McCarthy interviewing with Browns on Thursday.

JetsYanks13

It’s way more than Sam vs Shorty McShortstuff.  The browns have about 3 years worth of draft talent over the Jets. The Jets are a freakin dumpster fire on offense right now and even if Mac nails this draft PLUS free agents the Jets are still significantly behind the Browns in roster talent.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Jolot said:

Something tells me when push comes to shove he’s not going to want to deal with Bakers BS...but we’ll see.

This is an interesting point. Why would any couch want to work with Baker over Sam knowing how Baker behaved with Hue Jackson subsequent to his dismissal...

Guy doesn't seem to respect his coaches at all. 

10 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

This is an interesting point. Why would any couch want to work with Baker over Sam knowing how Baker behaved with Hue Jackson subsequent to his dismissal...

Guy doesn't seem to respect his coaches at all. 

Well, Baker is the better QB right now, there's that. Then there's also the fact that his teammates loved how he stuck up for them after Jackson went on his post firing blame everyone but me media junket. Finally, there's the little matter that your last sentence has no basis in fact whatsoever. Williams and Kitchens love him, as does Lincoln Riley, his college coach. 

Look I’m not losing any sleep over McCarthy. If he wants to go to the Browns a franchise who likes to fire coaches and GMs ok.  I mean picking Cleveland over New York. Give me a break. If he comes here then alright but I wouldn’t break the bank on him. One of the biggest decisions is who they choose as DC. You can’t win with some of the players and D scheme we had last year. 

13 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Well, Baker is the better QB right now, there's that. Then there's also the fact that his teammates loved how he stuck up for them after Jackson went on his post firing blame everyone but me media junket. Finally, there's the little matter that your last sentence has no basis in fact whatsoever. Williams and Kitchens love him, as does Lincoln Riley, his college coach. 

Hyperbole maybe, but definite basis in fact. If I'm a coach, esp one who just canned (in part) due to relationship with my star qb going south... The last thing I'd want is to gamble on a QB who delights on trolling his former coach.

I never mentioned how those other coaches feel about him but how he shows his respect. Those dudes didn't cross him. If the time came and your his coach and he needs to sit or take hard feedback...

That's me projecting how I'd feel in his shoes of course, but I don't think it's based on nothing. 

1 minute ago, ryu79 said:

Hyperbole maybe, but definite basis in fact. If I'm a coach, esp one who just canned (in part) due to relationship with my star qb going south... The last thing I'd want is to gamble on a QB who delights on trolling his former coach. That's me projecting how I'd feel in his shoes of course, but I don't think it's based on nothing. 

Ok, that sounds a lot better, and makes perfect sense, and I have no problem with it. In fact, I said almost the same thing a few hours earlier, LOL

13 minutes ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

I think it’s pretty obvious McCarthy is going to Cleveland, and is using the Jets as leverage to get a better offer from the Browns. 

I wouldn't say anything is obvious. There are problems with the Cleveland job. From the 2 year life span of coaches being far worse than ours to the realistic potential Mayfield has to be a troublesome sort of ego based guy.  I'm thinking these interviews are a true gauging of which team/org he wants to work with more. He turned down the Arizona job and they were throwing him the keys to the city and a blank check. That would have been a great place to use as leverage with the way they came at him. If leverage is all he needed. They have Rosen, who McCarthy could easily feel he can make into a great one.

McCarthy knows he can basically get what he wants right now. The Jets and Browns both have significant positives at the moment, but the positives differ outside of the franchise QB being young and in house. 

I'd say the thing that gives me the most concern is the relationship he and Dorsey already have. That's the real hurdle as I believe Sam is more of who McCarthy would want to work with if all things were equal. 

21 minutes ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

I think it’s pretty obvious McCarthy is going to Cleveland, and is using the Jets as leverage to get a better offer from the Browns. 

He may ultimately sign there. But what exactly makes it obvious now?

3 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

McCarthy just got run out of town because of the fans and a QB who didn't want him anymore. Do you think he opts for a place that fires coaches like many change their underwear? Starting with Mangini, the coaches have had 2 years, Shurmur 2 years, Chudinzski? 1 year, Pattine 2 years, and Jackson 2 1/2 years. If they hire anyone other than williams, we can add Williams 1/2 year.

People get frustrated with the patience the Johnson's have shown, but in this case, it may help us land our HC.

Jackson should of been canned last year.

Please Browns sign him. Seriously though, it seems like a better fit in Cleveland.. I have not seen us ask to interview Waldron yet, but Monken seems like a really intriguing guy. Fitzpatrick is super high on him, and he probably has some relationships still open with Jets guys including MacCagnan. McCarthy is not the worst choice but he is close.

100% agree. I feel like I’m in bizarro land reading these McCarthy threads.

Like how is it possible none of you have watched a Packers game in the last eight years?

8 minutes ago, The Troll said:

100% agree. I feel like I’m in bizarro land reading these McCarthy threads.

Like how is it possible none of you have watched a Packers game in the last eight years?

Let’s go back 8 years, shall we?

2010- Super Bowl win (10-6)

2011 - Divisonal Round (15-1)

2012 - Divisonal Round (11-5)

2013 - WC Round (8-7-1)

2014 - NFC Championship (12-4)

2015 - Divisonal Round (10-6)

2016 - NFC Championship (10-6)

2017 - (7-9)

2018 - (6-7-1)

I’m confused as to where the Jets have had the same amount of success in their entire history of being a franchise as McCarthy has had as a Head Coach .

Let’s go back 8 years, shall we?
2010- Super Bowl win (10-6)
2011 - Divisonal Round (15-1)
2012 - Divisonal Round (11-5)
2013 - WC Round (8-7-1)
2014 - NFC Championship (12-4)
2015 - Divisonal Round (10-6)
2016 - NFC Championship (10-6)
2017 - (7-9)
2018 - (6-7-1)

I’m confused as to where the Jets have had the same amount of success in their entire history of being a franchise as McCarthy has had as a Head Coach .

First of all, I said eight years, not nine. I’m aware that they won a Super Bowl when Steve Carell was still on the Office.

Second, I said “WATCH” the Packers, not list their record. They have Aaron Rodgers. That helps their record. I could list John Fox’s record in Denver and you’d think he’s the next BB instead of what Chicago proved him to be: a coaching dinosaur that the game passed by.

Mike McCarthy, like every single Jets coach since Parcells, coaches not to lose. I’ve had my fill of that.

6 minutes ago, The Troll said:

First of all, I said eight years, not nine. I’m aware that they won a Super Bowl when Steve Carell was still on the Office.

Second, I said “WATCH” the Packers, not list their record. They have Aaron Rodgers. That helps their record. I could list John Fox’s record in Denver and you’d think he’s the next BB instead of what Chicago proved him to be: a coaching dinosaur that the game passed by.

Mike McCarthy, like every single Jets coach since Parcells, coaches not to lose. I’ve had my fill of that.

It’s January 2nd and the 2019 season hasn’t started yet..did you really have to be petty and say “I said 8 years not 9”??

i have watched them and he developed Aaron Rodgers so there’s the positive McCarthy contribution to the W/L record in that. The Packers have drafted so god awful, zero free agency play and have not built or put any type of talent around Rodgers besides Devonte Adams. They thought they could pull a NE Patriots and surround Rodgers with nothing, focusing on defense, turns out you have to draft well to do that. 

GB’s front office has been quietly bad for awhile. They kicked Thompson out of the GM chair just to give him a cubical down the hall.

lastly, Sean Payton runs maaaany of the exact same west coast concepts and rarely does much different so I don’t buy into the dinosaur crap. Like I said in the other thread when I responded to you — if you think a guy is going to approach a new job in the same way that got him fired from his last job...well then you are just hoping that he does to fit your narrative.

It’s January 2nd and the 2019 season hasn’t started yet..did you really have to be petty and say “I said 8 years not 9”?
i have watched them and he developed Aaron Rodgers so there’s the positive McCarthy contribution to the W/L record in that. The Packers have drafted so god awful, zero free agency play and have not built or put any type of talent around Rodgers besides Devonte Adams. They thought they could pull a NE Patriots and surround Rodgers with nothing, focusing on defense, turns out you have to draft well to do that. 
GB’s front office has been quietly bad for awhile. They kicked Thompson out of the GM chair just to give him a cubical down the hall.
lastly, Sean Payton runs maaaany of the exact same west coast concepts and rarely does much different so I don’t buy into the dinosaur crap. Like I said in the other thread when I responded to you — if you think a guy is going to approach a new job in the same way that got him fired from his last job...well then you are just hoping that he does to fit your narrative.

I mean, he didn’t change in over a decade in Green Bay, so why would he change now? How many special people change? How many lives are living strange? Where were you while McCarthy was getting fired? It’s mighty presumptuous of you to think just because he got fired in Green Bay, he’s gonna go from coaching like a scared little girl to needing a wheelbarrow to carry around his massive balls. If we hire him, I sure hope you’re right, but I doubt it very seriously. I’d rather find out through watching him in Cleveland.

And don’t give me that “It just turned 2019” crap. I meant eight as in eight seasons. 2011-2018.

5 minutes ago, The Troll said:

mean, he didn’t change in over a decade in Green Bay, so why would he change now? How many special people change? How many lives are living strange? Where were you while McCarthy was getting fired? I

Yeah. I guess getting fired from a long time job doesn’t make one reflect on what went wrong and how he can fix it. What a goof I am for thinking that.

6 minutes ago, The Troll said:

And don’t give me that “It just turned 2019” crap. I meant eight as in eight seasons. 2011-2018.

Ahhh...so you purposely didn’t include the SB season the year before. Gotcha’. Makes sense because, ya know, narratives and stuff.

Ahhh...so you purposely didn’t include the SB season the year before. Gotcha’. Makes sense because, ya know, narratives and stuff.

Point being, the game has drastically evolved since then. 2010 might as well be 1994. One of the major knocks on McCarthy is his lack of evolution. That he was a championship caliber coach in 2010 isn’t very relevant now. He was fired for a reason, ya know?

As for the other point that I can’t quote on mobile, did Fox or Fisher change after losing their long time jobs? Did Mangini or Chip Kelly change after losing their short time jobs? Andy Reid changed and that’s about it. But it’s virtually a guarantee that McCarthy sees the light, right? Because you say so? You’re not Stone Cold. I’m gonna need more than that.

5 hours ago, nycdan said:

Well...everyone but GB :)

Sounds like it's likely Browns but Jets may be a dark horse.  I doubt he drags it out too long.  Might even just agree to terms on Thursday with CLE but I hope he gives us a real look first.

Live in Cleveland- Live in New York

Cleveland - colder than a witch’s nipple, ugly as the day is long, deemed as the most miserable city in the USA. 

The Ohio city on the Cuyahoga River has high unemployment, dismal weather, hefty taxes, corruption and mediocre sports teams, all of which have propelled it to the No 1 position in the Forbes.com list.

"Cleveland nabbed the top spot as a result of poor ratings across the board. It was the only city that fell in the bottom half of rankings in all nine categories," Forbes said on it website.

New York - Greatest Metropolis in the world 

Such a tough decision ?

28 minutes ago, The Troll said:

Point being, the game has drastically evolved since then. 2010 might as well be 1994. One of the major knocks on McCarthy is his lack of evolution. That he was a championship caliber coach in 2010 isn’t very relevant now. He was fired for a reason, ya know?

As for the other point that I can’t quote on mobile, did Fox or Fisher change after losing their long time jobs? Did Mangini or Chip Kelly change after losing their short time jobs? Andy Reid changed and that’s about it. But it’s virtually a guarantee that McCarthy sees the light, right? Because you say so? You’re not Stone Cold. I’m gonna need more than that.

He reached the NFC Championship in 2014 and  2016....are you being serious or just living up to the screen name?

And every individual is different, I can’t say for sure that he will just like you can’t say for sure that he can’t. He’s also lot better than John freakin’ Fox , Jeff Fisher, Mangini and Chip Kelly. None of these names were very good from the start.

And luckily he can also get the best out of Darnold from a QB development standpoint opposed to any other HC Candidate. There are more benfifical factors to hiring McCarthy rather than him just being a very accomplished coach. Hiring McCarthy and rolling the dice on whether he hires a innovative OC to help out or just plain draws up newer concepts is a lot better than hiring the 1 year OC from KC or the QB coach from LA. 

I honestly don’t think his schemes were that “dried up” to begin with, I feel like the personnel, the Rodgers rifts, the limited talent and such also played a part in the offensive output. Should he have played Alex Collins sooner? Sure, woah, big indictment when sitting parallel to his coaching resume. Honestly,  I’m really only playing by your rules in this debate and throwing out ways he can satisfy you guys because I think it’s far easier and more likely of him putting out a offense with schemes up to the standards of McCarthy’s nay sayer than it is that we hit on a QB coach or 1 year OC. Like I said, Sean Payton runs many of the same concepts that McCarthy runs. I don’t feel like the scheme is so outdated that you completely disregard him for the hire.

He reached the NFC Championship in 2014 and  2016....are you being serious or just living up to the screen name? And every individual is different, I can’t say for sure that he will just like you can’t say for sure that he can’t. He’s also lot better than John freakin’ Fox , Jeff Fisher, Mangini and Chip Kelly. None of these names were very good from the start.

And luckily he can also get the best out of Darnold from a QB development standpoint opposed to any other HC Candidate. There are more benfifical factors to hiring McCarthy rather than him just being a very accomplished coach. Hiring McCarthy and rolling the dice on whether he hires a innovative OC to help out or just plain draws up newer concepts is a lot better than hiring the 1 year OC from KC or the QB coach from LA. 

I honestly don’t think his schemes were that “dried up” to begin with, I feel like the personnel, the Rodgers rifts, the limited talent and such also played a part in the offensive output. Should he have played Alex Collins sooner? Sure, woah, big indictment when sitting parallel to his coaching resume. Honestly,  I’m really only playing by your rules in this debate and throwing out ways he can satisfy you guys because I think it’s far easier and more likely of him putting out a offense with schemes up to the standards of McCarthy’s nay sayer than it is that we hit on a QB coach or 1 year OC.

The 2014 NFC Championship? Where they blew a 16 point lead? The 2016 NFC Championship? Where they were down 24-0 at halftime? Exemplary coaching performances, those were.

Aaron Jones, not Alex Collins. And, yes, I consider that a big knock on McCarthy and a big reason why I wouldn’t expect him to come here and suddenly be aggressive. Because he’s STUBBORN.

How many miracle plays have we seen Aaron Rodgers make over the years? Those are things that bailed out McCarthy’s mediocre coaching.

Look no matter what, I am obviously not going to convince you that McCarthy is anything less than what his record says he is. And you are not going to Men in Black brain wipe me from all the stupid sh*t I’ve seen McCarthy do over the years. Most of the fan base is pushing for a guy with HC experience because they don’t want someone to have to “learn on the job”, yet after 12 years, McCarthy is still making Bowles level game management mistakes on Sundays.

And, by the way, John Fox was 46-18 in Denver and went to a Super Bowl. Point being, your coaching record does not mean a guy is always what it says he is.

12 minutes ago, The Troll said:

The 2014 NFC Championship? Where they blew a 16 point lead? The 2016 NFC Championship? Where they were down 24-0 at halftime? Exemplary coaching performances, those were.

The blown 14 pt lead has many layers to it. Let’s not make it as cut and dry as McCarthy’s fault. He has a playoff record of 10-8 overall so cherry pick those two games if it helps you.

How many miracle plays have we seen Aaron Rodgers make over the years? Those are things that bailed out McCarthy’s mediocre coaching.

Did you actually know that Aaron Rodgers is 0-35 in the 4th Quarter trailing by 1 point to teams with winning records?

Look no matter what, I am obviously not going to convince you that McCarthy is anything less than what his record says he is. And you are not going to Men in Black brain wipe me from all the stupid sh*t I’ve seen McCarthy do over the years. 

Yes, 9 playoff appearances, 2 Championship Games, a SB wIn and countless other achievements definitely is “stupid”. And I’m sure the game management mistakes that you speak of are soooo bad that going 15-1 in 2011 or having so much success in his tenure with GB is indicative of that. Right?

look...let’s just agree to disagree here, you’re right, we obviously arent  going to be convinced of anything else than what we believe now so we can put it to rest here.

6 hours ago, Ruby2 said:

I also wonder how his relationship with Dorsey is.

I feel like thats what it will really come down to. If him and Dorsey are tight, I dont see how we can compete with that.

Dorsey will be his boss.  His only boss on the jets will be an easily manipulated greenhorn named Chris.

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

It’s January 2nd and the 2019 season hasn’t started yet..did you really have to be petty and say “I said 8 years not 9”??

I think it is interesting otnote that none of the highest paid QBs mde the playoffs this year.  A trend?  Or fluke?

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

This "dinosaur" stuff is overrated.  You do not need 35 formations to succeed on offense.  If you can run the ball and run it well, it wipes away a lot of the so called shortcomings.  There is no safer, better way to run an offense.  The Colts, Seahawks and Cowboys know this.  If the Cowboys had a really talented QB to go with their D, they would be scaring a lot of people.

7 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

McCarthy just got run out of town because of the fans and a QB who didn't want him anymore. Do you think he opts for a place that fires coaches like many change their underwear? Starting with Mangini, the coaches have had 2 years, Shurmur 2 years, Chudinzski? 1 year, Pattine 2 years, and Jackson 2 1/2 years. If they hire anyone other than williams, we can add Williams 1/2 year.

People get frustrated with the patience the Johnson's have shown, but in this case, it may help us land our HC.

If ya win you keep your job if you lose you’re out. 

So if you’re a winning coach you stay....except in Green Bay. ?

56 minutes ago, jack48 said:

This "dinosaur" stuff is overrated.  You do not need 35 formations to succeed on offense.  If you can run the ball and run it well, it wipes away a lot of the so called shortcomings.  There is no safer, better way to run an offense.  The Colts, Seahawks and Cowboys know this.  If the Cowboys had a really talented QB to go with their D, they would be scaring a lot of people.

We can't run the ball, and I don't want the Cowboys offense,  I think it mostly scares Cowboy fans, and of course, Jerry and mini-me.

4 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

We can't run the ball, and I don't want the Cowboys offense,  I think it mostly scares Cowboy fans, and of course, Jerry and mini-me.

I would love to have the Cowboys running game, with Sam.  Gotta build an OL

2 hours ago, jack48 said:

I would love to have the Cowboys running game, with Sam.  Gotta build an OL

We couldn't get a damn foot against the Pats last Sunday, just a disgusting display by our underwhelming Oline. I think even Winters sucks & is overpaid! 

5 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

So when is McCarthy interviewing with the Jets?  

No word on it yet. I bet it’s going to be Friday or Saturday and my thoughts are that the Jets/Browns really may be the only two teams the guy even interviews with. 

Ian Rapoport is usually on the money and I don’t doubt it here.

Archived