McCarthy interviewing with Browns on Thursday.

JetsYanks13

A dissenting view on McCarthy. From former OL, Geoff Schwartz on SB Nation -- article was written during season, before McCarthy was fired:

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/11/26/18113003/packers-should-fire-mike-mccarthy-aaron-rodgers-nfl-week-12-recap

After another underwhelming loss on the road, the Packers sixth road loss this season, the time is here. It’s probably been time for awhile, but with the ability of Aaron Rodgers to overcome poor coaching and a lack of talent around him, there was a slim chance. So it’s clear what happens now. Mike McCarthy will be fired.

The Packers are broken. Their once formidable offense can barely muster up points when needed. In a must win game, they were only able to put 17 points on the board. How does this happen?

Mike McCarthy’s offense is bland. It’s boring, predictable, and worst of all, it doesn’t use Aaron Rodgers’ talent to the full extent. His offense has been passed up by new, exciting, vibrant and more creative offenses.

Those offenses — and I’ll acknowledge that not every team can be the ChiefsSaints or Rams — use formations, motions, shifts and personnel groupings to get receivers open and make for easy throws, easy pitch and catch style throws. The Packers should be using those too, especially with injuries and young, inexperienced receivers.

So what is the Packers offense?

The Packers line up in static formations with receivers spread out along the line of scrimmage. They use motion sparingly and don’t often get into stack or bunch formations to make things easier for their wide receivers.

They rely on their wideouts to get open rather than designing plays that get them open. This is why you see Rodgers holding the ball so long — no one is open. They often don’t have a rhythm to their offense, and it shows.

Is Rodgers blameless in this mess?

No. However, he hasn’t played up to his usual standards this season. For example, he missed a wide open Adams at the end of the Vikings game that would have cut the score to 24-21. Rodgers missed a third-and-2 throw two weeks ago that would have given the Packers a chance to win the game against the Seahawks.

Maybe it’s all a product of Rodgers not “feeling” this offense. We’ve seen that with his body language at times this season, and that leads to his play slipping. Whatever the problems, this offense is finished. So is McCarthy.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Lith said:

A dissenting view on McCarthy. From former OL, Geoff Schwartz on SB Nation -- article was written during season, before McCarthy was fired:

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/11/26/18113003/packers-should-fire-mike-mccarthy-aaron-rodgers-nfl-week-12-recap

After another underwhelming loss on the road, the Packers sixth road loss this season, the time is here. It’s probably been time for awhile, but with the ability of Aaron Rodgers to overcome poor coaching and a lack of talent around him, there was a slim chance. So it’s clear what happens now. Mike McCarthy will be fired.

The Packers are broken. Their once formidable offense can barely muster up points when needed. In a must win game, they were only able to put 17 points on the board. How does this happen?

Mike McCarthy’s offense is bland. It’s boring, predictable, and worst of all, it doesn’t use Aaron Rodgers’ talent to the full extent. His offense has been passed up by new, exciting, vibrant and more creative offenses.

Those offenses — and I’ll acknowledge that not every team can be the ChiefsSaints or Rams — use formations, motions, shifts and personnel groupings to get receivers open and make for easy throws, easy pitch and catch style throws. The Packers should be using those too, especially with injuries and young, inexperienced receivers.

The Packers line up in static formations with receivers spread out along the line of scrimmage. They use motion sparingly and don’t often get into stack or bunch formations to make things easier for their wide receivers.

They rely on their wideouts to get open rather than designing plays that get them open. This is why you see Rodgers holding the ball so long — no one is open. They often don’t have a rhythm to their offense, and it shows.

No. However, he hasn’t played up to his usual standards this season. For example, he missed a wide open Adams at the end of the Vikings game that would have cut the score to 24-21. Rodgers missed a third-and-2 throw two weeks ago that would have given the Packers a chance to win the game against the Seahawks.

Maybe it’s all a product of Rodgers not “feeling” this offense. We’ve seen that with his body language at times this season, and that leads to his play slipping. Whatever the problems, this offense is finished. So is McCarthy.

Definitely an interesting take.  

What I found odd about McCarthy is that he wanted to rebuild his offensive scheme this year and decided to bring in Joe Philbin to do so.  Seems like a step backwards if you’re trying to adjust to today’s game.  Odd hire.  

the common thing with McCarthy and Bowles...and others say gase...

Exactly, every wonder why you see a guy like T. Hill in KC, or name Patriot WR wide open? Well it is play design. When a guy like T Hill who is super talented , then on that same designed play, he is super wide open because of his talent.

RObbie Anderson big break last year we designed plus little talent and luck. Some were just toss ups. Bowles think oh lets just toss it up, let Robbie beat his man, well your job at the damn coach is to help your team win and make plays. 

Please god let us get a coach who actually uses our talent or at least tries. How many games this year do you see run on 1st and 2nd for a loss or 1 yard. Then remember when we had moster runs from crowell? they were not the same runs they were designed with blocks etc, give him space to move in. ugn I'm probably beating a dead horse but McCarthy sucks do not get him, I realize that now. 

40 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Definitely an interesting take.  

What I found odd about McCarthy is that he wanted to rebuild his offensive scheme this year and decided to bring in Joe Philbin to do so.  Seems like a step backwards if you’re trying to adjust to today’s game.  Odd hire.  

I have been waffling on McCarthy ever since he emerged as a possibliity for us.  Experienced coach, proven winner, maybe things have gotten stale in GB and he needs to move on.  On the other hand, GB offense has lacked creativity and McCarthy's coaching tree is pretty barren (Joe Philbin and Ben McAdoo are the only HC branches).

I talk to Packer fan friends of mine who tell me they think he would be a perfect fit for us with Darnold and that he would be re-energized by a new opportunity with a young stud QB to develop.

On balance, I am probably leaning more against than for, but I get the arguments for him.

30 minutes ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

McCarthy is interviewing to be the Head Coach not the OC. I will reserve judgement until I see what kind of staff he brings in.

He'll bring in a recycled guy that's been on the offensive staffs of something like 4 different teams over the past 15 years and has statistically been slightly above average.

McCarthy = McMediocrity

Just my opinion, but I'm not excited about Mike McCarthy.

16 minutes ago, Lith said:

I have been waffling on McCarthy ever since he emerged as a possibliity for us.  Experienced coach, proven winner, maybe things have gotten stale in GB and he needs to move on.  On the other hand, GB offense has lacked creativity and McCarthy's coaching tree is pretty barren (Joe Philbin and Ben McAdoo are the only HC branches).

I talk to Packer fan friends of mine who tell me they think he would be a perfect fit for us with Darnold and that he would be re-energized by a new opportunity with a young stud QB to develop.

On balance, I am probably leaning more against than for, but I get the arguments for him.

McCarthy would be an improvement for the Jets (who wouldn't?) but this would be a somewhat stale hire IMO.  The Jets would be trying to hit a double instead of swinging for the fences.  I'd put McCarthy in the group of Marty Shottenheimers and Jack Del Rios.

For as many issues as we had with Rex Ryan, let's not forget what a breath of fresh air it was to have a true innovator from one side of the ball come in and motivate a team.  Just because the Jets haven't had longterm success recently with first-time HCs like Mangini (average), Ryan (the best of them) and Bowles (the worst of them) doesn't mean we shouldn't try again.  Every head coach in the NFL was a first-timer at one point.

My only counterargument (to myself) might be that stability and a high-floor coach like McCarthy might be better in these formative years for Darnold than taking a chance on an unknown but "high ceiling" rookie HC.  If we bring in McCarthy, he develops Darnold but the Jets never really break through to anything more than say a 9 or 10 win team over the next 4 years then maybe that's the point, once the QB is established, that we can again stomach a first-time HC and outside the box innovator who takes chances?

8 minutes ago, Lith said:

Agreed.  He admittedly tried to change things up this year and failed miserably.  I’m not sure how much re-energizing himself is going to change things for him.  

1 hour ago, Lith said:

I disagree with this as to the Rams. The difficulty in defending the Rams is that they do NOT change personnel groups and do NOT line up in different formations. They use the same players lined up the same way to run a a bunch of different plays. This is why they are difficult to defend. They do not tip their hand with formations and personnel groups.

Every negative thing people are saying about McCarthy is almost exactly what they were saying when Andy Reid was fired in Philadelphia.

The similarities are actually astounding. Reid's Eagles were 130-93-1 is 14 seasons; 1 SB appearance; 5 conference championship games;  6 Division crowns; 9 playoff appearances. And he finished his last two seasons at 8-8 and 4-12 with louder and louder questions about his in game decisions, clock management, and offensive scheme.

While it is clear that is was McCarthy's time to go in GB, it was the same for Reid. It didn't mean they had suddenly become bad coaches. Often times change is good. 

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Sounds like a perfect fit for the jets.  Any way we can get Geno or Sanchez back here?  They'd blend right into that offense. 

3 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Every negative thing people are saying about McCarthy is almost exactly what they were saying when Andy Reid was fired in Philadelphia.

The similarities are actually astounding. Reid's Eagles were 130-93-1 is 14 seasons; 1 SB appearance; 5 conference championship games;  6 Division crowns; 9 playoff appearances. And he finished his last two seasons at 8-8 and 4-12 with louder and louder questions about his in game decisions, clock management, and offensive scheme.

While it is clear that is was McCarthy's time to go in GB, it was the same for Reid. It didn't mean they had suddenly become bad coaches. Often times change is good. 

Good post. Personally, I'd love for McCarthy to come here and have the same success that Andy Reid has had in KC. ?

5 hours ago, Lith said:

This article is spot on. "System" coaches, especially those locked into old systems are a dying breed in the NFL. Today's NFL needs leaders that create an offense and defense around the players it has,, not try to stick players into defined roles in their systems. Defenses have evolved over the last 30 years to stop WC principles. They are just not as effective any more. The same route concepts can be still be used but they need to be presented in ways that defenses cant recognize it. Then they need new concepts and offensive elements mixed in that gets receivers open. McCarthy is just not that guy. People want McCarthy because of his resume not his actual abilities as a coach and because "he coached up Rodgers". McCarthy is really in many ways the worst choice for this team. And he is as conservative and bad at game management as Bowles.

4 hours ago, johnnysd said:

This article is spot on. "System" coaches, especially those locked into old systems are a dying breed in the NFL. Today's NFL needs leaders that create an offense and defense around the players it has,, not try to stick players into defined roles in their systems. Defenses have evolved over the last 30 years to stop WC principles. They are just not as effective any more. The same route concepts can be still be used but they need to be presented in ways that defenses cant recognize it. Then they need new concepts and offensive elements mixed in that gets receivers open. McCarthy is just not that guy. People want McCarthy because of his resume not his actual abilities as a coach and because "he coached up Rodgers". McCarthy is really in many ways the worst choice for this team. And he is as conservative and bad at game management as Bowles.

I applaud your persistent calling McCarthy the worst possible coach. 

But most of what you say completely ignores the fact that McCarthy could have easily already looked the last few weeks from an outside perspective and said “sh*t, I can add some plays like that”. You are saying McCarthy is incapable of making changes,yet all the 1st timers you want with ZeRO HC in NFL experience not only have to learn the job they also would have to learn what they need to change to work in the league. 

So what happened that made his offensive system obsolete? Doesn’t make sense to me especially since rules have further been bent to help the offense. Sounds like his system was always pretty straight forward so it wasn’t ever really catching defenses by surprise- why did it suddenly stop working? 

Archived