If Jets sign Le'Veon Bell would they trade for Antonio Brown?

playtowinthegame

Let's say the Jets hire Mike McCarthy, and afterwards sign Le'Veon Bell to a deal similar to Todd Gurley. Do you think acquiring Le'Veon Bell would make the Jets favorites to trade for Bell's close friend Antonio Brown? Darnold is on his rookie deal, and Jets could easily absorb both Bell and Brown. Could the Jets pry Antonio Brown away by trading down from their 3rd overall pick all the way down to the Steelers 20th overall pick and also get back the Steelers 52nd overall pick? I'm not sure what it would take or if the Steelers would want a deal like that. Both Brown and Bell together would be a very big cap hit. Would you go for both Bell and Brown?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, FidelioJet said:

I think you would really have to do some research on Brown.  Having both of those guys that talented would change everything for this team - and give Darnold the weapons he needs to grow.

You just better understand what the issues were.

Agreed. No question they have talent but both seem like headaches.  Also I’m scared once Bell gets his money he will pull a Trumaine Johnson

9 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I think you would really have to do some research on Brown.  Having both of those guys that talented would change everything for this team - and give Darnold the weapons he needs to grow.

You just better understand what the issues were.

Say it works. Do you think Darnold would have a 2nd year similar to Patrick Mahomes?

If this is true about Brown, just wow. 

Team MVP snub may have sparked Antonio Brown’s ire

Posted by Mike Florio on January 3, 2019, 10:43 AM EST

GettyImages-1074161152-e1546530153714.jp
Getty Images

So what prompted Steelers receiver Antonio Brownto go AWOL, only days after having his best game of the season? Some are pointing to the internal vote that resulted in not Brown but receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster being named the team’s MVP for 2018.

The team announced that Smith-Schuster won the award on Thursday. Not Brown, who was in the discussion for NFL MVP in 2017 — and who won his franchise-record fourth team MVP award last year.

If the players learned about it on Wednesday, the outcome would help explain why Brown was feeling disrespected and unappreciated on the practice field, where he reportedly threw a football at Ben Roethlisberger and stormed out.

Simms and I have been batting around that theory throughout the week on PFT Live, and Albert Breer of SI.com cites an unnamed source in support of the notion that the MVP vote sparked the eruption.

“He was unreal in New Orleans, we still lost, and the vote comes out and it’s JuJu,” the unnamed source told Breer. “So [Brown] shows up for work, he’s not voted MVP, he’s in a bad way, and that carried over into the walkthrough.”

Jeremy Fowler of ESPN.com reports that Brown wanted to see whether the Steelers would thrive without him, and whether Smith-Schuster would perform at a high level without Brown on the field to draw attention away from the second-year player.

Thursday’s announcement, which came at a time when no one outside the organization knew about the latest Brown incident, sparked speculation that quarterback Ben Roethlisberger would be miffed about the snub. But the player most upset by the outcome apparently was Brown.

Again, the players vote for the MVP award. At a time when much has been said regarding whether the players would welcome Brown back, it’s fair to ask whether Brown wants to return. That’s a critically important question; how it’s resolved will go a long way toward determining how the relationship between Brown and the Steelers unfolds in 2019.

16 minutes ago, slats said:

If this is true about Brown, just wow. 

Team MVP snub may have sparked Antonio Brown’s ire

Posted by Mike Florio on January 3, 2019, 10:43 AM EST

GettyImages-1074161152-e1546530153714.jp
Getty Images

So what prompted Steelers receiver Antonio Brownto go AWOL, only days after having his best game of the season? Some are pointing to the internal vote that resulted in not Brown but receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster being named the team’s MVP for 2018.

The team announced that Smith-Schuster won the award on Thursday. Not Brown, who was in the discussion for NFL MVP in 2017 — and who won his franchise-record fourth team MVP award last year.

If the players learned about it on Wednesday, the outcome would help explain why Brown was feeling disrespected and unappreciated on the practice field, where he reportedly threw a football at Ben Roethlisberger and stormed out.

Simms and I have been batting around that theory throughout the week on PFT Live, and Albert Breer of SI.com cites an unnamed source in support of the notion that the MVP vote sparked the eruption.

“He was unreal in New Orleans, we still lost, and the vote comes out and it’s JuJu,” the unnamed source told Breer. “So [Brown] shows up for work, he’s not voted MVP, he’s in a bad way, and that carried over into the walkthrough.”

Jeremy Fowler of ESPN.com reports that Brown wanted to see whether the Steelers would thrive without him, and whether Smith-Schuster would perform at a high level without Brown on the field to draw attention away from the second-year player.

Thursday’s announcement, which came at a time when no one outside the organization knew about the latest Brown incident, sparked speculation that quarterback Ben Roethlisberger would be miffed about the snub. But the player most upset by the outcome apparently was Brown.

Again, the players vote for the MVP award. At a time when much has been said regarding whether the players would welcome Brown back, it’s fair to ask whether Brown wants to return. That’s a critically important question; how it’s resolved will go a long way toward determining how the relationship between Brown and the Steelers unfolds in 2019.

If that's all, he should definitely come to the Jets.

The bar is a lot lower for team MVP.

hard hard pass on a guy who just quit on his team in a game they needed to win to make the playoffs.

I don't care how many yards and TDs he's caught over his career.

I don't want that guy on my team.

It's madding that some people on this board just don't seem to care.

2 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

hard hard pass on a guy who just quit on his team in a game they needed to win to make the playoffs.

I don't care how many yards and TDs he's caught over his career.

I don't want that guy on my team.

It's madding that some people on this board just don't seem to care.

for real. this is similar to Todd Bowles "throwing in the towel in 2017 when McCown got hurt. I have no proof of this but when John Morton stood up after the game and said we were "waiving the white flag" we needed to get out of of there.... I truly believe that was more bowles than Morton. Morton was the sacrificial lamb.

I don't want any quitter, or the "i quit mentality" on this team. That goes for players and coaches. 

15 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Translation: Yes to JAGS

Better Translation:

No to paying a RB a mega contract who's attitude is money over football.  Nothing wrong with a player treating this like a business, but Jets shouldn't fund Bell's retirement.  There is no reason to think that once Bell, who sat out a year from the game because 14M (or something like that) wasn't enough is going to work hard once you give him 30M guaranteed plus another 30 more, or so.

No to paying a mega contract to a WR who doesn't get along with his teammates and who is on the wrong side of 30.

Even Better Translation:

Draft and cultivate your own talent.

2 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Better Translation:

No to paying a RB a mega contract who's attitude is money over football.  Nothing wrong with a player treating this like a business, but Jets shouldn't fund Bell's retirement.  There is no reason to think that once Bell, who sat out a year from the game because 14M (or something like that wasn't enough) is going to work hard once you give him 30M guaranteed plus another 30 more, or so.

No to paying a mega contract to a WR who doesn't get along with his teammates and who is on the wrong side of 30.

Even Better Translation:

Draft and cultivate your own talent.

Exactly. We’ve been down this road so many times and live to regret it

Just now, playtowinthegame said:

Sounds like a fairy tale. 

Doesn't matter.  It just doesn't matter that we haven't drafted well in the past.  That's the only way to win in this league.  You do not, ever, win by signing/trading for a bunch of mercenaries. 

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Doesn't matter.  It just doesn't matter that we haven't drafted well in the past.  That's the only way to win in this league.  You do not, ever, win by signing/trading for a bunch of mercenaries. 

The Rams are doing that with Goff playing in the third year of his rookie contract.

32 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Both Bell and Brown will have huge chips on their shoulders from all the negative press. 

SIGN ME UP both these guys top of ladder at respective positions something the NY Jets have never had. 

Yes, AB will have a huge chip ON HIS shoulder from the negative press he created by being the worst kind of teammate and quitting on his team.  How dare they criticize him for quitting on the team, putting himself first.  Damn it, hes worth it.  Hes AB.

Yeah, he'll have a chip.  He didnt think he needed to prove he was all in his HC, teammates and fans but he will for his new team and the press of a NYC which will be on his from day one because of who he is.  

Something tells me there is no way it works out well.  

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Braylon Edwards,Santonio Holmes,Alan Faneca,Thomas Jones,Jim Leonard,Bart Scott,Calvin Pace,Antonio Cromartie  on the 2009-2010  rosters. 

Not sure if they would be considered mercenaries but all left other teams and came here via a trade or looking for more money. 

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This is true. You have to go alllllll the way back to last years superbowl to find a champion that was very active in free agency. It's not like they added WR's in free agency though. Alshon Jeffery and Torrey Smith self-identified as Eagles draft picks.

5 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

The Rams are doing that with Goff playing in the second year of his rookie contract.

The Rams have 3 Pro Bowl players, their 3 best players, Goff, Gurley, Donald, all drafted by the team.

Draft your core, then you can add some trinkets.

21 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Translation: Yes to JAGS

There are quite a few players set to hit the market that can be had for reasonable prices who are not JAGs.  If we're smart, we can get a nice haul out of free agency without going after the huge names. 

Options that come to mind:

• WR Golden Tate
  • WR Adam Humphries
  • WR Randall Cobb
  • WR Cole Beasley
  • RB Mark Ingram
  • TE Jesse James
  • C Matt Paradis
  • OT Ta'Wuan James
  • OT Trent Brown
  • OT Bobby Massie
  • OT Greg Robinson
  • G Rodger Saffold
  • DE Ziggy Ansah
  • DE Dion Jordan
  • DE/OLB Dee Ford
  • DE/OLB Shaq Barrett
  • OLB Shane Ray
  • CB Ronald Darby
  • CB Darqueze Dennard
  • CB Bryce Callahan
  • CB E.J. Gaines

And obviously there are also the big name pass-rushers like Anthony Barr, DeMarcus Lawrence and JaDeveon Clowney.  I'm not sure I expect any/all of them to break loose, but I'd MUCH rather invest big money in one of them rather than Le'Veon Bell or Antonio Brown.  

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

There are quite a few players set to hit the market that can be had for reasonable prices who are not JAGs.  If we're smart, we can get a nice haul out of free agency without going after the huge names

Options that come to mind:

• WR Golden Tate
  • WR Adam Humphries
  • WR Randall Cobb
  • WR Cole Beasley
  •  RB Mark Ingram
  • TE Jesse James
  • C Matt Paradis
  • OT Ta'Wuan James
  • OT Trent Brown
  • OT Bobby Massie
  • OT Greg Robinson
  •  G Rodger Saffold
  •  DE Ziggy Ansah
  • DE Dion Jordan
  • DE/OLB Dee Ford
  • DE/OLB Shaq Barrett
  • OLB Shane Ray
  • CB Ronald Darby
  • CB Darqueze Dennard
  • CB Bryce Callahan
  •  CB E.J. Gaines

Said this before, but, buy an offensive line in FA, and draft the pipeline behind them.

We are fine at veteran WR and RB.  Get young guys as potential number ones between this year and next.

Other than a pass rusher at 1.3, if that's what makes sense, let the defense sit for a year.  Worry about improving them further down the line.

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Braylon Edwards,Santonio Holmes,Alan Faneca,Thomas Jones,Jim Leonard,Bart Scott,Calvin Pace,Antonio Cromartie  on the 2009-2010  rosters. 

Not sure if they would be considered mercenaries but all left other teams and came here via a trade or looking for more money.

The core of that team was homegrown products.  Revis, Mangold, Ferguson. 

As EY pointed out, you have to have an established core.  You cannot create that with mercenaries. 

1 minute ago, TeddEY said:

Said this before, but, buy an offensive line in FA, and draft the pipeline behind them.

We are fine at veteran WR and RB.  Get young guys as potential number ones between this year and next.

Other than a pass rusher at 1.3, if that's what makes sense, let the defense sit for a year.  Worry about improving them further down the line. 

Agreed.  Paradis needs to be the top priority in free agency.  Grab at least one OT in free agency, if not 2.  We at minimum need a band-aid at RT with Shell's long-term injury. 

Saffold wouldn't be a bad pickup either. 

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Agree but we need to add some trinkets to this very young and inexperienced roster

See above, but: Build the foundation first.  Then the trinkets can come.  What we need is a line to protect Darnold and to be able to run the football.  We have Enunwa and Anderson who are solid football players.  Draft a potential #1 WR this year or next.  Same goes for RB.  If possible, trade down in the 1st to gain a 2nd round pick, and then use those picks for WR and RB.  If not, take the hopefully stud pass rusher available.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Agreed.  Paradis needs to be the top priority in free agency.  Grab at least one OT in free agency, if not 2.  We at minimum need a band-aid at RT with Shell's long-term injury. 

Saffold wouldn't be a bad pickup either

Wut?

Archived