It came down to money for McCarthy

Jet_Engine1

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, kdels62 said:

You don’t pocket salary cap money but let’s not let things that are true stop you from doing your thing. 

Probably healthiest to let the fairy tale go. I don't go the healthy route myself, but at least I'm aware of it, lol.

Some will not accept that the team offering top dollar but still getting turned down by FAs ≠ team trying not to sign such FAs. To such people, if we offer the same or greater money to 6 high-priced FAs, but 5 of those 6 choose to go elsewhere, it's an example of this team hoarding temporary cap space by design. Why? Because it saves payroll that due to CBA rules they'll eventually end up spending anyway or something.

Probably touches on conspiracy theory psychology. To some, "Owner didn't hire Mike McCarthy because he didn't think he's worth $8MM/year" is concrete proof of "Owner commanded GM to stay far under the cap limit." 

It of course proves nothing of the sort if it's true they didn't hire him over money. All that it would prove is Gase was not their top HC choice. Fans could still decide for themselves if we ended up with the right result anyway. 

4 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

This is pretty ugly too. If any of this is true. Basically Gase was their third choice but money and control got in the way.

Just very sad.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Here's what keeps me from being too upset about it, even though (if true) it's way facepalm-level stuff: when they get the very man they want, they're wrong anyway. Essentially, their best judgment and impulse for their top choice results in failure, so it's just as well we don't get their top choice lol. 

Like the George Costanza opposite religion. If every impulse they have is wrong...

4 hours ago, Dcat said:

Why should he?  It's just one of many unsupported speculative excuses as to why he's not the Jets HC.  Not one shred of credible evidence. There are a variety of reasons/excuses coming out about why the Jets rejected McCarthy...  this is just one of them and I have a feeling it is B.S.  on the part of McCarthy's agent.

Sounds like this is McCarthy’s camp trying to save face. But I think you are wrong about who in his camp is putting this out there. My gut tells me it’s Beningo.

2 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

The last 2 coaches they hired were of the most wanted that year. Like seriously the top candidates....this isnt true

Sent from the Suicide Watch desk.

The point I’m trying to make is that it’s virtually exclusively assistants.  If they’re the best of a pure garbage crop, who cares, they’re still garbage.  A team like Oakland, with a lot less resources than the Jet owner, can pull Gruden out of a TV booth, whether it was the correct move is debatable, and pay him $100mill over 10 years, and they get a real HC.

I didn’t want Bowles and I didn’t want Quinn either the supposed to 2 candidates, just like I didn’t want Maccagnan or Idzik.  These are all 4th and 5th choices the Jets always settle on....and the results are always very very predictable.

the space between the 93% floor and the 100% cap is unspent funds and go right back into ownership pockets.

Coaches funds are uncapped.

You don’t pocket salary cap money but let’s not let things that are true stop you from doing your thing. 

24 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

The point I’m trying to make is that it’s virtually exclusively assistants.  If they’re the best of a pure garbage crop, who cares, they’re still garbage.  A team like Oakland, with a lot less resources than the Jet owner, can pull Gruden out of a TV booth, whether it was the correct move is debatable, and pay him $100mill over 10 years, and they get a real HC.

I didn’t want Bowles and I didn’t want Quinn either the supposed to 2 candidates, just like I didn’t want Maccagnan or Idzik.  These are all 4th and 5th choices the Jets always settle on....and the results are always very very predictable.

This time they didn't hire assistants.  They hired a three year head coach and are on the verge of hiring a 15 year defensive coordinator.  What else do you want?  They didn't hire Rhule, or Klingsbury  or any of the other flavor of the month club guys. I wanted McCarthy too at the outset, but I understand why they didn't hire him and don't believe it was about money.  This is a Billion Dollar football team. Eight Million dollars to pay a head coach is not going to bother them,  Nor should it.  They were reportedly ready to hire Rhule, who made about four million and had to be bought out of his contract.  How much do you think that was going to cost?  What the Raiders got for their hundred million dollars is a has been, unstable, maniac who did a good job of blowing up the team in his first season.  Whether  he can rebuild it with the draft picks he garnered remains to be seen.  At the moment it doesn't look too good.  He's supposedly this QB guru, yet his current QB who is a veteran with some status in the league reportedly hates him and it is also reported that Gruden doesn't like him either and wants him replaced.  Is that the "steady hand of experience" you are looking for?  Can you imagine what the result would be if that happened here?  It would make this latest Bowles fiasco look like " sleepy time in the park".  I think we got it right this time. We'll see  But the staff we have now is far from garbage.

45 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

This time they didn't hire assistants.  They hired a three year head coach and are on the verge of hiring a 15 year defensive coordinator.  What else do you want?  They didn't hire Rhule, or Klingsbury  or any of the other flavor of the month club guys. I wanted McCarthy too at the outset, but I understand why they didn't hire him and don't believe it was about money.  This is a Billion Dollar football team. Eight Million dollars to pay a head coach is not going to bother them,  Nor should it.  They were reportedly ready to hire Rhule, who made about four million and had to be bought out of his contract.  How much do you think that was going to cost?  What the Raiders got for their hundred million dollars is a has been, unstable, maniac who did a good job of blowing up the team in his first season.  Whether  he can rebuild it with the draft picks he garnered remains to be seen.  At the moment it doesn't look too good.  He's supposedly this QB guru, yet his current QB who is a veteran with some status in the league reportedly hates him and it is also reported that Gruden doesn't like him either and wants him replaced.  Is that the "steady hand of experience" you are looking for?  Can you imagine what the result would be if that happened here?  It would make this latest Bowles fiasco look like " sleepy time in the park".  I think we got it right this time. We'll see  But the staff we have now is far from garbage.

I agree totally with you.  I should have provided more clarification in my last few posts.

I heard Gase on with Francesa today and now I'm personally totally on board with this hire.

I got what I wanted, a HC with top job experience, who in my opinion after hearing him today is bright with a quick mind. Can't ask for more.

The best part going forward in my mind is all the HC has to be is average at best and Darnold will take care of the rest if you give him a few more pieces personnel wise.  If Williams signs on watch the D be night and day better even if they had the SAME personnel as this year.

I made a call before last year that Mahomes would torch the entire league, now I'll make a much more easy one.  Jets are a playoff team NEXT year (they were an 8-8 team this year if they only had a below average HC).  I'm really liking how this staff is starting to come together.

2 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

I agree totally with you.  I should have provided more clarification in my last few posts.

I heard Gase on with Francesa today and now I'm personally totally on board with this hire.

I got what I wanted, a HC with top job experience, who in my opinion after hearing him today is bright with a quick mind. Can't ask for more.

The best part going forward in my mind is all the HC has to be is average at best and Darnold will take care of the rest if you give him a few more pieces personnel wise.  If Williams signs on watch the D be night and day better even if they had the SAME personnel as this year.

I made a call before last year that Mahomes would torch the entire league, now I'll make a much more easy one.  Jets are a playoff team NEXT year (they were an 8-8 team this year if they only had a below average HC).  I'm really liking how this staff is starting to come together.

Greg Williams will be the Jets Defensive Coordinator,  Take it to the bank. Mahomes is really a good Quarterback.  Didn't see that coming to this extent.  Maybe I was jaded because his dad sucked so bad for the Mets.  If you look at the rest of that draft though,  he's the only player selected around #6 that I would want over Adams.  These guys rip MacCagnan to shreds over that pick, but it's not the case.

41 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Greg Williams will be the Jets Defensive Coordinator,  Take it to the bank. Mahomes is really a good Quarterback.  Didn't see that coming to this extent.  Maybe I was jaded because his dad sucked so bad for the Mets.  If you look at the rest of that draft though,  he's the only player selected around #6 that I would want over Adams.  These guys rip MacCagnan to shreds over that pick, but it's not the case.

I looked way past how his dad pitched on some bad Met team (I'm a Met fan too).

I actually still rip Maccagnan for picking a Safety at 6, and if the Jets were forced into taking Allen or Rosen last year because the Giants didn't gift Darnold to the Jets I'd say the Adams pick was a huge mistake, because the Jets needed a QB in the worst way at the time Adams was picked and I wanted Mahomes with that pick, just sick talent, you could see it, just like I see it in Darnold.  I think Adams is already a great player, he took his pro game to another level this year.  Brian Baldinger has some great analysis of Adams on Twitter.

I can really enjoy the Adams pick now because he will lead the D to great heights with some (finally) good coaching, just like Darnold will lead the Offense.  But if Darnold was not a Jet, there would be no Allen or Rosen battles with Mahomes in AFC Championship Games like there will be Darnold vs Mahomes battles in the future, and I would not be happy with the Safety at 6 pick.  But it's not just that pick, Maccagnan's whole body of work, and that is how he should be judged, not on a single pick, leaves much to be desired, but lets just hope he just hit a HR with these coaching hires.....Darnold will make tons of mistakes be totally forgetten, as will Gase, if he is the goods.  He is definitely smart enough to be the goods.

4 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Again this statement doesnt make sense.....You said we basically are cheap and wont pay for top talent. You only have 3 choices in this league as far as hiring. You either hire a retread, you take a chance on a college coach or you hire a top assistant. He havent gone the college route (no complaints here) and this time we went for a retread. 

If Bowles and Quinn were the top candidates then we got the best of what was available. We cannot hire people who arent available or dont exist. We didnt settle, we took what was there. 

And dont get me started on Gruden....he is NOT a "real coach" c'mon man, you are better than this.  Pulling Gruden out of the TV booth wasnt the best use of resources, it was a PR move because they are moving to Vegas. That is a very bad comparison because it has literally NOTHING to do with football. 

My point is, you said we dont hire "real coaches" but the fact is that we have tried but chosen poorly. Sometimes its the luck of the draw (like us never having a top pick when there is a good QB available) or sometimes we dont have the right QB talent at the time we had a good coach (the Sanchize years).

Think about this.......when was the last time we got lucky enough to have a top pick..........at a time when a top QB dropped into our lap.............kept our failed coach long enough to secure ANOTHER top pick...........hired an offensive coach for the first time in 20 years.........have 100 mil in cap space...........have a bunch of young talent..........AND ARE GETTING NEW UNIFORMS?!?!?!?!

Dude, you better get a spot on your wall, there is a superbowl Jersey coming soon. 

Mark it down, double stamp, no erasies. 

16 hours ago, Untouchable said:

I don’t buy it at all.

I won’t deny that the Johnson’s are incompetent, but you’d have to have rocks in your skull to bring in McCarthy for an interview and not expect to pay him at least $8 million a year to be your coach.

I find it hard to believe that GB paid a coach 8 mil

5 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

TB frittered away a good amount of games with his Todd Bowles Defensive Genius defense this year, I agree

1) Organizational Power Structure

2) Own choice of assistants

3) Having no say in personnel while working for a GM who can't make a good pick

4) Money

Take your pick, as all of these has been reported as reasons for the breakdown.  And not all of these can be "agent spin" from the McCarthy camp. 

Archived