Eight years ago...

Jets86

Well technically eight years ago yesterday. The Jets beat the Patriots in a shocking playoff upset. Bart Scott said "Can't wait" in response to a question about the Steelers being next. Unfortunately that would be the last major highlight for the Jets. They came out flat in Pittsburgh. They never recovered.

I believe Darnold will lead us to ultimate glory!!

Just now, Jets86 said:

Well technically eight years ago yesterday. The Jets beat the Patriots in a shocking playoff upset. Bart Scott said "Can't wait" in response to a question about the Steelers being next. Unfortunately that would be the last major highlight for the Jets. They came out flat in Pittsburgh. They never recovered.

Wish we had 2 yr darnold behind that great OL, instead of suckchez.. we likely go all the way ?

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Our defense got killed in that pitt game in the 1st half if i recall by rahsard mendenhall.

The defense stopped giving points to Pitt before the offense stopped giving points to Pitt.  That opening drive they allowed was no doubt brutal, but no valid argument can be made that the offense wasn't the primary culprit of that failure when they scored 17 points for their own team, and 7 for the other team.

But yeah, that Pats game was friggin' awesome.

2 hours ago, Jets86 said:

Second only to Superbowl III, I stilll say that was the biggest win in team history

2 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

The defense stopped giving points to Pitt before the offense stopped giving points to Pitt.  That opening drive they allowed was no doubt brutal, but no valid argument can be made that the offense wasn't the primary culprit of that failure when they scored 17 points for their own team, and 7 for the other team.

But yeah, that Pats game was friggin' awesome.

Stop it.  The D was dominated all first half and the tone was set with an opening drive that lasted 15 plays, 9 minutes and resulted in a TD.  The O quickly got us back in it with a FG drive to end the first half and a TD less than 3 minutes into the second half.  Then with 3 minutes left and all three TOs all the D needed was to not show Pitt to get 2 1st downs to give our O a chance- they allowed 2 1st downs and allowed Pitt to run out the clock.

This was a team failure but the unit most responsible was our D.  If we had the NYG Day if 07/11 we make make SBs in 09 & 10

5 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

Second only to Superbowl III, I stilll say that was the biggest win in team history

Definitely the best win of my life but overall I think it's 3rd greatest in history, the 68 AFL championship game has to be number 2.

3 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Stop it.  The D was dominated all first half and the tone was set with an opening drive that lasted 15 plays, 9 minutes and resulted in a TD.  The O quickly got us back in it with a FG drive to end the first half and a TD less than 3 minutes into the second half.  Then with 3 minutes left and all three TOs all the D needed was to not show Pitt to get 2 1st downs to give our O a chance- they allowed 2 1st downs and allowed Pitt to run out the clock.

This was a team failure but the unit most responsible was our D.  If we had the NYG Day if 07/11 we make make SBs in 09 & 10

The bold is in contention for the dumbest argument ever made, which is truly saying something.

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Took  only 3 posts in a thread celebrating a big win for the franchise before the negativity crashed in.  

Couldnt  wait

In fairness, it actually only took 4 sentences into the OP for the negativity to start... just saying.

You can't really argue that Scott's rant doesn't lose a lot of its luster when you know how it all went from there.

11 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Depends how you look at things or if you have a agenda.. The Jets didn't up any  2nd half points, however if the offense hadn't fumbled the ball away leading to a D score in the first half the Jets win 19-17

9 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

In fairness, it actually only took 4 sentences into the OP for the negativity to start... just saying.

You can't really argue that Scott's rant doesn't lose a lot of its luster when you know how it all went from there.

He was only celebrating a good night where we all, hopefully, felt hopeful about that team and moving forward.  Worst part is, yes, knowing how fast it all went to shlt. I do agree 

That was a great night.  Probably the best game plan by Rex.  Even Francesa who hated the Jets and Rex during those days had to give him his due.  I really thought we had a chance after finally beating the Pats but that first half against Pitt was the beginning of the end

47 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

The bold is in contention for the dumbest argument ever made, which is truly saying something.

It was 24-0 with a minute left in the 2nd qtr, it was 24-10 and a game again with over 12 minutes left in the third.  As I said, the O quickly got us back in the game

40 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Depends how you look at things or if you have a agenda.. The Jets didn't up any  2nd half points, however if the offense hadn't fumbled the ball away leading to a D score in the first half the Jets win 19-17

I'm still not convinced that was a fumble but they ruled it that way.  If they didn't it's 4th down deep in our territory and we are punting with a struggling punter and Pitt gets the ball in great FP with plenty of time to at least kick a FG so instead of being down 24-3(21 pts) they would have been down at least 20-0(20 pts).  The fumble didn't cost us the game. What cost us the game was not being able to get a stop with 3 minutes left like a big time D should be able to.  The most important possession of the second half and the D folded

16 minutes ago, Jets86 said:

I may have to look back. But was there anybody who picked the Jets to win that day? Seemed it was a foregone conclusion that the Pats would win. Has to be one of the top 10 biggest upsets of all time.

Definitely not, everyone was picking the Pats to win.  They had faced off just a little over a month earlier, in the same stadium, and the Pats had routed the Jets 45-3.  After one close win against Indy (notorious for their poor playoff record), people were not particularly convinced this game would go any better for the Jets.  That's part of what made that game even more enjoyable.

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Listen, Sanchez wasn’t great but if you think a 13 year old Darnold would have been a better QB at the time... well. Maybe I’d buy that. Sure. 

His gay fan boys Argue he played better in playoffs. Yes he did ! Until the championship games.. we had the worst qb in nfl for 17 weeks, had we had a decent 1 we get the crucial bye the top teams enjoy. That is huge.. 

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

I'm still not convinced that was a fumble but they ruled it that way.  If they didn't it's 4th down deep in our territory and we are punting with a struggling punter and Pitt gets the ball in great FP with plenty of time to at least kick a FG so instead of being down 24-3(21 pts) they would have been down at least 20-0(20 pts).  The fumble didn't cost us the game. What cost us the game was not being able to get a stop with 3 minutes left like a big time D should be able to.  The most important possession of the second half and the D folded

And in the 1998-99 Denver Jet game the D gave up all their points in the 2nd half,a big time D should have been able to do better there also.. One of the funniest complaints is cursing out Doug Brien for missing a FG in the 2005 playoff loss to the Steelers.. What most don't mention is Chads offense scored 0 points in that game..

2 hours ago, Savage69 said:

And in the 1998-99 Denver Jet game the D gave up all their points in the 2nd half,a big time D should have been able to do better there also.. One of the funniest complaints is cursing out Doug Brien for missing a FG in the 2005 playoff loss to the Steelers.. What most don't mention is Chads offense scored 0 points in that game..

The O scored 3 but yes they lost that day because of O not Brien though Brien should have been able to make one of those kicks

2 hours ago, Savage69 said:

And in the 1998-99 Denver Jet game the D gave up all their points in the 2nd half,a big time D should have been able to do better there also.. 

True, but that 98 team was about offense, not defense. They were a good defense, but far from a great defense and I don't think they were ever purported to be a great defense. 

We lost that game because of turnovers. When the blocked punt and subsequent pitch to Martin put us up 10-0, we really should have been up 20 or 24 to nothing. 

Now, having said all of that, the game completely turned on Elway's dime to McCaffrey. 

Archived