the naysayers are planting the seed

rangerous

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Gase disagreed with the moves the FO wanted to make.  If his name was Mangini instead posters like you would be calling him a young genius who got fed up with incompetent ownership

Correct.  Stephen Ross wanted to rebuild.  Gase saw that as walking the plank.  It was like Bowles who wanted to win and wanted to start guys like McCown because he saw the W's and L's were going to lead to his firing.  Gase was sitting at just below .500 with a bad roster and a QB who he had improved but who he knew wasn't better than a 10-win guy under optimal circumstances.  If Miami was going to blow it up and suffer through a 5-win season (or two) then he wanted no part of it after 3 years of already being there.

Gase would have needed to go through a Tank season in 2019, then hopefully draft a good QB in 2020, then go through a rookie year with that QB before realistically competing for anything of significance.  He took a stand and then had the opportunity to fast-forward to where Miami will be in two years by coming to the Jets, a team that already went through the Tank season, drafted a good QB AND has gone through some of the initial growing pains of a rookie year QB.  Why wait on the long line with 7 people in front of you at the grocery store check-out when you can slide over to Lane 3 that only has 2 people in it?  That's what Gase did.

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

Why did the Dolphins need to rebuild? 

Ask Stephen Ross, but apparently he thinks it could take a year, two years, maybe three years.....

Dolphins owner Stephen Ross said firing Gase was one of the hardest decisions he's ever had to make and that he didn't make the decision until Monday morning -- after deliberating the future of his team after Sunday's 42-17 loss to the Buffalo Bills.

"We've succeeded in everything except winning on the football field," Ross said. "Today, we're no further along than when I bought the team."

Gase couldn't escape the mediocrity that has followed the Dolphins since 2000. He finished 23-25, with his lone playoff game being a wild-card loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2016. Miami was 7-9 this season.

Sources told ESPN's Jeff Darlington that trust between Gase and Ross had eroded in recent weeks -- and Gase had already rebuffed Ross' recent desire for him to give up control of the 53-man roster.

Ross mentioned several times that he wants to change the Dolphins' philosophy on building the team. He said he wants to get younger; Ross said Gase "wants to win now." And although Ross didn't say rebuild, it seems like the franchise is preparing to do that.

"We're going to build this organization based on our needs, and if it takes a year, two years, three years, we're going to be there," said Ross, who noted that going between 6-10 and 10-6 every year wasn't good enough. "I would hope I don't have to go 3-13, but whatever it's going to take."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25653673/miami-dolphins-fire-coach-adam-gase

9 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Correct.  Stephen Ross wanted to rebuild.  Gase saw that as walking the plank.  It was like Bowles who wanted to win and wanted to start guys like McCown because he saw the W's and L's were going to lead to his firing.  Gase was sitting at just below .500 with a bad roster and a QB who he had improved but who he knew wasn't better than a 10-win guy under optimal circumstances.  If Miami was going to blow it up and suffer through a 5-win season (or two) then he wanted no part of it after 3 years of already being there.

Gase have needed to go through a Tank season in 2019, then hopefully draft a good QB in 2020, then go through a rookie year with that QB before realistically competing for anything of significance.  He took a stand and then had the opportunity to fast-forward to where Miami will be in two years by coming to the Jets, a team that already went through the Tank season, drafted a good QB AND has gone through some of the initial growing pains of a rookie year QB.  Why wait on the long line with 7 people in front of you at the grocery store check-out when you can slide over to Lane 3 that only has 2 people in it?  That's what Gase did.

Gase didn't want to rebuild, but he wanted to move on from Tannehill?  Which on was it?

2 hours ago, JetFreak89 said:

Talk to a fan of any team that hasn't won the Super Bowl in the last couple of years and you will hear the same thing. Fans complain about playcalling, it's what they do. 

Lol. Sure. If message boards and social media have taught us anything it's that people love to complain.

Personally I like the hire. The way I see it is he has a good reputation for quarterback development and if he can develop Darnold into a great player it's a win. 

35 minutes ago, JiF said:

Yet, he constantly defended Tannehill and hand selected to play Jay Cutler over Matt Moore, who just the season before help lead the team to the playoff when Tannehill went down.

What were his options?  In respect to Tannehill, would it have been preferable to say he sucked?  And in the case of Jay Cutler over Matt Moore, he had coached Jay Cutler to his best statistical QBR in Chicago and he knew his offense.  You think he should have stayed with Matt Moore?  Really?

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Brock Osweiler isn't exactly Patrick Mahomes. 

Starting over at QB is rebuilding.  

So were the Vikings rebuilding with Kirk Cousins?

Denver was rebuilding with Casey Keenum?

Redskins were rebuilding with Alex Smith?

Chiefs are rebuilding now with Maholmes?

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

It’s simple, if they can win some Games  it will work if they start losing it will explode like the Deathstar

Or if Darnold gets hurt in practice...

5 hours ago, rangerous said:

After a defender hit quarterback Baker Mayfield, Haley yelled at the defense, “Don’t touch the [bleeping] quarterback in practice! Good teams don’t do it!” Williams responded, “somebody’s gotta [bleeping] block ’em.”

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

We do this every time we get a new HC.

We hire the opposite of what we had before to the other extreme and everyone gets all excited.

Fact is Gase has failed as a HC and Williams has had an up and down career as a DC...All the rah-rahing in the world isn't going to make this team good unless they have good players.

We need playmakers.

that's true and i guess people are pretty happy because bowles is no longer coach.  and while you think gase is a failed head coach so was the bellichicken before he landed brady with the patriots.  get these guys some good players and the jets will be a very good team.

39 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Gase have needed to go through a Tank season in 2019, then hopefully draft a good QB in 2020, then go through a rookie year with that QB before realistically competing for anything of significance.  He took a stand and then had the opportunity to fast-forward to where Miami will be in two years by coming to the Jets, a team that already went through the Tank season, drafted a good QB AND has gone through some of the initial growing pains of a rookie year QB.  Why wait on the long line with 7 people in front of you at the grocery store check-out when you can slide over to Lane 3 that only has 2 people in it?  That's what Gase did.

You forgot to mention that had he stayed in Miami for "the purge" he likely would have never survived long enough to see year three of the rebuild. Knowing the owner, and their tenuous relationship  year two probably was a stretch.  As a result, with the losing surely attached to a "tank" and a rebuild,  by the time Gase escaped Miami both his reputation and future would have been completely destroyed.  He in all likelihood would have never gotten a Head Coaching job again.  In essence he saved his career by getting "FIRED".

4 minutes ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

You forgot to mention that had he stayed in Miami for "the purge" he likely would have never survived long enough to see year three of the rebuild. Knowing the owner, and their tenuous relationship  year two probably was a stretch.  As a result, with the losing surely attached to a "tank" and a rebuild,  by the time Gase escaped Miami both his reputation and future would have been completely destroyed.  He in all likelihood would have never gotten a Head Coaching job again.  In essence he saved his career by getting "FIRED".

I agree.  I didn't say it explicitly but that's exactly what I meant when I said...

Stephen Ross wanted to rebuild.  Gase saw that as walking the plank.  It was like Bowles who wanted to win and wanted to start guys like McCown because he saw the W's and L's were going to lead to his firing.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Yet, he constantly defended Tannehill and hand selected to play Jay Cutler over Matt Moore, who just the season before help lead the team to the playoff when Tannehill went down.

Well who cares if he defended Tannehill...? Of course he defended Tannehill. That's the guy signed to a long term deal for his team. What's he supposed to do, bury the guy in interviews?

Agree bringing in a washed up and disinterested Cutler was an awful decision and is probably the move that ended up costing him his job there. I've always been a big Matt Moore fan. Guy has looked good every time I've seen him play... Granted his career seems to be over so it's not like that's the consensus.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Oh, so, that record doesnt count?  lol

Considering that Brady & the Pats have lost like 6 regular season games at home in 17 years & 2 of them were when Brady didn't play & by the Jets & Bills, 2 division opponents, I'd say that says a lot about the Pats without Brady in the starting lineup. 3 of the 4 games Garapolo played were AT HOME and the team they beat on the road (Arizona) finished with a record of 7-8-1. In 2008 without Brady they lost AT HOME to Miami 38-13, The Jets 34-31, Steelers 33-10, did not make the playoffs & DID NOT WIN THE DIVISION.

Go look at the Patriots regular season home record over the last 17 years WITH BRADY. This without Brady narrative needs to be put to bed.

5 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Stop with your toxic masculinity, lol.

Stop with YOUR effeminate hypocritical PC-ness. IT goes BOTH WAYS and simply IGNORE my post if you don't like my statement. 

Could you sound anyMORE generic? I heard NYT and CNN is hiring in search of more opinions to be presented as facts. :roll:

So PHUCK OFF and IGNORE my posts if you don't agree with them. GROW UP. 

:D ok. I'm over it now. Go Jets! 

8 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Well who cares if he defended Tannehill...? Of course he defended Tannehill. That's the guy signed to a long term deal for his team. What's he supposed to do, bury the guy in interviews?

Agree bringing in a washed up and disinterested Cutler was an awful decision and is probably the move that ended up costing him his job there. I've always been a big Matt Moore fan. Guy has looked good every time I've seen him play... Granted his career seems to be over so it's not like that's the consensus.

The only season that Matt Moore played in  more than 4 games in a season was in 2011, when he played in 13.  At the time of the injury, Cutler was the only available as a plug in and play starter,{he knew Gase system from Chicago}, and had to be pulled from the TV booth to do so.  If Gase had started Moore there would have been a revolution in Miami, he had no other choice.  Of course you liked Moore, I did too.  He was the best QB ever, when playing the Jets.

Archived