IF GASE & MACC'S WORDS MATTER...

14 in Green

Just now, Warfish said:

I think you and I will have to agree to disagree.

We've drafted edge rushers our GM said would be solid.  None of them were, certainly not for long.

And I don't trust this GM to do it again.  The same guy who literally wasted a pick on Hackenberg, on that small school nobody Dlineman last year?  Nope.

Although to be fair, i don't expect this GM to do much better picking offense either.  But for once I'd like to see this franchise focus on building an offense, and not focus on Defense the way we have for ages now.

Not sure what we are disagreeing about about. But, yes, please, would love to see us draft offense.

9 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

We don;t have top pretend anything. Facts are we haven't drafted a solid EDGE RUSHER since Abraham. The rest of your post is 100% spot on.

If they told me that josh allen would be as good as Abraham i’ll take him.  But since we don’t know this I’d rather go offense.  

20 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Nope, nor do I think it's relevant. 

The Pats didn't get to or win the Super Bowl because of "elite edge rusher".  In point of fact they don't have anything resembling an elite edge rusher.

They won because of Tom Brady and Bill Bellichek.

Of course there is no denying the tremendous effect Belichick and Brady had on the Pats getting to and winning the championship. My point was that this super bowl, more than any in recent memory, showed how a suffocating defense can win a football game. As good as Belichick and Brady are, the play of the Pat's defense down the stretch (surprisingly) played a large part in their run to the big game.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Is this where we pretend D-Rob, Thomas, Richardson, Williamson, Williams, Ghost, etc. were not drafted to provide pass "elite pass rush"?

Abe was solid, he was just unreliable.  Kinda like an egg if I recall.  Somehow once he got to Atlanta, he started staying healthy better.... 

Will "ER" help us score 40 points a game?  No?  Then pass.

Will "ER" help Darnold in any way?  No?  Then pass.

Does Defense win in the modern NFL?  No?  Then pass.

Depends on your definition of modern but since 2015 (past 4 seasons) there is a better correlation between top 12 scoring defenses making the playoffs versus top 12 scoring offenses.  Last 4 seasons 75% of teams that were top 12 scoring defenses made the playoffs while only two-thirds or 66.6% of top 12 offensive scoring teams made the playoffs.  You would have to go all the way back to 2012 for the correlation between a top 12 scoring offensive vs top 12 scoring defense was the same at 71.4%.  2014 was that last time that there were more playoffs teams that ranked in the top 12 on offense (8) vs defense (6).  

Interestingly, only 8% of playoff teams did not rank in the top 12 for either category.

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

Is this where we pretend D-Rob, Thomas, Richardson, Williamson, Williams, Ghost, etc. were not drafted to provide pass "elite pass rush"?

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I think you and I will have to agree to disagree.

We've drafted edge rushers our GM said would be solid.  None of them were, certainly not for long.

And I don't trust this GM to do it again.  The same guy who literally wasted a pick on Hackenberg, on that small school nobody Dlineman last year?  Nope.

tfw you don't know what "edge rusher" means

4 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Ok, so by now most of us know what went on earlier today with the Gase/Macc PC.

If their words matter, Robbie is going to be a big part of this team going forward, we are going to be big players in FA, the Jets would love to trade down, and most importantly to me at least, OL, ER, and especially TE are positions of interest for the Jets in the upcoming draft. 

So lets look at this draft again, this time from the perspective Macc laid out. Assuming Herndon and maybe Leggett aren't going anywhere, who do we want to get for this new 2 TE look? The 2 Iowa guys Hockenson and Fant both jump out. When and who else, and would we target?

ER who do we target?

OL who, and how many?

Does what we heard today take the DT option off the board?

Does what Macc said today change the way you feel we'll go about FA? If so how?

I know, a lot of questions here. I'm curious which ones you think matter, and how you'd answer them.

As for my opinion, I'm thinking if Macc could work this draft the way he'd like, he trades down to where he can get the TE (Hockenson), one of the top few ER guys (or vice versa ER then TE maybe Fant?), then he concentrates on OL. The WR option seems out right now. I like the idea, just not sure its realistic to think we can pull it all off.

Everything that is said at this time of year needs to be taken with a grain of salt. It is lying season in the NFL. Gase speaking kindly of Robbie could also be bc they're trying to trade him and get max compensation back. That's as entirely possible as saying they have big plans for him going forward. Just an fyi

3 hours ago, Jet Blast said:

Of course there is no denying the tremendous effect Belichick and Brady had on the Pats getting to and winning the championship. My point was that this super bowl, more than any in recent memory, showed how a suffocating defense can win a football game. As good as Belichick and Brady are, the play of the Pat's defense down the stretch (surprisingly) played a large part in their run to the big game.

The suffocating Defense of the Pats didn't have any elite pass rushers.

Let me be clear, I'm not against pass rush.  I'd love to have pass rush. 

I just prefer we finally climb out of the bottom rankings of Offenses first.  

I don't trust Macc to draft pass rush.  And I prefer we go offense, to you know, score more points.

It's fine, I know everyone at JN is hard for pass rushers this cycle.  

Well Gase flopped in Miami. But will give him the benefit of the doubt. Hope that he really can be in sync with the Jets. And really hope the owners do not be disappointed in return. 

But then again Belichick flopped in Cleveland? But where is he today?!?

Archived