Jets interested in RB Tevin Coleman

LAD_Brooklyn

3 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

What would your offense of line look like? 

Bell, Enunwa, Anderson, Humphries abs Herndon. Offensive line would have Saffold and Paradis to go with the 3 returning starters. That's a top 5-10 offense but mostly it's a supporting cast that will help Darnold continue to grow. That should be the main goal of this off-season. 

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

It has absolutely nothing to do with how they play football

I think Crowell is a dirtbag and never wanted him on the team. You apparently don't care about the character of the personnel on the team. Got it. Can we call it a day on this? 

12 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Connor had a good year, which just happens to be worse than Bell's worst year. They would've won 12 games if Bell had played all year instead of Connor.

How do you figure Connor's year was worse than Bell's worst year?

And, even if it was worse - which I think is debatable, what would you give Connor if he was a FA given his near-Bell production?

4 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

No sh*t

So why did you write that he would only sign here for the money and inferring that was a bad thing when you know that's what they all do? Guess what, every free agent that comes here will be bc of the money. Maybe we shouldn't sign anybody then.

4 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I think Crowell is a dirtbag and never wanted him on the team. You apparently don't care about the character of the personnel on the team. Got it. Can we call it a day on this? 

I use to deal with pro athletes all the time. 90% of them are dirtbags. 

Just now, choon328 said:

So why did you write that he would only sign here for the money and inferring that was a bad thing when you know that's what they all do? Guess what, every free agent that comes here will be bc of the money. Maybe we shouldn't sign anybody then.

He doesn’t want to play here unless he’s overpaid was my point. 

5 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Bell, Enunwa, Anderson, Humphries abs Herndon. Offensive line would have Saffold and Paradis to go with the 3 returning starters. That's a top 5-10 offense but mostly it's a supporting cast that will help Darnold continue to grow. That should be the main goal of this off-season. 

There’s a good chance we can’t sign all of them and even if they do it’s no where near a top 5 offense. 

All year I’ve been preaching protect Darnold first then get him playmakers then worry about the D. 

I just don’t see Bell as a smart move. 

6 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Agree Bell is a luxury superstar if we can afford him fine without hurting our chances of fixing other glaring needs. 

If we sign Coleman we have improved the RB position here. 

Agree.

If I was totally assured that Bell was going to be the same player he was a few years ago, I'd pay him his $50,000,000 guaranteed, and not look back.............................I'm not sure he will be.

Coleman's a good player.  He's going to get a lot more money then some people think, but it's still a huge savings on the guaranteed money.

As you said the Jets will have greatly improved the RB position.    

6 minutes ago, derp said:

How do you figure Connor's year was worse than Bell's worst year?

And, even if it was worse - which I think is debatable, what would you give Connor if he was a FA given his near-Bell production?

He's not near Bell in terms of all around talent and production

21 minutes ago, derp said:

You’re going to go with the RB’s like Bell are not easily replaceable argument after what just happened this season? 

The Steelers literally just replaced him with James Conner who had a monster year, and then when Conner went down they replaced him with RB/TE Jaylen Samuels - who proceeded to tear it up as well.

I think Bell is a fantastic example that situation is huge for a running back.

>>and the Steelers missed the playoffs by half a game. First time in years. They tied Cleveland (without Mayfield) and lost 2 or 3 games by a FG or less. If you don't think Bell would've changed any of that I don't know what to tell yoy.

BTW Connor was a ghost the last 1/3 of the season, so lets get off that train. How a TE like Samuels has anything to do with losing the best receiving RB in football? You lost me there... its like saying losing your star QB didn't matter, because your PK kicked a lot more FGs.

43 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Wow, I'm sorry man. I should've quoted the actual post instead of just tagging who I thought said it. It was said in the one right ABOVE yours by @Chrebetfan80.

Again, I apologize.

Look maybe we just see things differently, but backs now a days split carries for the most part and can be found in literally any round of the draft. Look at the broncos this year, had a really nice rb combo with royce freeman (a 3rd) and phillip lindsay, a pro bowler, who was undrafted.  Add on top of that,  there arent really any full time backs, committee's are what the nfl is about now.  Even the rams this year are saying they have to help gurley out more because he's wearing down too much.  

So if youre reducing a guys touches to limit wear and tear, youre still going to give him a large portion of your salary cap? bell would take somewhere in the 16-17 million dollar a year range most likely.  

Idk maybe its just philosophical team building differences man, but i just dont think you need to spend that kind of money to get a good back.

2 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

There’s a good chance we can’t sign all of them and even if they do it’s no where near a top 5 offense. 

All year I’ve been preaching protect Darnold first then get him playmakers then worry about the D. 

I just don’t see Bell as a smart move. 

I agree about protecting Darnold first and foremost. The first thing out of Macc's stupid mouth was that the goal this off-season is to add talent around Darnold. To me that didn't mean just signing a Center and Guard then going all out on defense in FA. Then following that up with a DT in the first round. That would be a massive mistake. Jared Goff didn't all of a sudden become a pro bowl player on his own. They had the star RB, they went out and brought in Woods and Cooks. Then drafted 2 good Tight Ends and Cooper Kupp. They made a point to put weapons around him. How did Goff look in the Super Bowl without a running game? Awful. That will be Darnold if they don't find him a top 10 RB for next year bc the Jets top 2 WR's are currently not even in the top 20 in the league.

3 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Look maybe we just see things differently, but backs now a days split carries for the most part and can be found in literally any round of the draft. Look at the broncos this year, had a really nice rb combo with royce freeman (a 3rd) and phillip lindsay, a pro bowler, who was undrafted.  Add on top of that,  there arent really any full time backs, committee's are what the nfl is about now.  Even the rams this year are saying they have to help gurley out more because he's wearing down too much.  

So if youre reducing a guys touches to limit wear and tear, youre still going to give him a large portion of your salary cap? bell would take somewhere in the 16-17 million dollar a year range most likely.  

Idk maybe its just philosophical team building differences man, but i just dont think you need to spend that kind of money to get a good back.

Fair enough. Agree to disagree. You make some nice points about "committees". The only  thing I'd say to refute what is a valid argument is that Bell proved in Pittsburgh he is a one man committee. In fact, the reason he wouldn't play without a new contract last year was because Pitt was using him so much in both their run and pass game. In fact he argued he should be paid like a WR not a RB, that's how versatile he was for them.

8 minutes ago, choon328 said:

I agree about protecting Darnold first and foremost. The first thing out of Macc's stupid mouth was that the goal this off-season is to add talent around Darnold. To me that didn't mean just signing a Center and Guard then going all out on defense in FA. Then following that up with a DT in the first round. That would be a massive mistake. Jared Goff didn't all of a sudden become a pro bowl player on his own. They had the star RB, they went out and brought in Woods and Cooks. Then drafted 2 good Tight Ends and Cooper Kupp. They made a point to put weapons around him. How did Goff look in the Super Bowl without a running game? Awful. That will be Darnold if they don't find him a top 10 RB for next year bc the Jets top 2 WR's are currently not even in the top 20 in the league.

Oline is the most important thing. 

46 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

We’re trying to develop a culture here.  Signing Santonio 2.0 to an even bigger contract stops that

"develop a culture" LMFAO.

This isn't even worth arguing over. The Jets are going to try as hard as they can to sign Bell. Thank God you guys have no say in it.

3 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

"develop a culture" LMFAO.

This isn't even worth arguing over. The Jets are going to try as hard as they can to sign Bell. Thank God you guys have no say in it.

Lol exactly, cause the “culture” has been so great around the Jets last 6 years... unbelievable some of the way people think. Bring in this beast Bell and call it a day

3 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Fair enough. Agree to disagree. You make some nice points about "committees". The only  thing I'd say to refute what is a valid argument is that Bell proved in Pittsburgh he is a one man committee. In fact, the reason he wouldn't play without a new contract last year was because Pitt was using him so much in both their run and pass game. In fact he argued he should be paid like a WR not a RB, that's how versatile he was for them.

I'm not denying the type of player he's been, he's been one of the most versatile backs in the league for a while, and theres a good chance (even though i hear the out of shape rumors arent super off base) that he continues his run of good play. 

The end of the day it just comes down to how comfortable you are giving 50 million dollars guaranteed money to a 27 year old back with a ton of mileage on his tires.  RB's can hit the wall fast, and while its no guarantee bell would, its also no guarantee bell wouldnt.  

I just personally dont feel comfortable giving 50 million guranteed to an RB.  there are a few positions where the value meets that QB, LT, and DE/OLB.  With the way you can find good backs late in the draft and have them cheaply controlled for 4+ years (rookie contract and two years of franchise tag),  plus the fact that the league is more a committee based rushing attack with teams having 2 or sometimes even 3 rbs that contribute it just makes sense to me to avoid the whole bell situation.

29 minutes ago, choon328 said:

He's not near Bell in terms of all around talent and production

Last year he had more YPC than Bell his prior year. Slightly less yardage per game which came down to attempts. Less receiving yardage by again that was volume. More touchdowns. He’s close on volume (yards per game) and his efficiency was excellent. I definitely disagree production isn’t close.

34 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

>>and the Steelers missed the playoffs by half a game. First time in years. They tied Cleveland (without Mayfield) and lost 2 or 3 games by a FG or less. If you don't think Bell would've changed any of that I don't know what to tell yoy.

BTW Connor was a ghost the last 1/3 of the season, so lets get off that train. How a TE like Samuels has anything to do with losing the best receiving RB in football? You lost me there... its like saying losing your star QB didn't matter, because your PK kicked a lot more FGs.

...Samuels started for the Steelers weeks 13-15 when Conner was hurt. I thought you knew what happened when Bell was out last year?

4 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I'm not denying the type of player he's been, he's been one of the most versatile backs in the league for a while, and theres a good chance (even though i hear the out of shape rumors arent super off base) that he continues his run of good play. 

The end of the day it just comes down to how comfortable you are giving 50 million dollars guaranteed money to a 27 year old back with a ton of mileage on his tires.  RB's can hit the wall fast, and while its no guarantee bell would, its also no guarantee bell wouldnt.  

I just personally dont feel comfortable giving 50 million guranteed to an RB.  there are a few positions where the value meets that QB, LT, and DE/OLB.  With the way you can find good backs late in the draft and have them cheaply controlled for 4+ years (rookie contract and two years of franchise tag),  plus the fact that the league is more a committee based rushing attack with teams having 2 or sometimes even 3 rbs that contribute it just makes sense to me to avoid the whole bell situation.

Couldn't have said it better. I like Bell, but you have to LOVE Bell to give up that kind of cash. TC is obviously not the back he is right now (and no one says he is), but in a committee, he can have value. Add him to Crowell or even Ingram...then add a back in the draft. With a retooled line, that group can do some damage. And even without Bell, it's surely an upgrade over what we had.

8 minutes ago, derp said:

...Samuels started for the Steelers weeks 13-15 when Conner was hurt. I thought you knew what happened when Bell was out last year?

How did those December games work out for Pitt last year? Think they might've gone better with Bell?

4 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

How did those December games work out for Pitt last year? Think they might've gone better with Bell?

Than with their third string running back? Yeah, maybe. I think most teams tend to do better with their first string running back than their third string running back.

Their December wasn't bad either. Beat the Pats minus Bell and Conner. Lost to the Saints by 3 on the road minus Bell and Conner. Maybe Bell wins that game but the Saints are excellent at home - not a bad result. Lost to the Chargers by 3 the game Conner got hurt. Not great but the Chargers were good and a mid-game injury to the starting RB is always problematic. The Oakland loss was bad for sure although West Coast games are weird.

I would've expected them to go 3-2 in December. They went 2-3. Not egregious and again - Conner missed 3.5 of those games.

4 minutes ago, rayzor said:

You guys don't think a situation like Todd Gurley's could spook teams?  Huge guaranteed money to a position that injuries come easy.  I'm OK with Coleman so we can add other quality pieces.

Good point.  The Gurley contract is about to become a long term debacle for the rams

8 minutes ago, rayzor said:

You guys don't think a situation like Todd Gurley's could spook teams?  Huge guaranteed money to a position that injuries come easy.  I'm OK with Coleman so we can add other quality pieces.

No, injuries happen its part of the game. 

26 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Everyone likes to get dramatic on one side or another on issues.  LOL

This is a good post.  Do the Jets want to gamble 50M that Bell is going to be as good between 27-30, as he was between 22-26?  That's the kind of production they will be paying him for.

31 minutes ago, derp said:

Last year he had more YPC than Bell his prior year. Slightly less yardage per game which came down to attempts. Less receiving yardage by again that was volume. More touchdowns. He’s close on volume (yards per game) and his efficiency was excellent. I definitely disagree production isn’t close.

Yeah but why let facts get in the way of the Leveon hype train?

12 minutes ago, derp said:

Than with their third string running back? Yeah, maybe. I think most teams tend to do better with their first string running back than their third string running back.

Their December wasn't bad either. Beat the Pats minus Bell and Conner. Lost to the Saints by 3 on the road minus Bell and Conner. Maybe Bell wins that game but the Saints are excellent at home - not a bad result. Lost to the Chargers by 3 the game Conner got hurt. Not great but the Chargers were good and a mid-game injury to the starting RB is always problematic. The Oakland loss was bad for sure although West Coast games are weird.

I would've expected them to go 3-2 in December. They went 2-3. Not egregious and again - Conner missed 3.5 of those games.

Look, I'm not trying to be a d**k here. To be fair the Steelers offense was pretty damn good last year without Bell.

My point though is that even with that damn good offense, they would've been better with Bell, and our pitiful offense would be way better with a player like him.

Like I said earlier, the Jets are going to go after Bell hard. A lot of you won't be happy about that, but I will. If we get him, and he plays well everyone is happy. If he doesn't, its one more thing we can all bitch about.

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

Tevin Coleman. Seriously?

We are screwed, I mean 5-6 wins at best screwed, if we don't sign Leveon Bell.

Sooner or later people here are going to realize how bad this team's offense is, and how rarely such a bad team has the opportunity to get a player like Bell for only money.

We have to stop the "running backs are easily replaced" stuff, @HawkeyeJet. Mediocre, jag type RBs are easily replaced. Not 27 year old RBs with Bell's receiving and running skills. Those are not easily replaceable. Or easy to find, as the Jets have proved quite well.

Its amazing how Jet fans love to play GM, criticize the lack of skill players we have, yet thumb their nose at the best skill player available to them.

While I don't think Bell will take the Jets money they have to make a run at him. I just think he will pull a Cousins on them.

The bolded is a spot on comment. Our skill positions suck. S-U-C-K. You have guys building up JAGS like Robbie Anderson and friggin Crowell. Crowell most likely is not even going to be on the team come TC. While Coleman may not be a big splash he is a steady contributor on offense and is better than anything we have on the roster. He will cost considerably less and will give adequate production. Of course the Jets will have to draft an RB in this draft regardless of who they sign. That's why acquiring a 2nd rounder is so important. The Jets have so many needs they are going to have to use every bit of cap space AND draft without hardly any margin for error. That scares the crap out of me because of who will be making those draft picks. I am all for optimism but blind optimism is what got us here in the 1st place. You would think Jet Fans would know the difference.

Archived