Justin Houston released by Chiefs

Patriot Killa

Call me crazy but I’d sign both Houston and Fowler. 

Give Mo another 1-year deal. 

I’d immediately shift my entire focus on offense for the remainder of free agency. The entire draft should be about acquiring skill players or offensive lineman. 

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are reports that the Chiefs are open to trading Dee Ford since they are moving to a 4-3. Any interest? I wouldn't have a conversation that involved a 1st, but a combination of other picks? Maybe. 

I also wonder how confident Mac is with himself. He knows he is gone if the team isnt competitive this year. Does that make him more likely to be willing to trade next years picks? 

3 minutes ago, Ghost said:

I’d immediately shift my entire focus on offense for the remainder of free agency. The entire draft should be about acquiring skill players or offensive lineman. 

That's exactly what I was thinking. I dont think signing either Houston or Fowler precludes signing the other. I would be all for 2 high end pass rushers if none of the big name guys are available. 

6 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

There’s rumblings around the organization that they want to address Edge Rusher in FA.

Haven't heard anything attributed to the Jets.  We don't need rumblings though.  They are going to target OL, edge, WR & RB for starters.  What we don't know is who they are targeting and if they think they can address a position best in FA, draft or both.  

14 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Dante Fowler has a bad character, looked average on a line with Suh and Donald and should probably stay a 4-3 DE. I like Houston more, he’s a guy who can add some experience and stability to a LBers group that seriously lacks, he’s a 3-4 OLB lifer, he can still produce and getting the best out of Houston at this stage is still getting around 10-12 sacks. I’ll take 9 for that matter.(which is what he tallied this year on 12 games. He had 9.5 the year before last too.)

Thank you. Good points all around. I respect your opinion.

2 hours ago, Ghost said:

Mo who? 

Edge/passrusher is a crying need for the Jets.  We have the Cap $15 and $17M in the next two years isn't bad and he should still be productive for at least two more years.  I'd sign him and take a glaring need off the list, allowing the Jets to be more flexible at #3.

11 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

This is a bad report, his cap number is only $21M for the Chiefs. His cap number for another team would be $15.2M and $17M the next 2 years. The Chiefs would need to eat the signing bonus.

I'd absolutely give up a late round pick for him.

Yeah I don't understand all the talk of acquiring & immediately restructuring. What we'd lose in absolute cap room this year we gain in $0 of it being guaranteed.

If he's as good as hoped this year then we can think of lowering his $17MM figure next year by talking extension at that time. Or not, and then just let him hit FA.

He's guaranteed to get paid at least $15MM in 2019 no matter what so "guaranteeing" it isn't much of a carrot to hold in front of him. Not worth it just to lower his cap number by $5MM (which still has to come off the cap anyway; we'd just have to structure one of the other new signings so it is less now and more later, but the two in combination would be the same overall each year). Better off keeping his deal as is for now, if we pick him up at all. 

My issue with it is it's a lot of cash for a bandaid pickup on the non-Darnold side of the ball while we're still not serious SB contenders. If we were already a year closer it'd be more attractive to me to throw a late pick at his non-guaranteed contract if KC's just going to cut him anyway. We could recoup that higher 7th or a late 6th back by moving down insignificantly with our late 3rd rounder. 

Would love Houston either as a signing or a 7th round pick trade. Would be good for ys for another 2 years. The search shouldn’t end with Houston. Either sign another edge, draft an edge, or do both in addition to Houston.

Much better player then Fowler.

Ansah can’t stay healthy. 

Houston is best 2nd tier option.

makes more sense with the defensive coaching changes (did not realize Bob Sutton was fired after the pats* game) 

One reason I am glad Williams is not making wholesale scheme changes based on just his style, it seems like he will work with the players they have and look to improve where possible - Jets have given up some decent players over the years due to scheme changes

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah I don't understand all the talk of acquiring & immediately restructuring. What we'd lose in absolute cap room this year we gain in $0 of it being guaranteed.

If he's as good as hoped this year then we can think of lowering his $17MM figure next year by talking extension at that time. Or not, and then just let him hit FA.

He's guaranteed to get paid at least $15MM in 2019 no matter what so "guaranteeing" it isn't much of a carrot to hold in front of him. Not worth it just to lower his cap number by $5MM (which still has to come off the cap anyway; we'd just have to structure one of the other new signings so it is less now and more later, but the two in combination would be the same overall each year). Better off keeping his deal as is for now, if we pick him up at all. 

My issue with it is it's a lot of cash for a bandaid pickup on the non-Darnold side of the ball while we're still not serious SB contenders. If we were already a year closer it'd be more attractive to me to throw a late pick at his non-guaranteed contract if KC's just going to cut him anyway. We could recoup that higher 7th or a late 6th back by moving down insignificantly with our late 3rd rounder. 

you know stuff, I like you....

13 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Wilkerson?

no way did he really? I do not believe that ever.

12 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

You mean like Mo before we gave him his deal?

Klecko?  Gastineau? 

That is what I was thinking K and G. So if we can sign a guy that can reasonably could give us 9 a year. or maybe even two that have potential too, I sign up all day with our cap space. 

22 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Damn. Teams being able to tag a guy just to be able to trade him is some billsh-t. Getting value beyond the contract by forcing another contract is ridiculous. There should be a requirement that of you tag a player, you cant trade him until the start of the season.

27 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Damn. Teams being able to tag a guy just to be able to trade him is some billsh-t. Getting value beyond the contract by forcing another contract is ridiculous. There should be a requirement that of you tag a player, you cant trade him until the start of the season.

Until the start of the season may be a bit much there. Until after the draft or after 6/1? That seems more appropriate.

Also the penalty should be higher than 20% if a team exclusive tags a guy and doesn't bang out a long term deal that year. Like you can't exclusive tag a player and then tag him again at all.

Also frankly, RBs should be exempt from exclusive FTs in general, and maybe the return compensation is only a single 1st rounder for them. Everyone knows their careers are short, injuries come easy, and few teams will line up to offer a blockbuster deal to a RB after his 5th or 6th full season (let alone if it means surrendering upwards of a pair of 1s). Even more so if the RB is at least a 23 year-old rookie. Who's ponying up Gurley-money to a 28-29 year-old RB with thousands of carries?

23 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Good signing for a couple of years. Prefer him over Ansah if we are going for a veteran. I still hope we come away with another edge rusher.

It would be a great start to helping our pass rush.

4 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

no way did he really? I do not believe that ever.

That is what I was thinking K and G. So if we can sign a guy that can reasonably could give us 9 a year. or maybe even two that have potential too, I sign up all day with our cap space. 

Mo Wilk had 12 and two years before had 10.5

Klecko and Gastineau had over 20 each

Archived