Justin Houston released by Chiefs

Patriot Killa

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

And I say yes. 

Sign him. Not every 30 year old is a bad signing. He had 9 sacks last year on limited play. He’s capable of playing up to standards for 2-3 more years at the least.

I agree.  I would rather bring ina  guy like Houston who should still have another good two to three years left than Fowler.  With Lawrence, Clark and Clowney all getting tagged, Houston would be nice add.

And as an added bonus, since he was released, he will not count against potential comp picks next season.

9 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Pass rushers can be effective well into their 30s - look at Cameron Wake.

Signing Justin Houston at 30 is not a bad idea. Pairing him with a top pass rushing prospect in the draft is a great idea.

even abraham had a pretty long career.  how about charles haley?  the thing is not every position is going to have a young stud.  there's gonna be a mix.

22 minutes ago, Lith said:

I agree.  I would rather bring ina  guy like Houston who should still have another good two to three years left than Fowler.  With Lawrence, Clark and Clowney all getting tagged, Houston would be nice add.

And as an added bonus, since he was released, he will not count against potential comp picks next season.

Your point about grabbing Houston to be one less to go against the comps is good. Signing this guy is a no brainer IMO

It will be interesting to see how our comp situation plays out this year. I think we will nullify all of the guys we let go with the FA splurge we're going to try and put together.  Our scrub castoffs will be swallowed whole by the big signings we bring in.  We are letting half our roster go so who knows, but I'm pretty sure it goes by contract size and all that right? We should be bringing in much better/higher contract guys than we let go. 

Who do we have on our list? Mo Claiborne, Skrine, Kerse, Pennel ? Not the strongest list. Anyone else of note? 

18 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Your point about grabbing Houston to be one less to go against the comps is good. Signing this guy is a no brainer IMO

It will be interesting to see how our comp situation plays out this year. I think we will nullify all of the guys we let go with the FA splurge we're going to try and put together.  Our scrub castoffs will be swallowed whole by the big signings we bring in.  We are letting half our roster go so who knows, but I'm pretty sure it goes by contract size and all that right? We should be bringing in much better/higher contract guys than we let go. 

Who do we have on our list? Mo Claiborne, Skrine, Kerse, Pennel ? Not the strongest list. Anyone else of note? 

McClendon, Powell, Carpenter, H Anderson.  Its a long shot with the number of holes we have to fill and the amount of cap space; but if we lose more than we sign, maybe we can grab an extra pick.

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

We’ll probably look into it but doubt we pull the trigger on anything. We’ll wait to see if he’s released.

The Jets need to be aggressive this offseason and next. Just like the Rams were and they made the Super Bowl in 2 years with their young QB

1 minute ago, choon328 said:

The Jets need to be aggressive this offseason and next. Just like the Rams were and they made the Super Bowl in 2 years with their young QB

No, I agree. I just don’t think Maccagnan has the chops but I’d trade for Houston solely to secure him without having to bid. It’d be a nice start to FA

4 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Signing a guy like Houston and potentially another Edge allows the Jets to potentially take a gamble on a skill position or OL at 3 by eliminating the glaring need in FA.  I'd be all for it.

There's really no way in hell the Jets are picking anything but D if they don't find a trade partner.  I know you're theorizing but not sure why this is still being discussed as a possibility. 

6 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

No, I agree. I just don’t think Maccagnan has the chops but I’d trade for Houston solely to secure him without having to bid. It’d be a nice start to FA

Macc has second-itis when it comes to acquiring talent in FA or trades and it scares the crap out of me. 

He would be great if healthy. " IF HEALTHY"... Didn't play a full season three of the last four years.  This past  year missed four games.  2016 season played only five games.  2015, only 11 games played. In four of his eight seasons in the league, he missed significant time, four games or more. A lot of money dedicated to a player 30 years of age who's missed 1/4 of the games played during his career.  Proceed with caution.

1 minute ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

He would be great if healthy. " IF HEALTHY"... Didn't play a full season three of the last four years.  This past  year missed four games.  2016 season played only five games.  2015, only 11 games played. In four of his eight seasons in the league, he missed significant time, four games or more. A lot of money dedicated to a player 30 years of age who's missed 1/4 of the games played during his career.  Proceed with caution.

With virtually every big name pass rusher getting tagged, you gotta just go get Houston pronto.

Archived