Another Macc bust ends up in the minor leagues

jetscrazey

One question I wonder about,  that will never be answered is, outside of clear screwups like drafting Hack, does all of the blame lie with MMac? to what percent should/ could the blame be for a lack of development by Bowles' coaching staff.  Weren't most of these picks considered solid players coming out of college that were drafted around where they were projected to go?  If so many of them failed to pan out, couldnt that be a coaching issue and not a drafting issue?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One question I wonder about,  that will never be answered is, outside of clear screwups like drafting Hack, does all of the blame lie with MMac? to what percent should/ could the blame be for a lack of development by Bowles' coaching staff.  Weren't most of these picks considered solid players coming out of college that were drafted around where they were projected to go?  If so many of them failed to pan out, couldnt that be a coaching issue and not a drafting issue?

This point has been proven wrong in this thread already.

Yes, we can separate out Bowles from the equation. Because a higher % of players Macc drafted are out of the league compared to all GMs. Meaning those players were trash regardless of who coached them. They went to other teams and still sucked.

Bowles sucked, but unlike Macc, he was fired. Macc has been the worst GM at drafting in the league and still has his job. He must have pictures of the Johnson’s in compromising situations or something.

13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes, we can separate out Bowles from the equation. Because a higher % of players Macc drafted are out of the league compared to all GMs. Meaning those players were trash regardless of who coached them. They went to other teams and still sucked.

Not sure that the fact that they couldnt succeed with another team proves it was Macs fault over Bowles'  By the time they went to other teams they were 3rd or 4th year players and cost more than that teams newer draft picks or UDFAs. The other teams may have simply not seen the value in taking the time to develop these  second hand players

24 minutes ago, 20andOut said:

Not sure that the fact that they couldnt succeed with another team proves it was Macs fault over Bowles'  By the time they went to other teams they were 3rd or 4th year players and cost more than that teams newer draft picks or UDFAs. The other teams may have simply not seen the value in taking the time to develop these  second hand players

You can either play in the NFL or you can’t. That much is indisputable. If the players Macc took and fizzled out here had found success elsewhere, maybe you’d be on to something. They haven’t. And it has nothing to do with being developed. “Development” in the NFL is a myth. Players can get better but there is a baseline of athletic attributes that you need to be able to play, or cerebral. You can’t teach a lot of the capabilities that this level of athlete has. Or train it. 

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2018/12/19/18148590/mike-maccagnan-doesnt-have-a-very-strong-case-to-keep-his-job-as-jets-general-manager

Jason_OTCVerified account @Jason_OTC

Im assuming some of that was people wanting to see where Maccagnan of the Jets fits in so here you go. Since 2015 the Jets rank last in drafted players still in the league and tied for 22nd with players still on their own team.

Of the #Jets roster over half of the players under contract are 27 or older. Only 6 players on the roster pre-dated Mac and he signed off on contracts for each of those 6 (though i think you can make a case Winters was done before that). Not sure how Bowles only one getting blame

Love Jason's contributions to the sport with his website, NFL, etc. 

Pretty sure he's a really nice guy.

Pretty sure his opinion on Maccagnan, as a whole, is right.

However, he graded the Mosley acquisition and contract as an F- the other day, so excuse me for pausing at what he chooses to criticize.

Back on topic: Mauldin, like Devin Smith, was a fine selection who went right where he should have in the draft.  The injuries derailed the both of those guys and, for all of Maccagnan's faults, that's not one I'm going to kill him for. 

Love Jason's contributions to the sport with his website, NFL, etc. 
Pretty sure he's a really nice guy.
Pretty sure his opinion on Maccagnan, as a whole, is right.
However, he graded the Mosley acquisition and contract as an F- the other day, so excuse me for pausing at what he chooses to criticize.
Back on topic: Mauldin, like Devin Smith, was a fine selection who went right where he should have in the draft.  The injuries derailed the both of those guys and, for all of Maccagnan's faults, that's not one I'm going to kill him for. 

We overpaid an ILB who is bad at covering the pass. I can understand the poor grade.

8 hours ago, nico002 said:

3rd round picks historically have a 27% chance of becoming a starter (for DL)

3rd Round - OL (40%) TE (39%) LB (34%) DL (27%) WR (25%) DB (24%) QB (17%) RB (16%)

So you ARE arguing that a 3rd rounder is a late-round pick?  When there are literally 7 rounds.

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Bowles sucked, but unlike Macc, he was fired. Macc has been the worst GM at drafting in the league and still has his job. He must have pictures of the Johnson’s in compromising situations or something.

Absolutely this.  All of the desperate attempts to throw Bowles under the bus for Maccagnan's incompetence quickly goes out the window the moment you realize there has yet to be one single failed Jets acquisition in his time here, via the draft or FA, that has gone on to have an even slightly higher level of success with another team.  Quite frankly, for all of Bowles' faults (and he most certainly had many), there's actually multiple players who had career years in their time here under him.

There is literally no evidence that exists anywhere to suggest any of Maccagnan's failures were at the fault of anyone but himself.

5 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

In fairness, his career was 4 games as a rookie and then was injured on a cheap shot.  Did he ever play significant minutes?

I do remember Green loved him, disappointing 

I was rooting for this kid. I have a family friend that had a connection to him and met him several times (the friend met him, not me). I keyed on him pretty much every play he was on the field. He played so much smaller than his size. He was never going to make it.

29 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I was rooting for this kid. I have a family friend that had a connection to him and met him several times (the friend met him, not me). I keyed on him pretty much every play he was on the field. He played so much smaller than his size. He was never going to make it.

No, I hear you.  We all wanted him to be that crazed maniac LB.  You're right, when he saw the field he always seemed a steep behind, no instinct for the position.  Shame, hope he was at least a nice guy...

12 hours ago, T0mShane said:

(He doesn’t really do well in round one either)

Totally agree. With the exception of Lee, he's had a top 6 pick and selected the chalk pick that fell to him. When he was forced to use his noodle in the middle of the first round, he selected an undersized ILB. 

15 hours ago, Ghost420 said:

I get everyone for the most part bashes Mac but honestly how do you keep your job after drafting hackenberg in the 2nd round? Not one person in the entire world had him close to that grade. 

Macc is made of Teflon.  4+ years as a bottom 3 GM and not much better than Idzik if at all

He did have a good draft last year though even tho the jets had another crappy season he finally got a couple good players and so far this offseason has been pretty good

On 3/18/2019 at 10:55 PM, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Please quantify it for me. Would love to see the statistical breakdown of all his draft picks vs. EVERY other GMs because I know a few that have missed more on 1st round picks which is far more damaging to a franchise then missing on later round picks. 

On 3/18/2019 at 10:58 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2018/12/19/18148590/mike-maccagnan-doesnt-have-a-very-strong-case-to-keep-his-job-as-jets-general-manager

Jason_OTCVerified account @Jason_OTC

Im assuming some of that was people wanting to see where Maccagnan of the Jets fits in so here you go. Since 2015 the Jets rank last in drafted players still in the league and tied for 22nd with players still on their own team.

Of the #Jets roster over half of the players under contract are 27 or older. Only 6 players on the roster pre-dated Mac and he signed off on contracts for each of those 6 (though i think you can make a case Winters was done before that). Not sure how Bowles only one getting blame

Fatality

Archived