Another Macc bust ends up in the minor leagues

jetscrazey

Just now, jetscrazey said:

It didn't help that for his first 2 seasons, the Jets QB ended up being Ryan Fitzpatrick, who throws a poor deep ball.  Going deep was Smith's one strength.

Thinking we would have Geno Smith's arm to get Devin Smith the ball was not bad thinking. Fitzpatrick was never going to be able to utilize his abilities even if he could stay healthy. 

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

keep moving those goalposts for Mac. I'm sure he appreciates you being the only one to believe he's a good GM. Not even his mom thinks he's good at it.

It's not surprising that you, of all posters, fail to grasp my points. I would explain it further, but I doubt it would help. 

The jets have had some really really awful drafts going back to 1983

It’s so bad people here still defend Darron Lee

I think because the talking heads projected him in the first round and was the 20th pick.

Looks like the his draft profile was off..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

It's not surprising that you, of all posters, fail to grasp my points. I would explain it further, but I doubt it would help. 

The sign that you have a good argument is when you insult other posters about how they can't understand your genius that failure is really success.

44 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

The argument you presented is flawed for many reasons. 1) teams do not select the same amount of players, a team with 12 picks in the draft is bound to have a few end up being contributors even idzick hit on one. 2) remaining on a roster is not always an indication of a players worth, the raiders traded Mack away he was not a miss but is also no longer on their roster. Players who are meh or developmental might end up on a roster longer than they should and sometimes decent players get cut for seemingly no reason. I don't think Macc has done a great job drafting but the argument is flawed. Additionally i believe it is unfair to judge him heavily on his first draft because he kept the old scouting team that year instead of tearing it down a month before the draft.

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

The statistic was based on a percentage, so your argument is flawed from the start.  And in any case, over a 4 year period, other variables get washed out because of the sample size. 

Remaining on ANY roster isn't a demonstration of a player's worth?  lol.  OK, so having more players in the AAF than any other NFL team is NOT a bad look for Macc?

You want to give him a pass on the first draft?  OK.  How about every draft after that?  How about the likes of Christian Hackenberg, Juston Burris, Darron Lee, ArDarius Stewart and Chad Hansen?  All guys taken in the first 4 rounds. 

It's like shooting fish in a barrel with Macc apologists.  Too easy. 

48 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

You can't pick one statistic and claim it properly quantifies every metric you should use to judge a GM's draft. It would  be as dumb as someone saying that since Macc has a good hit rate on his 1st round picks that therefore he is a great GM.

Give me one metric.  Any metric.  That suggests Macc is good at drafting.

W-L record?  Terrible.

Age of roster?  Terrible, considering we're supposed to be rebuilding.

# of Pro Bowlers?  Terrible.

# of open roster spots entering this past season?  Terrible.

Amount of money spent to fix draft mistakes?  Terrible.

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The statistic was based on a percentage, so your argument is flawed from the start.  And in any case, over a 4 year period, other variables get washed out because of the sample size. 

Remaining on ANY roster isn't a demonstration of a player's worth?  lol.  OK, so having more players in the AAF than any other NFL team is NOT a bad look for Macc?

You want to give him a pass on the first draft?  OK.  How about every draft after that?  How about the likes of Christian Hackenberg, Juston Burris, Darron Lee, ArDarius Stewart and Chad Hansen?  All guys taken in the first 4 rounds. 

It's like shooting fish in a barrel with Macc apologists.  Too easy. 

Even last year.  His one good draft he took Nate Shepherd over Orlando Brown 

Ugh

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It is a quantifiable truth that no GM in the NFL has failed on his draft picks more than Mike Maccagnan.  He has drafted a far higher % of players that are no longer in the league than any GM out there.  Its not even close. 

And that statistic can't be explained by Todd Bowles, since those players failed at other stops too.  The league has determined them to be inferior players. 

Saying "every GM misses" is an incredibly tired excuse to try to prop Macc up.  He's the worst GM in the NFL when it comes to drafting players, and the numbers back that statement up. 

Even UnitedWhoFans positively repped this post.

You've lost the war, @JoJoTownsell1.

56 minutes ago, nico002 said:

3rd round picks historically have a 27% chance of becoming a starter (for DL)

3rd Round - OL (40%) TE (39%) LB (34%) DL (27%) WR (25%) DB (24%) QB (17%) RB (16%)

There are 7 rounds in a draft.  A 3rd round pick cannot be a "late rounder".  Keep digging that hole though, this is fun.

Btw, what are the odds that a 3rd rounder is out of the league entirely after 3 seasons?  Because that's what Mauldin was.

Macc's drafts have been bad.   He's getting better with experience.

Stop saying he's lucky.  Every draft pick after the 1st is lucky or unlucky based on who's there.   

There's enough to bash Macc without the stupid luck argument.

42 minutes ago, JiF said:

He was a 3rd round pick.  lmfao

Only makes it worse that Danielle Hunter and his 4.57-40 / 1.57-10split times was sitting right there, and was the next edge rusher off the board 6 slots later. But we took the edge rusher with blocking TE speed while they got the physical freak who pressures/sacks opposing QBs as a matter of routine. 

#eyefortalent

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

There are 7 rounds in a draft.  A 3rd round pick cannot be a "late rounder".  Keep digging that hole though, this is fun.

Btw, what are the odds that a 3rd rounder is out of the league entirely after 3 seasons?  Because that's what Mauldin was.

You guys were talking about Mauldin?  Cause isn't he an LB (34%), not DL?   I thought he meant Shephard.  I guess "hitting" on Jenkins means that he hit on 1/3 so he is allowed to miss on the others?  .

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Only makes it worse that Danielle Hunter and his 4.57-40 / 1.57-10split times was sitting right there, and was the next edge rusher off the board 6 slots later. But we took the edge rusher with blocking TE speed while they got the physical freak who pressures/sacks opposing QBs as a matter of routine. 

#eyefortalent

Or when he took Devin Smith directly before Preston Smith.  That entire draft really, there was so much ridiculous talent he passed on in just about every round for someone out of the league. 

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

Didn't Smith have a rib puncture his lung in his first training camp?  I can't look it up at the moment, but it was something like that.  That one sucked.  Poor kid never really got a chance to play. His body wouldn't let him right from the gate. 

Yes, and a knee after that.

But he sucked

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

(He doesn’t really do well in round one either)

Because he is such a bad gm, he assures himself a top 6 pick almost every yr. He has often picked the player deemed “ safest pick of draft “ Williams, Adams, darnold was considered safest qb prospect since Andrew luck. So he never really had to be tested in the first. The good teams pick in the late 20s, which is harder to pick a sure thing 

One of the reasons that Maccagnan really doesnt get the vitriol outside the Jets fandom is that he hasn't really made that reach pick outside of Hackenberg.

Leo wasnt a reach, Lee wasn't a reach, Adams wasn't a reach and Darnold certainly was not a reach. In some ways he is too safe

If you can't stay on the field in college and are constantly battling injuries how are you stay on the field in the Pro's? Dee Milner another example although wasn't drafted by Mac. I heard this guy had 8 minor operations while in college. What does that tell you? Mac would of been much more successful if he had just drafted Mel Kipers next best available player at every pick. I wonder if there is a way to go back to the ESPN live draft coverage and see what players the Jets would of wound up with had they picked from Kipers list.

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Yes, and a knee after that.

But he sucked

lol  Annnnnnnnnnnnd he sucked.   

I don't know if he sucked or not. You'd probably know better than I would. I watched a lot of highlight stuff on him when we drafted him and he seemed to have really good hands and was very fast. That makes for a good option for the offense, but who knows? He never had a chance for the strong development of the Bowles regime to take hold. He could have been a great one with one of our 3 OC's getting their hands on him. 

49 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

If you can't stay on the field in college and are constantly battling injuries how are you stay on the field in the Pro's? Dee Milner another example although wasn't drafted by Mac. I heard this guy had 8 minor operations while in college. What does that tell you? Mac would of been much more successful if he had just drafted Mel Kipers next best available player at every pick. I wonder if there is a way to go back to the ESPN live draft coverage and see what players the Jets would of wound up with had they picked from Kipers list.

Yeah but then you look at someone like Curtis Martin who had a more significant undergrad injury history; he missed far more games than both of Smith & Milliner combined, and look how long his career lasted (at RB no less). Milliner had a bunch of nagging injuries yet missed like 1 game in 3 seasons. Smith I don't think had any injuries. 

Based on both need and his theoretical-BAP manlove inside the top 10 (Milliner was projected to get drafted around #4-ish) it's a stretch to suggest our current GM wouldn't have also drafted him at #9. 

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

lol  Annnnnnnnnnnnd he sucked.   

I don't know if he sucked or not. You'd probably know better than I would. I watched a lot of highlight stuff on him when we drafted him and he seemed to have really good hands and was very fast. That makes for a good option for the offense, but who knows? He never had a chance for the strong development of the Bowles regime to take hold. He could have been a great one with one of our 3 OC's getting their hands on him. 

He was really good at Ohio, was a integral part of their National Championship team and game.  He had a chance to be good if he didnt have so many health issues.

Happens.  

3 hours ago, Maxman said:

Donahue - look over matched every time he stepped on the field. Made terrible off the field decisions. Arrested and cut.

In fairness, his career was 4 games as a rookie and then was injured on a cheap shot.  Did he ever play significant minutes?

I do remember Green loved him, disappointing 

2 hours ago, Nixhead said:

Interesting... get on that will you?   ?

Hey, Mayok got hired, why not Mel?

24 minutes ago, dcJet said:

Interesting... get on that will you?   ?

Hey, Mayok got hired, why not Mel?

If I could go back to the live draftcast and see who Kiper had as best available before each Jet pick I would - but that chore should go to someone more tech saavy than me like anybody else. Lol 

Archived