The JOKER-DC Comeback?

I've always been Team DC over Marvel. I love Marvel but I grew up watching Batman & Superman reading the Comics, etc

And this is the only movie I've looked forward too in a very long time. Joaquin gives me chills

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...
On 4/3/2019 at 1:24 PM, GATA said:

I've always been Team DC over Marvel. I love Marvel but I grew up watching Batman & Superman reading the Comics, etc

And this is the only movie I've looked forward too in a very long time. Joaquin gives me chills

1848540666_th-18_27_50AM.jpeg.8d46e96c1b07f5ff9c7dd31c54151fec.jpeg           

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Unleash the fury, Mitch. 

Hey, I love Old School but pretty much every other movie he’s made has been dreadful.

The Hangover was decent and then he followed it up with two sh*tastic sequels.

I guess you could argue that he’s an okay comedy director but I have serious doubts about him being able to pull off a dark, gritty drama.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Hey, I love Old School but pretty much every other movie he’s made has been dreadful.

The Hangover was decent and then he followed it up with two sh*tastic sequels.

I guess you could argue that he’s an okay comedy director but I have serious doubts about him being able to pull off a dark, gritty drama.

i kind of agree with this but adam mckay made comedies (which some were great, some were dog s hit) and made a pretty good serious movie in the big  short.  I hope this is decent tho. all of the dc characters have turned into a joke lately 

6 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I liked the last joker and wish they would of done a movie with him. This one looks like a disaster to me and I’m not a fan of Phoenix. 

So you don't like Phoenix (even if you don't like him you have to give him his props because he is a great actor) but you wanted a Jared Leto Joker movie? 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Drums said:

So you don't like Phoenix (even if you don't like him you have to give him his props because he is a great actor) but you wanted a Jared Leto Joker movie? 

I don’t like the way the movie looks and I think Phoenix is a shit actor. To me he’s like a serious Jim Carrey. He just over acts all the time and doesn’t do a good job at it.

I liked the Leto version of the joker but he wasn’t in suicide squad much so it’s hard to say how his movie would of turned out but I would of rather watch that over Phoenix. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Drums said:

Phoenix is one of the best actors out there right now and I think he will make this a great movie. DC still sucks right now, as long as they try to be the Avengers movies. 

23 minutes ago, Drums said:

17 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I don’t like the way the movie looks and I think Phoenix is a sh*t actor. To me he’s like a serious Jim Carrey. He just over acts all the time and doesn’t do a good job at it.

I liked the Leto version of the joker but he wasn’t in suicide squad much so it’s hard to say how his movie would of turned out but I would of rather watch that over Phoenix. 

I’m not down on the movie but I am not a big fan of Phoenix. 

I’ve liked some of his stuff. 

But his role in The Master killed it for me. 

23 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

I’m not down on the movie but I am not a big fan of Phoenix. 

I’ve liked some of his stuff. 

But his role in The Master killed it for me. 

True, haven’t seen that one but I’ve seen most of his films and he’s always delivered. As already mentioned, I think he plays a great mentally unstable person so I’m optimistic. 

3 minutes ago, Drums said:

True, haven’t seen that one but I’ve seen most of his films and he’s always delivered. As already mentioned, I think he plays a great mentally unstable person so I’m optimistic. 

I hated everything about The Master so maybe he just got pulled in with the suck. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Joaquin Phoenix is a brilliant actor and will carry this movie the same way Heath Ledger carried the otherwise execrable Dark Knight trilogy.

Now that I can see

We still haven’t seen Phoenix as the real “Joker” yet aside from him silently walking through the apartment building and dancing on the steps, but if they let him off the rails and do some gritty sh*t crossed with old Cesar Romero/Mark Hamill Animated series Joker, he could carry it. The laugh they tease after he gets smashed in the face on the train and the outfit at the end seem to indicate that.

I’ll also admit that I love that they’re setting this in the early 80’s, potentially setting the foundation to cast Phoenix in the role again in a future Batman movie. I did some research and evidently the kid he’s forcing the smile on in the trailer is a young Bruce Wayne.

• Upvote 2

On 4/3/2019 at 1:24 PM, GATA said:

I was never a big comic book guy but I definitely grew up with Batman and Superman.. when I watch The avengers I don't know like 80% of those characters LOL this movie looks so good though. I think it's going to be great.

• Upvote 2

On 5/29/2019 at 1:00 AM, Untouchable said:

Now that I can see

We still haven’t seen Phoenix as the real “Joker” yet aside from him silently walking through the apartment building and dancing on the steps, but if they let him off the rails and do some gritty sh*t crossed with old Cesar Romero/Mark Hamill Animated series Joker, he could carry it. The laugh they tease after he gets smashed in the face on the train and the outfit at the end seem to indicate that.

I’ll also admit that I love that they’re setting this in the early 80’s, potentially setting the foundation to cast Phoenix in the role again in a future Batman movie. I did some research and evidently the kid he’s forcing the smile on in the trailer is a young Bruce Wayne.

It kinda looks like a Breaking Bad-style parable about an increasingly isolated man who descends into psychosis, which really speaks to my interests. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

On 6/1/2019 at 10:53 AM, T0mShane said:

It kinda looks like a Breaking Bad-style parable about an increasingly isolated man who descends into psychosis, which really speaks to my interests. 

Speaks to your interests? That is underselling it, that is pretty much your life story.

On 6/1/2019 at 10:41 AM, Maxman said:

I was never a big comic book guy but I definitely grew up with Batman and Superman.. 

Me too. 

On 6/1/2019 at 10:41 AM, Maxman said:

when I watch The avengers I don't know like 80% of those characters LOL this movie looks so good though. I think it's going to be great.

This. When all of a sudden The Black Panther and The Guardians of the Galaxy and Antman and King King and Harry Potter showed up I kind of said “f*ck it”. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Hi Max, Tom here. Yes, that was the crux of the joke. Good job breaking it down for us, Columbo. 

Hi Tom. I repeated it because sometimes your other personalities will answer. And I feel like they don't always communicate with each other. Sorry for the redundancy.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Wake me up when WW2 comes out.  DC has repeatedly failed because they cannot get out of their own way with going for the dark, edgy feel.  It has never worked for them other than maybe the first Christian Bale Batman movie.  Wonder Woman was a totally enjoyable film because they didn't try to put me to sleep with one pity party after another or a series of plastic villains and sidekicks that nobody could care less about (which was Aquaman's problem).  I really want to like DCU, but they make it impossible.  I literally fell asleep watching Batman v Superman.  It was the best part of that movie for me.

I think their version of Flash has potential (I like Ezra Miller).  And Aquaman was fun in JL so maybe they can get some of that back.  But beyond that, it's not working for me.  What's the common theme here?  Cyborg, Batman and Superman are now all defined solely by their anger issues (oh and Bruce's pathetic puppy love for WW).  They have no other sides to their personalities.  On the MCU side, even Bruce Banner, who has the ultimate anger management issue has a lighter side.  You get to laugh during their movies.  DCU doesn't seem to have learned this and until they do, they will continue to be MCU wannabes.  And this one looks as derivative as it gets.  I'll wait to see how it's reviewed before I get excited.

11 hours ago, nycdan said:

Wake me up when WW2 comes out.  DC has repeatedly failed because they cannot get out of their own way with going for the dark, edgy feel.  It has never worked for them other than maybe the first Christian Bale Batman movie.  Wonder Woman was a totally enjoyable film because they didn't try to put me to sleep with one pity party after another or a series of plastic villains and sidekicks that nobody could care less about (which was Aquaman's problem).  I really want to like DCU, but they make it impossible.  I literally fell asleep watching Batman v Superman.  It was the best part of that movie for me.

I think their version of Flash has potential (I like Ezra Miller).  And Aquaman was fun in JL so maybe they can get some of that back.  But beyond that, it's not working for me.  What's the common theme here?  Cyborg, Batman and Superman are now all defined solely by their anger issues (oh and Bruce's pathetic puppy love for WW).  They have no other sides to their personalities.  On the MCU side, even Bruce Banner, who has the ultimate anger management issue has a lighter side.  You get to laugh during their movies.  DCU doesn't seem to have learned this and until they do, they will continue to be MCU wannabes.  And this one looks as derivative as it gets.  I'll wait to see how it's reviewed before I get excited.

Did you miss Aquaman and Shazam?  Shazam is legit excellent but because it's not Disney didn't get the attention it deserves.

10 hours ago, gqxluvx said:

Did you miss Aquaman and Shazam?  Shazam is legit excellent but because it's not Disney didn't get the attention it deserves.

I mentioned Aquaman.  I think Momoa is really good but the rest of the cast was meh.  I'm really tired of the over-used trope of a butt-hurt child who grows up to become a bitter super-villain.  "My daddy was killed while we were stealing a submarine and killing it's crew-members.  Wah!"  I watched about the first 30 minutes of Shazam and it looked like they rolled out the same crap there.  It was a little Lex Luthor mixed in with Syndrome.  Basically, lazy writing.  MCU isn't immune.  Vulture, Killmonger, even Loki all have similar backstories.  I don't want to spoil the new Spiderman for anyone but let's just say I have issues there as well.  I will finish Shazam this weekend just because and hopefully it will be better.  Thanks for the push on that.

You mentioned Aquaman.  Did it seem a little convenient that Black Manta just magically hooks up with the Atlanteans to get their 'super-tech'?  Nothing about who found who and how.  At least with Vulture, they gave a semi-plausible explanation for almost the exact same plotline.  The movies are still usually fun, but it gets old seeing the same thing trotted out again and again.  Again, I'm not anti-DC.  Just mostly the movies themselves.  Wonder Woman surprising borrowed heavily from Captain America yet still was creative, amazingly entertaining and felt original.  I think Patty Jenkins deserves endless credit and accolades for what she did with that and they should probably put her in charge of the entire DCU.

But back to The Joker.  Does any of that preview look like it will be 'original'? Or just a re-interpretation of the same story we've seen a dozen times already?  It may surprise me but I'm not ready to gush over it just because Joaquin Phoenix looks like he can act a little.  There's pretty much only one actor in Hollywood who can single-handedly turn any movie, no matter how badly written, into gold and his name is Samuel M-F Jackson.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...