2020 Draft Class

nyjbuddy

Many "way-too-early" 2020 mock drafts were released this past week.  So I put together a list of players that appear in these mock drafts and will track them throughout the year.  The purpose of this exercise is simply to track prospects that may be in the 2020 draft.

For the data, I used 11 different sites to produce a composite ranking for each player.  I reduced the total number of players down to 34 (though my complete list has 77 players).  The criteria I used for eliminating players, was that they needed to appear in at least 5 of the 11 mock drafts.  Below is a chart of those players ordered by the number of mock drafts they appear in.  The last column is their ADP in those drafts.

A lot will change between now and next draft, but it will be interesting to follow these players throughout the year.

Initial thoughts:

1. A lot of wide receiver talent. 
  2. There is more offensive tackle talent than 2019
  3. Good distribution/representation of each position group
First Name Last Name Position School Height Weight Top ADP
Tua Tagovailoa QB Alabama 73 218 11 2.5
Jerry Jeudy WR Alabama 73 192 11 4.3
Justin Herbert QB Oregon 78 225 11 4.8
Chase Young EDGE Ohio State 77 265 11 6.5
Derrick Brown DT Auburn 77 316 11 7.6
Andrew Thomas T Georgia 77 320 11 8.8
Walker Little T Stanford 79 313 11 8.5
Grant Delpit S LSU 75 203 11 9.5
Jake Fromm QB Georgia 74 220 11 11.1
A.J. Epenesa DE Iowa 77 277 11 12.5
Raekwon Davis DL Alabama 79 306 11 15.6
Laviska Shenault WR Colorado 74 220 10 10.0
Dylan Moses ILB Alabama 75 233 10 19.1
Albert Okwuegbunam TE Missouri 77 260 10 19.0
Isaiah Simmons LB Clemson 74 230 10 19.6
Tee Higgins WR Clemson 76 200 10 20.6
C.J. Henderson CB Florida 73 186 9 16.0
CeeDee Lamb WR Oklahoma 74 189 9 20.1
Trey Adams T Washington 79 315 9 25.2
Tyler Biadasz G Wisconsin 75 315 9 27.8
Jaylon Johnson CB Utah 72 190 8 29.3
Collin Johnson WR Texas 78 220 7 21.4
Paddy Fisher LB Northwestern 76 241 7 25.9
Trey Smith T Tennessee 78 320 7 16.4
Travis Etienne RB Clemson 70 200 6 18.8
Nick Coe DE/DT Auburn 77 282 6 18.0
Kenny Willekes DE Michigan State 76 260 5 35.6
Trevon Diggs CB Alabama 74 195 5 17.0
Jonathan Taylor RB Wisconsin 71 215 5 17.6
Bryce Hall CB Virginia 72 200 5 17.4
Jacob Eason QB Washington 77 227 5 21.0
Henry Ruggs III WR Alabama 72 183 5 29.2
Mekhi Becton T Louisville 79 355 5 20.2
Tylan Wallace WR Oklahoma State 72 185 5 19.8
  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 4

Give me Walker Little!

DNG-L-STANFOOT-0829-1.jpg?w=620

https://www.rotoworld.com/college-football/nfl-draft/player/40287/walker-little

In his early 2020 mock draft, Bleacher Report's Matt Miller pegged Stanford junior T Walker Little as the No. 2 overall selection. Miller refers to the 6-foot-7, 313-pound Little as a "plug-and-play blindside protector." In his early mock, he has the Stanford standout heading to the Jets. While it's more/less impossible to predict the actual team order of the draft with the fall season still months away, Miller believes Little would be a perfect fit for the Jets, who failed to address their offensive line need\s this offseason. Georgia's Andrew Thomas and Tennessee's Trey Smith are two other candidates to land as the first offensive linemen selected next spring.
SOURCE: Bleacher Report
Apr 30, 2019, 11:15 AM ET

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2019 at 6:19 PM, jetstream23 said:

"Take what the Draft gives you" has become my mindset in recent years.  2018 was a QB draft....we got one.  2019 was loaded with Front 7 defensive talent....we used our first 2 picks on that.  If 2020 is WRs and OTs then I hope that's where we go.  Maybe that's a reason why the Jets passed on WR given the opportunity in several rounds this year to get one.

If you accept that the value for trade downs was not there in Rd 1 and that trading up into Rd 2 was simply too expensive (future picks, etc.)... then the choices really come down to:

• Chuma Edoga over Miles Boykin/Hakeem Butler and Cajuste/Bobby Evans
    • They traded up for Edoga so clearly this was the guy they wanted, I probably would've gone Butler as a nice big red zone target. Whatever as long as he pass protects and turns into a starter. 
  • Trevon Wesco over Riley Ridley (WR) and Michael Jordan (C)
    • Wesco seems like he has higher upside than either honestly. Probably would've gone Jordan as G/C depth
  • Blake Cashman over David Edwards (OT) and Travis Fulgham (WR)
    • He needs to be a core special teamer for this pick to be ok IMO. 
  • Blessuan Austin over Kelvin Harmon (WR) and Kris Boyd (CB) 
    • This bothers me the most honestly -- I don't think you get anything out of Austin this year and possibly next, 7th should be a core special teamer. He probably turns into a Pro-Bowler given my dislike here haha 
  • Haha 1

On 5/1/2019 at 10:47 AM, IndianaJet said:

Man...Herbert really ****ed us.

If he had stayed in this draft, between him and Murray, we could have really gotten a haul for that 3rd pick.

I know but I think he did the right thing for him. Hopefully, for him, he avoids injury and has a rebound year.

9 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

7 WRs and 5 OTs......12 players, more than 1/3 of the first round.   One of these has to be a target for the Jets in 2020. 

You would think so.   I think as this season plays out people will realize just how bad this team needs an infusion of playmakers on offense.   People are overrating this current group.   

• Upvote 2

On 5/21/2019 at 1:18 AM, jetstream23 said:

7 WRs and 5 OTs......12 players, more than 1/3 of the first round.   One of these has to be a target for the Jets in 2020. 

I’m going to guess and say that they’ll be more defensive players added to the top by the draft but this should be a good year to get offensive players. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

OLine, CB and WR seems to be the biggest needs for the Jets.  Those first two positions are considered premium positions....expensive in FA, hard to find standout players, difficult to keep without using franchise tags, etc.  Assuming the Jets go something like 8-8, 9-7 this year then they'll be picking in the 14-20 range.  If the Draft is as deep as they say then I could see Joe Douglas trying to do what the Eagles did this year....find a solid LT prospect in that range.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/13/2019 at 1:47 AM, jetstream23 said:

OLine, CB and WR seems to be the biggest needs for the Jets.  Those first two positions are considered premium positions....expensive in FA, hard to find standout players, difficult to keep without using franchise tags, etc.  Assuming the Jets go something like 8-8, 9-7 this year then they'll be picking in the 14-20 range.  If the Draft is as deep as they say then I could see Joe Douglas trying to do what the Eagles did this year....find a solid LT prospect in that range.

It would be nice to see them concentrate on OL then CB/WR. I’m guessing they’ll be drafting around 10. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/30/2019 at 1:57 PM, New York Mick said:

It would be nice to see them concentrate on OL then CB/WR. I’m guessing they’ll be drafting around 10. 

The Jets won't be drafting in the top 15.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-pff-weighs-in-on-current-no-1-overall-pick-odds-for-the-2020-nfl-draft?fbclid=IwAR1p_gHYXNE51sWAK-JKyMVMMZOtStI-T7Pc38xhqSeVH4CAgbOE10vQVKk

PFF weighs in on current No. 1 overall pick odds for the 2020 NFL Draft

$34.99 / m

USATSI_11950137_168384674_lowres.jpg?w=9

While training camps around the league have officially begun, some fanbases should already have an eye towards next April’s draft (you know who you are). With Vegas already officially handicapping who will be the first pick in the 2020 NFL Draft, we thought we’d give our take on the race to the No. 1 overall pick.

The interesting thing to keep in mind is who will be making the pick at No. 1 overall after this season. Vegas currently has five teams projected with six or fewer wins in 2019. They are the Miami Dolphins (5), Arizona Cardinals (5), New York Giants (6), Oakland Raiders (6) and Cincinnati Bengals (6). The Giants and Cardinals are extremely unlikely to go quarterback while the Dolphins, Raiders and Bengals wouldn’t have to go quarterback. Odds are, though, even if the team picking No. 1 doesn’t need a quarterback, someone close enough to trade up will target a signal-caller. The 2017 NFL Draft was the only time a non-QB went No. 1 overall in the last five years. The value that the quarterback position presents is tough difficult to pass up.

QB TUA TAGOVAILOA, ALABAMA (+150)

He’s the favorite for a reason. Tua brings to the table pretty much everything you could ask for from a modern quarterback — except arm strength. His accuracy, anticipation, pocket presence and athleticism are all top-notch. No pages of an NFL playbook are off-limits with his skillset. The arm strength, though, is about at the baseline NFL level, and it simply won’t look as pretty as other quarterbacks in the class. That being said, he has little more to prove other than that he won’t crumble down the stretch again.

QB JUSTIN HERBERT, OREGON (+325)

While we agree with Tua being the favorite at this point, Herbert’s odds offer the best value here if for nothing else other than he ‘looks the part’ more. The Oregon quarterback stands a prototypical 6-foot-6, 234 pounds and has the type of arm talent scouts drool over.  Herbert simply has to cut the ugly out of his tape. Watching games like Stanford and Cal, where he earned passing grades over 90.0, you can’t help but see elite-level NFL ability. But then he goes out against San Jose State (59.8 passing grade) or Arizona (29.1 passing grade) and looks like the game is moving too fast for him. It’s likely the reason he returned for his senior year. If we don’t see that from him in 2019, there’s a good chance he’s the top guy on some boards.

QB JAKE FROMM, GEORGIA (+500)

Fromm is largely the third wheel in the 2020 quarterback conversation, but he’s got a couple of things in his favor at this point. One is the offense he plays in. It’s visually closer to what most NFL offenses resemble. Over the past two seasons, Fromm has taken 436 snaps from under center compared to 54 from Tagovailoa and only five from Herbert. Fromm has also seen a steady upward trend to his performance over the last two seasons with an 81.1 passing grade as a freshman to an 86.8 last season. At the end of the day, though, the tools and high-end aren’t on par with the other two at this point, making him a longer shot than his +500 odds to be the first pick at this point.

EDGE CHASE YOUNG, OHIO STATE (+700)

If there is any non-QB who will be picked No. 1 overall, it’s this guy. Young led the entire FBS in pressures as a true sophomore. In our five years of college grading, the only other sophomore to achieve such a feat was one Joey Bosa. At 6-foot-5, 265 pounds, Young is going to check every single box the NFL wants checked. He’ll be a top-5 pick if healthy, and the top pick if the QB class fizzles out.

DI DERRICK BROWN, AUBURN (+700)

This is the absolute sucker bet of the group. Brown is a massive disruptor on the interior for the Auburn defense, but he ain’t going No. 1 overall. Maybe a decade ago he’d have a chance, but the game has changed since then. No one is taking a 320-pound defensive tackle No. 1 overall. It’s no knock on Brown, but it’s nearly impossible to be an every snap player at that weight without wearing down. If a non-QB isn’t the first overall pick, the talent and value at edge or wide receiver will be the pick.

WR JERRY JEUDY, ALABAMA (+900)

With three-wide becoming the norm, there’s not a team in the NFL who wouldn’t be in need of Jeudy’s services. The problem with buying him hard as the top pick – aside from the fact that only three wideouts have ever been picked first in the draft – is that Jeudy doesn’t have the prototypical measurements. While they in no way, shape or form limit him on the football field, Jeudy’s 6-foot-1, 192-pound frame doesn’t fit the profile we’ve seen at the receiver position early in the draft.

WHAT DO YOU THINK? START A CONVERSATION.

13 hours ago, Paradis said:

Early pre-season top 10 draft eligible WRs

1. Tee Higgins
  2. Jerry Jeudy
  3. Antonio Gandy-Golden
  4. Ceedee Lamb 
  5. Collin Johnson 
  6. Henry Ruggs
  7. Donovan Peoples Jones
  8. Laviska Shenault
  9. Tyler Johnson 
  10. Chase Claypool

Give me Higgins, Jeudy or Lamb next year and i’ll very happy.   

• Sympathy 1

On 7/29/2019 at 6:47 AM, sec101row23 said:

Give me Higgins, Jeudy or Lamb next year and i’ll very happy.   

I'm a big Lamb fan. But I also acknowledge some of the "concerns" if you can call them that about his quote unquote completeness as a receiver; Route running, and some of the technical aspects of the position. He will be a popular under-the-microscope prospect with varying opinions I'd wager.  

I expect AGG to become a "thing" in 2019

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Paradis said:

I'm a big Lamb fan. But I also acknowledge some of the "concerns" if you can call them that about his quote unquote completeness as a receiver; Route running, and some of the technical aspects of the position. He will be a popular under-the-microscope prospect with varying opinions I'd wager.  

I expect AGG to become a "thing" in 2019

Are you back from the dead? It looks like @sec101row23 crawled out of his grave recently so maybe we can get some gameday threads going. 

Miami and Florida to kick it off. Sweet!!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RobR said:

Are you back from the dead? It looks like @sec101row23 crawled out of his grave recently so maybe we can get some gameday threads going. 

I look forward to those threads. 

i've just been doing other things. trying not to get caught up like I usually do. Been spending time with the kids this summer, enjoying life, etc. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, RobR said:

Yes!   Going to be an interesting year in college football.  You have the transfer QBs at OU and OSU,  Bama and Clemson should have some record setting offenses this year.  Crazy amount of talent on those rosters right now.  This coming draft is going to be full of WRs and CBs, two huge needs for this Jets team.  

• Upvote 2

On 8/1/2019 at 1:15 AM, Paradis said:

I look forward to those threads. 

i've just been doing other things. trying not to get caught up like I usually do. Been spending time with the kids this summer, enjoying life, etc. 

I've been in hiding as well. TBH, I think the Jets are going to make a playoff run this year, so I may not be as vested in the draft until the season is over. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I've been in hiding as well. TBH, I think the Jets are going to make a playoff run this year, so I may not be as vested in the draft until the season is over. 

I don't really care about draft implications when CFB rolls around. I just love watching the best sport in the US and the many great games we will watch. I only worry about the draft once the college season is over.

I also think the Jets are going to have a big year this year. Might even put some coin on the over/under for wins, but I don't want to jinx them.

• Sympathy 2

On 4/30/2019 at 1:33 PM, nyjbuddy said:

Raekwon Davis DL Alabama 79 306 11 15.6

Laviska Shenault WR Colorado 74 220 10 10.0

Dylan Moses ILB Alabama 75 233 10 19.1

Albert Okwuegbunam TE Missouri 77 260 10 19.0

Isaiah Simmons LB Clemson 74 230 10 19.6

Tee Higgins WR Clemson 76 200 10 20.6

C.J. Henderson CB Florida 73 186 9 16.0

CeeDee Lamb WR Oklahoma 74 189 9 20.1

Trey Adams T Washington 79 315 9 25.2

Tyler Biadasz G Wisconsin 75 315 9 27.8

Jaylon Johnson CB Utah 72 190 8 29.3

Collin Johnson WR Texas 78 220 7 21.4

Just for grins I grabbed the guys in the middle of the pack....the 12 names from the OP after the 10th spot figuring the Jets will likely draft outside the Top 10 and be something like a 7-9, 8-8, or 9-7 team.  I then bolded anybody who plays either CB, OLine or WR....which I think will be three of our biggest needs.  This Draft could line up really, really well with what we could use.

On 7/28/2019 at 5:39 PM, Paradis said:

Early pre-season top 10 draft eligible WRs

1. Tee Higgins
  2. Jerry Jeudy
  3. Antonio Gandy-Golden
  4. Ceedee Lamb 
  5. Collin Johnson 
  6. Henry Ruggs
  7. Donovan Peoples Jones
  8. Laviska Shenault
  9. Tyler Johnson 
  10. Chase Claypool

I forgot about Baylor WR Denzel Mims... I thought at times he looked like the most impressive offensive player on the team. 

He'll be a name. 

• 4 weeks later...

I did some of the same analysis as the original post but the number of resources were less.  First time I used 11 sites, this time I used only 5.  Rather than posting a list, I just wanted to add a few notes (risers and fallers).

• The top 20 remained mostly the same with a few exceptions:
    • Walker Little and Albert Okwuegbunam are not appearing in as many mock drafts (no longer considered 1st rounders)
    • Derrick Brown has dropped from ADP 7.6 to ADP 18.8
    • Raekwon Davis has dropped from ADP 15.6 to ADP 20.75
  • Jaylon Johnson, Collin Johnson, Paddy Fisher, Trey Smith, Nick Coe, Kenny Willekes have all dropped out of the first round conversation
  • A few risers: D'Andre Swift (RB, Georgia), Tristan Wirfs (OT, Iowa), Jordan Love (QB, Utah State), Julian Okwara (EDGE, Notre Dame), Paulson Adebo (CB, Stanford)
    • Tristan Wirfs seems to have replaced Walker Little as the 2nd OT after Andrew Thomas
  • Jerry Jeudy, Laviska Shenault, Tee Higgins, CeeDee Lamb, and Henry Ruggs are all set to be first round WRs.
  • Upvote 2

On 9/5/2019 at 4:12 PM, nyjbuddy said:

I did some of the same analysis as the original post but the number of resources were less.  First time I used 11 sites, this time I used only 5.  Rather than posting a list, I just wanted to add a few notes (risers and fallers).

• The top 20 remained mostly the same with a few exceptions:
    • Walker Little and Albert Okwuegbunam are not appearing in as many mock drafts (no longer considered 1st rounders)
    • Derrick Brown has dropped from ADP 7.6 to ADP 18.8
    • Raekwon Davis has dropped from ADP 15.6 to ADP 20.75
  • Jaylon Johnson, Collin Johnson, Paddy Fisher, Trey Smith, Nick Coe, Kenny Willekes have all dropped out of the first round conversation
  • A few risers: D'Andre Swift (RB, Georgia), Tristan Wirfs (OT, Iowa), Jordan Love (QB, Utah State), Julian Okwara (EDGE, Notre Dame), Paulson Adebo (CB, Stanford)
    • Tristan Wirfs seems to have replaced Walker Little as the 2nd OT after Andrew Thomas
  • Jerry Jeudy, Laviska Shenault, Tee Higgins, CeeDee Lamb, and Henry Ruggs are all set to be first round WRs.

Walker Little had season ending knee surgery.  Makes sense that he will not be appearing on a lot of mocks right now.  

• Upvote 1