NFL finalizes pass interference replay for 2019 season

Drums

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001034228/article/nfl-finalizes-pass-interference-replay-for-2019-season

The pass interference review rule for the 2019 season is officially finalized. 

The NFL Competition Committee unanimously recommended the rule for instant replay of pass interference for this season only, the league announced Thursday. This comes exactly one week after the league announced teams had a week to provide additional feedback on the final rule.

According to the final rule, pass interference reviews after the two-minute warning of each half and during overtime will be initiated by the replay official. The replay official will only stop the game when there is "clear and obvious visual evidence" that a pass interference penalty may or may not have occurred.

In an effort to limit excessive stoppages, any stoppage will occur under stricter criteria than other reviewable plays. Calls will only be reversed based on "clear and obvious visual evidence" that an incorrect call was made, which is the same standard for all reviews.

Even under two minutes, all passing plays can be reviewed for pass interference. Any "Hail Mary" play at the end of a half or game will be reviewed in replay consistent with the guidelines for officiating the play on the field.

• Sympathy 1

I hope this new rule reverses some of the ticky tack end of game penalties that usually go against the Jets! Also the no calls against the Patriots D-backs becoming penalties works also. As long as these new rules helps the Jets I am all for them.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

7 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

I hope this new rule reverses some of the ticky tack end of game penalties that usually go against the Jets! Also the no calls against the Patriots D-backs becoming penalties works also. As long as these new rules helps the Jets I am all for them.

I hope it doesn’t mean every hail mary will get reviewed. I think this rule can be good and bad. 

• Upvote 1

The NFL has way over thought and over defined the instant replay rules. It should be very simple. Anything that was obviously officiated incorrectly can be corrected via replay. That includes any penalty that may or may not have happened. We have the technology.

Keep the challenge system as is so games aren't extended, just let them use the video evidence to get it right. That's supposed to be the point.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The NFL has way over thought and over defined the instant replay rules. It should be very simple. Anything that was obviously officiated incorrectly can be corrected via replay. That includes any penalty that may or may not have happened. We have the technology.

Keep the challenge system as is so games aren't extended, just let them use the video evidence to get it right. That's supposed to be the point.

Add a challenge and get rid of the automatic review under two minutes/after a score

• Upvote 2

This rule is terrible.  These are judgement calls There's almost certainly PI on virtually every play if you look at the letter of the rule.  Especially at the end of games.  

All it's doing is continuing to make it an offensive league and less defense allowed.  

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This rule is terrible.  These are judgement calls There's almost certainly PI on virtually every play if you look at the letter of the rule.  Especially at the end of games.  

All it's doing is continuing to make it an offensive league and less defense allowed.  

Almost every call is a judgement call. If they have obvious evidence of something being called incorrectly they should be able to fix it.

6 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

I don't think the NFL wants another repeat of that Saints playoff loss. They HAVE to fix something as blatantly obvious like that. I love to hear what the ref, who was looking right at it, has to say about that play. 

Why? Just say "we ****ed up, we'll try to do better" and move on. 

Next, some team will get robbed on a holding call and THAT will be reviewable.

sh*t happens. Making PI reviewable is a horrible idea and will be just as arbitrary and subjective as the ridiculous "catch rule" crap. 

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

I don't think the NFL wants another repeat of that Saints playoff loss. They HAVE to fix something as blatantly obvious like that. I love to hear what the ref, who was looking right at it, has to say about that play. 

The saints call is the most overrated bad call of all time. It was nearly a bang bang play- the other camera angle shows the defender getting there essentially when the ball was already over the receivers head. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

11 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

why shouldn't it be? If there's a blatant hold at the point of attack on a big play that the refs missed why not correct that? I think a lot of the push back against this stuff is that it is not the way it's always been, and people don't like change.

45 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Almost every call is a judgement call. If they have obvious evidence of something being called incorrectly they should be able to fix it.

Just not true - false starts, illegal motion, offsides, delay of game etc.  PI and holding calls are the judgement calls

Are you suggesting they should do this for Offensive Holding too?.

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Just not true - false starts, illegal motion, offsides, delay of game etc.  PI and holding calls are the judgement calls

Are you suggesting they should do this for Offensive Holding too?.

they should allow everything to be corrected when there is obvious video evidence that it wasn't right on the field, holding included. all of it. Why not correct something we know is wrong?

12 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

they should allow everything to be corrected when there is obvious video evidence that it wasn't right on the field, holding included. all of it. Why not correct something we know is wrong?

Because what does "Obvious" mean?

If you look at the rules - there's an awful lot of Holding and PI that's isn't currently being called.

This rule will ultimately cause more problems than help.  

What's going to happen when the game is on the line and a letter of the law PI happens, yet isn't overturned?  Still ultimately going to be judgement calls just now a lot more eyes will be on it.

This is just a bad idea. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nico002 said:

Add a challenge and get rid of the automatic review under two minutes/after a score

54 minutes ago, nico002 said:

The saints call is the most overrated bad call of all time. It was nearly a bang bang play- the other camera angle shows the defender getting there essentially when the ball was already over the receivers head. 

please stop

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Because what does "Obvious" mean?

If you look at the rules - there's an awful lot of Holding and PI that's isn't currently being called.

This rule will ultimately cause more problems than help.  

What's going to happen when the game is on the line and a letter of the law PI happens, yet isn't overturned?  Still ultimately going to be judgement calls just now a lot more eyes will be on it.

This is just a bad idea. 

ob·vi·ous
/ˈäbvēəs/
adjective

1. easily perceived or understood; clear, self-evident, or apparent.
    "unemployment has been the most obvious cost of the recession"
    synonyms:

clear, plain, plain to see, crystal clear, evident, apparent, manifest, patent, conspicuous, pronounced, transparent, clear-cut, palpable, prominent, marked, decided, salient, striking, distinct, bold, noticeable, perceptible, perceivable, visible, discernible, detectable, observable, tangible, recognizable; 

Why would having the ability to correct something that was obviously missed cause more problems than it would help? Break it down for us.

1 hour ago, Thai Jet said:

This is going to make it worse. There is no perfect system.  You can't over react  to an extreme case like the New Orleans case.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

How does it make anything worse? Explain.

Because there is contact on virtually every pass play. In the last two minutes of a close game when a team is passing to get down the field there will be stopages after virtually every play. Although the NFL states only clear and obvious pass interference will be reviewed, mark my word they will review and overturn even tictac plays. Instant replay sounds great in theory but stinks in practice.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nico002 said:

You must have been watching a different game from everyone else.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

25 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Because there is contact on virtually every pass play. In the last two minutes of a close game when a team is passing to get down the field there will be stopages after virtually every play. Although the NFL states only clear and obvious pass interference will be reviewed, mark my word they will review and overturn even tictac plays. Instant replay sounds great in theory but stinks in practice.

Contact is different than pass interference. The NFL has gotten MUCH better with how they overturn calls with instant replay in the last 2 years. They are actually following the "indisputable video evidence" part of it correctly now. I get the concern that it will be over used but given the way they've corrected it over the past couple of years I don't see that happening.

9 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

This rule has disaster written all over it.

You could have coaches challenging just about every pass play. 

I think at some point you need some kind of human element in the game

Coaches get 2 challenges per game and a third if the first two are successful. They aren't going to challenge every pass play because they literally can't.

22 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Contact is different than pass interference. The NFL has gotten MUCH better with how they overturn calls with instant replay in the last 2 years. They are actually following the "indisputable video evidence" part of it correctly now. I get the concern that it will be over used but given the way they've corrected it over the past couple of years I don't see that happening.

You have more faith than me, I hope you are right but I think it is going to be a cluster f*ck. Much like the time Seffarien-Jenkins TD turned into a Patriots touchback because the ball rolled so slightly that the naked eye missed it.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:
ob·vi·ous
/ˈäbvēəs/
adjective

1. easily perceived or understood; clear, self-evident, or apparent.
    "unemployment has been the most obvious cost of the recession"
    synonyms:

clear, plain, plain to see, crystal clear, evident, apparent, manifest, patent, conspicuous, pronounced, transparent, clear-cut, palpable, prominent, marked, decided, salient, striking, distinct, bold, noticeable, perceptible, perceivable, visible, discernible, detectable, observable, tangible, recognizable; 

Why would having the ability to correct something that was obviously missed cause more problems than it would help? Break it down for us.

Because what is obvious to you, may not be obvious to me.   

3 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Why? Just say "we ****ed up, we'll try to do better" and move on. 

sh*t happens. Making PI reviewable is a horrible idea and will be just as arbitrary and subjective as the ridiculous "catch rule" crap. 

Agree....

Problem is every replay official, coach or fan will have a different definition of what "clear and obvious visual evidence" is - ultimately it's still a judgement call as it was in the initial call.

4 hours ago, nico002 said:

That ball was NOT over his head! The DB arrived BEFORE the ball and was a good 2 yards away!

N.O. would have beaten Brady/Pats so this play REALLY pissed me off!!

3 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

That ball was NOT over his head! The DB arrived BEFORE the ball and was a good 2 yards away!

N.O. would have beaten Brady/Pats so this play REALLY pissed me off!!

I’m not denying that it was PI. I’m saying it wasn’t one of the worst calls I’ve ever seen. In fact- I don’t believe replay would overturn that because in my opinion there is no angle that 100% definitely shows that the ball was there before the defender.

• Thumb Down 1

It's great that they're doing this. Pass interference penalties impact games like no other, and it's also one of the hardest calls for officials to make, which leads to a lot of screw-ups. Like with any rule change, there are going to be a bunch of Chicken Littles saying it's going to destroy the game, make games longer, blah, blah, blah. That's horse crap. Interference penalty reviews have been  no problem with the Canadian football league.