What was the best offensive Jets team of all time?

13 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

Jets would of won that game except for that field. The Jets had speed - Freeman McNeil, Wesley Walker, Bruce Harper. Shula pulled the tarp off to slow down the Jets and it worked.

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Always so sure of yourself.  If we were such an easy win for them, why did that douche take the tarp off?  He was scared of McNeil who was on an absolute tear.  The route in NY was the opener.  Things change during the course of a season and the fact that we lost by 1 in Miami less than a month earlier shows that the idea we were an easy win for Miami is a joke.   

That muddy field 100% cost us that game. To argue otherwise means you weren’t watching back then. We were playing great at that point and with a dry field we win and go to the SB. 

• Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

It’s funny reading how overrated the 80s guys are on this board. I get many of us grew up with them, but need to be objective and admit 98 was better than anything we had in the 80s. 

I disagree, it’s only we had Joe Walton making an ass out of the team. The 98 team had the Tuna. 

The 1985/86 had much better players than the 98 team. Vinny was better than Kenny O, but that’s it. Shuler is the best T.E we ever had, McNeil was fantastic, Toon was as good as Rice in his first few years, and Walker could blown the roof off any D.

• Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Miami earned homefield advantage by SWEEPING us in excellent conditions.  The field didn't win or lose the game that day, Miami was better.  

You're out of your mind.  It led to a rule change, not to thinking as assbackwards as whatever you're trying to sell.  Home field is about the fans, crowd, need to travel etc.  Not this bs

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Blackout said:

The 98 Jets had a lot of firepower

The 72 team was great until December rolled around 

If the 1972 team had a defense they would have been dangerous. One of the reasons the offense slowed down late in the year was their offensive backfield was very banged up. Riggins was hurt and Boozer was also injured,  he tried to play through it but wasn't effective.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

You're out of your mind.  It led to a rule change, not to thinking as assbackwards as whatever you're trying to sell.  Home field is about the fans, crowd, need to travel etc.  Not this bs

The Jets offense was hot as a pistol & Shula knew it & leaving the tarp off would slow down the Jets offense.

The field conditions would never be allowed today for an NFL playoff game. Jesus Christ, Robert Kraft put a new field in Gillette because the Jets kicked their azz on a muddy field & it stifled their offensive fire power. 

Fields are PRISTINE for playoff game in this day & age. They were using GIANT SQUEEGEES to try to get water off the field. Why wasn’t that field covered in tarps? Shula was also the head of the rules committee. I just wish Walt Michaels could get at him after that f*cking debocle. He tried & was fired for it.

• Post of the Week 1

15 minutes ago, Jetster said:

The Jets offense was hot as a pistol & Shula knew it & leaving the tarp off would slow down the Jets offense.

The field conditions would never be allowed today for an NFL playoff game. Jesus Christ, Robert Kraft put a new field in Gillette because the Jets kicked their azz on a muddy field & it stifled their offensive fire power. 

Fields are PRISTINE for playoff game in this day & age. They were using GIANT SQUEEGEES to try to get water off the field. Why wasn’t that field covered in tarps? Shula was also the head of the rules committee. I just wish Walt Michaels could get at him after that f*cking debocle. He tried & was fired for it.

So that makes at least two who understand this and one person who will argue until we're dead and gone that we both played on the same field. Lol

• Sympathy 1

19 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So that makes at least two who understand this and one person who will argue until we're dead and gone that we both played on the same field. Lol

Ahhh 3. 

No way we lose that game on a dry field. If you think otherwise you weren’t watching. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Ahhh 3. 

No way we lose that game on a dry field. If you think otherwise you weren’t watching. 

Exactly. 

Anyone who watched those two teams play, has even the most understand of the game and styles would admit that the slow, sloppy slippery field was huge advantage fish.  

Youll see though, he'll be back arguing that both teams played on the same field, blah, blah, blah

10 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Exactly. 

Anyone who watched those two teams play, has even the most understand of the game and styles would admit that the slow, sloppy slippery field was huge advantage fish.  

Youll see though, he'll be back arguing that both teams played on the same field, blah, blah, blah

He’s a tool and takes this stuff way too seriously. 

Especially for someone proven wrong time after time. And had never even seen some of the BS he’s formed idiotic opinions about.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

He’s a tool and takes this stuff way too seriously. 

Especially for someone proven wrong time after time. And had never even seen some of the BS he’s formed idiotic opinions about.

I get that same impression of him.  Between Namath wasn't that good, the Jets had a cake walk to the SB, Sanchez was really good nonsense you really have to be making it all up.  

On 7/8/2019 at 12:03 AM, Grandy said:

First 11 games of 2008 Favre offense. Though I wasnt alive to see the Namath and Walker+Toon offenses. 

When Favres arm was healthy and he ignored Schotty, themes were the days.

Namath - in an era not known for offense - might have categorically been our best, relatively speaking.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Ahhh 3. 

I had never been so mad ? when my friends told me about the field conditions when I walked in case of beer in hand. Then I looked at the TV & saw them squeegying the field & it looked terrible & commented right away, "f*cking Shula left the field exposed to slow down the Jets". 

That was criminal & the Jets would have kicked the Redskins azzes in the Super Bowl. All the Fins had to do was slow down Riggins & they couldn't. Jets would have scored over 30 vs that Skins team.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Always so sure of yourself.  If we were such an easy win for them, why did that douche take the tarp off?  He was scared of McNeil who was on an absolute tear.  The rout in NY was the opener.  Things change during the course of a season and the fact that we lost by 1 in Miami less than a month earlier shows that the idea we were an easy win for Miami is a joke.   

I never said Miami wins easily, I said they beat us twice on good fields, to say the only reason we lost was because of the conditions is incorrect.  Would we have won if they conditions were perfect?  Maybe, we'll never know but we do know they swept us and earned homefield in that game 

As for Shula, coaches always look to gain an advantage any way they can.  It doesn't mean he thought the only way they could beat us was to muddy the field.

14 hours ago, Nixhead said:

Jets would of won that game except for that field. The Jets had speed - Freeman McNeil, Wesley Walker, Bruce Harper. Shula pulled the tarp off to slow down the Jets and it worked.

Maybe, we'll never know but what we do know is both teams played on the same field and we lost.

We had basically the same team in 1981 and on a similar field in the WC game we scored 27 points.  In Miami we scored zero, maybe we can give their D a little credit?

14 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Belichick did the same thing in the early-mid 00s.  The field didn't win or lose that game, it's an excuse.  Miami beat us 3 times that year whether on good or bad fields.  They were better.

14 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

That muddy field 100% cost us that game. To argue otherwise means you weren’t watching back then. We were playing great at that point and with a dry field we win and go to the SB. 

We were on a 2 game win streak entering that game, Miami was on a 5 game when streak. During that 5 game win streak they scored at least 20 every game and averaged 28.6 PPG including beating us on a dry field.  In their 2 playoff games they won by 15 and 21 but yeah we were unstoppable and it was just the field why we lost.

12 hours ago, Jetster said:

Jets offense "hot as a pistol":

Previous 5 games they averaged 22.8 per game, had scored less than. 20 2x including the week before in perfect conditions.

Miami previous 5 games didn't score less than 20 and averaged 28.6 PPG.

Do you remember how "pristine" Shea was for the 1981 WC game?  To compare fields of today to that of the early 80s is silly. 

12 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

No, that makes one who understands it and the rest just making pathetic excuses

3 hours ago, Jetster said:

I had never been so mad ? when my friends told me about the field conditions when I walked in case of beer in hand. Then I looked at the TV & saw them squeegying the field & it looked terrible & commented right away, "f*cking Shula left the field exposed to slow down the Jets". 

That was criminal & the Jets would have kicked the Redskins azzes in the Super Bowl. All the Fins had to do was slow down Riggins & they couldn't. Jets would have scored over 30 vs that Skins team.

It's funny, folks who actually were old enough to watch and understand the game get this.

17 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Favre doesn’t get injured and we go to the SB. 

I remember the hype that we were going to get a Jet-Giant SB for the first time ever because it looked like, at one point, both NY teams were the best or close to the best in the NFL. 

Then pop goes the bi-cep tendon and that was it for us. 

The Favre trade was the right move.  Chad was a crap qb who was at best an ok game manager we would have been one and done in the playoffs.  Clemens was hot garbage 

1 hour ago, Jets0712 said:

It was all about proper foot wear for THAT game. Miami had the proper cleats for THAT game. That was the purpose. The JETS as the road team. Did not bring their mudders with them. Had there regular cleats as if they were going to play on a dry field. BIG advantage fish.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

So, what you are saying is...  the Jets are stupid? 

I am 52 years old and in the trunk of my car there is a gym bag with 3 different kinds of cleats - one an annoying but cool pair of Adidas patent leather black clam shell screw ins with 2 sizes of cleats - so I have 4 types of fields covered.  Much as I like to dream, I will not be playing the AFC championship.

• Sympathy 1

17 hours ago, nyjunc said:

On dry fields that year:

Miami beat us 45-28 in NY and we scored 2 garbage time TDs in the 4th to pull within 17.

Miami beat us 20-19 in Miami.

It didn't matter where we played and because Miami swept us that earned homefield in that championship game.

we disagree because rules are rules that field by definition of the nfl rules should have been covered. End of story what happened before does not matter dry or wet because in those games rules were followed. or are rules only good for certain people and certain times? there are no excuses for not following the nfl rules? what if someone was hurt and it ended their career?. 

https://www.nytimes.com/1983/01/24/sports/no-excuse-for-missing-tarpaulin.html

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

11 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Exactly. 

Fish do like water ? I seem to remember some reports that Miami knowing the field was mud changed their cleats that worked better in Mud.

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

The Favre trade was the right move.  Chad was a crap qb who was at best an ok game manager we would have been one and done in the playoffs.  Clemens was hot garbage 

The Favre trade was an okay move for the team.  It was completely the wrong move for Mangini though.  He was a micromanaging douche that was going to great lengths to install his team and his system.  Load the team with football first team captain choirboys.  Then in year 3, he goes and gets a gunslinger that he knew he couldn't handle.  It cost him his job and any chance at true NFL relevance.  All for 9-7.  Everyone knew that Favre wasn't coming back in 2009, so it was just silly.

18 hours ago, nyjunc said:

On dry fields that year:

Miami beat us 45-28 in NY and we scored 2 garbage time TDs in the 4th to pull within 17.

Miami beat us 20-19 in Miami.

It didn't matter where we played and because Miami swept us that earned homefield in that championship game.

Hey man, take all your bs stats and stop the hating. Who do you actually root for in the NFL. You see nothing objectively and if you think the tarp issue in the Championship game didn't matter, then there is something wrong with you.

giphy.gif

So, what you are saying is...  the Jets are stupid? 
I am 52 years old and in the trunk of my car there is a gym bag with 3 different kinds of cleats - one an annoying but cool pair of Adidas patent leather black screw ins with 2 sizes of cleats - so I have 4 types of fields covered.  Must as I like to dream, I will not be playing the AFC championship.

Yes their equipment manager should have been fired on the spot and the brain trust of Jets organization back then should have known the field would have been a mess. Hence proper cleats would have travelled to miami. Remember it was 82 not now. Was a Dick Genious move by Shula that worked.. and yes Jets should have been prepared for anything

53 minutes ago, Jets0712 said:

Yes their equipment manager should have been fired on the spot and the brain trust of Jets organization back then should have known the field would have been a mess. Hence proper cleats would have travelled to miami. Remember it was 82 not now. Was a Dick Genious move by Shula that worked.. and yes Jets should have been prepared for anything

I was a junior in high school and I traveled with 3 pair.  They didn't know it was raining when the got to the walk around?  Herman's wasn't open on Sundays?

4 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Belichick did the same thing in the early-mid 00s.  The field didn't win or lose that game, it's an excuse.  Miami beat us 3 times that year whether on good or bad fields.  They were better.

You really don't understand the game of you're going to keep repeating this.  The field had a HUGE impact on the game.  You should watch it someday

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jets0712 said:

It was all about proper foot wear for THAT game. Miami had the proper cleats for THAT game. That was the purpose. The JETS as the road team. Did not bring their mudders with them. Had there regular cleats as if they were going to play on a dry field. BIG advantage fish.

That's not true.  It was all about the Jets being a fast team, with a slashing, cutting attack that couldn't run their offense on that field.  That dolphin team was plodding, even their running game was a FB attack.

I read a report mid week that it was pouring and the field want covered for "some reason".  Then their was the underground drainage system that they "forgot" to turn on. 

Shula and the fins cheated, plain and simple.  No matter who wants to argue there want a reason and advantage for the fins

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, nyjunc said:

No, that makes one who understands it and the rest just making pathetic excuses

To keep telling yourself that.  Your as wrong a can be and too stubborn to admit it.

And as predicted you insist you're right while being dead wrong.

• Upvote 1

On 7/7/2019 at 8:43 PM, Blackout said:

The 98 Jets had a lot of firepower

The 72 team was great until December rolled around 

1986 until all the injuries hit. Jets were dominant that year and if healthy would have beaten the Giants in SB.