What was the best offensive Jets team of all time?

4 hours ago, rammagen said:

we disagree because rules are rules that field by definition of the nfl rules should have been covered. End of story what happened before does not matter dry or wet because in those games rules were followed. or are rules only good for certain people and certain times? there are no excuses for not following the nfl rules? what if someone was hurt and it ended their career?. 

https://www.nytimes.com/1983/01/24/sports/no-excuse-for-missing-tarpaulin.html

Football players need to be prepared to play in any conditions.  Miami did a better job that day.

3 hours ago, Eaton Beaver said:

Hey man, take all your bs stats and stop the hating. Who do you actually root for in the NFL. You see nothing objectively and if you think the tarp issue in the Championship game didn't matter, then there is something wrong with you.

giphy.gif

Yeah, I'm a jet fan not accepting excuses for that loss but I don't see anything objectively (or "nothing objectively" as you call it).

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

You really don't understand the game of you're going to keep repeating this.  The field had a HUGE impact on the game.  You should watch it someday

I understand we faced Miami three times that year and lost all three times.  I understand their offense was performing at a higher level than our offense heading into that game and they were the hotter team.  I also understand that the elements are part of football and you need to be prepared to play in any weather imaginable.  There were numerous games in that era or earlier played in conditions similar or worse but I'm supposed to believe the field was why we lost and it had nothing to do with the performance of our players.

Yeah, I need to understand the game ????

8 hours ago, Jetster said:

I had never been so mad ? when my friends told me about the field conditions when I walked in case of beer in hand. Then I looked at the TV & saw them squeegying the field & it looked terrible & commented right away, "f*cking Shula left the field exposed to slow down the Jets". 

That was criminal & the Jets would have kicked the Redskins azzes in the Super Bowl. All the Fins had to do was slow down Riggins & they couldn't. Jets would have scored over 30 vs that Skins team.

Washington lost one game all year, they only allowed 30 points in a game one time all year (and won that game).  In 3 playoff games our O averaged 18 PPG but we were not only guaranteed to beat them but would have scored 30+?

4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

The Favre trade was the right move.  Chad was a crap qb who was at best an ok game manager we would have been one and done in the playoffs.  Clemens was hot garbage 

That crap QB took a team that won ONE game in 2007 and led them to 11 wins and a division title in 2008 with half the talent favre had around him with us when he could only lead us to 9 wins.

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

That's not true.  It was all about the Jets being a fast team, with a slashing, cutting attack that couldn't run their offense on that field.  That dolphin team was plodding, even their running game was a FB attack.

I read a report mid week that it was pouring and the field want covered for "some reason".  Then their was the underground drainage system that they "forgot" to turn on. 

Shula and the fins cheated, plain and simple.  No matter who wants to argue there want a reason and advantage for the fins

On a good field the week before the Jets only scored 17 and this was with forcing 5 raider turnovers but yeah we only lost because the field wasn't covered ?

• Thumb Down 1

5 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

That crap QB took a team that won ONE game in 2007 and led them to 11 wins and a division title in 2008 with half the talent favre had around him with us when he could only lead us to 9 wins.

On a good field the week before the Jets only scored 17 and this was with forcing 5 raider turnovers but yeah we only lost because the field wasn't covered ?

They won IN OAKLAND! In the playoffs. That was coming from the east coast. Slogging around in the mud was definitely not the way their story should have ended.

38 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Football players need to be prepared to play in any conditions.  Miami did a better job that day.

Yeah, I'm a jet fan not accepting excuses for that loss but I don't see anything objectively (or "nothing objectively" as you call it).

I understand we faced Miami three times that year and lost all three times.  I understand their offense was performing at a higher level than our offense heading into that game and they were the hotter team.  I also understand that the elements are part of football and you need to be prepared to play in any weather imaginable.  There were numerous games in that era or earlier played in conditions similar or worse but I'm supposed to believe the field was why we lost and it had nothing to do with the performance of our players.

I also understand rules are rules win lose or draw. Which you seem to be missing my point. Yes I am a Jet fan also, but who expects the rules for the NFL to apply for everyone. You are hooked on the outcome, Did I use this as an excuse I said what is the best way to slow down an offense that is let it rain and not cover the field as the NFL Rules stipulate the field should have been covered...pretty simple. So put me on ignore we disagree get over it.

Football players expect to play in all conditions,, yes but then why have rules on the surface of the field, why not put cut glass out there on the field. Rules are rules pretty freaking simple. The rules are in place to protect the players and to make sure the competition is even for both teams. The Jets had a faster team playing the mud favored Miami pretty simple point of cheating. The fins beat the the Jets 3 times that yr do you think if the field was covered or cared for properly it would have been three times? do you know how hard that is to occur to beat a team 3x in  a yr without bending the rules? this is akin to the snowblower game in NE it caused an competitive advantage.

You disagree big deal you are not going to convince other people of your point when the evidence points pretty much to the opposite of what you are saying. 

To Me rules are rules if there is rule you follow it. If not you get fined and punished for it. Like spy-gate and deflate-gate. Those are rules that were violated, in this case the NFL let the ball drop and should have fined and punished the fins for it.

https://operations.nfl.com/the-game/gameday-behind-the-scenes/nfl-field-certification/

In your raiders game example you forget to post about the almost 400 yards of offense thy had. You mention the fumbles and the score but not the simple fact they had 391 yards of offense. dont you think a bad field would limit that?

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

They won IN OAKLAND! In the playoffs. That was coming from the east coast. Slogging around in the mud was definitely not the way their story should have ended.

Actually it was Los Angeles and if the story was going to have a different ending they needed to play better. They didn't, they went 0-3 against Miami that season.  

The real complaint was about the blown fumble call.  Miami fumbled, the Jets recovered and they gave it back to Miami. Miami then scored their only offensive points to finish that drive.  That's the real controversy but either way Miami earned the win and it's been almost 40 years so I think it's time to stop whining.

Just now, rammagen said:

I also understand rules are rules win lose or draw. Which you seem to be missing my point. Yes I am a Jet fan also, but who expects the rules for the NFL to apply for everyone. You are hooked on the outcome, Did I use this as an excuse I said what is the best way to slow down an offense that is let it rain and not cover the field as the NFL Rules stipulate the field should have been covered...pretty simple. So put me on ignore we disagree get over it.

I don't put anyone on ignore, I like debating.  Don't take it personal when I disagree with you.  The second and third paragraphs you quoted were replies to other posters.

7 hours ago, nyjunc said:

You are a tool when you get like this.

You have no football acumen on any level, you have no place making fun of others.  

But hey, once again everyone will tell you that youre wrong and youll come back time after time telling everyone that theyre wrong and you know more than them  

All while proving the opposite

7 hours ago, nyjunc said:

On what F'ing level does what they did against the Raiders have to do with a playoff game in Miami?

Is there an actual point youre trying to make?  Hey, against the Pats that year the fins scored 7, OMG.  And the Saints, 6.  SO?  LOL

You know whats off the wall?  That youre little head cant get that the wet, slow, sloppy field iced the game for Miami.  And your going to argue that the Jets had no chance, field or no field.  Because youre incapable of sticking to one subject.  Someone says A, you say B.  Then intro C.  Answer C youre onto D.  etc, etc.  

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You have no football acumen on any level, you have no place making fun of others.  

But hey, once again everyone will tell you that youre wrong and youll come back time after time telling everyone that theyre wrong and you know more than them  

Ouch. 

17 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

On what F'ing level does what they did against the Raiders have to do with a playoff game in Miami?

Is there an actual point youre trying to make?  Hey, against the Pats that year the fins scored 7, OMG.  And the Saints, 6.  SO?  LOL

You know whats off the wall?  That youre little head cant get that the wet, slow, sloppy field iced the game for Miami.  And your going to argue that the Jets had no chance, field or no field.  Because youre incapable of sticking to one subject.  Someone says A, you say B.  Then intro C.  Answer C youre onto D.  etc, etc.  

I’ve finally realized debating this a-hole is fruitless. 

He’s clueless, doesn’t understand football or different eras of the NFL, never saw most any of the football games or players he’s arguing about and believes his faulty opinions are fact. 

He’s delusional. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

I’ve finally realized debating this a-hole is fruitless. 

He’s clueless, doesn’t understand football or different eras of the NFL, never saw most any of the football games or players he’s arguing about and believes his faulty opinions are fact. 

He’s delusional. 

You have to realize who youre dealing with.  He began his internet life as a Jet fan who trolled the hell out of finheaven.com.   He went to TGG, where they still about him today, talk about how bad a poster he was.  Permabanned at both sites.   

He has a knack to say the least

14 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Washington lost one game all year, they only allowed 30 points in a game one time all year (and won that game).  In 3 playoff games our O averaged 18 PPG but we were not only guaranteed to beat them but would have scored 30+?

There was no way the Redskins running game would work vs that Jets Dline. Jets matched up very well against that Redskin team.

3 hours ago, NYJ1 said:

I would day 1986. That team had Walker, Toon, Shuler, McNeil, O'Brien, and Brad Baxter for short yardage. For a while that season they were a juggernaut.

That team was 10-1 before a rash of injuries on defense. 

8 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I don't need to tell you that you are wrong, I know that you are wrong.  You can keep insulting me all you want, the teams played on the same field.  The teams played 3 times and the same team won each time but please keep insulting me and making excuses for the team.

8 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

The point was about the keys O being great on a good field and also being hot.  The dolphins O was much hotter and they did what they needed to do in that slop by scoring 1 TD while we could not.

I never said the Jets didn't have a chance, they had a great chance.  The exact same chance as Miami but they didn't play as well.  Sorry that the truth bothers you.  

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

There was no way the Redskins running game would work vs that Jets Dline. Jets matched up very well against that Redskin team.

The Jets gave up 210, 120 & 138 to Miami who didn't have John Riggins.  What makes you think we were guaranteed to shut their run game down?  The strength of that D was rushing the passer. We may have beat Washington but to act like it was a gimme is not being fair.

16 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Actually it was Los Angeles and if the story was going to have a different ending they needed to play better. They didn't, they went 0-3 against Miami that season.  

The real complaint was about the blown fumble call.  Miami fumbled, the Jets recovered and they gave it back to Miami. Miami then scored their only offensive points to finish that drive.  That's the real controversy but either way Miami earned the win and it's been almost 40 years so I think it's time to stop whining.

The Jets opened the season at Shea against Miami and got blown out. The game the Jets should have won against the Dolphins was the December game in Miami.  Bobby Jackson had the game ending interception in his hands and dropped the ball. The last game of the season the Jets played awful against a bad Chiefs team thus ensuring they would be on the road in the playoffs. Had they not blown that 2nd Dolphins game the championship game would have been at Shea and the mud bowl would not have happened. They have themselves to blame.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

The Jets opened the season at Shea against Miami and got blown out. The game the Jets should have won against the Dolphins was the December game in Miami.  Bobby Jackson had the game ending interception in his hands and dropped the ball. The last game of the season the Jets played awful against a bad Chiefs team thus ensuring they would be on the road in the playoffs. Had they not blown that 2nd Dolphins game the championship game would have been at Shea and the mud bowl would not have happened. They have themselves to blame.

Thank you.  

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

The point was about the keys O being great on a good field and also being hot.  The dolphins O was much hotter and they did what they needed to do in that slop by scoring 1 TD while we could not.

I never said the Jets didn't have a chance, they had a great chance.  The exact same chance as Miami but they didn't play as well.  Sorry that the truth bothers you.  

The point about what the jets did against the Raiders is pure nyjunc smokescreen.  Had nothing more to do with a playoff game later than it does on this years Jets Raiders game.

If you think the field effected the two teams equally, that it didn't have more of an effect on the speedier, skill position players of that Jets team you just don't understand the game.   You are as wrong as wrong can be but as I said you will never stop.  You can't h lpmyourself, its like you enjoy being dead wrong and fighting anyone who won't change their minds.  I'm not, others won't.  Because there isn't even a hint of a debate, you're wrong.  

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

The point about what the jets did against the Raiders is pure nyjunc smokescreen.  Had nothing more to do with a playoff game later than it does on this years Jets Raiders game.

If you think the field effected the two teams equally, that it didn't have more of an effect on the speedier, skill position players of that Jets team you just don't understand the game.   You are as wrong as wrong can be but as I said you will never stop.  You can't h lpmyourself, its like you enjoy being dead wrong and fighting anyone who won't change their minds.  I'm not, others won't.  Because there isn't even a hint of a debate, you're wrong.  

Life isn't always fair, Miami swept us and finished ahead of us.  They earned homefield advantage (unlike the SB champion Jets vs Oakland in 1968 by the way).  Did it hurt us more? Maybe but to be great sometimes you have to overcome obstacles, they couldn't do it.  They had the same chance to win that Miami had, Miami played better and earned the W.  I wish there field was perfect and we won, I also wish we won in the slop- I just wish we won but it's ridiculous to be whining about this almost 40 years later and to act like we were a lock to win if the field was perfect.

You are good at hurling insults, good at telling me I'm wrong but not so good with presenting an intelligent argument to back up your claims. 

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Life isn't always fair, Miami swept us and finished ahead of us.  They earned homefield advantage (unlike the SB champion Jets vs Oakland in 1968 by the way).  Did it hurt us more? Maybe but to be great sometimes you have to overcome obstacles, they couldn't do it.  They had the same chance to win that Miami had, Miami played better and earned the W.  I wish there field was perfect and we won, I also wish we won in the slop- I just wish we won but it's ridiculous to be whining about this almost 40 years later and to act like we were a lock to win if the field was perfect.

You are good at hurling insults, good at telling me I'm wrong but not so good with presenting an intelligent argument to back up your claims. 

Because youre dead wrong, totally, 100% wrong.  Not even debatable.  The field hurt the Jets, helped even up their chances, eliminating the Jet skill position players.

The list of reasons have been listed before, too. Many times.  You either refuse to follow along or cant.

Also explain why Shula would order the tarp off for most of that rainy week to muddy the

field?  Why did he have the grounds crew leave the drain system off? 
No insults Mary, facts and correct comment that you will keep coming back.

I even mentioned your stupid argiment about the Jets toad to the SB.  Too predictable

On 7/9/2019 at 2:55 PM, nyjunc said:

1.  Nothing could be more lame to include the disputed game as one of the wins

2.  Last time because your a fool to keep arguing.  We had a passing offense, with two fast RBs who relied on cut back abiliy and speed.  Our WRs were speed guys. They had a running QB in Woodly, who sucked and barely threw for over 1000 yards and 5 TDs, none to a WR.  Their big offensive weapon was their FB who led hem with under 800 yards.  But wai, hey we're ROLLING.  LOL

So yes, you don know he game, have no understanding of that Jet or fin team.   Fintheavon got to you.  You sound like dolfag fan.  Not some who has a f'n clue of the game or Jets

Done, you haven made a poin, so bye.

Of course like which on a shoe you wont go away

15 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

1.  Nothing could be more lame to include the disputed game as one of the wins

2.  Last time because your a fool to keep arguing.  We had a passing offense, with two fast RBs who relied on cut back abiliy and speed.  Our WRs were speed guys. They had a running QB in Woodly, who sucked and barely threw for over 1000 yards and 5 TDs, none to a WR.  Their big offensive weapon was their FB who led hem with under 800 yards.  But wai, hey we're ROLLING.  LOL

So yes, you don know he game, have no understanding of that Jet or fin team.   Fintheavon got to you.  You sound like dolfag fan.  Not some who has a f'n clue of the game or Jets

Done, you haven made a poin, so bye.

Of course like which on a shoe you wont go away

You replied to me twice since I last replied.  Please don't complain about my replies to correct your misinformation.

You can bash Miami's offense all you want but they were playing much better than our O.

Last 5 games before AFC championship game:

Jets O averaged 22.8 PPG with 3 of the 5 scoring less than 20 points.

Miami O averaged 28.6 PPG and never scored less than 20. 

Which was better?  

You can hurl all the insults you want, or doesn't help your argument.  Did we have the better O?  Yes but that guarantees nothing and they beat us THREE times whether on good fields or bad.  Their team played better than our team.  Was it an advantage to them to play in the slop? Maybe but that didn't prevent us from winning.  You can keep making all the excuses you want, the better team won that day.

9 hours ago, nyjunc said:

The Jets gave up 210, 120 & 138 to Miami who didn't have John Riggins.  What makes you think we were guaranteed to shut their run game down?  The strength of that D was rushing the passer. We may have beat Washington but to act like it was a gimme is not being fair.

And in 1968 the Colts had the number 1 D and the number 2 O. They lost just 1 game all season and lost to the Jets 16-7. Each game is different there are no guarantee's in sports..

• Upvote 2

The '68 offense is #1 all-time. Two HOFers in Namath and Maynard, with what should be a third in Winston Hill. Terrific balance with the WRs consisting of Maynard, Sauer, and Bake Turner and the RBs of Snell, Boozer, and Bill Mathis.

Add in a tremendous OL that was made better with the acquisition of Bob Talamini at OG, that Jets offense had it all.

For me, the most clutch drive for a NYJ offense in their history was the AFL championship game that year. Down 23-20 with under 8 minutes left in the game, and in conditions that were brutal; in 3 passes, Namath drive them down for what eventually became the winning TD pass to Maynard.

The second pass in that drive is still one of the most amazing throws I've seen, 50+ yards into a 25-30 MPH wind, and dropping a dime to Maynard.

As talented as the Jet offenses were in the 85-86 seasons, give me the '68 Jets any day of the week.

• Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, 7561526667 said:

The '68 offense is #1 all-time. Two HOFers in Namath and Maynard, with what should be a third in Winston Hill. Terrific balance with the WRs consisting of Maynard, Sauer, and Bake Turner and the RBs of Snell, Boozer, and Bill Mathis.

Add in a tremendous OL that was made better with the acquisition of Bob Talamini at OG, that Jets offense had it all.

For me, the most clutch drive for a NYJ offense in their history was the AFL championship game that year. Down 23-20 with under 8 minutes left in the game, and in conditions that were brutal; in 3 passes, Namath drive them down for what eventually became the winning TD pass to Maynard.

The second pass in that drive is still one of the most amazing throws I've seen, 50+ yards into a 25-30 MPH wind, and dropping a dime to Maynard.

As talented as the Jet offenses were in the 85-86 seasons, give me the '68 Jets any day of the week.

Namath 3000+ yards passing

Maynard and Sauer both 1000+ yards receiving

Snell 700+ yards rushing 

Lammons and Boozer for additional production 

14 game season 

Best

rather than start a new thread...

Barnwell ranks our O roster as 20/32 (ESPN)

20. New York Jets

2018 rank: No. 32 | 2017: No. 32

In handing out that 32nd-placed ranking a year ago, I wrote that the Jets would be investing in skill-position talent during the 2019 offseason. It was always easy to link them with Le'Veon Bell, and when a market didn't really form for the Steelers star, the two came together. Bell is a massive upgrade on Isaiah Crowell, whose gaudy 4.8 yards per carry mark belied the league's second-worst Success Rate. Bell's efficiency as a runner and ability as a receiver should keep Sam Darnold out of third-and-long, which is a victory in itself.

The biggest concern with Bell has always been availability, given that he missed two Steelers playoff runs with injuries and has already been suspended twice. He's not the only one. Quincy Enunwa has missed 22 games over the last two seasons with neck and ankle injuries. Robby Anderson was out for two games and slowed for others in 2018 with his own ankle ailment. Jamison Crowdermissed seven games a year ago with, you'll never guess, an ankle injury. Bilal Powell, competing as a change-of-pace back, is coming off of a serious neck injury. There's plenty of promise here, but it's tough to imagine everyone staying on the field through December.