Jets Film Breakdown: Adam Gase’s Play Calling

Utilizing the Sideline

Gase loves throwing outside the numbers. The Dolphins threw to the left or right 1,172 times since he took over in 2016. Whether it’s a check-down flat route, an out route, a flag route, or a comeback route, you can expect a good amount of it from Gase.

Checkdowns

Yeah, this sounds pretty lame. Gase likes using underneath routes. You’ll see a lot of screens, flat routes, short out routes, and slant routes in his offense. The Dolphins have ran the fourth least deep passing plays since 2016. They average 6.41 yards/play on short passes under his coaching, which ranks 13th in the NFL over that time span.

Take this drive for example. He marched all the way down the field into field goal range to open up a game. The furthest Ryan Tannehill threw the ball was five yards to Devante Parker on a slant route. He still managed to get into field goal range before the drive got killed by a sack.

But wait! There’s an exciting factor to this. Look at this drive later in the first half. He called checkdown after checkdown after checkdown, along with a couple of runs in the mix, and got into striking distance. Then, the defense grew impatient, stacked the box, and Gase capitalized quickly. This was perfect execution by Gase and his offense. Textbook play calling.

Late Game Play Calling

The Chargers and Dolphins were battling it out in this game, and it came down to the end. The Dolphins defense secured an interception while the Chargers were just two yards out of the endzone to give Miami the football back with the lead in the fourth quarter. Gase’s offensive response? Shaky at best.

He started the drive off with a run call, where Jay Ajayi tripped over his own lineman’s foot. Gase dumped the run, and went into shotgun on 2nd and 11. He tried getting a receiver open on an out route right along the sideline. You have to keep the clock running in this situation. With the lead in a tight game, your number one priority has to be giving the Chargers offense as little time as possible.

Gase went back into passing formation on 3rd and 11 and tried a halfback screen. The play got blown up, and Tannehill very nearly got picked. The Dolphins went backwards one yard, and failed to even take two minutes off the clock. We’ve seen enough atrocious game management from Todd Bowles. This can’t happen in New York.

Sending Running Backs Out Wide

This is something that Gase likes to pull out of his sleeve two or three times a game. Against the Chargers, he sent Damien WIlliams out wide multiple times in a spread formation. Gase uses tries to create mismatches on the perimeter, which worked very well that game. He got the mismatch he wanted, and Miami scored a touchdown on a pass Williams. He beat the Chargers linebacker and secured the touchdown for the Fins.

Recap

Gase’s offense may not be the most exciting offense we’ll get to see next year, but it has proven to be productive when he’s given weapons to work with. He knows when to lay back, and when to attack. It might not be as explosive as Jets fans hope it’ll be, but it’ll be one of the more productive schemes we’ve seen in New York in recent memory. Time will tell if Sam Darnold and co. benefit from Gase’s presence.

https://fullpresscoverage.com/2019/01/11/jets-film-breakdown-adam-gases-play-calling/ 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Least amount of receptions since his rookie season but he did best his TD's and YPC by 1 on each.  Maybe a wash.

Anyone else?  lol

Always hurt, guy has a great catch %

You can argue the phins offense has no play makers to put up crazy stats. When Landry was there, he put up killer numbers and made the pro bowl all 3 years.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

It doesn't look to me like Gase called any of those check downs but did have them available to Tannehill. 

Many of them in fact seem to be improper reads. 

One of Tannehill's biggest flaw's are his inalienability to read defensive plays and pick the correct read. Huge reason I think Darnold should be a huge upgrade in this offensive system. 

Just now, Rsherman28 said:

Always hurt, guy has a great catch %

You can argue the phins offense has no play makers to put up crazy stats. When Landry was there, he put up killer numbers and made the pro bowl all 3 years.

No progression from Joe Philbin at all.  In fact, it was regression.  Philbin had a Tannehill led offense 11th in the league in scoring.  Landy was putting up killer numbers before Gase.  They had plenty of playmakers, Gase just hated them all. 

Look, dude has won me over since he's got here.  I was very anti the hire.  I just still have some concerns.  This one of them.  The idea that he's a genius in something that he's statistically been a disaster at, is just very hard for me to accept.  Apparently, the only player to benefit from Gase tutelage is Peyton Manning.  Otherwise, there isnt a single example of anyone excelling beyond their standard performance under Gase.

Hopefully that changes here. 

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, JiF said:

No progression from Joe Philbin at all.  In fact, it was regression.  Philbin had a Tannehill led offense 11th in the league in scoring.  Landy was putting up killer numbers before Gase.  They had plenty of playmakers, Gase just hated them all. 

Look, dude has won me over since he's got here.  I was very anti the hire.  I just still have some concerns.  This one of them.  The idea that he's a genius in something that he's statistically been a disaster at, is just very hard for me to accept.  Apparently, the only player to benefit from Gase tutelage is Peyton Manning.  Otherwise, there isnt a single example of anyone excelling beyond their standard performance under Gase.

Hopefully that changes here. 

Jay Ajayi?  I don't agree that Landry regressed.  Kenny Stills certainly did much more under Gase than Philbin.  He probably he had his best years in Miami and considering he came from Payton/Brees that is impressive in itself.  

This breakdown is old.  It's from January.  I nearly had a heart attack when I read that this guy expected Eli McGuire in the Damien Williams role.  I thought something happened to Bell.  The Jets have at least three guys I would prefer there.

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Jay Ajayi?  I don't agree that Landry regressed.  Kenny Stills certainly did much more under Gase than Philbin.  He probably he had his best years in Miami and considering he came from Payton/Brees that is impressive in itself.  

This breakdown is old.  It's from January.  I nearly had a heart attack when I read that this guy expected Eli McGuire in the Damien Williams role.  I thought something happened to Bell.  The Jets have at least three guys I would prefer there.

Ajayi is a good example I guess.  I mean, he did trade him to the eventual Super Bowl champs and before he got hurt was actually better in Philly but ok.  

Stills was pretty much the same dude, no?  I mean, I guess he caught more TD's but that's also probably got a little bit to do with the systems from team to team, no?  New Orleans had a lot of dudes who could score.  His yards per and catch % went down in Miami.   His most receptions and yards was in NO.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, JiF said:

Ajayi is a good example I guess.  I mean, he did trade him to the eventual Super Bowl champs and before he got hurt was actually better in Philly but ok.  

Stills was pretty much the same dude, no?  I mean, I guess he caught more TD's but that's also probably got a little bit to do with the systems from team to team, no?  New Orleans had a lot of dudes who could score.  His yards per and catch % went down in Miami.   His most receptions and yards was in NO.

Yeah.   I thought Stills best year(s) were in Miami.  I didn't realize that he had so many yards in 2014, I was just thinking of his high scoring year in 2016.  I don't think there are any real smoking gun, guys who did better under Gase, but I don't think guys doing similarly in NO or Philly are an issue.  When they do better under Philbin is where you get concerned.  

2 hours ago, Rsherman28 said:

Utilizing the Sideline

Gase loves throwing outside the numbers. The Dolphins threw to the left or right 1,172 times since he took over in 2016. Whether it’s a check-down flat route, an out route, a flag route, or a comeback route, you can expect a good amount of it from Gase.

Checkdowns

Yeah, this sounds pretty lame. Gase likes using underneath routes. You’ll see a lot of screens, flat routes, short out routes, and slant routes in his offense. The Dolphins have ran the fourth least deep passing plays since 2016. They average 6.41 yards/play on short passes under his coaching, which ranks 13th in the NFL over that time span.

Take this drive for example. He marched all the way down the field into field goal range to open up a game. The furthest Ryan Tannehill threw the ball was five yards to Devante Parker on a slant route. He still managed to get into field goal range before the drive got killed by a sack.

But wait! There’s an exciting factor to this. Look at this drive later in the first half. He called checkdown after checkdown after checkdown, along with a couple of runs in the mix, and got into striking distance. Then, the defense grew impatient, stacked the box, and Gase capitalized quickly. This was perfect execution by Gase and his offense. Textbook play calling.

Late Game Play Calling

The Chargers and Dolphins were battling it out in this game, and it came down to the end. The Dolphins defense secured an interception while the Chargers were just two yards out of the endzone to give Miami the football back with the lead in the fourth quarter. Gase’s offensive response? Shaky at best.

He started the drive off with a run call, where Jay Ajayi tripped over his own lineman’s foot. Gase dumped the run, and went into shotgun on 2nd and 11. He tried getting a receiver open on an out route right along the sideline. You have to keep the clock running in this situation. With the lead in a tight game, your number one priority has to be giving the Chargers offense as little time as possible.

Gase went back into passing formation on 3rd and 11 and tried a halfback screen. The play got blown up, and Tannehill very nearly got picked. The Dolphins went backwards one yard, and failed to even take two minutes off the clock. We’ve seen enough atrocious game management from Todd Bowles. This can’t happen in New York.

Sending Running Backs Out Wide

This is something that Gase likes to pull out of his sleeve two or three times a game. Against the Chargers, he sent Damien WIlliams out wide multiple times in a spread formation. Gase uses tries to create mismatches on the perimeter, which worked very well that game. He got the mismatch he wanted, and Miami scored a touchdown on a pass Williams. He beat the Chargers linebacker and secured the touchdown for the Fins.

Recap

Gase’s offense may not be the most exciting offense we’ll get to see next year, but it has proven to be productive when he’s given weapons to work with. He knows when to lay back, and when to attack. It might not be as explosive as Jets fans hope it’ll be, but it’ll be one of the more productive schemes we’ve seen in New York in recent memory. Time will tell if Sam Darnold and co. benefit from Gase’s presence.

https://fullpresscoverage.com/2019/01/11/jets-film-breakdown-adam-gases-play-calling/ 

Honestly just the idea we have a game plan that can adapt to what an opposing def is doing is exciting. Good to be a jets fan this year

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Least amount of receptions since his rookie season but he did best his TD's and YPC by 1 on each.  Maybe a wash.

Anyone else?  lol

I believe it to be Albert Wilson also.  He only played 7 games before injury.  He had 4 long TD receptions of;  29, 43, 74, and 75 yards.

Gase was finding ways to spring Wilson for big plays in an offense forced to play games with backup QBs, and that lacked the talent to sustain drives.

That is a great example of what you what in an offensive coach.  

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

I believe it to be Albert Wilson also.  He only played 7 games before injury.  He had 4 long TD receptions of;  29, 43, 74, and 75 yards.

Gase was finding ways to spring Wilson for big plays in an offense forced to play games with backup QBs, and that lacked the talent to sustain drives.

I didnt realize he had only played 7 games.  That is a good example.  @Rsherman28   When you break down his game logs, he was clearly someone Gase was trying to get involved.  Which is nice to hear since we were struggling to find an example.  

• Upvote 1

Thanks for this analysis on Gase's offense. Now we know why his offense didn't rank higher than 26th his 3 years there. 31st in the league last year. Too many plays to get the ball in scoring territory. The more offensive plays you run, the more chance for a critical mistake, or penalty.

7 minutes ago, genot said:

Thanks for this analysis on Gase's offense. Now we know why his offense didn't rank higher than 26th his 3 years there. 31st in the league last year. Too many plays to get the ball in scoring territory. The more offensive plays you run, the more chance for a critical mistake, or penalty.

I think a short passing game offense allows you to go deep to guys like Stills, Wilson and hopefully Anderson a few times per game.  Hopefully for scores.  There also is the factor that Tannehill was known as a Checkdown Charlie from college.  There is a pretty good likelihood that Tannehill was throwing to safety valves when he could have been hitting deeper routes. @Rsherman28 and @NYs Stepchild said as much earlier in the thread.

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think a short passing game offense allows you to go deep to guys like Stills, Wilson and hopefully Anderson a few times per game.  Hopefully for scores.  There also is the factor that Tannehill was known as a Checkdown Charlie from college.  There is a pretty good likelihood that Tannehill was throwing to safety valves when he could have been hitting deeper routes. @Rsherman28 and @NYs Stepchild said as much earlier in the thread.

I hope your right. If you don't utilize Anderson's deep threat ability, and even Herndon's ability to get open downfield your not going too make the most out of your playmaker's ability. That was Landry's complaint with Gase, and if you look at what he did last year in Cleveland, he could have a point

48 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Didn't Wilson go berzerk against the Bears last year?

I don’t know. I just don’t friggin know how Gase is gonna play it. Attack their weaknesses. Do what they don’t want u to do. Mix it up. Do what Darnold is good at. Anything is better than our 1st drives of the game last season but I just don’t know!

16 hours ago, genot said:

I hope your right. If you don't utilize Anderson's deep threat ability, and even Herndon's ability to get open downfield your not going too make the most out of your playmaker's ability. That was Landry's complaint with Gase, and if you look at what he did last year in Cleveland, he could have a point

I think Landry's complaint was that he didn't use Landry's ability to get open downfield.  Landry is kind of a slug, while Stills, Wilson, and to a lesser extent Parker are burners.  Stills had 5 TDs over 50 yards and 14 over 20 since Gase got there.  Those weren't all slants and run. 

16 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think Landry's complaint was that he didn't use Landry's ability to get open downfield.  Landry is kind of a slug, while Stills, Wilson, and to a lesser extent Parker are burners.  Stills had 5 TDs over 50 yards and 14 over 20 since Gase got there.  Those weren't all slants and run. 

I would have compromised a little and played more of landry on the outside. What you said is true about the speed factor of those other players. Their production was no where near that of landry's. Clearly their best receiver. throw him a bone and play him some on the outside. It wasn't like the dolphins were lighting up the scoreboard, sticking to the status quo.

It's crazy to say this but the 2019 Jets will likely have the best set of pass-catchers Gase has ever had the chance to coach.  And yes, I'm including the years in Chicago and with Denver despite having a better "Top 2" at times with guys like Demaryius Thomas, Decker, etc.  I just think that while Robby Anderson, Enunwa and a promising TE in Herndon are going to be better than average the real talent lies in Bell and Crowder.  Those two guys are simply elite pass catchers at their positions and if Gase sets up his offense for underneath stuff and check downs (even as the 3rd or 4th read) then you couldn't ask for two better guys at RB and the Slot WR.

• Upvote 3

What’s also not considered is the god awful QB’s he’s had, and having to patchwork play out of them:-

Ryan Tannehill back up to Marcus Mariota!

Matt Moore, free agent

Jay Cutler, Retired

Brock Osweiler, free agent

Hard to make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t.

I think Sam is going to be very good at least. Darnold will give him more passing options than Tannehill, simply because he’s just a better QB.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

It's crazy to say this but the 2019 Jets will likely have the best set of pass-cRaatchers Gase has ever had the chance to coach.  And yes, I'm including the years in Chicago and with Denver despite having a better "Top 2" at times with guys like Demaryius Thomas, Decker, etc.  I just think that while Robby Anderson, Enunwa and a promising TE in Herndon are going to be better than average the real talent lies in Bell and Crowder.  Those two guys are simply elite pass catchers at their positions and if Gase sets up his offense for underneath stuff and check downs (even as the 3rd or 4th read) then you couldn't ask for two better guys at RB and the Slot WR.

Really?  I think it is crazy to say that.  Thomas, Thomas, Decker and Welker?  I don't think there is any question that is better than what the Jets have now.  Add in Emmanuel Sanders and I don't see how anyone can ever dream of the Jets group being better.  We are talking up guys like Greg Dortch and Deontay Burnett.  Sure the guy turned out to be a squid, but the Broncos added Latimer during his tour. 

He Chicago group sucked.  Bunch of injuries.  Jeffery, Eddie Royal, Cam Meredith.  I think his Dolphins guys were probably better than what he has here.  At least early on while Landry was there.  Stills and DeVante Parker are as good as anything we trot out there.  Martellus Bennett and Julius Thomas are what we hope Herndon becomes. 

On 7/9/2019 at 3:00 PM, Barry McCockinner said:

One thing I thought Darnold did exceptionally well was throw outside the hashes and to the sidelines last year. I have no stats to back that up, I just remember him hitting a lot of passes like that where it was kind of a wow moment. If this is really something Gase relies on it could be a nice pairing.

That TD to Herndon vs Chicago was like that. Lots of scrambling to the left/right, re-adjusting his body and throwing it on the mark and outside the hashes. He’s definitely good at it and that should help. I seen him consistently put it where no one else can get it. Ball just had too much zip on it for a corner to react. 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

That TD to Herndon vs Chicago was like that. Lots of scrambling to the left/right, re-adjusting his body and throwing it on the mark and outside the hashes. He’s definitely good at it and that should help. I seen him consistently put it where no one else can get it. Ball just had too much zip on it for a corner to react. 

Reminds me of the famous touchdown he had against Buffalo, scrambling right then back left and hitting Anderson for the touchdown.

The placement on that ball was outstanding and to think Darnold made the adjustment throw on the run is even more impressive. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Really?  I think it is crazy to say that.  Thomas, Thomas, Decker and Welker?  I don't think there is any question that is better than what the Jets have now.  Add in Emmanuel Sanders and I don't see how anyone can ever dream of the Jets group being better.  We are talking up guys like Greg Dortch and Deontay Burnett.  Sure the guy turned out to be a squid, but the Broncos added Latimer during his tour. 

He Chicago group sucked.  Bunch of injuries.  Jeffery, Eddie Royal, Cam Meredith.  I think his Dolphins guys were probably better than what he has here.  At least early on while Landry was there.  Stills and DeVante Parker are as good as anything we trot out there.  Martellus Bennett and Julius Thomas are what we hope Herndon becomes. 

Fair opinion.  I forgot about the TE Thomas but I'd equate Welker pretty close to Crowder.  Crowder never played with Peyton Manning and Tom Brady like Welker did though.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Rsherman28 said:

Reminds me of the famous touchdown he had against Buffalo, scrambling right then back left and hitting Anderson for the touchdown.

The placement on that ball was outstanding and to think Darnold made the adjustment throw on the run is even more impressive. 

The reactionary skills he has to be able to re-adjust, on the fly, to the best position possible and throw an accurate pass is really something else..and something you can’t teach at that. Hopefully the OL keeps him from having to improvise all the time like it had him doing last year.

16 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

The reactionary skills he has to be able to re-adjust, on the fly, to the best position possible and throw an accurate pass is really something else..and something you can’t teach at that. Hopefully the OL keeps him from having to improvise all the time like it had him doing last year.

Man last year was tough to watch the OL. With the addition of Bell we should see a lot more play action and designed roll outs throwing outside of the numbers.