Andrew luck retires

NYallDay

6 minutes ago, MindOverMatter said:

If Darnold retires when he's 29 after getting the Jets to multiple playoff games and getting the ever living sh*t beat out of him due to the Jets not drafting Oline (even though i doubt thats the case with Douglas in charge) than I would have no ill feelings toward him.

I love how people are calling Luck all these negative things but are putting their own entertainment and misplaced morals over his health. Maybe the Colts shouldn't have been so awful at building a roster around Luck for the 5-6 years after he was drafted, than maybe he would be still willing to play for their sh*tty organization.

Stop the bs

Not why

But when

Nobody is upset about why

4 minutes ago, MCGAHEE2121 said:

Luck IS NOT INJURED

LUCKS PLAY IS NOT DIMINISHED

stop avoiding the issue. Theres a reason ppl are upset

Avoiding the issue? Ah, excuse me bro, I quoted you. How is that avoidance? 

And he is injured. 

Andrew Luck of the Colts Retires From the N.F.L. After Spate of Injuries

ImageOft injured Indianapolis Colts quarterback Andrew Luck is retiring after seven years in the league.
Oft injured Indianapolis Colts quarterback Andrew Luck is retiring after seven years in the league.CreditCreditMichael Conroy/Associated Press
  • Published Aug. 24, 2019Updated Aug. 25, 2019, 2:48 p.m. ET
    •  
    •  
    •  

Andrew Luck, a Pro Bowl quarterback and the face of the Indianapolis Colts, has decided to retire at 29 after a career defined by wins and injuries.

Luck sustained severe injuries throughout his career. He missed nine games in 2015 and the entire 2017 season. He was working his way back from a persistent ankle injury and had not appeared in any of the team’s preseason games, including one in progress on Saturday night when the news of his retirement first broke with reports by ESPN and the NFL Network.

Luck confirmed the reports at a postgame news conference. “I haven’t been able to live the life I want to live,” Luck said as he fought off tears. “It’s taken the joy out of this game. The only way forward for me is to remove myself from football and this cycle I’ve been in.”

Luck, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2012 draft, was an instant star for the Colts, helping offset the loss of Peyton Manning, another franchise icon, who was cut by the team after he had dealt with serious injuries of his own.

Or how about this article. 

Andrew Luck will miss another week of practice as he continues to rehab leg injuries

Jim Ayello  Indianapolis Star
Published 8:32 PM EDT Aug 20, 2019

INDIANAPOLIS -- Andrew Luck will not practice this week. Indianapolis Colts coach Frank Reich announced Tuesday afternoon that after missing almost all of training camp, the star quarterback will spend another week on the sidelines rehabbing his lingering ankle and calf injuries.

Full-speed movements and managing Luck’s pain threshold continue to be the biggest factors as the soon-to-be 30-year-old works his way back to the practice field.

5fa7f185-0d04-4587-bd74-7887d9f05691-ColtsBrowns_mk_40.jpg?width=1080&quality=50
Indianapolis Colts quarterback Jacoby Brissett (7) and quarterback Andrew Luck (12) in the first half of their preseason game at Lucas Oil Stadium on Saturday, August 17, 2019.
Matt Kryger/IndyStar

“Really all we have right now is a combination of full-speed movement and pain threshold,” Reich said. "It’s that combination of how much full speed and what level. It’s on a continuum, right? A continuum of speed and movement and a continuum of pain. So it’s that combination."

More Colts:

• Insider: Frank Reich using preseason to learn nuances of pass interference reviews
  • Colts bring in another former Chiefs RB to replace an injured D'Onta Foreman

When asked if Luck feels pain during activity, after or both, Reich declined to delve into details.

“At this point I’d really not talk about the pain and all the various things,” he said. “There’s just always those moving parts."

A few hours before Saturday's preseason game against the Cleveland Browns, Andrew Luck participated in some side-to-side footwork and throwing drills, displaying exactly the the type of mobility Chris Ballard said he needed to show in order to get back on the field. 

Despite Saturday's events, Luck remains slated to sit out the entire preseason while his Week 1 availability remains a question. Last Wednesday, Reich set a deadline for that determination, saying that team needs to know if Luck will play Week 1 by the conclusion of this weekend’s game against the Chicago Bears. 

Earlier this offseason, Reich also said that, ideally, his starting quarterback would participate in a full week of practice before playing in a game, which would mean a return at the beginning of September.

Ultimately, when Luck returns to the field will be largely up to him. While he’ll obviously need to be medically cleared, which has not yet happened, Reich said over the weekend that only Luck knows how much pain he’s in and that pain management is a relevant issue. 

“The pain threshold thing is not something to be ignored, right?” Reich said Sunday. “There’s the strength in the issue. We know he is doing everything possible there. The workouts on the field have been good both from getting work on fundamentals and technique but also strengthening it while you are on the field, but there is also the pain threshold thing. We have to figure that out the best way we can.”

With Luck sitting out this weekend's game against the Bears, backup quarterback Jacoby Brissett will once again get the start. He finished 8-of-100 for 100 yards and a touchdown during an impressive performance Saturday against the Browns. 

Following Tuesday's update on Luck, Reich discussed the status of several other key Colts, including rookie wide receiver Parris Campbell. 

The Ohio State product and second-round pick continues to nurse a hamstring injury that kept him out of the last 12 training camp practices. Reich said Campbell is making progress toward a return, though he was not ready to say if that would happen this week. 

“If you’re checking off steps, he checked off another step yesterday,” Reich said.

Staying on the offensive side of the ball, Reich deemed second-year running back Jordan Wilkins week-to-week with a foot injury but said he there's a chance Wilkins could be ready for Week 1. 

"It's still too early to tell that," Reich said. "But he's making good progress."

Because of injuries to Wilkins, Jonathan Williams (broken rib) and D'Onta Foreman (placed on IR with a torn bicep), the Colts have had to make multiple moves to beef up the running back room. 

The team signed free agent running back James Williams on Tuesday, a day after they added former Kansas Chief Charcandrick West and undrafted free agent Marquis Young. 

On the defensive side of the ball, Jabaal Sheard continues to miss practice after undergoing a knee procedure around the midway point of training camp. Like Wilkins, Reich said Sheard is making good progress in his rehabilitation but said it's too early to know if he'll be available Week 1 in California. 

Joining Luck, Campbell, Wilkins and Sheard in those not seen participating in the early portion of Tuesday's practice were Adam Vinatieri (knee) and linebacker Matthew Adams (injury not disclosed). 

21 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

So here's my opinion on this. I'm a guy who always takes the player's side. If a team decides to cut someone a week before the season, or mid way through it, they do it. It's the business. So if a player feels he's had enough, and retires, I don't care when it happens, that's his decision. I have no problem with Luck retiring yesterday.

That said, at first I wanted to argue the points you made in this thread, but you know what? I can't. Everything you've said about his career is true.

Now that I think about it, for whatever reason, I never feared playing Luck or the Colts. I never thought of him being on par with Brady, Rothlisberger, and some other guys. He was overrated, and he was injury prone. You're right.

Both can be true. He was right to retire, and he never lived up to his billing.

False analogy.

Show me where a players contract is breached out of whats agreed upon in the cba and then that would be analogous to the horrendous timing of luck here. ( the colts wouldnt cut somone they depend on. ) your analogy makes zero sense

Besides you are now admitting its wrong what luck did, but management does it so f it

Its still wrong lol

10 minutes ago, MCGAHEE2121 said:

Luck IS NOT INJURED

LUCKS PLAY IS NOT DIMINISHED

stop avoiding the issue. Theres a reason ppl are upset

Even if he's not injured, why is it his responsibility to keep playing?  The only people he's responsible to is himself and his loved ones.  The only thing I think he owed the team and the fans was to play hard when he was under contract.  I don't think anyone ever questioned that he played hard and took his job seriously.  So to me, he has absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. 

As for Colts' fans, I guess I can't get on them too much for being disappointed that he retired.  He was a great player who probably was on the cusp of taking the team to another Superbowl. 

I also can't get on the Colts' STH's if they're upset that they paid a lot of money only to have the rug pulled out from underneath them with 2 weeks to go until the season.  However, the Colts' ownership can very easily make amends by offering a refund to any STH's who want one.  So any anger should be directed at Colts' management, not Andrew Luck.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Yeah unless there's a serious injury I'd bet any money he plays again.

It's still bizarre though - The only QB I've ever seen billed as can't miss. Was supposed to be the next Manning/Brady but the Colts ruined whatever hope there was of that. His career has been disappointing even if it hasn't really all been on him.

Next Pats QB wasn't a bad shout. Would not surprise me in the slightest.

I was thinking Brady retires at the end of the year and Luck comes out of retirement at 30 as a Patriot. Not sure if the Colts would still have the rights to him.

3 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Avoiding the issue? Ah, excuse me bro, I quoted you. How is that avoidance? 

And he is injured. 

Andrew Luck of the Colts Retires From the N.F.L. After Spate of Injuries

ImageOft injured Indianapolis Colts quarterback Andrew Luck is retiring after seven years in the league.
Oft injured Indianapolis Colts quarterback Andrew Luck is retiring after seven years in the league.CreditCreditMichael Conroy/Associated Press
  • Published Aug. 24, 2019Updated Aug. 25, 2019, 2:48 p.m. ET
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  

Andrew Luck, a Pro Bowl quarterback and the face of the Indianapolis Colts, has decided to retire at 29 after a career defined by wins and injuries.

Luck sustained severe injuries throughout his career. He missed nine games in 2015 and the entire 2017 season. He was working his way back from a persistent ankle injury and had not appeared in any of the team’s preseason games, including one in progress on Saturday night when the news of his retirement first broke with reports by ESPN and the NFL Network.

Luck confirmed the reports at a postgame news conference. “I haven’t been able to live the life I want to live,” Luck said as he fought off tears. “It’s taken the joy out of this game. The only way forward for me is to remove myself from football and this cycle I’ve been in.”

Luck, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2012 draft, was an instant star for the Colts, helping offset the loss of Peyton Manning, another franchise icon, who was cut by the team after he had dealt with serious injuries of his own.

Or how about this article. 

Andrew Luck will miss another week of practice as he continues to rehab leg injuries

Jim Ayello  Indianapolis Star
Published 8:32 PM EDT Aug 20, 2019

INDIANAPOLIS -- Andrew Luck will not practice this week. Indianapolis Colts coach Frank Reich announced Tuesday afternoon that after missing almost all of training camp, the star quarterback will spend another week on the sidelines rehabbing his lingering ankle and calf injuries.

Full-speed movements and managing Luck’s pain threshold continue to be the biggest factors as the soon-to-be 30-year-old works his way back to the practice field.

5fa7f185-0d04-4587-bd74-7887d9f05691-ColtsBrowns_mk_40.jpg?width=1080&quality=50
Indianapolis Colts quarterback Jacoby Brissett (7) and quarterback Andrew Luck (12) in the first half of their preseason game at Lucas Oil Stadium on Saturday, August 17, 2019.
Matt Kryger/IndyStar

“Really all we have right now is a combination of full-speed movement and pain threshold,” Reich said. "It’s that combination of how much full speed and what level. It’s on a continuum, right? A continuum of speed and movement and a continuum of pain. So it’s that combination."

More Colts:

• Insider: Frank Reich using preseason to learn nuances of pass interference reviews
  • Colts bring in another former Chiefs RB to replace an injured D'Onta Foreman

When asked if Luck feels pain during activity, after or both, Reich declined to delve into details.

“At this point I’d really not talk about the pain and all the various things,” he said. “There’s just always those moving parts."

A few hours before Saturday's preseason game against the Cleveland Browns, Andrew Luck participated in some side-to-side footwork and throwing drills, displaying exactly the the type of mobility Chris Ballard said he needed to show in order to get back on the field. 

Despite Saturday's events, Luck remains slated to sit out the entire preseason while his Week 1 availability remains a question. Last Wednesday, Reich set a deadline for that determination, saying that team needs to know if Luck will play Week 1 by the conclusion of this weekend’s game against the Chicago Bears. 

Earlier this offseason, Reich also said that, ideally, his starting quarterback would participate in a full week of practice before playing in a game, which would mean a return at the beginning of September.

Ultimately, when Luck returns to the field will be largely up to him. While he’ll obviously need to be medically cleared, which has not yet happened, Reich said over the weekend that only Luck knows how much pain he’s in and that pain management is a relevant issue. 

“The pain threshold thing is not something to be ignored, right?” Reich said Sunday. “There’s the strength in the issue. We know he is doing everything possible there. The workouts on the field have been good both from getting work on fundamentals and technique but also strengthening it while you are on the field, but there is also the pain threshold thing. We have to figure that out the best way we can.”

With Luck sitting out this weekend's game against the Bears, backup quarterback Jacoby Brissett will once again get the start. He finished 8-of-100 for 100 yards and a touchdown during an impressive performance Saturday against the Browns. 

Following Tuesday's update on Luck, Reich discussed the status of several other key Colts, including rookie wide receiver Parris Campbell. 

The Ohio State product and second-round pick continues to nurse a hamstring injury that kept him out of the last 12 training camp practices. Reich said Campbell is making progress toward a return, though he was not ready to say if that would happen this week. 

“If you’re checking off steps, he checked off another step yesterday,” Reich said.

Staying on the offensive side of the ball, Reich deemed second-year running back Jordan Wilkins week-to-week with a foot injury but said he there's a chance Wilkins could be ready for Week 1. 

"It's still too early to tell that," Reich said. "But he's making good progress."

Because of injuries to Wilkins, Jonathan Williams (broken rib) and D'Onta Foreman (placed on IR with a torn bicep), the Colts have had to make multiple moves to beef up the running back room. 

The team signed free agent running back James Williams on Tuesday, a day after they added former Kansas Chief Charcandrick West and undrafted free agent Marquis Young. 

On the defensive side of the ball, Jabaal Sheard continues to miss practice after undergoing a knee procedure around the midway point of training camp. Like Wilkins, Reich said Sheard is making good progress in his rehabilitation but said it's too early to know if he'll be available Week 1 in California. 

Joining Luck, Campbell, Wilkins and Sheard in those not seen participating in the early portion of Tuesday's practice were Adam Vinatieri (knee) and linebacker Matthew Adams (injury not disclosed). 

Why are colts fo ppl shocked then.

LUCK IS NOT RETIRING BECAUSE HIS ANKLE IS SORE 

if he was retiring because of a serious injury he 

1 would be on pup or ir

2. Nobody would have an issue because its out of his control.

He said he retired from lost joy and growing tired of the grind.

THEN RETIRE IN FEBRUARY!!

• Thumb Down 1

24 minutes ago, Hackenberg said:

Another, anti logic, pseudo logic, remark,  you're   repeating because  you heard it somewhere . It cries - only group think is allowed.  Thinking for yourself is against the law. No, you can't' prove  anything is crazy. All you can prove is we disagree on the origin of something. Until you can prove his injuries are real, you have no  ground to stand on.

Not subscribing to group think and thinking everyone is stupid but me are very different, and that lack of understanding is representative of your failed home schooling.

As for Luck’s injuries, I have no interest in debating a thought disordered mind, but not being able to prove they’re real, because I don’t know him, and don’t have access to his medical records is one thing, but you’ve used that to conclude that they aren’t real, not that they’re unverifiable to an audience.  That’s psychosis.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Even if he's not injured, why is it his responsibility to keep playing?  The only people he's responsible to is himself and his loved ones.  The only thing I think he owed the team and the fans was to play hard when he was under contract.  I don't think anyone ever questioned that he played hard and took his job seriously.  So to me, he has absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. 

As for Colts' fans, I guess I can't get on them too much for being disappointed that he retired.  He was a great player who probably was on the cusp of taking the team to another Superbowl. 

I also can't get on the Colts' STH's if they're upset that they paid a lot of money only to have the rug pulled out from underneath them with 2 weeks to go until the season.  However, the Colts' ownership can very easily make amends by offering a refund to any STH's who want one.  So any anger should be directed at Colts' management, not Andrew Luck.

Have u ever had a job or responsibility ever?

Do i really need to explain this for the 10th time

17 minutes ago, MCGAHEE2121 said:

Stop the bs

Not why

But when

Nobody is upset about why

When what? Luck retiring two weeks before the season starts is no different than a player being cut by a team two weeks before a season starts. The Colts ownership deserves this, even though i doubt Luck did this to stick it to them.

Just now, MCGAHEE2121 said:

Why are colts fo ppl shocked then.

Probably because they found out about it not from the organization, but via the internet in the middle of a preseason game while Andrew Luck is standing on the sidelines. 

That is pretty f'ing shocking if you ask me. 

LUCK IS NOT RETIRING BECAUSE HIS ANKLE IS SORE 

Luck is retiring because of the numerous injuries overall, and the fact that he's missed 26 games since 2015 proves that he's not retiring because his ankle is sore, he's retiring for something much more serious overall. 

All caps dont prove anything

if he was retiring because of a serious injury he 

1 would be on pup or ir

2. Nobody would have an issue because its out of his control.

Why would he go to the PUP if he's retiring instead? The PUP means "physically unable to perform". Question. Has Luck performed at all this preseason? 

He said he retired from lost joy and growing tired of the grind.

THEN RETIRE IN FEBRUARY!!

Of course he lost the joy. He's missed 26 games since 2015 which included numerous surgeries and a complete restructuring of his shoulder that caused him to miss an entire season. 

Being tired of the grind makes sense given that he's not just tired of the grind of being a football player, but tired of having to grind through countless injuries which clearly shows that his body is telling him that something is wrong. 

All caps dont prove anything. 

13 minutes ago, MCGAHEE2121 said:

False analogy.

Show me where a players contract is breached out of whats agreed upon in the cba and then that would be analogous to the horrendous timing of luck here. ( the colts wouldnt cut somone they depend on. ) your analogy makes zero sense

Besides you are now admitting its wrong what luck did, but management does it so f it

Its still wrong lol

Maybe I didn't explain it clearly. "Players get cut at any time during the season" wasn't meant to be an analogy. It was meant to point out the fact that a player is within his rights to retire at any point.

Football is a violent game, no? A player relies on two things, his mind and his body. When his mind tells him his body can no longer hold up, he;s not only smart to retire, he's actually doing his team a favor.

A player who is physically or mentally checked out isn't going to help anyone.

BTW If I'm following your reasoning, was Jim Brown a typically spoiled millennial when he retired after 9 years? Barry Sanders? There are more examples, but I think you get my point. One more thing. I'm a baby boomer, far from a millennial...

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Not subscribing to group think and thinking everyone is stupid but me are very different, and that lack of understanding is representative of your failed home schooling.

As for Luck’s injuries, I have no interest in debating a thought disordered mind, but not being able to prove they’re real, because I don’t know him, and don’t have access to his medical records is one thing, but you’ve used that to conclude that they aren’t real, not that they’re unverifiable to an audience.  That’s psychosis.

Lol Where o where  did I say everyone  is stupid? No where. I simply know something  you don't  know, yet,about entertainment  sports  ....what does 'espn' mean again?  Entertainment sports network.. the word competition is no where to be found.

It's' the same as you hearing about a new computer function but need help to learn it. You are a reluctant  student.

No, your inability  to prove something  does not mean I have any psychosis. It just means you can't' prove it happened. 

33 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Lucks shoulder and ankle were hurt snowboarding btw

Had nothing to do with colts fo

13 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Maybe I didn't explain it clearly. "Players get cut at any time during the season" wasn't meant to be an analogy. It was meant to point out the fact that a player is within his rights to retire at any point.

Football is a violent game, no? A player relies on two things, his mind and his body. When his mind tells him his body can no longer hold up, he;s not only smart to retire, he's actually doing his team a favor.

A player who is physically or mentally checked out isn't going to help anyone.

BTW If I'm following your reasoning, was Jim Brown a typically spoiled millennial when he retired after 9 years? Barry Sanders? There are more examples, but I think you get my point. One more thing. I'm a baby boomer, far from a millennial...

Except its completely irrelevant because no team is cutting a player they depend on like luck or are they breaking their word.

Lucks horrible timing here is bad because his word was broken. 

Just admit he quit. Its not hard

8 minutes ago, MCGAHEE2121 said:

Except its completely irrelevant because no team is cutting a player they depend on like luck or are they breaking their word.

Lucks horrible timing here is bad because his word was broken. 

Just admit he quit. Its not hard

Quit, retired, whatever. Why does it bother you so much?

I heard Sal Palontonio predict this weeks ago on Sirius radio. Luck hasn't practiced or participated in a drill all offseason as far as I know.

Do you really think the Colts were 

A. Totally blindsided by this?

B. really expecting much from him this year the way his leg was healing?

Would you have more respect for him if he didn't retire and just sat out the last two years of his contract, unable to play yet collecting every dollar owed him until, wait for it... The Colts cut him?

• Upvote 4

With the decision to not recoup any of Andrew Luck’s signing or roster bonuses (h/t @AdamSchefter) the #Colts will take on dead cap hits of $18.4M in 2019, & $6.4M in 2020. Luck will earn $12M cash in 2019 from his roster bonuses, bringing his career earnings to $109M.

$6 million is Jamison Crowder, Jamal Adams money 
he should pay the colts back without question 

The word is the Colts medical staff, unsurprisingly, did Luck no favors. Demanding money back would only lead to an ugly lawsuit.
  • Upvote 1

The narrative the lemmings believe is luck was some great qb whos career was ruined by the colts.
The reality is luck never lived up to what he was projected to be, held onto the ball way to long and got whalloped and was not very durable.
Luck’s career ending this way is just as much his fault as it is the colts organization.  
The perception is hes some martyr and that is just not true.

The Colts are indeed an inept organization with a drugged up owner (who the league once suspended 6 games).

How else do you explain them drafting Elway, Peyton and Luck and only get 1 ring out of all that? A ring that came against the Rex Grossman-led Bears?

Elway refused to play in Indy because they were so bad. Peyton should have won 4 rings in Indy. Luck should have won at least 1.

1 hour ago, MCGAHEE2121 said:

When did gronk retire??? Again stop shifting the narrative.

Nobody is upset about WHY luck retired.

Its the when and complete asinine way of going about it

If you think the world revolves around you, dont care about principles, responsibility etc then you dont care what luck did. 

But if youre a self aware adult you are fully aware of the character flaw here.

Theres a reason ppl say you should finish things. Its not just some fairy dust written in proverbs. It has real life consequences

Time to grow up andrew is what irsay shouldve said imho

Did you cry like this when Vontae Davis retired during half-time? 

Life has consequences, lol ya think? If Luck felt like he was compromising his health later in life to keep playing in the NFL than he made the right decision by retiring. Absurd that you even are willing to argue the opposite. Some self reflection is sorely needed here.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, MindOverMatter said:

Life has consequences, lol ya think? If Luck felt like he was compromising his health later in life to keep playing in the NFL than he made the right decision by retiring. Absurd that you even are willing to argue the opposite. Some self reflection is sorely needed here.

Dude doesn't even know Gronk retired so there is that 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

1 hour ago, MindOverMatter said:

When what? Luck retiring two weeks before the season starts is no different than a player being cut by a team two weeks before a season starts. The Colts ownership deserves this, even though i doubt Luck did this to stick it to them.

Yes it is different. Read the thread. Not gonna keep explaining logic

10 minutes ago, MindOverMatter said:

Again not why

When....

Try again

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

Probably because they found out about it not from the organization, but via the internet in the middle of a preseason game while Andrew Luck is standing on the sidelines. 

That is pretty f'ing shocking if you ask me. 

Luck is retiring because of the numerous injuries overall, and the fact that he's missed 26 games since 2015 proves that he's not retiring because his ankle is sore, he's retiring for something much more serious overall. 

All caps dont prove anything

Why would he go to the PUP if he's retiring instead? The PUP means "physically unable to perform". Question. Has Luck performed at all this preseason? 

Of course he lost the joy. He's missed 26 games since 2015 which included numerous surgeries and a complete restructuring of his shoulder that caused him to miss an entire season. 

Being tired of the grind makes sense given that he's not just tired of the grind of being a football player, but tired of having to grind through countless injuries which clearly shows that his body is telling him that something is wrong. 

All caps dont prove anything. 

It proves he should've retired in February....