My Reaction to Todd McShay Mock Draft 1.0

bla bla bla

- 8 WRs too many - Since 2009 the highest total of WRs taken in round 1 is 6, the average is 4.

- 3 OL too few - Since 2009 only 1 year had less than 3 OL taken, the average amount is 6.

- Browns needing WR help?

- Bucs needing DL help?

- Back to back defense for the Jags?

- Redskins passing on Thomas?

1 - CIN - QB Joe Burrow LSU

2 - NYG - DE Chase Young OHIO ST

3 - WAS - WR Jerry Jeudy ALABAMA

4 - MIA - QB Tua Tagovailoa ALABAMA

5 - DET - CB Jeff Okudah OHIO ST

6 - ARI - WR CeeDee Lamb OKLAHOMA

7 - NYJ - OT Andrew Thomas GEORGIA

8 - JAX - OLB Isaiah Simmons CLEMSON

9 - CAR - DT Derrick Brown AUBURN

10 - LAC - QB Justin Herbert OREGON

11 - LV - CB Paulson Adebo STANFORD

12 - DEN - S Grant Delpit LSU

13 - ATL - CB CJ Henderson FLORIDA

14 - CLE - WR Tee Higgins CLEMSON

15 - IND - WR Justin Jefferson LSU

16 - LV - WR Laviska Shenault COLORADO

17 - TB - DT Javon Kinlaw SOUTH CAROLINA

18 - PHI - WR Henry Ruggs III ALABAMA

19 - JAX - DT Raekwon Davis ALABAMA

20 - MIA - DE Curtis Weaver BOISE ST

21 - TEN - RB D'Andre Swift GEORGIA

22 - DAL - S Xavier McKinney ALABAMA

23 - BUF - WR Brandon Aiyuk ARIZONA ST

24 - MIA - OL Alex Leatherwood ALABAMA

25 - MIN - CB Bryce Hall VIRGINIA

26 - GB - WR DeVonta Smith ALABAMA

27 - SEA - DT Marvin Wilson FLORIDA ST

28 - KC - CB Kristian Fulton LSU

29 - NO - DE AJ Epenesa IOWA

30 - NE - OT Tristan Wirfs IOWA

31 - SF - RB JK Dobbins OHIO ST

32 - BAL - DE Yetur Gross-Matos PENN ST

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

There is no way Arizona would pass on him. They have an OL nearly as bad as ours. If we pick at 7, Wirfs should be the guy

If Thomas goes before us and no one wants to trade up, we could take Lamb or the 2nd best OL (some other OL is bound to rise up into the Top 10 by draft day)

2 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

If Thomas goes before us and no one wants to trade up, we could take Lamb or the 2nd best OL (some other OL is bound to rise up into the Top 10 by draft day)

I don't  think you could pass on Wirfs. There is no way Thomas lasts until pick 7. Wirfs can play either tackle position.  

24 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I thought Devonta Smith is staying another year at Alabama?  Either way, he isn’t going in the first.  

McShay loves his WRs more than I do...Lol.  Even I can’t justify some of these guys he has going in the first. 

as of now it's hard to see the jets not taking an OL with their pick in the first round.  if they trade adams, it would probably be a later first rounder which could be used on a wr since some of these guys will drop.  

35 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

as of now it's hard to see the jets not taking an OL with their pick in the first round.  if they trade adams, it would probably be a later first rounder which could be used on a wr since some of these guys will drop.  

Or CB, Edge, C. Its really hard to tell b/c late in the first round the Jets could be looking at a top 5 CB in a draft where the CB position is not very deep but top heavy so they would be getting one of the last really good ones. They could be looking at Biadasz, a C who could fill that position of need for the next decade. Or they could be looking at one of the few really good edge rusher still available like Julian Okwara or Gross-Matos. Edge is not a very deep or strong position in this years draft. I think there's only a few guys that are worth taking early. 

So while WR is the obvious position to address. The Jets will definitely have a shot a a very good WR prospect in Rd. 2, just b/c of the depth of the position this year. No way 8 go in rd. 1, this mock is ludicrous to suggest that. I think 3 maybe 4 WRs go in Rd. 1 and we're actually going to see way more O-linemen get drafted- like 6. Thomas, Wirfs, Wills, Leatherwood, Biadasz, Jackson...and maybe Humphrey. Teams will be loading up on these blue chip OT before they are all gone and the Jets better get theirs. IMHO.

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I don't  think you could pass on Wirfs. There is no way Thomas lasts until pick 7. Wirfs can play either tackle position.  

I think i can, and I hope we do. Wirfs hasn't had a great year and is a RT... nothing wrong with RTs, we probably need one too, but in this case, if we're passing on blue chip WRs for... Wirfs? Hell no.  Give me LT or give me death. 

Wirf will slide this draft cycle. 

3 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

I'm as big a damn Alabama homer as there is in this world and I love Tua, but anyone who spends a Top 10 draft pick on him is a fool

He'll go top 10. Watch! 

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

Or CB, Edge, C. Its really hard to tell b/c late in the first round the Jets could be looking at a top 5 CB in a draft where the CB position is not very deep but top heavy so they would be getting one of the last really good ones. They could be looking at Biadasz, a C who could fill that position of need for the next decade. Or they could be looking at one of the few really good edge rusher still available like Julian Okwara or Gross-Matos. Edge is not a very deep or strong position in this years draft. I think there's only a few guys that are worth taking early. 

So while WR is the obvious position to address. The Jets will definitely have a shot a a very good WR prospect in Rd. 2, just b/c of the depth of the position this year. No way 8 go in rd. 1, this mock is ludicrous to suggest that. I think 3 maybe 4 WRs go in Rd. 1 and we're actually going to see way more O-linemen get drafted- like 6. Thomas, Wirfs, Wills, Leatherwood, Biadasz, Jackson...and maybe Humphrey. Teams will be loading up on these blue chip OT before they are all gone and the Jets better get theirs. IMHO.

if they traded adams for a 1st rounder plus a later pick, i doubt they would use this 1st rounder on a cb.  the 2 main reasons to trade adams are 1) he would cost a fortune to resign and they don't want to pay him that money, and 2) they can turn him into an OL or wr.  so if the jets take the best OL when they pick, they could use the pick acquired in a trade to take either another OL or wr.  i don't see the logic in trading adams for a cb, when adams is already a very good db although not at a premium position.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I think i can, and I hope we do. Wirfs hasn't had a great year and is a RT... nothing wrong with RTs, we probably need one too, but in this case, if we're passing on blue chip WRs for... Wirfs? Hell no.  Give me LT or give me death. 

Wirf will slide this draft cycle. 

Wirfs also played LT this season alos due to injury and was fine

4 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Wirfs also played LT this season alos due to injury and was fine

I beg to differ and if you poke around you’ll find many who agree. He hasn’t been top 10 caliber. And he shouldn’t be anywhere near the top of our wish list. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

I thought the same thing last year.  Until we stop taking interior defensive players I’m not holding my breath.  

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

I beg to differ and if you poke around you’ll find many who agree. He hasn’t been top 10 caliber. And he shouldn’t be anywhere near the top of our wish list. 

Why? And who agrees?

I've read everywhere the following:

1. Phenomenal talent. 

2. Prototypical NFL OT as far as size and reach.

2. Incredibly athletic and shows great footwork.

3. Equally as good in pass protection as he is in the run game. 

4. Played college career at RT but when asked to fill in at LT did so with no issue.

He is projected as the #2 OT on most boards. Most draft pundits believe he will be able to transition to LT with no problem b/c of his athleticism.  

49 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Why? And who agrees?

I've read everywhere the following:

1. Phenomenal talent. 

2. Prototypical NFL OT as far as size and reach.

2. Incredibly athletic and shows great footwork.

3. Equally as good in pass protection as he is in the run game. 

4. Played college career at RT but when asked to fill in at LT did so with no issue.

He is projected as the #2 OT on most boards. Most draft pundits believe he will be able to transition to LT with no problem b/c of his athleticism.  

It’s out there if you look for it. 

also our in house people are still deciding him too 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

It’s out there if you look for it. 

also our in house people are still deciding him too 

Yep 

Still not totally sold on Wirfs, at least as a LT in the NFL.

I hadn’t even paid much attention to Wills until Sec101 brought him up. But he looks more fluid to me.

And the high bust rate for OT’s over the last 10+ years has me scared of almost all of these guys besides Thomas.

He’s a natural on the left side and has more than held his own against some of the best passrushers in the country.

At the end of the day, I’m still all about bolstering the OL through FA and grabbing Lamb if he’s available and Thomas is gone.

I know you love Jamal, but I’d sh*t myself and worship at the feet of Joe Douglas if we could move him and walk away with a Lamb, Biadasz, Bredeson/Trey Adams combo in the first two rounds.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Yep 

Still not totally sold on Wirfs, at least as a LT in the NFL.

I hadn’t even paid much attention to Wills until Sec101 brought him up. But he looks more fluid to me.

And the high bust rate for OT’s over the last 10+ years has me scared of almost all of these guys besides Thomas.

He’s a natural on the left side and has more than held his own against some of the best passrushers in the country.

At the end of the day, I’m still all about bolstering the OL through FA and grabbing Lamb if he’s available and Thomas is gone.

I know you love Jamal, but I’d sh*t myself and worship at the feet of Joe Douglas if we could move him and walk away with a Lamb, Biadasz, Bredeson/Trey Adams combo in the first two rounds.

It's going to be very tempting to move on from Jamal. I'm on board, and I just got my Jamal jersey this year. F*ck me right?

• Upvote 2