2 days until Joe Douglas Season

Sarge4Tide

Joe Douglas?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. How confident are you that Joe Douglas will do a great job this off season?

• Very Confident! No doubt he's the man for the job!
    • Somewhat confident! I'm optimistic!
    • I'm taking a "wait and see" approach
    • Somewhat not confident I'm not optimistic!
    • Not at all confident! I have a really bad feeling about this!

Since being hired, Douglas has had limited options for improving the team and has had to be patient, but starting Monday he will be front and center on a number of important decisions and can begin to shape the team to match his vision.

Among the things he will have to do are:

1. Evaluating coaches and front office personnel - making changes if needed
  2. Offering future contracts (or not) to Jets practice squad members (and PS players from other teams)
  3. Re-signing (or not) Jets restricted and exclusive rights free agents 
  4. Offering contracts (or not) to Jets unrestricted free agents
  5. Renegotiating (or not) contracts of Jets players currently under contract (e.g. Darnold, Adams)
  6. Listening to trade offers or proposing trades to other teams for current Jets players / draft picks
  7. Signing high priority  free agents from other teams 
  8. Signing 2nd tier / depth quality free agents from other teams
  9. Drafting players / making in draft trades
  10. Signing undrafted free agents

How confident are you that Douglas can do a high quality job this off season?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

Just now, T0mShane said:

The guys that Douglas/Williams/Gase have scraped up off the street during the season have been better than the trash Maccagnan left behind after four drafts and burning a billion dollars in free agency. Kalil sucked, but guys like Maulet, Burgess, Alex Lewis, Vsyllables Smith, etc. have been solid trash-heap adds because the common theme is that they’re physical guys who like football, which will be a nice change from what we’re used to seeing.

Agree on all this except let's not forget that Kicker Vedvik who cost us a game this season. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Agree on all this except let's not forget that Kicker Vedvik who cost us a game this season. 

He was sought after by a bunch of teams. When a kicker breaks mentally, its over and done with. Noway of knowing until they get in the field. What screwed them that week was practice time on the field earlier in the week.

I forget what happened but Vedvik was supposed to kick the day before but his time was bumped. So he went into the Buffalo game without ever kicking on metlife field before.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, Adoni Beast said:

He was sought after by a bunch of teams. When a kicker breaks mentally, its over and done with. Noway of knowing until they get in the field. What screwed them that week was practice time on the field earlier in the week.

I forget what happened but Vedvik was supposed to kick the day before but his time was bumped. So he went into the Buffalo game without ever kicking on metlife field before.

Agree but the fact another Kicker wasn't already brought in during training camp like most teams do or on the NY Jets  radar who had some NFL experience speaks volumes. 

• Sympathy 1

The most sneaky interesting thing Douglas is going to do this offseason is bring in a viable quarterback to push Darnold. No way he goes into next season with all their eggs in that wishy-washy basket. It wouldn’t surprise me if he uses one of those third rounders on a real QB, or brings in someone like Foles if he’s dumped in Jacksonville.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

The most sneaky interesting thing Douglas is going to do this offseason is bring in a viable quarterback to push Darnold. No way he goes into next season with all their eggs in that wishy-washy basket. It wouldn’t surprise me if he uses one of those third rounders on a real QB, or brings in someone like Foles if he’s dumped in Jacksonville.

Image result for you could be onto something gifs

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Agree but the fact another Kicker wasn't already brought in during training camp like most teams do or on the NY Jets  radar who had some NFL experience speaks volumes. 

Yeah, it all cones back to keeping Macagnan as long as CJ did. Everything Douglas did was rushed and last second. But he got The Fick for us, which is a nice kicker solution.

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

That would absolutely shock me. 

I expect a solid, veteran backup QB not unlike Siemian. Whoever it is will be brought in strictly as a backup. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

17 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I would say Fitzpatrick would be a good backup, but I don't trust the Fitzpatrick "curse."  Something always seems to happen to the QB that Fitzpatrick is brought in to back-up.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

Totally wait and see.

I am uneasy about the trade deadline rumors re Quinnen Williams and a colossal kisses op.

I am uneasy about the owner baby sitting jamal after jamal cried like a 2 year old when his names was mentioned at trade deadline.

It will not take long to make a judgment though, one off season will tell the tale an probably after day two of the draft.

How he handles Jamal and his probable hold out and beaking about it in the press every day will be big as well.

He needs to be able to tell the owner and the coach to stfu and go sit in the corner when required.

3 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I would say Fitzpatrick would be a good backup, but I don't trust the Fitzpatrick "curse."  Something always seems to happen to the QB that Fitzpatrick is brought in to back-up.

Fitzpatrick is a talent wraith for young starters. He comes in, sucks away the starter’s ability while they sleep, then leaves them as lifeless husks never to be heard from or seen again as professional football players. 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Fitz is a perfect back up a guy that can actually come in and win games.  In any case they need a viable good back up.  I donl;t want to hear the whines of gase lovers over the poor quality of people he has to work with.

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He needs to be able to tell the owner and the coach to stfu and go sit in the corner when required.

This is the biggest hurdle, but the attenuating factor is that Douglas got a huuuuge GM contract to come here which is, I think, an implicit concession from Chris Johnson that Douglas is in charge moving forward. RE: the Jamal Adams trade deadline stuff, a lot of the information that we got out of it was Cowboys and Jamal Adams/butthurt spin and not much of it benefited the Jets to have out there, so I don’t think Chris Johnson cares too much if they trade the strong safety. Jets tickets are sold out whether or not we have a dimwit dancing poorly after every meaningless tackle

Just now, T0mShane said:

This is the biggest hurdle, but the attenuating factor is that Douglas got a huuuuge GM contract to come here which is, I think, an implicit concession from Chris Johnson that Douglas is in charge moving forward. RE: the Jamal Adams trade deadline stuff, a lot of the information that we got out of it was Cowboys and Jamal Adams/butthurt spin and not much of it benefited the Jets to have out there, so I don’t think Chris Johnson cares too much if they trade the strong safety. Jets tickets are sold out whether or not we have a dimwit dancing poorly after every meaningless tackle

The NY Jets are not trading their best defensive player and best Safety in the NFL, he's a marquee player that sells jerseys. 

No way is this happening and no way is another team giving up 2- 1st round picks for Jamal Adams. 

Give it a rest you are going gray over this. 

• Sympathy 1

Williamson / Winters / Tru / Roberts / Bell / Quincy / Shell are all goners.

Surprise cut I can Henry Anderson. DL has been great, and he has not. Unsure of the cap hit for him, but if its reasonable I can see him gone.

I think Robbie is a goner too. Someone will give him more $ than we’ll want.

I think they Re-sign Beechum / Draft Wirfs if he’s there. Wirfs at RT 2020 then LT 2021. I say re-sign Beechum because we can’t bank on finding our LT solution in the draft.

I think Douglas goes for BJ Finney, or re-signs Harrison, while still drafting a center.

I can see Douglas spending on Scherff. We’ll need a proven anchor on the right side of the line. Re-sign Lewis for LG.

Big money spending for Yannick who absolutely deserves it. Re-sign Jenkins.

They’ll re-sign Poole. They’ll give Jamal his monster deal. They need to sign an outside CB and draft one.

My fear is we won’t have any weapons for Darnold in 2020. Too many holes to fill, and we can’t solve them all in one off season. I think WR/RB will be sacrificed and looked at in the draft. 

But the OL definitely warrants the top priority, coupled with edge / corner.

• Sympathy 1

53 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Could have been worse the Vikings traded a 5th round pick to the Ravens for Vedvik and he lasted just a few weeks on their roster before they cut him.  Must have been a conditional pick.

13 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The NY Jets are not trading their best defensive player and best Safety in the NFL, he's a marquee player that sells jerseys. 

No way is this happening and no way is another team giving up 2- 1st round picks for Jamal Adams. 

Give it a rest you are going gray over this. 

Darnold is the top-selling Jets jersey. More people bought Daniel Jones jerseys than Jamal Adams jerseys this year. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

This would be a smart decision.  Jalen Hurts comes to mind although I'm not sure the round scouts would project him.  Does he last until the third round?  Maybe.

54 minutes ago, slats said:

That would absolutely shock me. 

I expect a solid, veteran backup QB not unlike Siemian. Whoever it is will be brought in strictly as a backup. 

Completely agree. I would be shocked as well if JD used a pick as high as 3rd round on a QB when we desperately need CB, WR, Edge and O-line depth- even if we address it in FA. Frankly, I don't see us draft a QB at all. 

• Post of the Week 1