Rumor- Cowboys to Fire Entire Coaching Staff...

Welp

11 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

This place absolutely LOVES the "coaches that got away" or the ones who were never hired, interviewed, etc.

We have a statue of Mike McCarthy somewhere in the forum gathering dust.  It's hidden behind the Matt Rhule statue next to the Kliff Kingsbury mural.

And Rex's Superbowl trophy next to Kingsburys mural.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, CSNY said:

I think that the Jets will be the only ones to offer him a head coaching job since I do believe that Bountygate does have some lingering effects if in fact they do move on from Gase. It appears that Williams is well respected within the organization and by his players as well so this would be his only opportunity if it does arise. I don’t think Cleveland would have been a good fit for him with all the prima donnas players that are on that roster. 

I agree that he seems to be very well respected by the Jets and that because of bounty gate hes not getting a HC gig anywhere else.  If even here 

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

How do we define "great college coach"?

Did he win a National Title?  A bunch of big-conference D1 titles?  A bunch of big bowl games vs. top-end competition?

I'm not sure "great" is appropriate here.  Turning around borderline DII schools in borderline DII divisions is great, I'm sure he has alot to be proud of.  But when I think great, I don't think of this. 

He's the Coaching equivalent of small school mid-round pick.  

If you're criteria is winning BCS championships, that's a different thing. Baylor is not going to really get a shot at that anyway. You're looking for an aggressive offense coach. A guy like that is who is going to succeed in the NFL. Saban has won a bunch of titles; so has Dabo. Bu both appear to know they're better off at a big college program. 

Recruiting is the whole game in college. Urban Meyer showed up at Jeremy Rekert's high school and told him he was the best TE he had ever seen. There is no comparison to that in the NFL. And the big time bCS schools can do that all the time. Now Meyer may also be a great coach, but Saban, perhaps his strength is really recruiting. And there isn;t any such thing in the NFL. 

2 hours ago, Bugg said:

If you're criteria is winning BCS championships, that's a different thing.

Well....what IS the criteria for being a "great college coach" then?

2 hours ago, Bugg said:

Baylor is not going to really get a shot at that anyway.

Rightfully so.

2 hours ago, Bugg said:

You're looking for an aggressive offense coach. A guy like that is who is going to succeed in the NFL. Saban has won a bunch of titles; so has Dabo. Bu both appear to know they're better off at a big college program. 

I'm not judging his personality or coaching style.  I'm asking can a guy in a backwater school in a backwater conference playing weak opponents (generally) be considered a "great college coach" so much so he deserves a shot over successful legit DI coaches at legit DI schools in legit DI conferences.

Hence the "small school prospect" comparison.

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Well....what IS the criteria for being a "great college coach" then?

Rightfully so.

I'm not judging his personality or coaching style.  I'm asking can a guy in a backwater school in a backwater conference playing weak opponents (generally) be considered a "great college coach" so much so he deserves a shot over successful legit DI coaches at legit DI schools in legit DI conferences.

Hence the "small school prospect" comparison.

Are you really saying Baylor is a dII level back water school in a backwater football conference?

Do you realize they were minutes away from beating OU and winning that “back water” conference title and going to the playoffs instead of OU?

1 hour ago, deucebag said:

He gets $6M per year at OK, what if JJ offered him a 5 year $60M contract?

I don't  think that is going to happen but let's  say it does. Most likely, Riely already makes more money than he can spend in a place like Oklahoma and he has solid job security.  Getting a job as a college coach is like getting a 10 year annuity,  you have guaranteed  income and job and at the college level, it is all about the coach. The coach is like a God. On The Cowboys, it's  all about Jerry Jones. 

If it was me, I would stay put. It isn't  like he is going to have a better quality  of life. The only reason for him to cone is if he has a desire to coach at the next level. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I don't  think that is going to happen but let's  say it does. Most likely, Riely already makes more money than he can spend in a place like Oklahoma and he has solid job security.  Getting a job as a college coach is like getting a 10 year annuity,  you have guaranteed  income and job and at the college level, it is all about the coach. The coach is like a God. On The Cowboys, it's  all about Jerry Jones. 

If it was me, I would stay put. It isn't  like he is going to have a better quality  of life. The only reason for him to cone is if he has a desire to coach at the next level. 

I would guess so if you still have a job after losing your last two playoff games like 120-40 and having both games over after the end of the first Q.?