Rumor- Cowboys to Fire Entire Coaching Staff...

Welp

Just now, TNJet said:

I think this Rhule stupid love fest is only because we passed on him. If we never interviewed him no one would see him a a shoe in winner.

Wrong. He's been an up and comer for a while. He's already coached in the NFL and turn around a college program that was headed in the gutter. 

1 minute ago, LockeJET said:

He completely turned that program around and you can't compare them to Oklahoma who gets 4 and 5 star recruits while Baylor gets the leftovers.

Is he better than Spurrier or Saban? They sucked in the Pros. Oh but the Giants dumpster fire plus Rhule is bound to hit pay dirt. I'm not so sure. Great college coach? Sure....great NFL coach? No one knows yet.

3 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

That’s silly, people were talking about him before the Jets ever brought him in here.  

Not really thats how negative Jet fans think here. Oh we passed on him he's gonna be great... oh Darnold is ruined because of Gase then he'll go to GB in 3 years and be great, free of Gase etc...

3 minutes ago, TNJet said:

Not really thats how negative Jet fans think here. Oh we passed on him he's gonna be great... oh Darnold is ruined because of Gase then he'll go to GB in 3 years and be great, free of Gase etc...

I’m not sure what you are trying to say, but people were talking about Matt Rhule before the Jets even fired Bowles.  

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, TNJet said:

Based on what? The NFL is not the big 12. He couldn't even win that conference Oklahoma did.

He is a head football coach and a guy that turned around two college programs in their death throws withoyt the benefit of being a big time I can recruit any player college.

He is not a gloried coordinator like our last three head coaches.

He may fail and he may succeed but I'd take my chances on a head coach who is a team and culture builder over the latest snazzy coordinator.

I'd take him over our present guy in 3 seconds.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

He is a head football coach and a guy that turned around two college programs in their death throws withoyt the benefit of being a big time I can recruit any player college.

He may fail and he may succeed but I'd take my chances on a head coach who is a team and culture builder over the latest snazzy coordinator.

Still would you consider him in the Saban/Spurrier echelon of coaches? Those guys won multiple championships and fell on their faces on NFL teams maybe not even as bad as the Giants are now.

39 minutes ago, TNJet said:

Is he better than Spurrier or Saban? They sucked in the Pros. Oh but the Giants dumpster fire plus Rhule is bound to hit pay dirt. I'm not so sure. Great college coach? Sure....great NFL coach? No one knows yet.

How do we define "great college coach"?

Did he win a National Title?  A bunch of big-conference D1 titles?  A bunch of big bowl games vs. top-end competition?

I'm not sure "great" is appropriate here.  Turning around borderline DII schools in borderline DII divisions is great, I'm sure he has alot to be proud of.  But when I think great, I don't think of this. 

He's the Coaching equivalent of small school mid-round pick.  

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, TNJet said:

Still would you consider him in the Saban/Spurrier echelon of coaches? Those guys won multiple championships and fell on their faces on NFL teams maybe not even as bad as the Giants are now.

Tom Coughlin came into the NFL and won two super bowls and took another team to one.

If your rule is 'any coach that comes from college is going to suck'  you are going to hate him and the other hot college coaches.

Just now, Beerfish said:

Tom Coughlin came into the NFL and won two super bowls and took another team to one.

If your rule is 'any coach that comes from college is going to suck'  you are going to hate him and the other hot college coaches.

Not my point. Just don't get the "Rhule is the guy for the Giants and Cowboys" hype. Dude hasn't coached a game in the pros.

15 minutes ago, TNJet said:

Not my point. Just don't get the "Rhule is the guy for the Giants and Cowboys" hype. Dude hasn't coached a game in the pros.

No guy has coached a game in the pros.....until he coaches a game in the pros.

In 1977-78 there was a guy coaching in Stanford, then he went to the 49ers.

I can understand the skepticism, I just think Rhule is going to do okay.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

No guy has coached a game in the pros.....until he coaches a game in the pros.

In 1977-78 there was a guy coaching in Stanford, then he went to the 49ers.

Plus, this franchise needed a culture change from the tired old way of hiring it’s HC’s.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

That's fine. I'm just not going to be crazy jealous or believe he's the Giants savior until I see results. Same with Gase, I wanted to watch his team before making wrong predictions. Afterwards I'm still on the fence about Gase. He did help us to a 6-2 finish, but he's always responsible for a wildcat call on 3rd and 2 that will only work behind the '93 Cowboys oline.

1 hour ago, TNJet said:

It is well documented, Saban wanted the FA Drew Brees.  His ownership over rode him and gave him Daunte Culpeppar, so he went back to college where he could do what he wanted.

It's hard to go from college to pro.   A huge part of what makes a college program is recruiting, in the NFL there is no recruiting, there's just a draft.   If your GM doesn't draft well, you have very little chance for success.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Agree 100%. If I am an owner, I am not really going to be interested in hiring the "hot" coordinator. I would be looking at coaches with a vision, and ability to lead, and the managerial skills to lead all elements of a football organization, along with being able to help build a team philosophy around the players and adjust as needed. I would very much look at ST coordinators. To me, they have a big leg up on the "cooridinators" that have really only worked one side of the ball.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

So did Chip Kelly and he failed.

52 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Plus, this franchise needed a culture change from the tired old way of hiring it’s HC’s.  

I didn’t know much about him until researching him after he took the interview last year and came away very impressed. Was apparent that he is a strong leader and was fearless in headdiving into a program in turmoil. 

Think he was the guy last year but in Jetsy fashion we decided that the big after school special lesson was that we can’t skimp on coordinators and grab no name assistants any more after Bowles. 

2 hours ago, jgb said:

We will fire Gase too late (as usual) and lose Williams next off season. If he doesn’t leave this off season, which is possible.

You think Williams is getting hired anywhere to be their HC?

I don't believe it for a second, hes blackballed IMO.  Only got the Cleveland job because Hugh needed to go and Williams has coached.  

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

You think Williams is getting hired anywhere to be their HC?

I don't believe it for a second, hes blackballed IMO.  Only got the Cleveland job because Hugh needed to go and Williams has coached.  

I think that the Jets will be the only ones to offer him a head coaching job since I do believe that Bountygate does have some lingering effects if in fact they do move on from Gase. It appears that Williams is well respected within the organization and by his players as well so this would be his only opportunity if it does arise. I don’t think Cleveland would have been a good fit for him with all the prima donnas players that are on that roster. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

It is well documented, Saban wanted the FA Drew Brees.  His ownership over rode him and gave him Daunte Culpeppar, so he went back to college where he could do what he wanted.

It's hard to go from college to pro.   A huge part of what makes a college program is recruiting, in the NFL there is no recruiting, there's just a draft.   If your GM doesn't draft well, you have very little chance for success.

Very Jetsy.

2 hours ago, TNJet said:

I think this Rhule stupid love fest is only because we passed on him. If we never interviewed him no one would see him a a shoe in winner.

This place absolutely LOVES the "coaches that got away" or the ones who were never hired, interviewed, etc.

We have a statue of Mike McCarthy somewhere in the forum gathering dust.  It's hidden behind the Matt Rhule statue next to the Kliff Kingsbury mural.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1