If Jamal Adams holds out this summer poll

T0mShane

If Jamal Adams Holds Out This Offseason/Demands to be the Highest Paid Safety in football, you’ll be...  

88 members have voted

1. 1. If Jamal Adams Holds Out Demanding to be the highest paid safety in football, you’ll be all

• Pro Jamal/Get Paid
    • Let Him Rot/F That

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

Aside from playing corner, he does what and edge rusher does and he did a good job of creati g a turnover against the Giants

He really doesn’t do what an edge rusher does.  Like, at all.  But, if you believe that, then I don’t think there’s going to be much common ground here.  But yes, pay a guy 15M for getting a turnover vs Daniel Jones.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Aside from playing corner, he does what and edge rusher does and he did a good job of creati g a turnover against the Giants

What does your defense have to give up to make your safety a pass rusher?

A pass rushing olb brings you so much more than a pass rushing safety.

You can still blitz a safety at times but not being reliant on a safety to get  a pass rush or always be the run stopper gives you much more flexibility to stop the pass.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Honestly, WTF cares about what Adams does or say off the field. He can go on a religious retreat and start worshiping Allah for all i care, as long as he shows up on Sunday and plays the way he does. 

If he holds out, he literally won't be showing up on Sundays.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Being a Swiss Army Knife isn't nearly as valuable as anyone wants to think it is.  And its certainly not worth $15M a year.  

I'd much rather have a corner for that money who is good at one thing:  Covering a WR1 or WR2.  

He makes plays that directly help the team to win. The Giants game and the Cowboys game are just two examples. The Jets need players like him.

8 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

* While creating a hole in the secondary

He's as much of a liability as a playmaker when he's constantly blitzing.  Hence why we had the # 18 pass D in the NFL per DVOA.  

I'd rather get an EDGE to be an EDGE and a cheap Safety to play Safety than pay $16M for Jamal to be an EDGE.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

S don't  cover WR unless the other team creates a missmatch. Adams has an 80 QBR against when passes are thrown to the guy he covers so I don't  get where you think he is a liability  in coverage.

Against RBs and TEs.

And the role you describe for the SS is exactly why he isn't worth $15M a year.  You don't pay someone that kind of coin to do something that isn't nearly as important as covering WR1s and WR2s.

$15M+ is CB1 money.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Being a Swiss Army Knife isn't nearly as valuable as anyone wants to think it is.  And its certainly not worth $15M a year.  

I'd much rather have a corner for that money who is good at one thing:  Covering a WR1 or WR2.  

You know, I used to think this way until I watched Jamal ball out of control this year.  Having a dude who plays the entire field at an elite level is insanely valuable.  Every week I watch team with "great CB's" get lit up.  Look at the Rams,  They went and spent 2 1st round picks on Ramsey who's career winning % is abysmal.  They're are going to pay him a massive contract and they gave up 40+ twice, 30+ twice while Jalen was there.  The thing about a corner is, you can avoid him.  You cant avoid Jamalpro because you never know where he's going to be and he's everywhere impacting the game on every level of the field. 

This epiphany made me do some research.  Get ready for your mind to be blown!!!!

7 of the highest paid safeties in the league, play for teams who made the playoffs.

8 of the highest paid corners in the league, play for teams who did not make the playoffs.

Research says, safeties are the better investment. 

Pay Jamalpro! 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

You know, I used to think this way until I watched Jamal ball out of control this year.  Having a dude who plays the entire field at an elite level is insanely valuable.  Every week I watch team with "great CB's" get lit up.  Look at the Rams,  They went and spent 2 1st round picks on Ramsey who's career winning % is abysmal.  They're are going to pay him a massive contract and they gave up 40+ twice, 30+ twice while Jalen was there.  The thing about a corner is, you can avoid him.  You cant avoid Jamalpro because you never know where he's going to be and he's everywhere impacting the game on every level of the field. 

This epiphany made me do some research.  Get ready for your mind to be blown!!!!

7 of the highest paid safeties in the league, play for teams who made the playoffs.

8 of the highest paid corners in the league, play for teams who did not make the playoffs.

Research says, safeties are the better investment. 

Pay Jamalpro! 

the problem with this analysis is that it ignores the overall talent level at other positions.  the jets had an historically bad OL this season, they need at least 3 new starters, and may let robbie walk in FA and then need a top wr as well.  

at this point in the team's rebuilding, the best use of the team's resources is to try to trade jamal and use the picks and cap room to help the offense.  b/c if the offensive line remains such a mess it won't matter how good jamall is.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I can almost guarantee all of those 7 Safeties are FS's or FS/CB hybrids.

SS Landon Collins' team had the 2nd worst record in the NFL. 

Jamal is a hybrid everything so I dont see the relevance to this point but here is the list below.  Something to take note of while you peep this, look at the teams who pay corners vs the teams who pay safeties.  It's the decades dregs of the NFL vs. the perennial playoff teams.  

Pretty cut and dry

NFL's highest paid safeties (average salary per year):

• 1. Titans safety Kevin Byard: $14.1 million
  • 2. Chiefs safety Tyrann Mathieu: $14 million
  • 3. Redskins safety Landon Collins: $14 million
  • 4. Ravens safety Earl Thomas: $13.75 million
  • 5. Dolphins safety Reshad Jones: $12 million
  • 6. Raiders safety Lamarcus Joyner: $10.5 million
  • 7. Vikings safety Harrison Smith: $10.25 million 
  • 8. Patriots safety Devin McCourty: $9.5 million
  • 9. Packers safety Adrian Amos: $9 million
  • 10. Eagles safety Malcolm Jenkins: $8.75 million

NFL's highest paid cornerbacks (average salary per year):

• 1. Dolphins cornerback Xavien Howard: $15.1 million
  • 2. Redskins cornerback Josh Norman: $15 million
  • 3. Jets cornerback Trumaine Johnson: $14.5 million 
  • 4. Vikings cornerback Xavier Rhodes: $14 million
  • 5. Cardinals cornerback Patrick Peterson: $14 million
  • 6. Bears cornerback Kyle Fuller: $14 million
  • 7. Falcons cornerback Desmond Trufant: $13.8 million
  • 8. Jaguars cornerback A.J. Bouye: $13.5 million
  • 9. Patriots cornerback Stephon Gilmore: $13 million
  • 10. Giants cornerback Janoris Jenkins: $12.5 million

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

the problem with this analysis is that it ignores the overall talent level at other positions.  the jets had an historically bad OL this season, they need at least 3 new starters, and may let robbie walk in FA and then need a top wr as well.  

at this point in the team's rebuilding, the best use of the team's resources is to try to trade jamal and use the picks and cap room to help the offense.  b/c if the offensive line remains such a mess it won't matter how good jamall is.

The Jets can get 3 new starters on the OL and pay Jamal.  People are acting like this is an impossible feat and it's not, like, at all.  It's quite easy.  Mainly because they have nobody else worth paying and I dont see them going big in FA.  So they could easily sign OL in FA and draft 2 more as well.  They're going to have roughly 80 mil in cap space.  This is easy to do if Douglas is worth his salt. 

51 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You're right, draft picks are stupid

We should trade all our draft picks for established veteran players in need of record-setting contracts at their respective positions. Hey, at least trade away all the high ones. We can keep a couple day 3 picks because we're not crazy. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

What does your defense have to give up to make your safety a pass rusher?

A pass rushing olb brings you so much more than a pass rushing safety.

You can still blitz a safety at times but not being reliant on a safety to get  a pass rush or always be the run stopper gives you much more flexibility to stop the pass.

We play Adams the way we do because we don't  have pass rushers. That doesn't  mean he sucks at everything else. Why do you think Adams can't  cover?

45 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If he holds out, he literally won't be showing up on Sundays.  

Nobody has control of that except Adams and there is no indication that he is going to hold out. All you are doing is stating something you personally hope he is going to do because you hate the guy and want to be justified. 

Just now, More Cowbell said:

We play Adams the way we do because we don't  have pass rushers. That doesn't  mean he sucks at everything else. Why do you think Adams can't  cover?

Because I've watched him the few times he is asked to cover.

What happens to 15 million a year jamal adams when we do get a pass rusher?

It was amusing this year to see people getting on Hewitt, an ilb for getting burned in coverage when he was being asked to cover slot Wrs and such often.  And why would this be?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

We should trade all our draft picks for established veteran players in need of record-setting contracts at their respective positions. Hey, at least trade away all the high ones. We can keep a couple day 3 picks because we're not crazy. 

26178866145d146e9af27394695de37d--redski

46 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

* While creating a hole in the secondary

He's as much of a liability as a playmaker when he's constantly blitzing.  Hence why we had the # 18 pass D in the NFL per DVOA.  

I'd rather get an EDGE to be an EDGE and a cheap Safety to play Safety than pay $16M for Jamal to be an EDGE.

You obviously don't  understand the position. A S blitzing is situational. If the guy he is supposed to cover (RB or TE) is staying in and blocking, how does that create a hole if he blitzed. There is much more risk on DB blitz where you have to hope the DB has clear path and gets on the QB so quickly he has no time to get the pass to the WR he just turned loose. There is no hole if Adams is taking the TE or RB and he stays in to block. 

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Because I've watched him the few times he is asked to cover.

What happens to 15 million a year jamal adams when we do get a pass rusher?

It was amusing this year to see people getting on Hewitt, an ilb for getting burned in coverage when he was being asked to cover slot Wrs and such often.  And why would this be?

Seriously, ILB are supposed th be able cover. There are some WR's you don't  want to see matched up on a LB of course but Hewitt coveri g a WR isn't  exactly isolated just to the Jets. The Pats get Edleman matched on LB's a couple of times a game. How do you think he gets wide open the way he does. 

Adams covers more than fine. Does he get burned sonetimes, yeah, just like any other player but i recently read he has an 80 QBR against. I'll take that from a S. 

53 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Against RBs and TEs.

And the role you describe for the SS is exactly why he isn't worth $15M a year.  You don't pay someone that kind of coin to do something that isn't nearly as important as covering WR1s and WR2s.

$15M+ is CB1 money.  

Sunce there is nobody else worth payong that money to on D, I have no problem paying it to him

Just now, More Cowbell said:

Sunce there is nobody else worth payong that money to on D, I have no problem paying it to him

that is the wrong logic.  you don't pay huge money to someone who isn't worth it just b/c your team sucks and you don't have other players to pay.  you use your assets to get other players who are worth that kind of money at premium positions.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

that is the wrong logic.  you don't pay huge money to someone who isn't worth it just b/c your team sucks and you don't have other players to pay.  you use your assets to get other players who are worth that kind of money at premium positions.

He is totally worth it. 

10 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

You obviously don't  understand the position. A S blitzing is situational. If the guy he is supposed to cover (RB or TE) is staying in and blocking, how does that create a hole if he blitzed. There is much more risk on DB blitz where you have to hope the DB has clear path and gets on the QB so quickly he has no time to get the pass to the WR he just turned loose. There is no hole if Adams is taking the TE or RB and he stays in to block. 

When he blitzes, a LB drops off to cover in his place. Most times, Jamal’s man is picked up by Brian Poole. Teams like the Pats and even the Bengals feasted on Jamal’s blitzes. An edge rusher blitzes and takes on a OT. A safety blitzes and it’s treated like an ILB blitzing where a back picks him up. Those are opportunity sacks  that require good timing and a bit of luck. The difference between what Adams does to get a sack and what TJ Watt goes through to get a sack isn’t comparable 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

When he blitzes, a LB drops off to cover in his place. Most times, Jamal’s man is picked up by Brian Poole. Teams like the Pats and even the Bengals feasted on Jamal’s blitzes. An edge rusher blitzes and takes on a OT. A safety blitzes and it’s treated like an ILB blitzing where a back picks him up. Those are opportunity sacks  that require good timing and a bit of luck. The difference between what Adams does to get a sack and what TJ Watt goes through to get a sack isn’t comparable 

plus if you're blitzing so much you will get some sacks.  the jets could blitz burgess a lot and he'd get 6-7 sacks on the season.  they could blitz cashman and he'd get sacks b/c of his speed.  

the best safeties are very good in coverage too, and that's where adams falls short.  he's maxed out physically, he's a bit smallish, does not have elite speed or long arms.  he gets beat deep when he plays back there.  he's what everyone thought jabril peppers would be in the pros - a safety who plays linebacker to mask deficiencies in coverage.  players like jamal are valuable but not irreplaceable.  you can have anyone blitz, but pay the ones who can also play centerfield.

• Upvote 1

The confidence level in Joe Douglas must be insanely low if you all truly think he's not capable of signing an All-Pro to an extension while building the rest of the team around Sam Darnold.  He has 80 mil in cap space and 4 picks in the top 80.  Did we upgrade at GM or are we dealing with Big Mac all over again?  Because straight up, that's not even a remotely challenging situation for a GM with a pubic hair of talent and you dudes are making it out like it's the end of the Jets. 

If Joe Douglas cant do both at once, guess what?  None of this sh*t matters anyway because nothing has changed at the position that matters most to the Jets in the front office.

And I'm not even against trading Jamal for the right compensation, I'm just saying, this idea you cant do both at once is preposterous. 

9 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

plus if you're blitzing so much you will get some sacks.  the jets could blitz burgess a lot and he'd get 6-7 sacks on the season.  they could blitz cashman and he'd get sacks b/c of his speed.  

the best safeties are very good in coverage too, and that's where adams falls short.  he's maxed out physically, he's a bit smallish, does not have elite speed or long arms.  he gets beat deep when he plays back there.  he's what everyone thought jabril peppers would be in the pros - a safety who plays linebacker to mask deficiencies in coverage.  players like jamal are valuable but not irreplaceable.  you can have anyone blitz, but pay the ones who can also play centerfield.

Crazy how such a terrible Football player is an All-Pro.