Sam needs to be turned loose next season

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I really don't  know what you mean by beating the Bills twice, we lost the forst game and the second game they rested the starters after the forst qrt., Raiders sucked this season, so did the Steelers. 

We had the Bills beat in Week 1 and we beat them in Week 17. 

The Jets put an XFL roster on the field every week.  Beating any NFL team would have been a defining moment.  As the record shows, we were worse than the Bengals.  Yet we won 6 of our last 8 games. 

Gase is going to do well here.  I'm looking forward to his extension.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

In every instance, they had the superior rosters and were favored to beat us easily. 

You can’t cry about losing the Bengals and Dolphins games and not be proud of the wins against the Cowboys, Raiders, Steelers, and Bills (twice). 

SAR I

The Bengals, almost to a man, and although winless at that point in the season, had a better roster than the 2019 Maccagnans.  They played many tough teams very close before getting their first win against the Jets.

Flores got Miami playing way way better, they actually knocked New England out of the top perch in the division last week of the season.

Tired of hearing “they lost to these 2 winless teams” incessantly.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

The Bengals, almost to a man, and although winless at that point in the season, had a better roster than the 2019 Maccagnans.  They played many tough teams very close before getting their first win against the Jets.

Flores got Miami playing way way better, they actually knocked New England out of the top perch in the division last week of the season.

Bingo.

Oh, and if they felt it was a Gase mandate to beat the Bengals and the Dolphins that's quite interesting since that means they would have us on an 8-1 run to finish the season and they're the same people who say that Gase sucks and could never do such a thing!

Ha ha ha ha.  Doesn't get much better than that.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

What worked? We beat up a buch of crappy teams. 

Come on. I hear ya but You do realize that we WERE a crappy team right? lol  We were 1-7 for God's sake. We had more starters out than every team we played barring the week 17 game where the Bills rested their starters, and it was still close.  Beating those teams showed that we are at least a step up from them. Not much but its not like we weren't in the toilet when we beat them. It's still an accomplishment for that team to beat anyone. hahaha 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Xtina said:

The Seahawks had their top three rb’s all on IR 

Pete Carroll will be inducted into both the NFL Hall Of Fame and the NCAA Hall Of Fame and Russell Wilson is a franchise quarterback in his prime.  And yet all those injuries cost them the division, made them struggle in the playoffs, and had them eliminated.

Proof positive that Adam Gase, who is not a Hall Of Fame head coach, and Sam Darnold, who is a 22 year old kid, did an exceptional job going 6-2 down the stretch.  The Seahawks, they went 1-3 the last month of the season.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

It's pretty obvious he was being told not to run, probably because of lingering concern about his spleen.

And, don't forget, we didn't have a backup quarterback.  Simean went down, Darnold was the only thing we had between 6-2 and 0-8.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Watching Watson, Mahomes, Wilson, even Rogers to an extent, all these QB's run. For yards. Sam is a mobile QB. He needs to do this also. 

I hope Gase isn't going to try to make him a drop back QB. 

Dude what are worried about you saw the impressive gameplan Gase put together. Those guys and all those points are nothing a real offense does

2 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Come on. I hear ya but You do realize that we WERE a crappy team right? lol  We were 1-7 for God's sake. We had more starters out than every team we played barring the week 17 game where the Bills rested their starters, and it was still close.  Beating those teams showed that we are at least a step up from them. Not much but its not like we weren't in the toilet when we beat them. It's still an accomplishment for that team to beat anyone. hahaha 

And the Jets have a history of collapsing as soon as the going gets rough.  We're the team that loses two in a row and it spirals to six in a row with guys getting caught speeding with juveniles in the car, smoking weed, doing roids, bailing on $500 commitments, punching each other, sending dick pics, bedding 16 year old girls.....and those are just the ones I remember.  Good Lord, we lead the league in head coaches who can't control the locker room.

Until now.  Culture restored.  Accountability apparent.  Focus on winning.  Team sticking together through adversity.  Gase did a great job in these important areas.

SAR I

• Sympathy 1

59 minutes ago, SAR I said:

One of the end results of having a bad OL, bad WR's, and no rushing attack is that the lanes that Darnold would be running through would be filled with land mines and bayonets.  An OL that can pancake LB's, WR's who can block, and a ground attack that keeps LB's at bay would lead to a safe passage for Darnold to run 3x a game.

Again, judging anything with a team this bereft of offensive talent and so injured is hard to do. 

SAR I

Yeah tough to judge a team.... No bro.

You can def judge this team. A good coach would have given them a gameplan to win. Gase never did. He is a bad coach

• WTF? 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Darnold’s best games were the ones where he’d take off and run. His worst games were the ones where he was short-circuiting and didn’t recognize scrambling as an option that was available to him. That speaks to a lack of experience at QB, and flimsy confidence. For the good of the franchise, they need to set Darnold up with Rihanna for a weekend, or at least someone like Selena Gomez, if only to put some hair on his chest 

Can you imaging the quality *girls* that Sam turns down. QB in NYC doesn't get any better.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Dude what are worried about you saw the impressive gameplan Gase put together. Those guys and all those points are nothing a real offense does

We did score 34 pts 3 weeks in a row there. That's something.    I'm not a Gase guy at all, but calling it realistically is important. There were moments that we can legitimately build on. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SAR I said:

Cowboys, Raiders, Steelers, and Bills were not crappy teams when we played them. 

6-2 second half is a great accomplishment, one of the best coaching jobs in team history. 

SAR I

Unfortunately the 1-7 1st half was one of the worst coaching jobs.

• Sympathy 1

14 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Watching Watson, Mahomes, Wilson, even Rogers to an extent, all these QB's run. For yards. Sam is a mobile QB. He needs to do this also. 

I hope Gase isn't going to try to make him a drop back QB. 

I'd rather give him protection and surrounding talent so he can throw the ball. 

Wilson runs the ball because of Oline breakdowns, he's also top 3 minimum most deadly accurate passer in the league no matter the range, and throws the best deep ball in terms of trajectory in the league. Mahomes is a physically gifted individual. There is really nothing in Mahomes game that I say "Yeah, Darnold can do that", and that's not a knock on Darnold, that's just how savage Mahomes is. Rodgers is arguably the greatest QB to ever don an NFL Jersey, Watson is a legit 2nd tier, top 10 QB in this league and has help from arguably the best receiver in the league. If anything, we need to replicate what the Texans have done for Watson. Hopkins was already there, but they made sure to add to the Oline. Laremy Tunsil was guy they traded for leading up to this season, with many folks feeling like the Texans jumped out the window giving up two 1st rounders and a 2nd. With that said,  Tunsil was a 1st team All-Pro for them. 

You know why we know what Watson can do? It's because they've provided talent around him in order to open up his game/ability. 

They traded for Carlos Hyde this season also, and Hyde ended up having his 1st 1,000 yard season.  They traded for Duke Johnson this season, and he had his most productive season as a rusher with 410 yards rushing as a back up and added another 410 yards in the passing game. 

Adding the right talent and not trying to get guys to conform to a scheme that they may not be good at (Adam Gase) is a step in the right direction. Then we'll be able to see Darnold's true traits, which seems more like a passer than a runner. Sure, he can run, but when looking at his brightest plays it's always been these sort of "almost impossible" passes that makes you say "That's why you drafted him". 

We cant unleash him until we build a good football team. We just dont have that right now. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, GreenFish said:

Listening to Gase, he wants Darnold to make his 3rd read from within the pocket and not roll out as much. He thought Darnold needed to be more patient when going through his reads. Friction I say!

This is correct.  
IMO Sam’s biggest strength in year one was rolling out and making things happen.  For some reason Gase decided to stop his best asset.  I think he wants everyone to be Peyton. 

But as CJ says. He’s coaching to where the league is going - lol. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, SAR I said:

We had the Bills beat in Week 1 and we beat them in Week 17. 

The Jets put an XFL roster on the field every week.  Beating any NFL team would have been a defining moment.  As the record shows, we were worse than the Bengals.  Yet we won 6 of our last 8 games. 

Gase is going to do well here.  I'm looking forward to his extension.

SAR I

Wr lost to the Bills inbthebforst game and played backups iin tje second. The teams we beat were bad teams except the cowboys

End of story. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

It's  better than losing but not much of an accomplishment.  I know we weren't  good, that os may point.

55 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I'd rather give him protection and surrounding talent so he can throw the ball. 

Wilson runs the ball because of Oline breakdowns, he's also top 3 minimum most deadly accurate passer in the league no matter the range, and throws the best deep ball in terms of trajectory in the league. Mahomes is a physically gifted individual. There is really nothing in Mahomes game that I say "Yeah, Darnold can do that", and that's not a knock on Darnold, that's just how savage Mahomes is. Rodgers is arguably the greatest QB to ever don an NFL Jersey, Watson is a legit 2nd tier, top 10 QB in this league and has help from arguably the best receiver in the league. If anything, we need to replicate what the Texans have done for Mahomes. Hopkins was already there, but they made sure to add to the Oline. Laremy Tunsil was guy they traded for leading up to this season, with many folks feeling like the Texans jumped out the window giving up two 1st rounders and a 2nd. With that said,  Tunsil was a 1st team All-Pro for them. 

You know why we know what Watson can do? It's because they've provided talent around him in order to open up his game/ability. 

They traded for Carlos Hyde this season also, and Hyde ended up having his 1st 1,000 yard season.  They traded for Duke Johnson this season, and he had his most productive season as a rusher with 410 yards rushing as a back up and added another 410 yards in the passing game. 

Adding the right talent and not trying to get guys to conform to a scheme that they may not be good at (Adam Gase) is a step in the right direction. Then we'll be able to see Darnold's true traits, which seems more like a passer than a runner. Sure, he can run when when looking at his brightest plays it's always been these sort of "almost impossible" passes that makes you say "That's why you drafted him". 

We cant unleash him until we build a good football team. We just dont have that right now. 

I didn't  say we don't  build a team, i ssid he needs to take the yards when they are there. He looks to pass when there is a sea of grass in front of him, he just should tuck and run. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I didn't  say we don't  build a team, i ssid he needs to take the yards when they are there. He looks to pass when there is a sea of grass in front of him, he just should tuck and run. 

Could have been a directive from the team’s medical staff, given what he was going through earlier in the year.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

The Bengals were and are thebworst team in the NFL and the Jets managed to lose. This isn't  because Sam didn't  run, it was becaise we couldn't  pass protect. Their DL was running over our OL. The Pats against the Fins was probably surprising to everyone that have not paid attention to the Pats this year and last. The same thing happened in 2018. Brady got wore out towards the end of the season and was less effective. They lost becaise they have an old QB more than the Fins are a good team. 

8 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Yeah tough to judge a team.... No bro.

You can def judge this team. A good coach would have given them a gameplan to win. Gase never did. He is a bad coach

Ah, a "gameplan to win".  Which games should we have won that we didn't because of a "Gase gameplan problem".  Be specific.  Here, cut and paste this and put a "W" next to the games we should have won.  Thanks.

Bills
Browns
Patriots
Eagles
Cowboys (W)
Patriots
Jaguars
Dolphins
Giants (W)
Redskins (W)
Raiders (W)
Bengals
Dolphins (W)
Ravens
Steelers (W)
Bills (W)

SAR I

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, SAR I said:

Pete Carroll will be inducted into both the NFL Hall Of Fame and the NCAA Hall Of Fame and Russell Wilson is a franchise quarterback in his prime.  And yet all those injuries cost them the division, made them struggle in the playoffs, and had them eliminated.

Proof positive that Adam Gase, who is not a Hall Of Fame head coach, and Sam Darnold, who is a 22 year old kid, did an exceptional job going 6-2 down the stretch.  The Seahawks, they went 1-3 the last month of the season.

SAR I

If Seattle played the Raiders, Giants, Bengals, Dolphins and Steelers at the end of the Season, they would have run the table. During the Reg season Seattle  beat teams like the Eagles, Vikes, SF, and those stingy Bengals and Steelers. They won 11 games. 

7 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

That's literally the area where I'm giving Gase and the coaching staff the most credit. I still don't feel all that confident in his game planning and being able to out coach the other sideline yet. But the fact that this team held it together and not only didn't implode, but finished 6-2 is utterly amazing. I don't buy the narrative about the competition being weak.  We were decimated at 1-7 and had every excuse in the world to pack it in. Especially being the Jets.  

I don't know if more credit goes to Gregg Williams than Gase, but either way it was damn near miraculous. No matter who we played. 

Bravo.  If a head coach is half strategy and half leadership, this tough season has shown us that Gase gets an A+ for leadership.  Yes, the jury is still out on strategy, but damn its good to know that we have a good culture now.  It's good to know we have a locker room that doesn't quit in the face of adversity and can prop each other up.  Some of this year's wins, especially late in the season, we put 3 guys in the secondary I didn't even know were on the team, we had some fourth string tight end making big catches, everyone contributed. 

I'm telling you, that's half the battle-  and let's be real-  that's the toughest part to get in a coach.  We've had brilliant X and O guys who were proven elsewhere and couldn't handle adversity.  Groh, Edwards, Mangini, Ryan, Bowles.  These guys were outstanding coordinators and assistants beloved by some of the biggest names in the sport.  And they had zero control over the locker room when things got rough and rebuilding/patience/improvisation was required.  Gase blows these guys away in that regard.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, SAR I said:

And the Jets have a history of collapsing as soon as the going gets rough.  We're the team that loses two in a row and it spirals to six in a row with guys getting caught speeding with juveniles in the car, smoking weed, doing roids, bailing on $500 commitments, punching each other, sending dick pics, bedding 16 year old girls.....and those are just the ones I remember.  Good Lord, we lead the league in head coaches who can't control the locker room.

Until now.  Culture restored.  Accountability apparent.  Focus on winning.  Team sticking together through adversity.  Gase did a great job in these important areas.

SAR I

For Gods sake, it was one year. Do you call Sam running around with someone who gave him mono control? The fact is we have nobody onnthis team whobfeels entitled. That is more why the lockeroon was quiet than anything. This team has horrible talent. 

7 hours ago, DJF71 said:

Unfortunately the 1-7 1st half was one of the worst coaching jobs.

No Darnold.  No Enunwa.  No Herndon.  The OL in shambles.  No running game.  Some guy named Luke Falk who today bags groceries.  A kicker so bad we could have dressed his mother instead.  Games against the likes of Buffalo, Dallas, Philadelphia, and New England twice.

Vince Lombardi couldn't have done any better than 1-7.  It wasn't coaching.  Gase proved that with his QB recovering and a few OL pieces back in place we were good enough to go 6-2 down the stretch.  A bad coach follows 1-7 with 2-6.  Gase did a great job in November and December, it's not like he was an idiot in September and October. 

I'm going to take a guess that back in August you had the Jets at 7-9 with 9-7 as our ceiling like every other rational person who follows the NFL.  Well, completely injured you got your 7-9 anyway.  So what are you complaining about?  What, the 6-2 finish makes you think we were a 12-4 team despite a third string quarterback and another stricken with mono for the first month?  What are you upset about?

SAR I

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

Wr lost to the Bills inbthebforst game and played backups iin tje second. The teams we beat were bad teams except the cowboys

End of story. 

Browns
Browns
Bengals
Bengals
Steelers
Steelers
Jets
Dolphins
Rams
Cardinals

Those are 10 of the games on the Baltimore Ravens schedule this year.  "The teams they played to get the #1 seed were bad teams".  And then they got blown out in their one-and-done playoff game.  So Harbaugh should be FIRED, yes?  He must be a bad coach, right?

SAR I

• Upvote 1

End of story. 

29 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

The Bengals were and are thebworst team in the NFL and the Jets managed to lose.

It's  better than losing but not much of an accomplishment.  I know we weren't  good, that os may point.

Take the time to write proper English and spell correctly or don't expect any responses.

For someone who holds our head coach to such a high standard, you are a crappy poster who through his writing displays a culture of misspelling and disrespect.

SAR I

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Bravo.  If a head coach is half strategy and half leadership, this tough season has shown us that Gase gets an A+ for leadership.  Yes, the jury is still out on strategy, but damn its good to know that we have a good culture now.  It's good to know we have a locker room that doesn't quit in the face of adversity and can prop each other up.  Some of this year's wins, especially late in the season, we put 3 guys in the secondary I didn't even know were on the team, we had some fourth string tight end making big catches, everyone contributed. 

I'm telling you, that's half the battle-  and let's be real-  that's the toughest part to get in a coach.  We've had brilliant X and O guys who were proven elsewhere and couldn't handle adversity.  Groh, Edwards, Mangini, Ryan, Bowles.  These guys were outstanding coordinators and assistants beloved by some of the biggest names in the sport.  And they had zero control over the locker room when things got rough and rebuilding/patience was required.  Gase blows these guys away in that regard.

SAR I

I have no idea where you get this from. Gase has a rep for driving good players off teams (Landry and Drake) and has a losing career record

What culture are you talking about, a team that gets close but doesn't  get over the line is not the kind of culture you want, you want a culture of winning, not close to winning. We lost with an easy schedule. You asked what teams we lost to that we should have beaten? Fins, Bengals and the Bills, probably the Browns as well. They were teams tjat good teams beat. I don't  want to hear about injuries becaise you have been banging the drum that the Jets win insoite of injuries. You can't have it both ways. 

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Browns
Browns
Bengals
Bengals
Steelers
Steelers
Jets
Dolphins
Rams
Cardinals

Those are 10 of the games on the Baltimore Ravens schedule this year.  "The teams they played to get the #1 seed were bad teams".  And then they got blown out in their one-and-done playoff game.  So Harbaugh should be FIRED, yes?  He must be a bad coach, right?

SAR I

So what, thevPats have been playing the Jets, Fins, and Bills 2 times each every year. Did that make them a bad team all these years?

The problem with the tread is simple.

We're discussing this 7-9 record with 6-2 down the stretch - bad teams or not this is the NFL and with the Jets talent and injuries it is somewhat impressive.

The problem is Gase still stinks - it is well known that Gase has NOTHING to do with the defense, he's even said so himself.  The reasons this team won those games was because of the defense. Talk to me about Greg Williams and how he made Lemonade out of Lemons - I'll agree 100%....

But there is no way around the fact that the Jets were literally the worst offense in the NFL...6-2 or not, if you produce the worst offense in the entire league you shouldn't be coaching in the league - especially considering the awful teams the Jets played.  The fact that Gase has now put up the worst offense in the league two years in a row is very scary.