Larry Fitzgerald returning for his 17th season

King P

The real question, and this has (and is) being discussed heavily in the Draft Forum (which everyone should visit by the way) is what the strategy becomes at #11 if Wirfs, Thomas, Wills, Jeudy and Lamb are all gone when the Jets are on the clock.  My preference would be to trade back a few spots and try to get another team's 2nd round pick.  If the Jets are forced to stick-n-pick because they don't like the trade down offers (similar to what may have happened at #3 last year) then we're looking at guys like WR Tee Higgins, Henry Ruggs or that second tier of OTs like Mehki Becton, Prince Wanogho, Austin Jackson, etc.

We haven't even had the Combine yet and guys will move around following that (it always happens) but my concern right now is that if things stay the same then Jets are sitting in a bit of a gap where their favorite targets have all been drafted and where it's a little too early to dive into the next group of guys that are positions they need (OT, WR, etc.).

The other possibility, and this won't go over well around here, is that the best available player at #11 turns out to be a defender at either Edge (Espensa, Gross-Matos, etc.) or CB.  The JN server would literally melt down if the Jets go Defense with their 1st round pick. lol

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

No guarantee that Fitz staying another year makes them shy away from picking an elite WR in the 1st round.  

It doesn't guarantee it, but it definitely helps sway them towards OL.

If Fitz retires, you have a bigger hole at WR. With Fitz there, you can afford to take a WR in the mid rounds. 

It depends on how they view the prospects. If their choosing between an OL and WR, if they view them evenly then you'd think they'd go with the OL

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

The real question, and this has (and is) being discussed heavily in the Draft Forum (which everyone should visit by the way) is what the strategy becomes at #11 if Wirfs, Thomas, Wills, Jeudy and Lamb are all gone when the Jets are on the clock.  My preference would be to trade back a few spots and try to get another team's 2nd round pick.  If the Jets are forced to stick-n-pick because they don't like the trade down offers (similar to what may have happened at #3 last year) then we're looking at guys like WR Tee Higgins, Henry Ruggs or that second tier of OTs like Mehki Becton, Prince Wanogho, Austin Jackson, etc.

We haven't even had the Combine yet and guys will move around following that (it always happens) but my concern right now is that if things stay the same then Jets are sitting in a bit of a gap where their favorite targets have all been drafted and where it's a little too early to dive into the next group of guys that are positions they need (OT, WR, etc.).

The other possibility, and this won't go over well around here, is that the best available player at #11 turns out to be a defender at either Edge (Espensa, Gross-Matos, etc.) or CB.  The JN server would literally melt down if the Jets go Defense with their 1st round pick. lol

In that situation, I'd prefer to trade back as well. But that's not guaranteed. If we stay put, I'd go with Tee Higgins or Mekhi Becton.

JN definitely would melt down if we went defense. I would most likely have a problem with it as I do not see the value at 11. Only person that I'd be fine with is Okudah, but there's no way he'll be on the board when we pick. Espensa is very good, but he's more of a 4-3 DE. If we're still running a 3-4, he's not a fit

• Upvote 1

Hate him. Always been a dirty player and one of the league's true scumbags. Just a bad guy, and honestly so overrated -- McCown, Warner, and Leinart carried him. If we drafted him he wouldn't have been good because Jets. Maybe a little better stats than McCareins, but not by that much because Fitz wasn't as fast. Perhaps he'd be better if he trained all offseason instead of traveling all over the world with the fans' money.

Just because we're desperate I could get on board with picking him up as a 5th/emergency receiver, if we can get him for the league minimum with no up front bonus, in case we're only able to draft two WRs this year.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

That’s usually a pipe dream. Hopefully someone we really like is available.

The thesis would have to be that if EVERYONE the Jets were targeting was gone by #11 then those WRs and OTs being taken earlier would push some other Top 10 guys lower.  Those may be guys the Jets aren't very interested in (DL Brown, LB Simmons, the QBs like Tua, etc.).  And, if a team sitting behind the Jets in that 12-17 range now sees a player within reach that they didn't think would make it outside the Top 10 then the Jets have a potential trade partner.  Who knows!?!?

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Forgetting the draft implications for a moment, 17 seasons for a WR is absolutely unreal, good for Fitz.  Is there anyone else other than Rice (20 seasons) that have put together such a crazy long career at the position?

Outside of  Rice & Terrell Owens, I can't think of anybody else who put together 15+ years of quality receiving like Larry has

14 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

The thesis would have to be that if EVERYONE the Jets were targeting was gone by #11 then those WRs and OTs being taken earlier would push other some Top 10 guys lower.  Those may be guys the Jets aren't very interested in (DL Brown, LB Simmons, the QBs like Tua, etc.).  And, if a team sitting behind the Jets in that 12-17 range now sees a player within reach that they didn't think would make it outside the Top 10 then the Jets have a potential trade partner.  Who knows!?!?

I want one of the top 3 OTs, Preferably Thomas. If your scenario comes to pass I would absolutely try to trade down. My fall back is Simmons. Let the wailing and gnashing of teeth begin!

40 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Forgetting the draft implications for a moment, 17 seasons for a WR is absolutely unreal, good for Fitz.  Is there anyone else other than Rice (20 seasons) that have put together such a crazy long career at the position?

Terrell Owens.  Tim Brown came close, but he didn't have the production early on.   No one that I know of did it for just one team though.

Tony Gonzalez (tight end) also played for 17 years, and had 83 receptions in his final season at age 37.

44 minutes ago, King P said:

Outside of  Rice & Terrell Owens, I can't think of anybody else who put together 15+ years of quality receiving like Larry has

Imagine if he had someone close to a Montana or Young throwing to him for the majority of his career. Fitzgerald has played with some of the worst dregs of the QB rank the NFL has seen over the past 7 years or so. He'd have just about lapped the field by now. I really wish we had drafted him out of Pitt. Loved his game then and now. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, King P said:

First off, I'm happy to see Fitz still playing. He's always been 1 of my favorite WRs. Very underrated and underappreciated IMO.

Now how this affects us: Arizona is ahead of us in the draft. There is alot of talk over whether they will go O-Line or WR. Mind you, their O-Line might be worse than ours. With Fitz coming back, you have to think they go OL. It's a no brainer.

I know the majority of JN wants us to go O-Line, but I think you guys need to come to terms with the possibility that we don't go OL in the 1st.

- Giants

- Cardinals

- Jaguars

- Browns

All those 4 need O-Line help too, and it's realistic that 3 of the 4 go OL with their 1st pick.

Like I've said, I'm all for drafting OL, but I'm not going to take the 4th/5th best OL available just for the sake of it. If Jeudy or Lamb (most likely the latter) are available, you take them and run. Use Day 2 and 3 to load up on OL

EXCELLENT!!!!!... ALWAYS GREAT to see a 1st Ballot HOF'er Play Exceptionally Well to the last... He IS A Great Role Model As Well.... He Should be The Face of The NFL... I've been watching him play since his Pitt days... hasn't changed a bit... has Always a consummate professional. 

• Upvote 2

My brother lived in Scottsdale & Larry was dating a chick who lived in the same condo complex. He said the guy is so cool, nice, and just ordinary when he would see him he'd never give into his fan idol shtick. My brother said he calmly walk by, say hello, how's your day man & keep strolling. Class act all the way. 

My brother also said the 1st time he saw him he had no idea who he was but inside his head was thinking, damn that dude is somebody, lol.

1 hour ago, ChuckkieB said:

No guarantee that Fitz staying another year makes them shy away from picking an elite WR in the 1st round.  

Exactly what I was thinking.  The Cardinals know he won't play forever.  AZ is always adding new WRs; they've taken 8 in the last 6 drafts:

• 2019:  Andy Isabella - UMASS (Rd 2)
  • 2019:  Hakeem Butler - Iowa St (Rd 4)
  • 2019:  KeeSean Johnson - Fresno St (Rd 6)
  • 2018:  Christian Kirk - Texas A&M (Rd 2)
  • 2017:  Chad Williams - Grambling St (Rd 3) 
  • 2015:  JJ Nelson - UAB (Rd 5)
  • 2014:  John Brown - Pittsburg St (Rd 3)
  • 2014:  Walt Powell - Murray St (Rd 6)
  • Sympathy 1

22 minutes ago, shevys said:

Imagine if he had someone close to a Montana or Young throwing to him for the majority of his career. Fitzgerald has played with some of the worst dregs of the QB rank the NFL has seen over the past 7 years or so. He'd have just about lapped the field by now. I really wish we had drafted him out of Pitt. Loved his game then and now. 

I also wish we had drafted him

I don't think that would have helped him having the worst dregs throwing to him.

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

The thesis would have to be that if EVERYONE the Jets were targeting was gone by #11 then those WRs and OTs being taken earlier would push other some Top 10 guys lower.  Those may be guys the Jets aren't very interested in (DL Brown, LB Simmons, the QBs like Tua, etc.).  And, if a team sitting behind the Jets in that 12-17 range now sees a player within reach that they didn't think would make it outside the Top 10 then the Jets have a potential trade partner.  Who knows!?!?

Yeah every year there are players labeled as "locks" to be off the board by #3, #6, #10, whatever. And every year they fall. This time 2 years ago Rosen was a lock to get taken no later than 2nd overall. No shortage of examples.

There'll be an OT or WR (if not at least one of each) that will be there at #11. 

And as you say, if not, then there'll be someone interested in moving up to #11. Not every other team's wish list is limited to the same needs as the Jets. 

• Upvote 1