Senior Bowl Recaps

KRL

These notes are from Pro Football Network staff.  

South Team Notes:  

Collin Johnson WR Texas

I’m not sure a receiver really stunned people more today than Johnson. A lot of people were skeptical of Johnson’s ability as a route-runner, but he wowed in drills with his routes and separation ability. I wrote about him as a potential riser as a prototypical H/W/S receiver, and he certainly showed off today. He had a rep against Pitt CB Dane Jackson that had the stadium wowed. A phenomenal start for him.

Juan Jennings WR Tennessee:

Jennings was physical all day. He wasn’t particularly great in drills but flashed impressive physicality throughout his routes. He was overall up and down, but didn’t really showcase a skill set outside of what he already has on tape.

Devin Duvernay WR Texas:

Duvernay came in as one of my favorite players in this class, but really struggled today. He’s a speedy target and after the catch plays like a running back. However, his stiffness showed up in drills today, and he really struggled catching the ball today, which surprised me because his hands were not an issue at all on his tape

Lloyd Cushenberry IOL LSU:

Cushenberry was the best overall offensive lineman I watched today. He was the only person who could manage a stop against Javon Kinlaw in 1on1s. He was dominant from the get go and his stock is rising.

Justin Herbert QB Oregon:

Herbert looked phenomenal on Tuesday displaying all the physical tools and leadership skills necessary for the next level.  He was right on the money with many of his throws and his pass placement was off the charts.  He made plays in and out of the pocket, displayed a next level arm and great athleticism.  His incomplete passes were more about drops by receivers rather than missed throws on his part.  And when his receivers dropped a pass Herbert was there to take charge.  Terrific day by the Oregon quarterback.

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

North Team notes:

Chase Claypool WR Notre Dame:

Claypool had a standout day today, pleasantly surprising me. He isn’t the fastest guy but he knows how to use his 6’4 frame well and looked more fluid in drills than his Notre Dame tape suggested. A strong opening day for him. Claypool said the Steelers were looking to meet with him.

Antonio Gandy-Golden WR Liberty:

Gandy-Golden was about what we expected coming into this week. I’ve seen a few people say he had a great day, but to me he was just average and didn’t up his stock in any way. We knew he could separate physically and could use his size to his advantage, which he did today. He didn’t show signs of improvement in any other areas that were bigger concerns, such as long speed or beating press. He did show up well in the run blocking drills the North ran in practice, however. Just felt like he didn’t really elevate his stock in a positive direction on opening day

KJ Hill WR OSU:

Hill was one of the biggest winners of the day, in my opinion. His tape didn’t suggest a great athletic profile nor an ability to really play outside but he looked surprisingly fluid and showed off that he could take reps outside. Albeit, in a limited sample size. He sent numerous DBs to the dirt and skyrocketed his stock.

Denzel Mims WR Baylor:

Mims came in as my highest-ranked receiver in the Senior Bowl and did not disappoint. He dominated 1 on 1s all day long and showed off in the 7 on 7s. I thought he was the most impressive finisher and showed off his explosiveness in the drills. Separated against almost every DB he went off against. He had his issues with drops during the regular season but he caught every pass I saw go his way in the drills, which is encouraging for that problem being fixed at the next level.

Michael Pittman WR USC:

Pittman had a good day to open the practice session. He dusted Nebraska’s Lamar Jackson to kick things off, and then made Wake Forest’s CB Essang Bassey fall to the dirt after he toasted him off of the line of scrimmage. There were plenty of concerns about Pittman’s agility and speed, but he answered those concerns well today. He only caught about half of his targets however, which is more drops than he had on the season.

Nick Harris C Washington:

Harris was smaller than I had realized, but he was able to his own very well today. His technique was excellent and he showed an anchor you wouldn’t expect from someone his size. Harris is a top 50 player, and played like it.

Charlie Heck OT North Carolina:

Heck was the winner of the weigh in. His length was evident and his frame is ideal. He was strong in individual drills and competed well in the 1 on 1s. Heck has legit starting tackle upside, and could be a steal on Day 3.

Josh Jones OT Houston:

Josh Jones is the best lineman in Mobile this week. His physical abilities are off the charts, and he was a winner of the weigh-ins this morning. He did not seem to carry any bad weight. Jones wasn’t as dominant as I wanted him to be today, but he did nothing to damage his draft stock.

Being on vacation out of the country, I have not been able to follow anything beyond what Twitter has told me. Disappointed to hear that Duvernay has been stiffer than a board. Not surprised Mims is capitalizing, or Claypool. I didn’t know much about this defensive end from South Carolina Kinlaw, please turn a lot of heads it looks like as well

Everybody’s talking about Jefferson though. As a gator fan, I’ve always appreciated his game, but I’ll admit I didn’t expect him to stand out as much as he did that’s far.

Also Colin Johnson is back

8 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The Jets are going to get some very good players with our 2nd and 3rd rounders.  ?

(If Douglas can draft at all, in the least.)

I'm thinking the same thing.  There just seems to be a ton of Top 75-ish talent that's right in the wheelhouse of Jets needs.

Is it me or does this seem to be a really phenomenal OLine draft up and down, early and late, outside (OT) and possibly even inside (C, OG)?  That 3rd round might be a sweet spot to grab a C or OG.  If the Jets can find a way to go OT, WR, Edge and C/OG with their first 4 picks it would be a wet dream.

Day 2 South.  
OFFENSIVE LINE

Best player: Lloyd Cushenberry, LSU

No interior offensive lineman has helped their draft stock more this week than LSU center Lloyd Cushenberry III. In a center class that lacks a consensus top prospect, Cushenberry has made a strong case to be that player with back-to-back strong performances in Mobile. He is the only interior offensive lineman so far to have defeated South Carolina’s Javon Kinlaw in a one-on-one rep. When you add what he’s done throughout practice this week with his balance and play strength as a blocker to his terrific 2019 tape, don’t be surprised if his name starts populating at the end of first-round mock drafts.

PASS CATCHERS

Best player: Collin Johnson, Texas

We knew coming into this game that Collin Johnson was a Herculean-sized wide receiver prospect, but after watching the first two South team practices, I realized I did not give him enough credit for his fluidity and nuanced route-running skills. His combination of play strength and technically-advanced release package at the line of scrimmage made it difficult for cornerbacks to stay attached to his hip pocket in press man coverage Wednesday. Johnson has done exactly what he’s needed to do this week, and that’s to show he could separate consistently against man coverage.

11 hours ago, RobR said:

Collin Johnson and your boy Claypool unless he switches positions will not be good at the NFL level. Remember Patrick Turner? They're the same player.

Claypool could be Boldin 2.0 and at the least a more physically gifted Enunwa . A physical player with strong hands, he high points the ball and takes full advantage of that 6'4" frame in the red zone. Teammates love him.

Day 2 North 
PASS CATCHERS

Best player: Denzel Mims, Baylor

There were a lot of wins on the sheet for Mims including the rep above. But we already knew that about Mims. He's a dominant catch point receiver despite the smaller hands and regularly makes acrobatic, concentration catches through contact that most receivers only dream about.

What he has shown is separation ability over the last few days, and it’s been better than many experienced after viewing his tape. Mims wins on downfield routes because he has a clean release at the line of scrimmage, explosive first steps to generate a downfield stack and an inherent knack for ball-tracking early maintaining leverage. He knows just the right speed to finish his route so that he can stay between the corner and the football.

OFFENSIVE LINE

Best player: Jonah Jackson, Ohio State

Jonah Jackson is a tank and a half. One of the most fun players to watch in the one-on-one and drill sessions, Jackson regularly wrenched open gaps for his running backs across the course of the day; utilizing some excellent phone booth power and intentional footwork to generate and finish his angles. The biggest concern with Jackson at this stage is mobility as the Rutgers transfer doesn't work too well on the hoof. But today, his angles climbing into the second level were true, and he created rushing lanes on multiple combo blocks.

Jackson projects like a scheme-specific guy for sure, but Day 2 isn't out of the range of possibilities.

More on Mims from yesterday.  

Denzel Mims/WR/Baylor: Mims was arguably the best player on the North team today. He was uncoverable all day long. He separated with explosiveness, fluidity, and physicality and showed off an impressive catch radius during one-on-ones. He had scouts in the stands “wowing” at some of his reps. Mims was the most impressive player of the day, in my opinion.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

The depth of the WR class is making think Douglas is going to set a limit on what he
offers Anderson.  If he doesn't take it he'll fill the position in the early rounds.
Shocking how many quality prospects are at the position this year

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, RobR said:

Collin Johnson and your boy Claypool unless he switches positions will not be good at the NFL level. Remember Patrick Turner? They're the same player.

I think it depends on what you are drafting Johnson to be and where you draft him.   If your drafting him early and wanting him to be the Alpha X, then he will disappoint IMO.   But if your drafting him in the 3rd to fill that role of a chain mover and red zone guy, then he can be successful.  

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Paradis said:

Being on vacation out of the country, I have not been able to follow anything beyond what Twitter has told me. Disappointed to hear that Duvernay has been stiffer than a board. Not surprised Mims is capitalizing, or Claypool. I didn’t know much about this defensive end from South Carolina Kinlaw, please turn a lot of heads it looks like as well

Everybody’s talking about Jefferson though. As a gator fan, I’ve always appreciated his game, but I’ll admit I didn’t expect him to stand out as much as he did that’s far.

Also Colin Johnson is back

I'm not sure 100% what goes on the entire practice, but i was watching nfl network this morning and was watching the 1 on 1s while at the gym.. In the limited reps i saw Hill and Mims were fantastic.  Hill to me looked by far the best in the 1 on 1s he flat out dominated most of his reps on intermediate and quick routes. He didnt have a great move on his fade routes but thats easy to teach, and im nit picking here because he still got some separation, but i just felt he could have shaken the db even more with a better release move and bend on the route.  

Mims made some fantastic catches, one of them going down low on a comeback to the outside where he got good separation anyway at the top of his route.  

I'll say this Colin johnson on most of his routes got dominated from what i saw.  He had a great over the shoulder contested catch on a fade route for a touchdown which was really really nice, but on his outs and comebacks the defender ran the route for him..  Maybe it was a different day i was watching?  theres also ALOT of practice i didnt see, just reporting what I saw. 

Claypool Who i was also really interested in seeing was up and down as well.. Saw some really nice battling through contact on his break downs, saw him use his body to gain leverage, but also saw him get easily covered on a few reps where he didnt sell his route with his stem or body language. 

40 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

More on Mims from yesterday.  

Denzel Mims/WR/Baylor: Mims was arguably the best player on the North team today. He was uncoverable all day long. He separated with explosiveness, fluidity, and physicality and showed off an impressive catch radius during one-on-ones. He had scouts in the stands “wowing” at some of his reps. Mims was the most impressive player of the day, in my opinion.

Been saying it all offseason, Mims is one of my favorite prospects in the draft this year... Anyone doing mocks and grabbing him in the 4th 5th put that to bed right now.  We're lucky to get him in the 3rd this year.. I honestly feel with a great combine and if he continues to have a great senior bowl he's a 2nd round WR this year. 

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, KRL said:

The depth of the WR class is making think Douglas is going to set a limit on what he
offers Anderson.  If he doesn't take it he'll fill the position in the early rounds.

It may also help JD because the teams that may be interested in Robby may feel the same way.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

38 minutes ago, KRL said:

it also reduces the chance they take one in the first round.

1 hour ago, KRL said:

Good point, Anderson may not get the $$$ he's looking for

We also have to consider where he’s going to get more money in three years from now. Agents work the long game with their players. Had Anderson been playing on a more explosive offense, he might’ve commanded a lot more money. They’re going to be looking at the same thing in the open market. The Jets will be near the bottom of that wish list

1 hour ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Been saying it all offseason, Mims is one of my favorite prospects in the draft this year... Anyone doing mocks and grabbing him in the 4th 5th put that to bed right now.  We're lucky to get him in the 3rd this year.. I honestly feel with a great combine and if he continues to have a great senior bowl he's a 2nd round WR this year. 

I think I posted here in the fall that Denzel was somebody who isn’t even on the radar right now but will show up as a round two maybe even higher when I was said and done in the spring. I think people are starting to see why. He’s got all the tools to be a complete wide receiver at the NFL level

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, RobR said:

Was Patrick Turner 6’5 220+?... then the answer to your question is of course I remember him. 

But Turner never did anything at USC. The only reason why he was even drafted was because of his size. He under performed his entire college career and wasn’t able to do much at the NFL level. Johnson has a similar physical limitations possibly, but it’s a much more gifted natural receiver. I think he will either make it work and be someone like Jeffrey in terms of his strengths, or it’ll be a Josh Doctson situation all over again.

1 hour ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I'm not sure 100% what goes on the entire practice, but i was watching nfl network this morning and was watching the 1 on 1s while at the gym.. In the limited reps i saw Hill and Mims were fantastic.  Hill to me looked by far the best in the 1 on 1s he flat out dominated most of his reps on intermediate and quick routes. He didnt have a great move on his fade routes but thats easy to teach, and im nit picking here because he still got some separation, but i just felt he could have shaken the db even more with a better release move and bend on the route.  

Mims made some fantastic catches, one of them going down low on a comeback to the outside where he got good separation anyway at the top of his route.  

I'll say this Colin johnson on most of his routes got dominated from what i saw.  He had a great over the shoulder contested catch on a fade route for a touchdown which was really really nice, but on his outs and comebacks the defender ran the route for him..  Maybe it was a different day i was watching?  theres also ALOT of practice i didnt see, just reporting what I saw. 

Claypool Who i was also really interested in seeing was up and down as well.. Saw some really nice battling through contact on his break downs, saw him use his body to gain leverage, but also saw him get easily covered on a few reps where he didnt sell his route with his stem or body language. 

also maybe time to start talking about Michael Pittman again. I was happy to hear he stuck around last for his senior year. I thought he had a little bit more to prove, and boy did he ever do that this year. He and Denzel might be the two most complete receivers that you can hope to get on day two. They’ll be a lot of ceiling guys selected in round two and three, but Mims and Pittman Will be ready to deploy into lineups year one in my opinion

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

also maybe time to start talking about Michael Pittman again. I was happy to hear he stuck around last for his senior year. I thought he had a little bit more to prove, and boy did he ever do that this year. He and Denzel might be the two most complete receivers that you can hope to get on day two. They’ll be a lot of ceiling guys selected in round two and three, but Mims and Pittman Will be ready to deploy into lineups year one in my opinion

at work so no twitter posts show up for me lol so i cant see . what play that was. 

I like both a lot, especially mims, but you cant ignore what pittman did this year.  His production was off the charts, and he's looked good so far at the senior bowl with his route running.  I will say though in the 5 reps or whatever i saw from him on NFL network he had 3 drops which surprised me considering he caught what? 101 passes this year? Could be jitters?  I'd have to take a closer look to see if theres a distinct reasoning mechanically for the drops, hard when I cant rewind. 

Ideally for Douglas I think the best case would be an OT falls to 11 and we're able to go WR in round 2.  Gives a great 1-2 punch to start the draft. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

I had Mims and Pittman in a very early mock for the Jets.  Not a bad combo. 

• Sympathy 1

RISERS

Denzel Mims, WR, Baylor

Weighing in at 6-foot-2, 206 pounds, Baylor wideout Mims is a bigger receiver with legit explosiveness in and out of his breaks. He blew the doors off some of the Senior Bowl cornerbacks with his burst at the line of scrimmage and hand usage through the route. He dominated the one-on-one drills and logged zero drops in what should be a week that sends him up draft boards.

K.J. Hill, WR, Ohio State

Hill is always open. The 6-foot, 192-pound Ohio State product was easily the most impressive route-runner in Mobile. He created separation with ease and made his competition look foolish in the process. He also hauled in a one-handed catchthat dropped jaws on Day 3 that really put an exclamation point on his big week.

Troy Pride Jr., CB, Notre Dame

No defensive player had a better week than Notre Dame’s Pride. A former track star who weighed in at 5-foot-11, 193 pounds, Pride said he wants to run in the 4.2s at the NFL combine and showed in one-on-one drills that he very well could hit the mark with his ability to stick with any receiver in Mobile down the football field. Pride was sticky in press man all week and rarely got beat. He’s a special player that should draw significant interest at the top of Day 2, if not Day 1 of the 2020 NFL Draft.

Harrison Bryant, TE, FAU

Bryant had the best week of any tight end here in Mobile. Dayton’s Adam Trautman really stood out as well, but Bryant really stood out in the one-on-one drills with his ability to come open in man coverage. Bryant also caught everything thrown his way and made a handful of tough catches in traffic throughout the week.

Damien Lewis, OG, LSU

LSU’s Lewis was impressive all week in one-on-one drills. The 6-foot-2, 329-pounder held his ground against nearly every interior pass-rusher he went against in Mobile. He holds 329 pounds well and best projects as a guy that can really win in a phonebooth at the next level. He struggled a bit on Day 2 against stunts and twists, but he was an unbeatable brickhouse otherwise.

Jonah Jackson, OG, Ohio State

Jackson may have moved all the way up to OG1 with his performance in Mobile. The 6-foot-3, 310-pound guard is a bit top-heavy, but his balance is absurd. He was near-flawless in one-on-one drills and also impressed in team drills as a run blocker. He should be in the first-round conversation when it’s all said and done.

Josh Jones, OT, Houston

Houston’s Jones entered Senior Bowl week high on PFF’s big board at No. 18, but he may be on his way up even further after an impressive string of practices in Mobile. He showed out in the one-on-one drills at left tackle, right tackle and even guard when called upon, going as far throwing UNC’s Jason Strowbridge to the turf in one of the drills.

Larrel Murchison, DI, NC State

In 2018 and 2019, NC State’s Murchison earned just 73.9 and 65.3 PFF pass-rush grades, respectively, but he managed to stand out as a pass-rusher in Mobile. He flashed active hands and earned a handful of quick wins. He also logged two really impressive reps against Temple’s Matt Hennessey on Day 2.

Van Jefferson, WR, Florida

Florida wideout Jefferson showed off some impressive route-running ability all week. He was explosive and showed off quick feet with his releases at the line of scrimmage, and he had a handful of impressive moves at the route stem that helped create separation at the top of his route.

Jalen Elliott, S, Notre Dame

Notre Dame’s Elliott, a 6-foot, 205-pound safety prospect, was spectacular in the one-on-one drills against tight ends in Mobile. He’s an aggressive player with above average quickness in and out of his breaks. The tight ends in attendance really struggled to create separation against Elliott all week.

FALLERS

Essang Bassey, CB, Wake Forest

Bassey had a week to forget in Mobile. The 5-foot-9, 191-pound cornerback prospect is destined for a zone-heavy slot cornerback role in the NFL, but he was asked to play a ton of press man at outside cornerback in the one-on-one drills at the Senior Bowl. Things did not go well. Bigger receivers like Mims and Michael Pittman Jr. rag-dolled him a bit, and quicker, explosive receivers like Hill put him a blender a handful of times.

Josiah Coatney, DI, Ole Miss

Ole Miss’ Coatney needed to have a big week in Mobile to come up boards, but the 6-foot-3, 309-pound interior defensive lineman couldn’t rise to the occasion. He lost a bulk majority of his one-on-one reps as a pass-rusher and failed to stand out in team drills.

Nick Harris, C, Washington

Harris was probably the most athletic offensive lineman in Mobile, but his lack of size and play strength showed up in a bad way all week long. He was bullied a handful of times against bigger bull-rush types in one-on-one drills.

Alton Robinson, Edge, Syracuse

Like Coatney, Syracuse edge defender Robinson needed a big week in Mobile if he was going to make a push up draft boards, but his performance was forgettable. He logged a handful of ugly losses in the one-on-one drills against Houston’s Josh Jones and UConn produce Matt Peart.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

57 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:
Nick Harris, C, Washington

Harris was probably the most athletic offensive lineman in Mobile, but his lack of size and play strength showed up in a bad way all week long. He was bullied a handful of times against bigger bull-rush types in one-on-one drills.

Been saying it all along. Great college player that is just not cut out for the NFL.

• Upvote 2

On 1/22/2020 at 10:27 AM, sec101row23 said:

Justin Herbert QB Oregon:

Herbert looked phenomenal on Tuesday displaying all the physical tools and leadership skills necessary for the next level.  He was right on the money with many of his throws and his pass placement was off the charts.  He made plays in and out of the pocket, displayed a next level arm and great athleticism.  His incomplete passes were more about drops by receivers rather than missed throws on his part.  And when his receivers dropped a pass Herbert was there to take charge.  Terrific day by the Oregon quarterback.

This is awesome and it helps us. If he comes up into the top 10, that knocks a player down to us.

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, RobR said:

Been saying it all along. Great college player that is just not cut out for the NFL.

You can’t get pushed around like that, don’t care how quick you are, a good DT will just carry him into the QBs face.  Biadasz looks to have similar issues.  Cushenberry seems to have come out this weeks practices pretty well.  

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

You can’t get pushed around like that, don’t care how quick you are, a good DT will just carry him into the QBs face.  Biadasz looks to have similar issues.  Cushenberry seems to have come out this weeks practices pretty well.  

People are talking about OG and OT(rightfully so) but I’m a little more worried for the future of the Center position. There are less options for us in the C department. I guess Harrison can be our stop gap for the year but man.. that has to get solved just as much as the other 4 OL positions.