XFL Starts Play This Weekend

Warfish

25 minutes ago, Nolder said:

I expect it to be a good game.

I don't hold it against anyone for thinking D.C. Gonna come out on top.

IMO the razzle dazzle won't work on NY though.

It will not. The Guardians will get a big win on the road in a tight one and hold their spot atop the east. I'm predicting 30-24 NY.

XFL should directly target prospects coming out of HS. If they want real legitimacy they need some A+ prospects. They can entice them with real money. There are some legitimate coaches already in the XFL and I suspect if they grow the league they’ll have even more. Imagine the XFL lands a prospect like Tua right out of HS,that would make waves through both leagues.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

10 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

XFL should directly target prospects coming out of HS. If they want real legitimacy they need some A+ prospects. They can entice them with real money. There are some legitimate coaches already in the XFL and I suspect if they grow the league they’ll have even more. Imagine the XFL lands a prospect like Tua right out of HS,that would make waves through both leagues.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I disagree.

They need to become the legit professional developmental league of the NFL.

That means all the hundreds of fringe prospects and UDFA's should really be going the XFL and playing instead of playing camp body fodder for the NFL for pennies.

This would also be a great place to small school fringe prospects to prove then can do it at a pro level.

Sadly, college football as an exploitative industry will never go away (even tho it 100% should), and will continue to get all the top prospects out of HS.  But there is room for an in-between of College and the NFL.

• Upvote 1

I don't know what their contract agreement is with signed players. There were reports that NFL teams did want to sign players during last season who had signed XFL deals like Josh Johnson who the Lions were interested in and the XFL wouldn't agree and let the players out of their deals. In the past as far as I know most of these off leagues would allow players under contract to sign something obviously important to the player. More opportunity to play in the XFL but more money in the NFL.

I've said this in the past about the NFL but I'd love to see the XFL to put mic's on the field so we could hear the hits (in addition to the players trash talking).  I realize there would be a huge risk for TV (for language) but it would really set the league apart and I'm confident the NFL would follow suit.  Worst case, offer it on a pay channel like HBO but let that broadcast include all the on-field sounds.  That would really be something.  That plus give us less announcing (as we're busy listening to the sounds of the game).

2 hours ago, JetPotato said:

As much as I like ripping them apart, they have not drafted 1st overall since 1996. They aren't the Browns.

Relegation is a league as big as the NFL, if done along the UK lines, would be the bottom ~3-4 teams.

We'd be in the D league.  Sorry.

9 hours ago, Warfish said:

Relegation is a league as big as the NFL, if done along the UK lines, would be the bottom ~3-4 teams.

We'd be in the D league.  Sorry.

Here's another reason why you're wrong: what we know about the NFL in the past 2 decades is that games are tilted in the direction of desired outcome$. The Jets have clearly been hurt by the fact that despite being consistently bad, they also are consistently one of the biggest draws in the entire league. No incentive to help them out, but with relegation, there is absolutely no chance that the league would allow a New York team to drop. None.

55 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Here's another reason why you're wrong: what we know about the NFL in the past 2 decades is that games are tilted in the direction of desired outcome$. The Jets have clearly been hurt by the fact that despite being consistently bad, they also are consistently one of the biggest draws in the entire league. No incentive to help them out, but with relegation, there is absolutely no chance that the league would allow a New York team to drop. None.

Then it's not a Relegation system, it's a fixed league.  I'm not sure why you're all worked up over this tbqh, was a passing comment....

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

Then it's not a Relegation system, it's a fixed league.  I'm not sure why you're all worked up over this tbqh, was a passing comment....

fish you probably know i'm the biggest fan of relegation there is 

however the XFL's best vs NFL's worst is akin to those "Can Bama beat the Jets?" threads

The XFL's best team would get smoked by the NFL's worst team, even in full tank mode

the defenses are leaky, the lines are essentially guards playing tackle (except for Storm Norton)

the wide outs, as a group, can't catch a cold 

and worst of all watching the XFL's quarterback play is like watching the Jets when it's a lost year and you're secretly rooting for the starter to get hurt so Brett Ratliff can come on

2 hours ago, Apache 51 said:

More football this weekend. Nice to have the option. Hope this league becomes competitive.

Truthfully, I don't thin you could ask anymore after how the first week played out.

Sure we aren't talking star studded casts, but if you were a fan of college players who didn't get their shot, or redemption stories of people that had character concerns or injuries, then this league has it.

I'm hoping the word of mouth that spread from the "You know what i was expecting it to be terrible, but ti was actually pretty good" crows is enough to get a few more people in the stands for Week 2, and get some more viewership of the games.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

Not really all that worked up. Just bored. Luv ya, brutha.

But yeah. No matter what rule changes the NFL makes, it's still going to be a fixed league until it isn't.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, chrisfaceoff said:

I'm hoping the word of mouth that spread from the "You know what i was expecting it to be terrible, but ti was actually pretty good" crows is enough to get a few more people in the stands for Week 2, and get some more viewership of the games.

they did a smart thing making these teams have training camps early 

the ST Louis battle hawks home opener is selling for like 100 bucks in stubhub

there's a pent up demand among that town after the Rams moved tho

this week is very important, people are willing to try anything once... 

18 minutes ago, bitonti said:

fish you probably know i'm the biggest fan of relegation there is 

however the XFL's best vs NFL's worst is akin to those "Can Bama beat the Jets?" threads

The XFL's best team would get smoked by the NFL's worst team, even in full tank mode

the defenses are leaky, the lines are essentially guards playing tackle (except for Storm Norton)

the wide outs, as a group, can't catch a cold 

and worst of all watching the XFL's quarterback play is like watching the Jets when it's a lost year and you're secretly rooting for the starter to get hurt so Brett Ratliff can come on

While you're right to an extent, an XFL team is still a talent level higher than any college program. I actually can imagine a scenario where a good XFL team could beat a horrendous NFL team one time out of 10. It would come down to matchups. For example, an NFL team that has an awful O-line and a bad QB (like we have had so often), goes up against a couple good pass rushers, couple turnovers and BAM. Lightning in a bottle. Any given Sunday. Super Bowl 3.

13 minutes ago, bitonti said:

they did a smart thing making these teams have training camps early 

the ST Louis battle hawks home opener is selling for like 100 bucks in stubhub

there's a pent up demand among that town after the Rams moved tho

this week is very important, people are willing to try anything once... 

Agreed.  I also think if they do any other expansions, Oakland has to be in their mind for the exact same reason as you mentioned with STL

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

While you're right to an extent, an XFL team is still a talent level higher than any college program. I actually can imagine a scenario where a good XFL team could beat a horrendous NFL team one time out of 10. It would come down to matchups. For example, an NFL team that has an awful O-line and a bad QB (like we have had so often), goes up against a couple good pass rushers, couple turnovers and BAM. Lightning in a bottle. Any given Sunday. Super Bowl 3.

I suspect the "awful O-line" and "bad QB" by NFL standards would still be head and shoulders above the XFL guys and it wouldn't be pretty 

Oh and I forgot to mention this is a league that employs Ted Cotrell and Jerry Glanville as DC's there a certain amount of absolute coaching incompetence on every team  

it becomes a money thing if nothing else... NFL vet min is like 10x more than XFL salary  

it would be a good movie of the week tho like bad news bears

• Sympathy 1

42 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I suspect the "awful O-line" and "bad QB" by NFL standards would still be head and shoulders above the XFL guys and it wouldn't be pretty 

Oh and I forgot to mention this is a league that employs Ted Cotrell and Jerry Glanville as DC's there a certain amount of absolute coaching incompetence on every team  

it becomes a money thing if nothing else... NFL vet min is like 10x more than XFL salary  

it would be a good movie of the week tho like bad news bears

Yep. Certainly entertaining at least. Not much sports to enjoy on weekends in this gap until the NCAA tourney, NHL playoffs and MLB Openers. Feb/March really sucks.