XFL Starts Play This Weekend

Warfish

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

And there will be a Jace Amaro sighting to boot!

In truth, I'm looking forward to watching this weekend, to see if the quality of play is better than the previous disaster of a football league.

There are a few vaguely interesting QB's playing, Cardale Jones, Connor Cook, And the wrong McCaffrey brother (Max, not Christian), lol.

I've always wanted more football at a pro level (not college), and during the NFL off-season, so I'm hoping (almost assuredly in vain) this time the product is semi-decent.

Go DC Defenders (?).

I'm curious if JD ends up snagging anyone from this league...

15 minutes ago, Warfish said:

And there will be a Jace Amaro sighting to boot!

In truth, I'm looking forward to watching this weekend, to see if the quality of play is better than the previous disaster of a football league.

There are a few vaguely interesting QB's playing, Cardale Jones, Connor Cook, And the wrong McCaffrey brother (Max, not Christian), lol.

I've always wanted more football at a pro level (not college), and during the NFL off-season, so I'm hoping (almost assuredly in vain) this time the product is semi-decent.

Go DC Defenders (?).

I'll give it a shot. Agree this likely will fail just as others have. 

Unlike others, this league has decent QBs in it. Most of the starters have NFL experience. Also the teams all have fairly well-respected NFL or college coaches.

4 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Is this really a surprise?  After all, these are the citizens of Portland (well, at least Portlandia):

Ugh.  That show was mildly interesting for about a year then gradually what was original about the town dried up as more and more freeloaders moved here.  No different than Woodstock in the late sixties and early seventies when the artist community became more than just the a bunch of painters or the Bearsville music acts in town.

15 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

Ugh.  That show was mildly interesting for about a year then gradually what was original about the town dried up as more and more freeloaders moved here.  No different than Woodstock in the late sixties and early seventies when the artist community became more than just the a bunch of painters or the Bearsville music acts in town.

Some Portlandia skits are kind of bland but there are also some that are amazingly funny.  Like comedy classic funny.   (at least imo)

15 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Some Portlandia skits are kind of bland but there are also some that are amazingly funny.  Like comedy classic funny.   (at least imo)

The coffee house sketches are pretty accurate.  The dumpster diving sketches were pretty good.  The free range chicken sketch was pretty good.  The problem is most of that that era of Portland was build through Tom McCall era Oregon and Neil Goldshmidt/Bud Clark era Portland... just the cultural landmarks, provincial businesses and housing developments that sprung up over time.  Within the last ten years outside developers and just the mass influx of transplants just changed the face of the city overnight.  It's not like NY or LA.  There is only a couple of million people in the city.  So now it resembles pretty much any northern California yupster neighborhood with the McCulture that springs around that.  I meet so many people who say, "at least I'm not living in ____ anymore."  But I am like, "Portland's just as gentrified and homogenized and the place you just came from.."  Like any other place really....

12 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

The coffee house sketches are pretty accurate.  The dumpster diving sketches were pretty good.  The free range chicken sketch was pretty good.  The problem is most of that that era of Portland was build through Tom McCall era Oregon and Neil Goldshmidt/Bud Clark era Portland... just the cultural landmarks, provincial businesses and housing developments that sprung up over time.  Within the last ten years outside developers and just the mass influx of transplants just changed the face of the city overnight.  It's not like NY or LA.  There is only a couple of million people in the city.  So now it resembles pretty much any northern California yupster neighborhood with the McCulture that springs around that.  I meet so many people who say, "at least I'm not living in ____ anymore."  But I am like, "Portland's just as gentrified and homogenized and the place you just came from.."  Like any other place really....

I haven't been to Portland in a long time.  I'm just commenting on the brilliance of Fred/Carrie's comedy.

7 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I haven't been to Portland in a long time.  I'm just commenting on the brilliance of Fred/Carrie's comedy.

Yeah.  I liked Fred on SNL.  I remember going to see Carrie Brownstein play at various clubs in the 90's.  Think it was before she lived in Portland. Another big band around town at the time was Heatmiser with Elliot Smith.  Friend of mine was like their biggest fan but I was more into heavy metal for some reason.  Wish I'd taken notice more notice of the times I was actually there to see them.

6 hours ago, Ruby2 said:

Zero chance this works out. People dont want football year round.

I don't expect it to succeed but I'll do my best to support it. If this league brings us more inventions like it did the first time around like the sky cam the. It should only enhance the league. Their special teams rules have the potential to save NFL special teams.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The best non-NFL league was the USFL.  They actually attracted top NFL talent to that league before they folded. Probably the CFL is worth watching but I never have.

I catch a CFL game on TV every so often. They're actually pretty decent.

The best and most stable feeder league the NFL has is the CFL.  As all these fad leagues come and go after a few years scooping up some medium talent along the way the 62 year old CFL has been trudging alone providing lots of great football and employing a lot of good players that fell through the cracks.

The rosters are largely practice squad and 4th pre season game fodder. We all know how well the 4th pre season game is attended even with forced ticket sales. The concept behind this league borrows heavily on PT Barnum's MO. 

Guardian tickets are cheaper than Jets/Giants but the $30 tix are end zone. Corner to sidelines creep up to $60, then $138. Here's the kicker, parking is still $30. No way I am paying these prices for minor league football, so one customer lost here.

Meanwhile the rule changes are indeed intriguing. We'll watch for now out of curiosity but come season end, when baseball starts , the weather gets nice and everyone realizes that the quality of the league is wanting, interest will wane. 

The one saving grace that this league has is TV contracts so they do have a chance to play into a second year, but no football league has ever survived outside the NFL without merging into it. This is set up to fail.