Unbelievable the virtual lock down with Jets news...

NIGHT STALKER

Yeah, we get a sprinkle here and there, but nothing really. Dan Leberfeld of Jets Confidential must be going nuts. He hasn't had any news on his site for over a week now which is very unusual.

I guess the media and the fans will have to get use to this tight lipped way of doing things now...

Yeah, we get a sprinkle here and there, but nothing really. Dan Leberfeld of Jets Confidential must be going nuts. He hasn't had any news on his site for over a week now which is very unusual.

I guess the media and the fans will have to get use to this tight lipped way of doing things now...

You think it is bad now, just wait until the season starts.

Isn't this really how Parcells and company runs the show? I guess Eric is going to be the same around here.

Can't complain. Yet.

I do wonder if Eric will have a weekly show on ESPN like Herm did, and if Tannenbaum will have on like Bradway did.

Isn't this really how Parcells and company runs the show? I guess Eric is going to be the same around here.

Can't complain. Yet.

I do wonder if Eric will have a weekly show on ESPN like Herm did, and if Tannenbaum will have on like Bradway did.

Based on their not being media oriented I would doubt either one of these options. Marriott will have to book some other act in Long Island

They shouldn't say anything. Football is compared to the military all the time...do we expect the military to disclose every last detail of their strategy?

Sounds to me like the Jets accidentally hired somebody smart. Perhaps they can trade him for a 4th rounder.

me too! Yet BERGER in todays NEWSDAY is quoting unamed sources in his article about CHAD's pay cut!

"Unnamed sources" are often very much a part of an organization's plan to deal with a media.

It allows them to get their story out on a certain situation, without attaching a name to a "story". The attempt is for the organization to curry favor with its fan base and possibly apply pressure in a negotiation, or even to float "test balloons".

Agents do teh same thing. All media manipulation.

Coincidentally there is more Kansas City Chiefs inside information floating around now than at any time in their history. Their playbook will be posted on the official website any day now (PDF format).

can-it zarro has his resume in to be a anal scratcher in the KC front office

"Unnamed sources" are often very much a part of an organization's plan to deal with a media.

It allows them to get their story out on a certain situation, without attaching a name to a "story". The attempt is for the organization to curry favor with its fan base and possibly apply pressure in a negotiation, or even to float "test balloons".

Agents do teh same thing. All media manipulation.

SD echoes my thoughts. Mangini and co. are smart to use the media to their advantage. You feed them scraps, controlling the flow of information, knowing that they will be hungry for whatever they can find, yet you also use them for situations like this, contract negotiations.

The public now knows that the possibility of Chad being cut is real, yet there is no one to trace this rumor back to. It also makes it difficult for Chad's agent to fire back through the media, again, since there is no one concrete to tie this to.

Get used to it.

SD echoes my thoughts. Mangini and co. are smart to use the media to their advantage. You feed them scraps, controlling the flow of information, knowing that they will be hungry for whatever they can find, yet you also use them for situations like this, contract negotiations.

The public now knows that the possibility of Chad being cut is real, yet there is no one to trace this rumor back to. It also makes it difficult for Chad's agent to fire back through the media, again, since there is no one concrete to tie this to.

Get used to it.

You guys are right- politicians and their political committees float ideas out all the time to see the reaction to different ideas. It is called influencing the media and masses

Leberfeld actaully gets it. Not every media guy does. Nobody gets scoreboard points on Sunday for buttering up the press all week.

http://www.msgnetwork.com/content_news.jsp?articleID=v0000msgn20060208T032749713&newsgroup=ap.sportsml.columnist.article&sports=american-football&team=Jets&league=nfl

Dan Leberfeld

Bradway is better off with his new role

Feb 08, 2006

Don’t feel bad for Terry Bradway.

True, he’s not the General Manager of the New York Jets anymore, after being replaced by Mike Tannenbaum on Tuesday, but he’s probably relieved.

Bradway never seemed comfortable in the GM’s skin. Bradway seems most at ease scouting players, not running an entire football operation.

He loves finding players, not dealing with the media or being the boss to a large staff, or disciplining a coach who was comprising the organization with his constant leaks to the media.

Bradway’s descent from the GM role to a consultant position is probably best for both him and the organization. The New York Post loses their favorite whipping boy, but Bradway can go back to a role he’s most comfortable with - mining new talent.

Terry Bradway was replaced as Jets GM by Mike Tannenbaum (AP)

And don’t think for one second that Tuesday’s announcement came out of nowhere. It’s been in the offing for some time.

"I've had conversations with (Jets President) Jay (Cross), casual conversations throughout the year (about a new role),” said Bradway. "I wasn't sure what a time frame might be. I think it's important that Eric (Mangini) gets off to a good start with the right people in place.”

And Bradway clearly wasn’t the right GM to work with Mangini. Tannenbaum is a better fit. Mangini and Tannenbaum have been friends for a long time, and both are disciples of Bill Belichick and Bill Parcells. They worked together in Cleveland under Bill Belichick and then with the Jets under Bill Parcells. They are clearly "on the same page,” as they say in the football world.

"Mike is very deserving of this opportunity, I think the fact that he has a good relationship with Eric will be a plus to the Jets, and I know those guys will work tirelessly to get this thing done,” said Bradway.

Notice he said "work tirelessly" - that was something Bradway couldn’t do for the Jets because of his living arrangement, and this was a significant part of Tuesday’s decision as well.

When Bradway first took over as Jets GM in 2000, he and his family moved from Kansas City and settled on Long Island. But it became clear very quickly that his kids didn’t like their new environment. So Bradway and his wife decided to move to Absecon, New Jersey, where both of them are from, and much of their extended family lives.

While this move has worked out great for his family, and Bradway deserves kudos for what he did for his kids, it made him essentially a part-time GM. He had a lot of four-day weeks, and would head to Absecon, a suburb of Atlantic City, on Thursday or Friday.

Based on his comments on Tuesday, it sounds like Jets owner Woody Johnson was tired of this setup, and was looking for a full-time GM.

"I know the sacrifice he went through, because his family that he cares about is about 150 miles away,” said Johnson. “Mike and Eric will establish a culture of accountability that permeates the entire organization from the general manager and head coach on down, without exception. I want to thank our loyal fans who have had patience with us this last year. I think they should rest assured that we will work 24 hours a days, seven days a week, to improve this team.”

"Understand that this is a process and it's not going to happen overnight, but I am absolutely committed to working 24 hours a day, seven days a week, to get the players that do fit our mold,” said Tannenbaum.

Notice that both Johnson and Tannenbaum reference to working "24/7" to get the Jets turned around. This was clearly a theme in the press conference. The days of the part-time GM are over.

Tannenbaum, who lives 15 minutes from the Jets complex, has a tremendous work ethic, as does Mangini. The electricity bill at Weeb Ewbank Hall is due to go up - the lights are going to be on much later.

And Tannenbaum and Mangini are going to attempt to bring back the Parcells-Belichick way to Hempstead. It slipped away the last few years, and accountability went by the wayside, as did the strength program.

While the media isn’t going to like it, access is going to be cut way back. Tannenbaum and Mangini both realize that games are won on game day, not media day.

Tannenbaum and Johnson weren't forthcoming enough with their answers on Tuesday to suit ESPN Radio’s Michael Kay.

"They told us nothing," said Kay on his Tuesday show. "The Patriots have earned their arrogance, the Jets haven't. Why don't they answer our questions?"

Because they don't have to. They just have to win on Sunday.

Only time will tell if the Jets' new brass will do that, but we know they will be going at it as hard as they can.

And Tannenbaum and Mangini are going to attempt to bring back the Parcells-Belichick way to Hempstead. It slipped away the last few years, and accountability went by the wayside, as did the strength program.

What a bunch of crap.

I like Mangini, but we don't know anything. We hope it.

Strength program last couple of years? Bull. The Jets were in GREAT shape last year at the end. That team played three straight OT games on the road versus very tough teams with an injured QB and no Abraham. They showed up in Pitt and gave a 15-1 team a great run.

My ass they were not in shape.

People don't like Herm? Fine. But this whack the guy now that he's gone stuff, to pump up what Mangini has not yet done, is cheesy at best.

Like I said, I like Mangini and wish him the best. I like the move and will be patient. But so far the only thing I have actually seen is a guy who had cotton mouth in his only impression as a leader of a team.

I will write it off as opening night jitters, but I will also wait for him to prove what he's got.

Herm had a great work ethic. It's well documented. He used a different approach than Tuna or BB. He let the men be men. Yes, certain guys take advantage. Others appreciate the respect and sell out for the man.

If you go the other way. Yes, you will scare some into working, but others will cheat the system and suck weight to avoid fines and thus play weaker. The knife cuts both ways. This is why Leberfeld's point of winning is what counts holds true. Approaches mean sh!t. Winning is everything.

And BTW, when Edwards had a healthy QB, he made the playoffs - every time. Not the fraud some want to portray him as.

I am fine with him going. Five years is a lifetime in NY. I'll take the 4th rounder and the coach.

The whole accountability thing is just hogwash.

Let's see...

25 guys overweight in December-no fines.

John Lott leaves in disgust.

Ty Law looks like the Stay Puff Marshmallow Man.

And Law and Kendall take days off midweek in season with the coach's blessing.

And again-Pennington probably was never healthy again after he was hurt in Buffalo in 2004. And he went back out there for Edwards. Edwards apparently wasn't done ruining people after throwing Q under the bus for the Ravens game which they lost due to his total incompetence.

Read between the lines of Pennington's comments about playing healthy or hurt-somebody asked him to play when he knew he shouldn't have. That's not a player's decision, that's a coach's decision. That person was Herman Edwards. And he did it not once, but twice. And both times he knew damn well he was risking this man's career and he didn't hesitate for a second. Screw Pennington's health and livelihood. Edwards took that son of a coach/gamer attitude and turned it against Pennington's long-term health for Edwards' short-term goals. "Master Motivator" indeed.

"When Healthy" indeed. Edwards in 2004 and 2005 ruined 2 promising young NFL QBs by his stupidity. How this man looks in the mirror every morning is a miracle of arrogance. How the NFLPA isn't suing him now for both Penngington and Carter is the only bigger disgrace.

Edwards is a POS.

Let's see...

25 guys overweight in December-no fines.

John Lott leaves in disgust.

Ty Law looks like the Stay Puff Marshmallow Man.

And Law and Kendall take days off midweek in season with the coach's blessing.

And again-Pennington probably was never healthy again after he was hurt in Buffalo in 2004. And he went back out there for Edwards. Edwards apparently wasn't done ruining people after throwing Q under the bus for the Ravens game which they lost due to his total incompetence.

Read between the lines of Pennington's comments about playing healthy or hurt-somebody asked him to play when he knew he shouldn't have. That's not a player's decision, that's a coach's decision. That person was Herman Edwards. And he did it not once, but twice. And both times he knew damn well he was risking this man's career and he didn't hesitate for a second. Screw Pennington's health and livelihood. Edwards took that son of a coach/gamer attitude and turned it against Pennington's long-term health for Edwards' short-term goals. "Master Motivator" indeed.

"When Healthy" indeed. Edwards in 2004 and 2005 ruined 2 promising young NFL QBs by his stupidity. How this man looks in the mirror every morning is a miracle of arrogance. How the NFLPA isn't suing him now for both Penngington and Carter is the only bigger disgrace.

Edwards is a POS.

Lots of assumptions from a person with a clear agenda.

Law took advantage? Do you have any clue what he played with? He came back early at age 32 and milked that foot through an entire season and picked off what? 11 balls?

Plantar Fasciitis is a brutal injury that can take years to fully heal. It's why Law was a risk. It's why he was not forced to overwork himself.

I would bet that Kendall had a turf toe or something that required rest. I seem to recall a toe injury.

I play shoulder intensive sports with a bad cuff and have for close to 20 years. You'd be surprised how much one can do. I lost certain arm angles or the strength at certain arm angles, but I'm still solid at about 75% of the things I used to do and with most of my velocity. I never got fixed. Getting fixed gets you that full range of motion and then you need to work and stay healthy to get back the strength.

You have no proof at all that Edwards caused any increased damage to Penny. None. Besides, the player played. His agent let him play. The doctors let him play. And yes, the coach let him play. There's no reason to believe that ANY OF THEM made a mistake or better said - lost on that calculated risk. Of course stepping on the field in an NFL game is a calculated risk.

John Lott? Whatever.

When healthy, Edwards teams played well. You want to blame Herm for the injuries? Fine. But Pennington's injuries were not from any lack of practicing or conditioning. That guy works. Those were freak injuries (hand & Shoulder). Even the two shots that got him this year were nasty shots that could have injured the healthiest of shoulders. And it's Penny's injuries that really demolished our chances.

As for Chad ripping Herm, I doubt it. Chad is saying, and rightfully so, that he laid it on the line for the Jets. He understands the situation, but he also deserves some respect. I think he plans on helping to some extent, but not this minimum salary stuff. Perhaps they could force that on him. Time will tell.

Personally, I like the idea of meeting Chad halfway and drafting a young QB and hoping that he can beat out Chad at some point. If Chad holds onto the job, then that’s good too. As long as we are getting good QB play.

Back to injuries...

Apart from Chad, it’s ABE’s injuries that have really hurts Edward’s teams. Do you want to blame ABE's injuries on Herm? Don't forget that under taskmaster Al Groan, ABE missed the last six (or thereabouts) games with a muscle pull.

Edwards has his faults, but your over the top criticisms are way lamer than Herm ever could be.

Edwards took a mentally-fragile guy like Quincy Carter and blamed him for a loss that was Edwards' fault. Now, Carter was obviously troubled, but having your coach throw you to the wolves when said coach effed up didn't help.

Pennington almost certainly should never have come back last year, and shouldn't have gone back into the Jags game this year. He was mostly ineffective when he came back in 2004, and worse than that in 2005. Somebody who makes those kinds of decisions-THE HEAD COACH-is responsible.But Edwards never takes any responsibility-NEVER. Get Can It Zero to blame somebody else.

Call it an agenda-what ever. Edwards is the biggest a-hole ever to hold the HC job, Kotite and Groh included. ANd it's not even a contest. In fact, he's a loser and a jerkoff. And I wait patiently for the under/over line on wins with a plan to bet the under on KC. In fact in NY media circles, Can It Zero excepted, I hear there are a lot of people waiting to do so as well.

He basically ruined 2 promising youg QBs in 2 different ways and doesn't have an ounce of shame about it.As a coach, as a human being, you should hold that responsibility to protect careers very dear. And he couln't have cared less.

Herm had a great work ethic. It's well documented. .

Are you on a work release program?

Great work ethic???????

Thats freakin hilarious. Herm was known to hang out in media room for hours on practice days. usually left before 6 PM.

He was not the 'i dont have time for media' cause I am breakin film down and in strategy sessions till 2 AM type of coach.

Like Belly tree disciple Nick saban says "There is always time for vacation in February"

Are you on a work release program?

Great work ethic???????

Thats freakin hilarious. Herm was know to hang out in media room for hours on practice days. usually left before 6 PM.

He was not the 'i dont have time for media' caus eI am breakin file down and i nstartegy sessions till 2 AM.

Like Belly tree disciple Nick saban says "There is always time for vacation in February"

:yeahthat:

What's "mean-spirited" is throwing a fragile Quincy Carter under the bus for you own vaporlock, or sending out Pennington to play at all after his injury in 2004 and back out in the Jags game last year. That's also typical of a complete POS.

Sell silly elsewhere. Saw too much of it with the Master What Ever.

You think Parcells cares about players' careers? That’s bull of the stinkiest variety.

You think BB does? Think again.

Herm is but one person who allowed Penny to play. You want to assign responsibility to the act? Then Penny gets it. End of story. Still, there’s really no reason to blame anybody.

you are totally clueless. seriously you might be the silliest poster to date.

HERM is the HC you neanderthal,, thats supposed to mean he has final say on who starts. Chad started in KC and wasnt ready,, ONE PERSON repsonsible skippy and that Herm.

Herm is probably the stupidest coach in NFL as far as XsOs and clock management. He also NEVER gives his team a edge as he NEVER complains ingame about officials. NEVER tries to get the 'next' call by complaining.

Go to KC you Turd sniffer.

you are totally clueless. seriously you might be the silliest poster to date.

HERM is the HC you neanderthal,, thats supposed to mean he has final say on who starts. Chad started in KC and wasnt ready,, ONE PERSON repsonsible skippy and that Herm.

Herm is probably the stupidest coach in NFL as far as XsOs and clock management. He also NEVER gives his team a edge as he NEVER complains ingame about officials. NEVER tries to get the 'next' call by complaining.

Go to KC you Turd sniffer.

Not to mention the times he made sure he let everyone know what the team was going to do on gameday with more than enough time to prepare for it, including his opponents.

Pennington almost certainly should never have come back last year, and shouldn't have gone back into the Jags game this year. He was mostly ineffective when he came back in 2004

The Jets were 2-1 with Carter starting (should have been 3-0 if not for Herm's incompetence).

The Jet's finished the season 2-4, with Pennington starting.

Guys like Martin and Pennington will never take themselves out of a game because they are hurt. The HC should never leave it at the discretion of the player, he should make the final decision. Herm always covered his *ss by asking them "are you sure you want to play" knowing full well they would say "yes", even though a real leader would have benched them, for their own good, and more importantly, for the good of the team.

Everything Herm did, he did it with one guy in mind: Herm.

The Jets were 2-1 with Carter starting (should have been 3-0 if not for Herm's incompetence).

The Jet's finished the season 2-4, with Pennington starting.

Guys like Martin and Pennington will never take themselves out of a game because they are hurt. The HC should never leave it at the discretion of the player, he should make the final decision. Herm always covered his *ss by asking them "are you sure you want to play" knowing full well they would say "yes", even though a real leader would have benched them, for their own good, and more importantly, for the good of the team.

Everything Herm did, he did it with one guy in mind: Herm.

POTW nomination

Archived