How will the players be ready for Opening Day???

BCJet

This is something that is not being talked about nearly enough but how on earth are veteran players and rookies, especially the lineman, going to be ready to play football in September/October 2021?

Jason Tatum, a multi-millionaire 3rd year veteran on the Celtics said he has "not touched a basketball since the NBA shut down".

Will Muschamp (coach of South Carolina) estimated that only 30% of his players have access to "weights"

HOF OT Joe Thomas has said it took him 6,000 to 7,000 calories plus working out to maintain his 300 lb weight that he needed to play football.

So I think while not many people are discussing this, we can use the above facts to ask the question how can veteran players who may live in condo complexes or who have moved back to their hometown's have access to ANY weights, let alone the full NFL weight rooms and gyms that they would have in a normal offseason/OTAs etc.

Then you look at rookies, who do not have millions of dollars, and have not had access to the pre-draft process that involves weight training, speed training, etc.  

So my question is how can players coming from LSU/Alabama or their NFL teams where they have had access to world class facilities, protein shakes, stretching, trainers etc. be in the shape necessary to play football when all they have is possibly a weight bench, dumbbells and pushups?  Where are they getting the calories necessary to either keep weight on, or the nutrition to keep bad weight off?

I personally think its going to be crazy to see how some of these guys look after being essentially isolated for 2-3 months.  The disciplined players are going to stand out even more and we may see guys simply not ready for opening day.

I think at the moment, the bigger issue is the sports that we’re going on or starting when this all happened. The blue jays owner said teams will need at least a month of extended spring training before a season starts. I think for those sports, you have to worry about injuries piling up.

If they aren't disciplined enough to prepare their bodies like they would normally, they shouldn't be professional sportsmen. There's a reason Brady was working out in a park alone.

It's a level playing field for everyone. Every sport has the same issue. European football was paused and every player was sent home with a diet and fitness plan. Even then they know they won't be ready to resume football matches tomorrow, it'll take weeks of a "preseason training regime" which is designed to exponentially ramp up their cardiovascular and anaerobic capacity. 

You don't need a full weight room to keep fit.

I think those that players that struggle to stay in shape will definitely come to camp worse off but I think many are rich enough to afford home gyms and can stay in shape.

Plus places like Georgia are already opening up gyms (we can debate the wisdom of that) so by training camp I'm sure most of these players can find a gym and/or training facility to work on their skills.

I definitely think this year we will see the difference between well run organizations and the ones that don't have their act together. 

I wouldn't want to be a team with a first time head coach running the show. 

Just now, British Jet said:

If they aren't disciplined enough to prepare their bodies like they would normally, they shouldn't be professional sportsmen. There's a reason Brady was working out in a park alone.

It's a level playing field for everyone. Every sport has the same issue. European football was paused and every player was sent home with a diet and fitness plan. Even then they know they won't be ready to resume football matches tomorrow, it'll take weeks of a "preseason training regime" which is designed to exponentially ramp up their cardiovascular and anaerobic capacity. 

You don't need a full weight room to keep fit.

I completely disagree.  The people on this message board dont need a weight room to be "fit".  There are online boot camp classes, push ups, jogging, etc that can keep regular people "fit".

The question im asking is how does a 270lb world class athlete keep the requisite muscle on his frame that he has maintained through eating specific things and lifting 400+ lbs of weights on squat racks, bench and shoulder press, etc?  They aren't trying to be "fit" they are trying to maintain world class strength - slightly different.

3 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

With the new CBA they are not missing much physical practice and many of them have a better gym (weight room) in their house then the local public gym, plus video meetings work fine (except when it's time to get some fk'n snacks)

Many of them do have home gyms.  Maybe 30%.  What about the other 70% that were smart and moved closed to a great facility that hasn't been opened in 6 weeks?

22 minutes ago, BCJet said:

This is something that is not being talked about nearly enough but how on earth are veteran players and rookies, especially the lineman, going to be ready to play football in September/October 2021?

Jason Tatum, a multi-millionaire 3rd year veteran on the Celtics said he has "not touched a basketball since the NBA shut down".

Will Muschamp (coach of South Carolina) estimated that only 30% of his players have access to "weights"

HOF OT Joe Thomas has said it took him 6,000 to 7,000 calories plus working out to maintain his 300 lb weight that he needed to play football.

So I think while not many people are discussing this, we can use the above facts to ask the question how can veteran players who may live in condo complexes or who have moved back to their hometown's have access to ANY weights, let alone the full NFL weight rooms and gyms that they would have in a normal offseason/OTAs etc.

Then you look at rookies, who do not have millions of dollars, and have not had access to the pre-draft process that involves weight training, speed training, etc.  

So my question is how can players coming from LSU/Alabama or their NFL teams where they have had access to world class facilities, protein shakes, stretching, trainers etc. be in the shape necessary to play football when all they have is possibly a weight bench, dumbbells and pushups?  Where are they getting the calories necessary to either keep weight on, or the nutrition to keep bad weight off?

I personally think its going to be crazy to see how some of these guys look after being essentially isolated for 2-3 months.  The disciplined players are going to stand out even more and we may see guys simply not ready for opening day.

Because we're 3 months away from camp and 5 months away from the scheduled start of the season?

26 minutes ago, BCJet said:

It’s a valid concern.  That’s why I don’t believe we will see a college season this fall and there is a better than 50/50 chance the NFL season gets delayed as well.  Aside from conditioning, you have playbook installs that need to be done as well.  You can’t really just hand out iPads and say “hey learn this offense or defense”.  You can get the basics but without walkthroughs and OTA’s all this stuff doesn’t get learned.   

19 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

With the new CBA they are not missing much physical practice and many of them have a better gym (weight room) in their house then the local public gym, plus video meetings work fine (except when it's time to get some fk'n snacks)

Really?  Have you ever been involved in a group video conference call where they are rolling out new info?  I can only imagine what it would be like with 50 or so offensive players all on a Zoom call trying to get the new offensive install.  It’s usually a s**t show when we have 15-20 people on our calls, try putting 50 football players on one of those calls.   

7 minutes ago, freestater said:

I honestly dont believe the football season will start on schedule. 

The schedule release is in the first week two of May. I wonder if the league will mention a backup plan or a different potential start date.

26 minutes ago, BCJet said:

The question im asking is how does a 270lb world class athlete keep the requisite muscle on his frame that he has maintained through eating specific things and lifting 400+ lbs of weights on squat racks, bench and shoulder press, etc?  They aren't trying to be "fit" they are trying to maintain world class strength - slightly different.

These guys are making on average 50x more money than you or I make, coupled with access to resources you or I wouldnt have access to. 

A large majority of these guys have personal gyms, personal trainers, personal dietitians, teams could literally have their exact meal plans delivered to them hot every day, video conference workouts, fly them on private planes to an area not under lockdown, etc etc. 

You cant ask the question you're asking while in your own shoes, you have to put yourself in their shoes. Everything is easier to accomplish when you make a 300k-6mil a year. 

2 minutes ago, PS17 said:

The schedule release is in the first week two of May. I wonder if the league will mention a backup plan or a different potential start date.

I hope they do. The uncertainty and open-endedness of this whole situation is probably the most upsetting and trying part of it. 

Here is the 2020 off season schedule.  At this time, the teams haven't missed much.  In fact, other than teams with new coaches, they've missed only 2 days of workouts so far.

I suspect by June most NFL facilities will be reopened for the players.  They'll have social distancing measures in place and big time disinfecting programs for things like the weight room.  I would imagine classroom time will be broken up into multiple sessions so that you can limit the total number of players in each session.  Positional meetings can be held in larger rooms to allow guys to spread out more.

The biggest problem we will see, at least over the summer, is that players will be constantly checked for symptoms and those who show up with a fever etc. are gonna get quarantined for 2 weeks.  So if Sam shows up one morning during camp with a fever of 100, he'll be out for 2 weeks.

April 6

Clubs that hired a new head coach after the end of the 2019 regular season may begin offseason workout programs.

April 17

Deadline for restricted free agents to sign offer sheets

April 20

Clubs with returning head coaches may begin offseason workout programs.

April 23-25

NFL Draft, Las Vegas, Nevada.

April 27

Beginning this date, NFL clubs may request permission to visit with, try out, or sign any player who was under contract to the XFL at the conclusion of the XFL season.

MAY

May 1-4

Clubs may elect to hold their one three-day post-Draft rookie minicamp from Friday through Sunday or Saturday through Monday.

May 5

Deadline for prior club to send “May 5 Tender” to its unsigned Unrestricted Free Agents. If the player has not signed a player contract with a club by July 22 or the first scheduled day of the first NFL training camp, whichever is later, he may negotiate or sign a player contract from that date until the Tuesday following the 10th weekend of the regular season, at 4:00 p.m., New York time, only with his prior club.

May 8-11

Clubs may elect to hold their one three-day post-Draft rookie minicamp from Friday through Sunday or Saturday through Monday.

May 11

Rookie Football Development Programs begin.

May 14-17

NFLPA Rookie Premiere. Invited rookies (typically, first- and/or second-round selections) must be permitted by their respective clubs to attend. Such players are unavailable for offseason workouts, OTA days, and minicamps during this period.

May 19-20

Spring League Meeting, Marina Del Ray, California.

JUNE

June 1

Deadline for prior club to send “June 1 Tender” to its unsigned Restricted Free Agents who received a qualifying offer for a right of first refusal only in order for such player to be subject to the CBA’s “June 15 Tender” provision.

June 15

Deadline for club to withdraw qualifying offer to Restricted Free Agents and still retain exclusive negotiating rights by substituting “June 15 Tender” of one-year contract at 110 percent of the player’s prior-year Paragraph 5 Salary (with all other terms of his prior-year contract carried forward unchanged).

Late June

Rookie Transition Program to be held at individual clubs.

JULY

July 15

At 4:00 p.m., New York time, deadline for any club that designated a Franchise Player to sign such player to a multiyear contract or extension. After this date, the player may sign only a oneyear contract with his prior club for the 2020 season, and such contract cannot be extended until after the club’s last regular season game.

Mid-July

Clubs are permitted to open preseason training camp for rookies beginning seven days prior to the club’s earliest permissible mandatory reporting date for veteran players.

Veteran players (defined as a player with at least one pension-credited season) other than quarterbacks or “injured players” (as defined in CBA Article 21, Section 6) may report to a club’s preseason training camp no earlier than 15 days prior to the club’s first scheduled preseason game or July 15, whichever is later.

Veteran quarterbacks and injured players may be required to report to the club’s preseason training camp no earlier than five days immediately prior to the mandatory reporting date for all other veteran players, provided the club has already opened (or simultaneously opens) its official preseason training camp for all rookies and first-year players

A three-day acclimation period will apply to players who are on a club’s roster up to and including the mandatory veteran reporting date. Players who rejoin the roster after that date may practice (including wearing pads) and play immediately after passing a physical.

July 22*

Signing period ends for Unrestricted Free Agents to whom a “May 5 Tender” was made by prior club. After this date and until 4:00 p.m., New York time, on the Tuesday following the 10th weekend of the regular season, prior club has exclusive negotiating rights.

* or the first scheduled day of the first NFL training camp, whichever is later.

July 22

Signing period ends for Transition Players with outstanding tenders. After this date and until 4:00 p.m., New York time, on the Tuesday following the 10th weekend of the regular season, prior club has exclusive negotiating rights.

4 hours ago, JTJet said:

These guys are making on average 50x more money than you or I make, coupled with access to resources you or I wouldnt have access to. 

A large majority of these guys have personal gyms, personal trainers, personal dietitians, teams could literally have their exact meal plans delivered to them hot every day, video conference workouts, fly them on private planes to an area not under lockdown, etc etc. 

You cant ask the question you're asking while in your own shoes, you have to put yourself in their shoes. Everything is easier to accomplish when you make a 300k-6mil a year. 

I dont disagree with this at all, especially the meals I just haven't seen it reported anywhere.

If it was me, Id absolutely be shipping all the players food and any other nutritional stuff possible.  You could also technically help them get gym equipment if they need it.  This can also happen once the players are drafted and hopefully their agents are doing that for them prior to the draft

5 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

It’s a valid concern.  That’s why I don’t believe we will see a college season this fall and there is a better than 50/50 chance the NFL season gets delayed as well.  Aside from conditioning, you have playbook installs that need to be done as well.  You can’t really just hand out iPads and say “hey learn this offense or defense”.  You can get the basics but without walkthroughs and OTA’s all this stuff doesn’t get learned.   

The only thing (and it's a big thing )that will stop the NFL season is the continuation of the health crisis and social distancing restrictions.  I unfortunately think that, absent effective treatments, a vaccine, or antibody evidence of significant herd immunity, restrictions are likely to continue in the Fall or be put back in place as another wave of the virus hits.  If the health crisis is under control, there is far too much money to be made and lost for the NFL and the players to postpose or cancel the season because there is not enough time to "prepare" or players are out of shape.