What A day In jets Land!!

Smizzy

I take all this contract shtick with a grain of salt. All I see is

"could be". It sounds like Canizzaro is just speculating.

The only contract that sounds like its on the level is Chad's because

its been reported by many outlets.

The FO isn't even announcing the hiring of all the asst. coaches

even tho everyone knows they were. And you think they are going

to tell one reporter about what they plan to do with players contracts????

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I take all this contract shtick with a grain of salt. All I see is

"could be". It sounds like Canizzaro is just speculating.

I don't get it. All these guy are old and/or make too much money. It isn't out of the realm of possibility to think the FO,Mangini want to free up some of this money to rebuild his team for the future.

Why would the guy keep any of these overpaid,lazy,underachievers if ther aren't willing to take pay cut to help the team move forward? Seems a little more than reasonable to me.

I don't get it. All these guy are old and/or make too much money. It isn't out of the realm of possibility to think the FO,Mangini want to free up some of this money to rebuild his team for the future.

Why would the guy keep any of these overpaid,lazy,underachievers if ther aren't willing to take pay cut to help the team move forward? Seems a little more than reasonable to me.

Agree 100% and if mangini thinks chads arm is shot (which it is) he wants a new qb and some other key positions , rb, center, G, where he can spend the money he wants on the players he wants , chad was herms boy .

you seem to forget the whole reason we traded moss for coles was b/c of his and chad's chemistry.....

Not the whole reason.

Moss was in the final year of his contract and Drew Rosenhaus was pushing for major dollars.

Coles was already under contract, plus his chemistry with Chad was a bonus.

I like Coles, though. Keep him.

Mangini and Tannenbaum have started the bloodshed. No one is safe.

I said it before and I'll say it again, Mangini will make camp tough as hell for these guys. Expect an atmosphere of fear. Fear for one's job, fear for one's contract, fear of not upsetting the coaching staff.

I like what is happening. Mangini and Tannenbaum have bunkered themselves in and have gone over whom they'd like to keep and at what cost. They have not wasted any time.

Santana wasn't disiplined here either and he doesn't have a great will to be the best out there like Smith does. Now that Gibbs put a foot in his ass he actually performed and stayed away from the sidelines. Herm was a big fault I'd say for Santana's performance in 04.

Thats exactly what Steve said :confused:

...But hell Smizz Senior is right...I wont believe anything till I see it. We can only assume the Chad talks are the only true ones. I believe Curtis would restructure because he is team oriented and I believe he wants to end his career here, thats if all the speculation is true. Your talking about cutting damn near the whole team...how would we replace all these key position players in one draft with any hopes of having any kind of season?....And keep in mind...Tannenbaum is and was the resident capologist..he's only attempting to clean up the mess he had a hand in from the beginning so dont act as if he's cleaning house and part of the "new regime"...:bag:

...But hell Smizz Senior is right...I wont believe anything till I see it. We can only assume the Chad talks are the only true ones. I believe Curtis would restructure because he is team oriented and I believe he wants to end his career here, thats if all the speculation is true. Your talking about cutting damn near the whole team...how would we replace all these key position players in one draft with any hopes of having any kind of season?....And keep in mind...Tannenbaum is and was the resident capologist..he's only attempting to clean up the mess he had a hand in from the beginning so dont act as if he's cleaning house and part of the "new regime"...:bag:

If all these rumors are false....the team is screwed next yr. No question.

I said it before and I'll say it again, Mangini will make camp tough as hell for these guys. Expect an atmosphere of fear. Fear for one's job, fear for one's contract, fear of not upsetting the coaching staff.

I like what is happening. Mangini and Tannenbaum have bunkered themselves in and have gone over whom they'd like to keep and at what cost. They have not wasted any time.

Sorry about the photo didn't mean to offend.

I don't think an atmosphere of fear is exactly the way to go. A professional approach where they can keep the media at bay enough to be able to play a strong hand when negiotating contracts, making trades, draft, practice, etc. are all well and good. Top players will not come to a team that has an atmosphere of fear around it unless they are going to be guaranteed more money than they can make elsewhere or if they are approaching the end of their career a ring. Without either of those two incentives players will have to be treated professionally. If they in fact do create an atmosphere of fear they will be gone in a few years.

Pennington,Coles,Fabini,Mawae & Martin all being asked to restructure....

Law out....Abe wants out.

Big day. THoughts?

Im thrilled by the job Mangini has done so far.

I like the approach Mangini is taking, even though it's almost something he HAS to do. I'd prefer guys like Fabini and Martin be cut, unless the organization can get them to take a pay cut that would save more money than if they were cut.

I like the approach Mangini is taking, even though it's almost something he HAS to do. I'd prefer guys like Fabini and Martin be cut, unless the organization can get them to take a pay cut that would save more money than if they were cut.

I don't know why we would pay Martin or Fabini more than the vet minimum unless the cap hit for an outright cut is off the wall? Does any one know the hit if we cut them?

First of all, on Santana Moss: he'll never do well in a WCO-type short passing game. His strength is his ability to stretch the field with his speed, which the Jets almost never utilized (for whatever reason). He was a success in DC because Gibbs sent him down the field instead of across it.

I don't think you can cut everyone for a couple of reasons. 1) the cap hit will be too mammoth and it will take too long to replace everyone. I don't hink you can have 15-20 million of dead cap money and still spend money on the number 4 pick and free agents. You won't be able to field a complete team of 52 that is in any way competitive. 2) Cutting everyone will adversely impact the Jets' ability to attract free agents and to retain people like Vilma when their contracts expire. Yes, you can cut people who have physical problems like Chad and Fabini, but cutting someone like Coles that you signed a year ago will send a bad message to people you want to keep.

Rebuilding a franchise requires a personnel guy of extremely high quality. Belichick could not have done with he's done in NE without Pioli. I don't see that type of guy in the Jets FO yet. You better have someone like that or you become the Arizona Cardinals.

I agree! :cheers:

What I wanted to happen is going on right now. Shake 'em up. I wanted a HC that instills fear ala Cowher, Parcells even Bellichicken. I wasn't a Herm hater but I knew he was way too soft on these guys. It is time for some of these high paid vets to either restructure or seek employment elsewhere. As all the TGG'ers well know, I really dislike J-Abe, so it isn't going to hurt me if he goes. I don't want to see Coles go nor Curtis BUT, let's get down to business and start being a serious team to contend with, instead of the laughing stock of the NFL.

Its absolutely reasonable. Guys have been saying on all the boards

to cut Chad, Curtis, FAbini et. al. for weeks. Canizzaro isn't saying

he got it from the FO. He is speculating when he says "could be".

My point was that if that's the way the jets even wanted to go

why are they telling one reporter about players contracts when

they don't even tell them the more mundane things.

I happen to agree with you but I want to hear it from someone

other than one reporter. I even have to agree now with my buddy

Savage that its time (gasp) for Curtis to go.

Savage taught you to neither trust nor use the word-wrap feature, yes?

Ahhh...but everything start with a whisper. Hold tight....the shake up is coming.

Sorry about the photo didn't mean to offend.

I don't think an atmosphere of fear is exactly the way to go. A professional approach where they can keep the media at bay enough to be able to play a strong hand when negiotating contracts, making trades, draft, practice, etc. are all well and good. Top players will not come to a team that has an atmosphere of fear around it unless they are going to be guaranteed more money than they can make elsewhere or if they are approaching the end of their career a ring. Without either of those two incentives players will have to be treated professionally. If they in fact do create an atmosphere of fear they will be gone in a few years.

I can understand that approach, but my point was more about Mangini creating an atmosphere of competition. One in which no one was safe, and vet or rookie could lose his job. One in which the players would be held to a higher standard and higher accountability.

Now, I am not saying that I expect Mangini to be a dictator, but I do expect that the players should be made to feel uncomfortable.

None of the Ty Law stuff where he failed to sit in on meetings.

Fear of failure. Fear of losing one's job. Fear to dissapoint.

We didn't have that here and in my opinion, it is sorely lacking.

I do believe that players need that fear. Saban uses it. There is no question that he is the man, the boss. F up and pay. Fail to perform and get shipped out or be placed in his doghouse, a place not fit for man or beast.

Herm is a player's coach and a change was needed. Camps appeared too soft. Players and staff contributing inside info to the media.

I want fear. Take a chance and speak out, and face reprisals.

Fear is a great motivator. Parcells uses it and it does not prevent him from acquiring free agents. It needs to be used here. It can be used effectively, professionally. Shanahan uses it as well. No nonsense.

Fear is a great motivator. Parcells uses it and it does not prevent him from acquiring free agents. It needs to be used here. It can be used effectively, professionally. Shanahan uses it as well. No nonsense.

Parcell's is an intresting guy. He used fear on some and on others he was very positive. Parcells doesn't use a one size fits all approach. The thing is Parcells, BB and Saban have a track record. Players want to succeed and will take a lot if they believe in the program. If they believe in the program fear isn't really the motivation, success is.

I don't like a players coach and I love a hard ass but the key for Mangini is not creating fear so much as creating a credible environment for the players to buy into. If he can do that, he will be on his way. If he can't do that and just creates an environment of fear he will fail badly.

ERIC is clearly in charge. He has set the direction of his team and is now paring down players that he really does not want unless they make themselves cap friewndly! Mr.T is surely backing the HC's decisions! Together they are doing a nice job especially with the way news has stopped flowing out of HOFSTRA from" unamed sources". Quite a compliment to two new guys on the block!

Parcell's is an intresting guy. He used fear on some and on others he was very positive. Parcells doesn't use a one size fits all approach. The thing is Parcells, BB and Saban have a track record. Players want to succeed and will take a lot if they believe in the program. If they believe in the program fear isn't really the motivation, success is.

I don't like a players coach and I love a hard ass but the key for Mangini is not creating fear so much as creating a credible environment for the players to buy into. If he can do that, he will be on his way. If he can't do that and just creates an environment of fear he will fail badly.

Mangini has the upper hand and has, imo, already used fear to his advantage.

Mawae, Fatbini, Martin, and Chad have already been approached about redoing their contracts. This is his team and he is threatening to use his ax.

Fear of losing one's job.

Mangini has no loyalties to these players. His schemes are also different, so no one, outside of Vilma, is safe. Mangini must have also heard about Law selecting which meetings he would attend, etc so that type of environment must change.

Mangini is an unknown and although he has something to prove, it is the players who have a much tougher job ahead. They must prove that they belong and are able to fit his plan(s). This team does not have a large group of players inherited like Herm, leftovers with huge contracts that cannot be dealt with. The team is relatively young and he can mold them if he chooses to retain them.

I feel Mangini also has the luxury of coming from the Parcells/BB/Saban tree and saw firsthand how they operated. I am not saying that he will be a dictator, but make no mistake that he will be a hard ass, at least in camp, and will instill his will on this team early on.

Mangini will use the fear to his advantage and get the most of his young players early on, at least for the first few years. The discomfort felt in camp and the uneasiness will be necessary, at least until he gets the results he wants. I also feel that as time goes on, he will step back a bit and not use this approach as much.

Our new front office and coaching staff are going about things in sort of an overly aggressive way, and I don't disagree with it. They are all relatively young and have to come out punching in order to be taken seriously at this point, lest they be written off early as Bradway seemed to be about 4 years ago... and then was summarily raped by Daniel Snyder, to his shame.

I'd be annoyed if they were going about it any other way, to tell you the truth. The players must buy in to the pace set by the higher-ups. If the FO/CS are bleeding at the knuckles, the team will come out of the tunnel with pride.

Agree. The Jets are over the CAP and any "regime" would be exploring the same restructures/cuts, etc that we are hearing about today.

Nobody is reinventing the wheel here.

I am happy we have new blood running the show but we are getting a little carried away going gaga over the fact that our FO is doing what any FO would be doing if they were well over the CAP.

Agree. The Jets are over the CAP and any "regime" would be exploring the same restructures/cuts, etc that we are hearing about today.

I am happy we have new blood running the show but we are getting a little carried away going gaga over the fact that our FO is doing what any FO would be doing if they were well over the CAP.

It's a breath of fresh air that people are actually doing their jobs. Not running for mayor of simpleton or moving in on Tony Robbins market.

The reason for the slight gaga is because we haven't had a FO that did what any other FO would do for the past 5 years, which, if you think about it, is really sad. So bring on the typical FO maneuvers, we NEED it!

Cutting Fabini would be a DUMB move.So we go into next season with no veterans on the front line? Give me a break this guy is decent enough to keep around at least another year.I agree restructure but also restructure a few more worthless pieces of crap while your at it.Dont just single out Fabini the guy has played alongside how many DIFFERENT teamates? Offensive linemen are good when they know the players next to them every move.In the Jets situation its been a circus.

Archived