An attempt at a deeper analysis of Jets draft

Good find.  Thanks for sharing.  

At least the pundits tout Joe D as an actual real GM with some scouting chops and an ability to play the draft.  Obviously wish this was a normal (non COVID) off-season so the coaches could evaluate and develop some familiarity with the play book.  I'm excited to see if he can continue this kind roster building in the next couple of years.  

• Upvote 1

We won't really know how good of a class is for about 2 seasons, but at least every pick that Joe selected made sense.   There were no massive reaches, no drafting another DE in the top 10 of the draft.  He targeted positions of need with what look to be good players, while drafting athletic people who can play with these eber fast teams.

• Upvote 3

I thought at the time we should’ve drafted WR, CB and OL. I still think the QB and Punter were bad picks, but at this point I just have to hope Douglas knows what he’s doing.

He signed some low to medium grade FAs in order to fill roster spots, and give the team a decent line to protect Darnold.

The draft is where it’s at though. If it turns out he’s another stiff GM, we’re screwed. So just like everyone else, I’m hoping  Douglas, Becton, Mims, et al are the goods.

3 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

https://www.rotoworld.com/node/189221

afctable

newyork

5 (9). New York Jets

Slick work throughout the process by the Jets, who filled need areas with strong value in the draft and inked a strong UDFA class when the draft closed up shop on Saturday night. The board fell really well for Gang Green, with OT Mekhi Becton skipping down to 1.11 and WR Denzel Mims unexpectedly available at 2.59. Both figure to be immediate starters. RB Lamical Perine and S Ashtyn Davis will likely see the field plenty as rookies as well. In the UDFA free-for-all, the Jets were sitting dead-red on the class’ top unpicked corners. I ranked Javelin Guidry, Lamar Jackson and Shyheim Carter as the second, fifth and seventh-best undrafted corners in the class, respectively, and tagged the trio with Rounds 5, 6 and 7 grades prior to the draft, respectively. All in all, the Jets acquired the seventh-most total rookie talent while spending the 11th-most draft equity, leaving the process with the eighth-best ROI in the league. Fans may have to be patient, but a franchise turn could be right around the corner. The Jets currently project to have the fourth-most 2021 draft equity in the NFL.

I am very excited to see what Zuniga can do as well.  If he can stay healthy, he may be the best pass rusher the Jets have drafted since Abraham.   Also think between Cager and Campbell one of those guys will flash enough to make the team.   I am surprised he didn't mention Bryce Huff.  Dude has a non stop motor and I can see him being a special teams demon.    

7 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

I’m loving the Orlando Brown, Matt Judon, Marshall Newhouse and Shane Lechler Comps! Even the Sio Moore comp is more than ok for an UDFA. 

Besides size, Becton and Orlando Brown is a terrible comparison....Becton is 100x more athletic than Brown in every way imaginable. 

• Thumb Down 1

13 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Gotta say when I saw the shortened title "An attempt at a deeper ana..." I assumed I was clicking on a completely different topic.

attemptAtwhat.png.b91d8001c0256b578606f629917d65f9.png

With a name like yours I’d guess you were slipping into your boner pants before opening the OP

• Haha 4

I like the write up but honestly this is all so silly. There's only one way to grade a draft. That's seeing the crop on the field. Seeing what that group does collectively then rendering a grade about 3 seasons down the road.

Take Darron Lee as an example.... At the time he was picked there were numerous posters claiming this was a bust pick. That angry mob happened to be correct but there was still that small faction of fans that openly talked that they really thought Lee had potential and they were saying he'll become something down the road. It was only when it became apparent the Jets were moving on from Lee that reality came crashing down for those endless optimists. That was after 3 seasons. So really it's 3 seasons when you can judge. Up until then it's all silly posturing.

It won’t surprise me to see Perine getting a lot of work in the second half of the season in favor of Bell. Once he learns the offense, he’s more of the one-cut-and-go type RB that I think Gase is looking for. And Bell is gone after this season, anyway. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, NYJ1 said:

I like the write up but honestly this is all so silly. There's only one way to grade a draft. That's seeing the crop on the field. Seeing what that group does collectively then rendering a grade about 3 seasons down the road.

Take Darron Lee as an example.... At the time he was picked there were numerous posters claiming this was a bust pick. That angry mob happened to be correct but there was still that small faction of fans that openly talked that they really thought Lee had potential and they were saying he'll become something down the road. It was only when it became apparent the Jets were moving on from Lee that reality came crashing down for those endless optimists. That was after 3 seasons. So really it's 3 seasons when you can judge. Up until then it's all silly posturing.

You're not wrong but it's not like there are sports going on to distract us.  :)

I really loved this draft.  I understand some wanted more WR but honest the good ones were gone by the time we had our second rounder other than Mims which we not only got but grabbed more picks with a great trade down move by JD.   I gotta be honest I was t a fan of the Morgan pick at the time but warmed up To it.  I was fine stating a punter since this kid has a big upside and it’s something we have lacked 

1 hour ago, NYJ1 said:

Please click on the Jamal Adams threads

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

I really loved this draft.  I understand some wanted more WR but honest the good ones were gone by the time we had our second rounder other than Mims which we not only got but grabbed more picks with a great trade down move by JD.   I gotta be honest I was t a fan of the Morgan pick at the time but warmed up To it.  I was fine stating a punter since this kid has a big upside and it’s something we have lacked 

I can't think of a time the Jets have ever had a more electrifying punter!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, slats said:

It won’t surprise me to see Perine getting a lot of work in the second half of the season in favor of Bell. Once he learns the offense, he’s more of the one-cut-and-go type RB that I think Gase is looking for. And Bell is gone after this season, anyway. 

Along with a chance at a HOF career. 

good to see stats/analysis/experts/etc giving us props for the draft

it backs up the 'eyeball test" props everyone saw and gave JD as the draft unfolded 

personally i would have preferred a double-dip at WR in the rounds 3-5 range ... and I would have preferred to wait on addressing future backup QB until later in the draft or next season ... no biggie though,... i happily defer to JD's judgement at this time

...  everything else regarding this draft played out pretty f*cking unbelievably

imo the jets draft was more about filling critical holes as opposed to getting a high draft ranking.  they got into the top third by this analysis and that's good.  douglas drafted solid if not flashy players.  now let's see them get on the field and play.