If no preseason games, do you start Becton?

12 hours ago, AFJF said:

I've seen a few "evaluate him in practice" replies.  Having to play the 49ers in week 2, which Jets defender best prepares Becton for his battle with Bosa during practice?

What makes you think a handful of snaps in meaningless pre-season games will make him ready for Bosa? 

The reality is that these teams get plenty of data to make roster/starting lineup decisions in camp. The pre-season games mean something, but not that much. 

3 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

What makes you think a handful of snaps in meaningless pre-season games will make him ready for Bosa? 

The reality is that these teams get plenty of data to make roster/starting lineup decisions in camp. The pre-season games mean something, but not that much. 

How many times have we seen/heard coaches and media rave about the way a particular players is standing out in camp only to have the fall apart in live action?  I had one person at camp a couple years ago tell me that once Enunwa went down, Jalin Marshall looked like the guy who was going to step up and be the best receiver on the team.

All off-season we've talked about how this team has no outside pass rushers, but somehow those non-existent pass rushers are going to be good enough to let the coaches know if Becton is ready to start from day 1? 

20 hours ago, AFJF said:

I've seen a few "evaluate him in practice" replies.  Having to play the 49ers in week 2, which Jets defender best prepares Becton for his battle with Bosa during practice?

Ok assuming there is a preseason and he plays.   What player on another team that will play a few snaps and then retire to the bench will best prepare Becton to battle w Bosa?

7 minutes ago, Flying High said:

No....which is why they will be very strongly considering signing jason peters Becton will be on the bench and be brought on as guard while Peters helps bring him along as tackle.

Becton will be neither on the bench nor at guard. 

13 minutes ago, Flying High said:

No....which is why they will be very strongly considering signing jason peters Becton will be on the bench and be brought on as guard while Peters helps bring him along as tackle.

I cant see Becton at G, he should start out at RT with Fant at LT.

5 hours ago, AFJF said:

How many times have we seen/heard coaches and media rave about the way a particular players is standing out in camp only to have the fall apart in live action?  I had one person at camp a couple years ago tell me that once Enunwa went down, Jalin Marshall looked like the guy who was going to step up and be the best receiver on the team.

All off-season we've talked about how this team has no outside pass rushers, but somehow those non-existent pass rushers are going to be good enough to let the coaches know if Becton is ready to start from day 1? 

Probably about as often as we've seen guys do well in meaningless preseason games and get cut or suck in the real games..

13 minutes ago, BUM-KNEE said:

I cant see Becton at G, he should start out at RT with Fant at LT.

First game critical game against the Bills. With no preseaon Becton is too big a risk to start at either tackle. They need to get busy signing Peters. 

Even if there are two preseaon games i would say the same .

11 minutes ago, Flying High said:

First game critical game against the Bills. With no preseaon Becton is too big a risk to start at either tackle. They need to get busy signing Peters. 

Depends on what Peters has left in the tank.

Im not sure he is worth the signing at this point in his career.

31 minutes ago, Flying High said:

Starters usually only play in 3 preseason games so I don’t know what the fuss is about 

18 minutes ago, BUM-KNEE said:

I’d rather resign Beachum to a one year deal but supposedly he’s another player Gase alienated

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, BUM-KNEE said:

Peters played effectively last year while being  given breathers. Good chance he can do the same this year.

We  only need him to last the first half dozen games while Becton gets brought up to speed as an NFL tackle.

Peters is the perfect player to help bring him up to speed.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

Ok assuming there is a preseason and he plays.   What player on another team that will play a few snaps and then retire to the bench will best prepare Becton to battle w Bosa?

I'm assuming he'll face somebody better than any of the Jets pass rushers as the Jets have none.

becton will start on day one unless he really lays an egg in training camp.  i suppose it's possible he won't be at left tackle but he has to get in.  and with the abbreviated preseason game schedule there may not be enough time to get him fully used to the pro game.  the first 4 games of the season are usually an extension of pre season anyway.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Flying High said:

Peters played effectively last year while being  given breathers. Good chance he can do the same this year.

We  only need him to last the first half dozen games while Becton gets brought up to speed as an NFL tackle.

Peters is the perfect player to help bring him up to speed.

I guess I have PKSD... post Kalil stress disorder. 

Weary of old vets coming in and laying an egg for big money.

On 7/3/2020 at 3:53 PM, Scott Dierking said:

Wouldn't it matter how he looks in practice and team drills?

It will be interesting that if in practice at T Becton wither fully handles or struggles against mainly Edge rushers Zuniga and Huff, does that mean the Edge rushers are good, or Becton is not ready to play start the season at LT and should start at RT for at least the first x amount of games till he gets his feet wet.

51 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

It will be interesting that if in practice at T Becton wither fully handles or struggles against mainly Edge rushers Zuniga and Huff, does that mean the Edge rushers are good, or Becton is not ready to play start the season at LT and should start at RT for at least the first x amount of games till he gets his feet wet.

Coaches can tell how good a player is regardless of whom he practices against. They judge by footwork, technique and scheme adjustments on the fly.

Would it help if he was lining up against all-pros? Sure. But coaches are smart enough to be able to tell how the play of a player will translate to actual games. 

Regardless, there will be a rookie learning curve.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

I'm assuming he'll face somebody better than any of the Jets pass rushers as the Jets have none.

That’s not an accurate assumption.    He will go against Jet starters in practice.   He won’t get much time against starters in preseason games so I disagree with your statement.  Besides Jenkins had 8 sacks, which is what Clowney averages, and everybody thinks he’s the sh*t and should be a Jet.  If he holds his own against Jets starters, I wouldn’t worry how he does against the rest of league.
That said, the more variety of moves and counters he gets exposure to, the faster he will learn to recognize and neutralize them.  I think he starts unless he is injured

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

That’s not an accurate assumption.    He will go against Jet starters in practice.   He won’t get much time against starters in preseason games so I disagree with your statement.  Besides Jenkins had 8 sacks, which is what Clowney averages, and everybody thinks he’s the sh*t and should be a Jet.  If he holds his own against Jets starters, I wouldn’t worry how he does against the rest of league.
That said, the more variety of moves and counters he gets exposure to, the faster he will learn to recognize and neutralize them.  I think he starts unless he is injured

If players could only be evaluated by the competition that they face, then D2 and D3 players would never be drafted, because, well, what competition did they face? That is simplified thinking.

• Post of the Week 2

6 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

Not many people on the board like Jenkins more than I do, but even I can see he's not an explosive edge rusher.  He's a guy who gets effort sacks (nothing wrong with that) against mid to bottom tier OT's.  Go back and look at his sacks and you'll see what I mean.  As far as Jenkins vs Clowney, we'll see if he gets more or less than Jenkins on the open market since he hasn't signed yet.  I'd venture to guess there's a team out there willing to give him more than the $1.5 million guaranteed that JJ got.

I think some folks have more faith in Jordan Jenkins, Frankie Luvu and Harvey Langi off the edge than I do.

Again... I will be shocked it Beckton starts on the left side.  The reason for that is simple.  Even as a college player, he has little experience pass blocking in what I'd call a true drop-back pass play.  It won't make the argument for me if you dig out a single play or two on film where he is seen successfully blocking a pass rusher.  The fact is clear and irrefutable.  He has limited experience pass blocking.  LT is one of the hardest positions to learn in the NFL because there is such a variety of ways an edge rusher can come at you.  Each of those ways requires that the LT has some practice at dealing with.  Beckton does not have that experience.  Remember Brick ???  It took him about three seasons or so before he evened out.  He didn't start playing very well with consistency until Faneca got there.  And Brick has lots of "drop back" pass plays under his belt in college where as Beckton has few.

Look for Beckton to start on the Right side, or perhaps even inside. 

Or... If he starts on the left side... Look for...

Sam drops back... Starts his progression.  Sees a target.  Arm draws back.  

BOOM.

Maybe he gets up.  Maybe he doesn't.  

6 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Again... I will be shocked it Beckton starts on the left side.  The reason for that is simple.  Even as a college player, he has little experience pass blocking in what I'd call a true drop-back pass play.  It won't make the argument for me if you dig out a single play or two on film where he is seen successfully blocking a pass rusher.  The fact is clear and irrefutable.  He has limited experience pass blocking.  LT is one of the hardest positions to learn in the NFL because there is such a variety of ways an edge rusher can come at you.  Each of those ways requires that the LT has some practice at dealing with.  Beckton does not have that experience.  Remember Brick ???  It took him about three seasons or so before he evened out.  He didn't start playing very well with consistency until Faneca got there.  And Brick has lots of "drop back" pass plays under his belt in college where as Beckton has few.

Look for Beckton to start on the Right side, or perhaps even inside. 

Or... If he starts on the left side... Look for...

Sam drops back... Starts his progression.  Sees a target.  Arm draws back.  

BOOM.

Maybe he gets up.  Maybe he doesn't.  

The Jets drafted Becton to be a tackle, and if he assimilates well in pre-season, you can be sure that is where the Jets will start him, either at LT or RT. 

Louisville and Satterfield ran a zone run scheme, which is what I understand Gase wants to run. That will be helpful for Becton assimilating the offense, at least in that respect.

On pass plays, you can assume they will give him help and chip with a TE or a back. If he is starting on the left side, look for Darnold to roll right, which he likes to do and is a favorite for this offense. 

It is not unusual for a Tackle to start day 1, and there have been recent successes to start right away. Again, it will be determined by how he picks up game speed. This year is certainly a bit different. But does not have to be impossible