Bills RB Josh Allen 'learned a lot' from playoff collapse to Texans

25 minutes ago, GreenCow said:

Allen: 6,304 total yards, 47 Total TD’s, 21 INT ... 15-12 record 

Darnold: 6,089 total yards, 39 Total TD’s, 28 INT ... 11-15 record

If Allen was in Green, this entire forum would be creaming over him going into his 3rd year.

Would the Jets have the Bills roster?

oh

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, shuler82 said:

'all' he has to do is improve his accuracy. Because that's a thing that happens. 

He went from 52.8% in 2018 to 58.8% in 2019 so apparently it is.  He was 1 percentage point behind Sam.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, GreenCow said:

Allen: 6,304 total yards, 47 Total TD’s, 21 INT ... 15-12 record 

Darnold: 6,089 total yards, 39 Total TD’s, 28 INT ... 11-15 record

If Allen was in Green, this entire forum would be creaming over him going into his 3rd year.

I actually like Allen better than a lot of people here, but I don't love running QBs and don't know how sustainable Allen's game is. I'm much more concerned about their throwing numbers, and there Darnold has Allen beat despite playing on an inferior team, with an inferior OL, and inferior receivers. 

Allen would've been my pick if Mayfield & Darnold went #1 & 2, but I'm pretty content with Darnold right now. They're trying to make a game manager out of Allen, which is probably wise. Guy comes out of college with this huge arm and only averages 6.6 yards a throw while completing 56% of his passes? That cannon of his is so far a waste. 

Oh, and you have three posts here talking about the homers on the board who said Brady is underrated? I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess this isn't your first screen name here. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Joejet said:

He went from 52.8% in 2018 to 58.8% in 2019 so apparently it is.  He was 1 percentage point behind Sam.

That's like going from hitting the ocean to hitting Lake Superior.  52.8 % was Hackenberg-esque.  58.8 % is sub-Cam Newton territory.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, slats said:

Sam completed 61.9% of his passes last year. 

You’re right, I was looking at Sam’s career percentages. I too like Sam better but I think that Allen can become a good qb.  Growing up in Western NY as a Jets fan I learned to hate the Bills because everyone else was a Bills fan but I still try to look at individual players with an open mind.  I hate the Pats too but can appreciate the career that Brady has had.

18 hours ago, Joejet said:

I believe that Allen will develop into a top 10-15 qb over the next couple of years. He is big and strong with a good work ethic.  He needs to improve his accuracy and get more experience against nfl type defenses.

Throwing accurately is the most important trait a QB needs, it isn't something you acquire overnight. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Throwing accurately is the most important trait a QB needs, it isn't something you acquire overnight. 

It isn't something you EVER acquire.  If you're inaccurate, you stay inaccurate forever.  No QB in the history of the league has broken that pattern.

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...
5 minutes ago, Joejet said:

Don’t get all butt hurt, sometimes people work at their craft and get better.

Just weird that a Jets fan needs to bump a Josh Allen thread. Don’t we have enough Bills trolls in these parts to handle that? 

i look forward to Sam Darnold making a similar magical leap in 2021.

• Haha 1

On 8/5/2020 at 10:59 AM, JiF said:

The stark contrast between Watson's cool calm and collected demeanor in the game vs. Allen's insanely erratic and careless performance was alarming.  

That said, Allen is a playmaker. I'll give him that but his play is going to lead to these type of performances.  If I were Buffalo, I'd go yolo and commit my offense to his legs like the Ravens did with Jackson.  You cant ask Josh Allen to be a drop back QB.  He's just like, really bad at it. 

This is a post that hasn't aged well.  In fairness though JiF,  no one expected Allen to get so much better this year.  Another step forward?  Sure.  What he has done this year is crazy though.   Not even the biggest Bills' homer would have called what Alen has turned into this year.

7 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

This is a post that hasn't aged well.  In fairness though JiF,  no one expected Allen to get so much better this year.  Another step forward?  Sure.  What he has done this year is crazy though.   Not even the biggest Bills' homer would have called what Alen has turned into this year.

I dont feel bad or embarrassed getting this wrong, nobody in the world saw this coming and if they're claiming they did, they're liars or insane homers.  My assessment at the time was spot on and no different than anyone else for that matter.  What he's doing now, is the best turn around I've ever seen.  He looks like a top 5 QB of the future.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, JiF said:

I dont feel bad or embarrassed getting this wrong, nobody in the world saw this coming and if they're claiming they did, they're liars or insane homers.  My assessment at the time was spot on and no different than anyone else for that matter.  What he's doing now, is the best turn around I've ever seen.  He looks like a top 5 QB of the future.

It's unheard of. He's several degrees better than he was last year. How does this happen? 

2 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

It's unheard of. He's several degrees better than he was last year. How does this happen? 

It's pretty incredible.  I think this is just a solid example of when talent meets structure and identity which are in place to carry out a vision and the Bills have the right staff in place to execute.  The Bills used all resources to build around Josh; FA, trades and the draft.  It just goes to show, there are multiple ways to build a team but you have to have a vision.  And then obviously, Josh has worked really hard to get better.  Kudos to him, he's a very likeable kid.  Kind of pulling for them to be honest.

I honestly cant think of a player who's turned it around like this, especially not in this quick of a time frame.  We've seen guys like Vinny T., Rich Gannon, Jake Plummer, Alex Smith all kind of flail out the gates and get better as veterans.  But none of them seemingly did it over night like this kid has, it's really impressive.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JiF said:

It's pretty incredible.  I think this is just a solid example of when talent meets structure and identity which are in place to carry out a vision and the Bills have the right staff in place to execute.  The Bills used all resources to build around Josh; FA, trades and the draft.  It just goes to show, there are multiple ways to build a team but you have to have a vision.  And then obviously, Josh has worked really hard to get better.  Kudos to him, he's a very likeable kid.  Kind of pulling for them to be honest.

I honestly cant think of a player who's turned it around like this, especially not in this quick of a time frame.  We've seen guys like Vinny T., Rich Gannon, Jake Plummer, Alex Smith all kind of flail out the gates and get better as veterans.  But none of them seemingly did it over night like this kid has, it's really impressive.

His success is a huge win for the 'film grinder' community. The likes of Mel kiper were the only ones banging the table for this kid. The 'metrics' and 'analytics' community shot this kid down as a bust before everybody else. 

8 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

His success is a huge win for the 'film grinder' community. The likes of Mel kiper were the only ones banging the table for this kid. The 'metrics' and 'analytics' community shot this kid down as a bust before everybody else. 

Meh, I disagree.  The film is what scared you and what made him look like a future bust. Sure, there were eye popping plays but it was mixed in with mostly trash.  Dude looked totally inept throwing the Football (much like his first 2 seasons in the NFL).  It was everything else that made the scouts take notice.  The stuff you cant teach and make NFL coaches drool, size, athleticism, arm strength, speed/running ability, work ethic, etc.  The film is why he was the 3rd QB taken and why many had him behind Mayfield, Darnold and Rosen.

• WTF? 1

I like Allen, I liked Allen in 18, but not cause I knew he would be good, because he’s the type of QB I like to root for. I had no idea if he would be good or bad, the most I know about the draft is what I read on here.  And based on here Darnold was a great pick. To me he hasn’t looked remotely good, but what I can’t understand is a lot of Football guys, still think Darnold has the goods, what do they see? And these aren’t guys just looking for clicks. Is it possible for Darnold to turn it around like Allen did? Why do people still think Darnold has “it” but Josh Rosen doesn’t? I’m a football fan not a scout and I go by what I see on an NFL field, what am I missing ?

• 1 year later...