What’s the difference between what Joe Douglas plan and John Idzik?

GreekJet

7 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Ya know, it's really not a bad question. IMO Idzik's plan (outside of potentially trying to get rid of Rex) was very sound. He shed most of the wild Tanny contracts, let older washed up players go, traded a monetary and hold out problem coming off of a major injury and turned him into two draft picks and acquired numerous comp picks in the process. The problem with Idzik is that he completely whiffed on almost every single swing on players he brought in. Decker was a nice get but the drafting was atrocious from the second they took the injured Dee Milliner with his first pick. And remember that CB he brought in that just left in the middle of a game or something like that? WTF was THAT??? lol 

I'd offer that the best reason to have hope JD won't come up with the same results as Idzik is his background. JD has been groomed to be a GM. Idzik was never supposed to be one. JD came from arguably the best GM out there in Ozzie Newsome. It really is a huge difference between the two men. 

But it sure does look a lot like what Idzik was trying to do. JD Just has somethings going for him. He knows football from being a player to his personnel dept. training. Idzik was none of those things. 

WTF was THAT???

Literally made me laugh my ass off! I remember the dude you're talking about I believe he was CB2 from Miami at the time. They talked him up, and then the guy walked out of the stadium in his uniform during the first preseason game and disappeared for three months!?

Also the problem really was Rex Ryan, or at least Woody's loyalty to him. I clearly remember Tannenbaum being thrown under the bus.

At his end-of-the-year press conference I specifically remember Rex Ryan stating that he needed to be more of a 50-50 coach and he would be more involved in the offense. At his first press conference The Following Season, he said he's a defensive coach at heart and he's going to leave the offense to the offensive coaches?

Rex was kissing ass and licking his wounds cuz he knew he should have been s*** canned. Then they brought in John idzik, and he wasn't here six months before they started flying planes with banners because his press conferences were so terrible.

Truth be told there was just no leadership. Nobody had any idea whose plan to follow. Idzik did the same thing every one of us has done in Madden, he got rid of all the high-priced guys, got as many draft picks as he could, got rid of the older guys and tried to build a team. That's what GM'S  are supposed to do.

I think the difference now is Christopher Johnson. He over Woody is a better leader he got Gase in here who got JD in here and I think they have a plan and they're all on the same page. I really like the current setup of front office and coaching staff. I think they're going to be successful.

Funny little tidbit, the other day at his press conference they asked Adam Gase about the fake crowd noise, he said we need something to keep you from hearing Greg Williams, otherwise it would be X-rated LMFAO!

54 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

At least Idzik drafted a QB early....  Geno was by all accounts a first rounder late and we got him in the second.  He was a bust BUT MACC sat pat with journeymen who have never seena playoff game.  Geno's rookie year he has some ability....  and well , his lack of maturity, took over.  I think Idzik was a BAD GM but Mac was worse, by a "smidge". :)

I agree.  At least with Geno you make the easy case that he was trying.  If we’re comparing Macc didn’t really try until Darnold.  Then no support for the kid

• Upvote 1

This may be the most ridiculous thread I've seen here in a long time. Idzik was an accountant. He hadn't a shred of an idea about assessing football talent or putting a team together. Zero. Yes, he saved money. Good for him. And he was the worst draft assessor in history. Terrible. Meanwhile, Douglas has lived and breathed the personnel side of the game. He was literally brilliant in the draft, no matter what complaints we hear about picking Morgan instead of a WR. He's been shrewd in accumulating added talent, particularly the offense, in a weak year for FA. I can't believe I'm actually having to type this. It should be obvious to anyone who is not completely asleep. 

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I love this argument - it’s repeated around here like it’s fact but there’s really no logic behind it.

So, why save cap money?  What’s the point?  If you should never sign high priced FA, what are you doing with all that cap money?  Especially if you’re a team like the Jets and have no one to pay.

The only person worthy of being paid - we traded away, because we didn’t want to pay him.

Spending to the cap on FAs leads to a cap purge and is not a way to build sustainable success. Just because you have $35 million in cap does not mean it makes sense to just go spend that on Clowney and another FA. Cap space goes away really quick, and then once at the cap you wind up continuously pushing money out until you just have to dump it all. In the Jets situation if they build a roster with $25 million in space, then they can pay Darnold without affecting other players. Also remember we have a lot of 1 year contracts, several of which we likely sign long term if they perform so our cap room is very deceptive, plus unlike many clubs we are well positioned for next year.

4 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

At least Idzik drafted a QB early....  Geno was by all accounts a first rounder late and we got him in the second.  He was a bust BUT MACC sat pat with journeymen who have never seena playoff game.  Geno's rookie year he has some ability....  and well , his lack of maturity, took over.  I think Idzik was a BAD GM but Mac was worse, by a "smidge". :)

Wait, what? Geno was exposed as an NFL quarterback. He had no field vision, ran like a chicken with his head cut off, and couldn't throw with consistent accuracy. He was simply unable to process information on the field -- the essential skill of any pro QB. Other than that he had some ability...

1 hour ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Wait, what? Geno was exposed as an NFL quarterback. He had no field vision, ran like a chicken with his head cut off, and couldn't throw with consistent accuracy. He was simply unable to process information on the field -- the essential skill of any pro QB. Other than that he had some ability...

Can't disagree but he has/had all the physical gifts. He threw a 40 yard ball on a rope, he ran a bit.  We went 8-8 with no real talent around him   I'd like to blame Rex for his demise but Geno was UN salvageable.   

They did have similar strategies -- and the overall strategy is a smart one. Use FA to add depth, acquire picks, build through the draft. It's how smart teams operate.

The differences are;

1) Douglas is a football guy with a football pedigree. Played college ball and cut his teeth as a scout in the best scouting organization in the NFL. Idzik was an accountant.

2) Douglas seems to be a well respected, charismatic leader who wants to build a good culture. Idzik was one of the most painfully awkward people you'll ever see on camera.

Verdict is out on Joe but the signs are all positive, IMO. Between Gase, Darnold, and Douglas (three most important men in the org) Douglas is the one I'm most bullish on.

1 hour ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Geno was a poor man’s Mariota.  Mariota was a poor man’s Kaepernick

23 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Can't disagree but he has/had all the physical gifts. He threw a 40 yard ball on a rope, he ran a bit.  We went 8-8 with no real talent around him   I'd like to blame Rex for his demise but Geno was salvageable.   

Salvageable?  Rex got to 8-8 with Geno he should have won a Bronze Star for that

Fun fact: Geno lost the giants playbook and never told his coaches even after it became obvious what had happened 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, GreekJet said:

Can’t help but notice the similarities 

1) Both inherited a HC they could naturally pin the blame on 

2) Both traded away an All-Pro defensive player in the prime of their careers

3) Both chose to roll over tons of cap space their first year despite the fact that their coaches desperately needed to win now to save their jobs 

4) Both signed a lot of bargain basement free agents on one year contracts (Breshad Perriman/Chaz Schillens) 

5) Both set themselves up well for year 2 with cap space and ample draft picks

6) Both had high approval ratings amongst the fan base early on 

Whats the difference?

1) Douglas inherited a more stable QB than Idzik (Sanchez was at the end of his rope when Idzik arrived) 

2) Douglas reports to Chris as opposed to Idzik who reported to Woody

3) Douglas seems much more comfortable talking to the media than Idzik

4) Idzik inherited a much more popular coach than Douglas did

The truth is Idzik had a good plan (just like Douglas). It was just poorly executed. At the end of the day if the Joe Douglas plan is going to work he’s going to have to draft well.

If those draft picks the next few year turn into Dee Milliner, Sheldon Richardson, Geno Smith, Calvin Pryor, and Jace Amaro  the NY Jets will be attempting another rebuild three years from now. 

Hard to argue with this. Idzik is a smart guy.  His Achilles heel was he had no experience or talent drafting. JD by contrast has spent his whole career in personnel work. Only time will tell but the plan is a good one. I’m hopeful about JDs execution.