Would you get on board with Mike Zimmer?

2 hours ago, THE BARON said:

How about Eric Bieniemy and Trevor Lawrence ???  

I'm putting Bieniemy in the same sort of category that I had Joe Douglas in.  Both have been parts of successful operations and both are liked and respected, but neither has actually sat in the big char yet.  Joe Douglas has of late, and he looks to be the right man, but what about Bieniemy ??? Is he the man, or just an assistant that wont pan out if he gets to sail away on his own ??? 

I mean, I'm not saying I'd object to this.  I'm not firmly against Bieniemy and Lawrence is my 1a QB (Fields 1b).  

I just don't understand why someone would want Roman as HC but be opposed to Fields as the QB.  Roman builds systems to work around QB's who can run.  It seems like it would be a solid marriage.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Tezza said:

As a person from MN I would hard pass over Zimmer, he does not have the fire in his belly he once had and has been stale the past few years for the Vikings.

I'd love to see us bring in a coach with a loud personality and can get the guys fired up like. Pete Carroll type of guy!

I'd look into getting this guy

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I mean, I'm not saying I'd object to this.  I'm not firmly against Bieniemy and Lawrence is my 1a QB (Fields 1b).  

I just don't understand why someone would want Roman as HC but be opposed to Fields as the QB.  Roman builds systems to work around QB's who can run.  It seems like it would be a solid marriage.

I understand fully.  Fields appears to be the ideal fit for Roman due to styles.  I see this and agree.

What I'm factoring in.

1. Roman is not a "square peg in round hole" guy.  He's done a fantastic job building his current offense around Jackson even though opposing defenses are getting better at dealing with it.  Regardless, Roman is not a "square peg in round hole" guy like Gase is.  I think Roman can and would make very good use of TL.  It is supposition on my part, but with some good reasoning behind it.

Still... I dont know enough about Bieniemy to favor him over Roman or not.  I hear his name a lot.  He's liked and respected, but I really dont know what he's actually doing.  With Roman, we can be confident that we are sure he can at least design and run and offense.

I'm not saying Bieniemy and Lawrence would not be as good a pairing as Roman and Lawrence, but I cant make any supposition here because I know so little about Bieniemy... 

Also want to say...  If the Jets miss out on Trevor, THEN I would be all in on Fields and Roman.

I like both of them a lot, but I just cant get past my man crush on TL.    

• Upvote 3

18 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Not sure - I always took 'retread' to just mean that the guy has been an NFL head coach before, but it's semantics, regardless. 

I basically don't want a retread. 

I know people cite "no retreads" like that automatically takes a franchise out of contention, but Andy Reid was a retread, no?

Just looking it up, 6 of the last 7 SB winners were won by retread HCs: Reid, Belichick x3, Pederson, Carroll, Kubiak. Yeah I saw all of those games, but I ever really thought about it until just now.

The lone exception was Pederson, who was/is on as thin ice as Gase, and arguably the only reason it hasn't happened yet is no one else in that division can buy a win unless it's against each other lol. Not that I wouldn't trade another decade of futility - which any Jets fan half expects anyway - for 1 SB victory. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

I really believe that Greg Roman will be our next HC the Baltimore connection to Joe Douglas seems to indicate that. As for Greg Roman he looks like he can be a good HC for us, Trevor is a mobile QB, not Lamar of course but more like Josh Allen and already in college he looks like a better passer than both of those guys. As for DC that is a great question, If Zimmer is let go he should be one of the targets. Another Guy that deserves a Interview for hc is Arthur Smith from the Titans, I would be happy with any of then

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I know people cite "no retreads" like that automatically takes a franchise out of contention, but Andy Reid was a retread, no?

Correct. That's why I wrote that there were certain guys I would do it for (e.g. Sean Payton) - Guys who have been particularly successful for an extended period of time.

But Mike Zimmer doesn't qualify for me. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, slimjasi said:

Correct. That's why I wrote that there were certain guys I would do it for (e.g. Sean Payton) - Guys who have been particularly successful for an extended period of time.

But Mike Zimmer doesn't qualify for me. 

Yeah it wasn't an endorsement of Zimmer, and maybe I just singled you out even though it could have been any among 100 posters here, but people reflexively chime in with "no retreads" like they're citing religious verse.

As you say, it depends. A coaching hire isn't automatically good or bad because of the presence or absence of past NFL HC experience. All other things being equal, though, I would feel more comfortable with at least some HC experience, and not just for a college team that gets a disproportionate number of the top HS recruits to go there. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

I really believe that Greg Roman will be our next HC the Baltimore connection to Joe Douglas seems to indicate that. As for Greg Roman he looks like he can be a good HC for us, Trevor is a mobile QB, not Lamar of course but more like Josh Allen and already in college he looks like a better passer than both of those guys. As for DC that is a great question, If Zimmer is let go he should be one of the targets. Another Guy that deserves a Interview for hc is Arthur Smith from the Titans, I would be happy with any of then

Roman would be one of my top picks. 

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I would give up the Seattle 1st round pick in a trade for Sean Payton.  Maybe more.

I think Payton's contract runs through 2025. It's doubtful they want him to go anywhere & begin a new HC search of their own. 

Of course this year the Saints look like they're a Brees/Darnold swap away from being 1-5 themselves.

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think Payton's contract runs through 2025. It's doubtful they want him to go anywhere & begin a new HC search of their own. 

Of course this year the Saints look like they're a Brees/Darnold swap away from being 1-5 themselves.

It runs thru 2023.  I think there's logic to the 2 sides parting ways.  The Saints need draft capital as they prepare to completely tear down.  And Payton probably has little interest in being there for that.  

BONUS BREAKDOWN CAP DETAILS CASH DETAILS  
YEAR   AGE BASE SALARY CAP HIT DEAD CAP YEARLY CASH  
2018 Contract details by year 54 - - - -  
2019 Contract details by year 55 - - - -  
2020 Contract details by year 56 - - - -  
2021 Contract details by year 57 - - - -  
2022 Contract details by year 58 - - - -  
2023 Free Agent Year 59 UFA  

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It runs thru 2023.  I think there's logic to the 2 sides parting ways.  The Saints need draft capital as they prepare to completely tear down.  And Payton probably has little interest in being there for that.  

I only pulled up one article here that reported he signed a 5-year extension in Sept 2019, when he was in year 4 of a 5 year contract. That suggests his prior deal would have run out after the 2020 season (unless they worded it poorly) and then he signed an extension for 5 years beyond that: 2021-2025.

Here's another that says he's the Saints HC through the 2024 season, so maybe the nfl.com article worded it badly. 

Either way he's not only there through 2023. In the first article he talks about how happy he is there, and how that's "home" for him & his family. A team doesn't give him a $10MM/year extension if they want to dump him a year later. 

21 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I'm sure everyone is chomping at the bit to discuss another hypothetical scenario for next year, but this one is particularly intriguing to me.

My father-in-law is a huge Vikings fan.  I consider him pretty knowledgeable and level headed when it comes to sports.  He's on a Vikings message board similar to this(I'm sure not quite as good though).

Any way, he says the Vikings fan base is really starting to splinter on Zimmer and that some of the local MN media he reads is starting to wonder aloud how long he will be there.

My question for all you folks would be would you approve of Mike Zimmer as the next coach?   I find it an interesting discussion because 1) He's a good coach. 2) Not sure he's a great coach.  3) He's not an offensive guy. 4) But his offenses have been pretty good over the years

My opinion is he'd be a good hire simply because I think at worst, he is a good enough coach to help develop players.  

My question for your father in law....was Cousins worth it?

22 hours ago, freestater said:

I know I'm gonna get killed for this but I really wouldnt mind Jack Del Rio. 

I completely agree! He never had a QB in Jax, but when he had Carr - he was a broken leg away from a Super Bowl run.  He is my first choice amongst experienced HCs.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Why would they need to completely teat down?  They are a very young and talented team outside of Brees.

7 hours ago, carlito1171 said:

Bieniemy get sh!t on around here and I honestly can't understand why. 

Before people reply with the obvious, what makes Bieniemy less qualified then Pedersen and Nagy when they got hired to HC positions? 

That goes back to my point that Reid’s coaching tree has been successful 

• Upvote 1

I am so on the Roman or Bienemy bandwagon if we draft TL or Fields. 

Trade Sam for Thomas. Draft Pitts & Najee Harris or Ettiene, use a 3rd to do, or maybe JD has some more magic trading back with his 2nd #1. 

What we all need to be cheering for is Seattle getting knocked out of the playoffs in a 1 & done scenario.