Would you get on board with Mike Zimmer?

3 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Zimmer has never groomed a rookie QB. That is why, if you want a safe, transitional HC, you go with Jason Garrett.

I mentioned Jason Garrett the other day.  I'm not saying he's my preferred choice or anything like that but he might be a reasonable fallback option in the event everyone we do want turns us down.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I'm sure everyone is chomping at the bit to discuss another hypothetical scenario for next year, but this one is particularly intriguing to me.

My father-in-law is a huge Vikings fan.  I consider him pretty knowledgeable and level headed when it comes to sports.  He's on a Vikings message board similar to this(I'm sure not quite as good though).

Any way, he says the Vikings fan base is really starting to splinter on Zimmer and that some of the local MN media he reads is starting to wonder aloud how long he will be there.

My question for all you folks would be would you approve of Mike Zimmer as the next coach?   I find it an interesting discussion because 1) He's a good coach. 2) Not sure he's a great coach.  3) He's not an offensive guy. 4) But his offenses have been pretty good over the years

My opinion is he'd be a good hire simply because I think at worst, he is a good enough coach to help develop players.  

You're a really good poster. We'll pretend this didn't happen. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, peebag said:

Yea, it's going to be the same result as before.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Let's hope the Johnson boys stay out of it and let their expensive new GM do his job. No pre-conditions, no micro-managing assistant choices, no hiring based on salary. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I'm sure everyone is chomping at the bit to discuss another hypothetical scenario for next year, but this one is particularly intriguing to me.

My father-in-law is a huge Vikings fan.  I consider him pretty knowledgeable and level headed when it comes to sports.  He's on a Vikings message board similar to this(I'm sure not quite as good though).

Any way, he says the Vikings fan base is really starting to splinter on Zimmer and that some of the local MN media he reads is starting to wonder aloud how long he will be there.

My question for all you folks would be would you approve of Mike Zimmer as the next coach?   I find it an interesting discussion because 1) He's a good coach. 2) Not sure he's a great coach.  3) He's not an offensive guy. 4) But his offenses have been pretty good over the years

My opinion is he'd be a good hire simply because I think at worst, he is a good enough coach to help develop players.  

I think the jets need to avoid two types of coaches. One type are the newbies without any experience as a head coach or even as a well travelled coordinator.  The second type are coaches who are hired the very next season after being fired. Give these guys some time to figure out how they might have done something better.  But Zimmer might be a good hire as a defensive coordinator.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

If we are going the NFL retread route, it needs to be a bigger splash than Zimmer. Like Sean Payton big. 

Serious question -- is it a "retread" if a coach isn't fired from his previous job but is lured away as a free agent or traded for?

Always thought retreads we guys who got canned before, elsewhere.

No, but if we’re in a scenario between him and another Gase then yeah.

His teams always play hard, smart, and disciplined. It’s odd though, he seemed to OVER-PERFORM with a lesser roster when he first started in Minnesota.

As soon as they got a Super Bowl roster, he (and Kirk Cousins) seemed to underperform. 

28 minutes ago, jgb said:

Serious question -- is it a "retread" if a coach isn't fired from his previous job but is lured away as a free agent or traded for?

Always thought retreads we guys who got canned before, elsewhere.

Not sure - I always took 'retread' to just mean that the guy has been an NFL head coach before, but it's semantics, regardless. 

I basically don't want a retread. 

6 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Pretty fair evaluation...sign me up anyome but Gase at this point

As a person from MN I would hard pass over Zimmer, he does not have the fire in his belly he once had and has been stale the past few years for the Vikings.

I'd love to see us bring in a coach with a loud personality and can get the guys fired up like. Pete Carroll type of guy!

No way!!!  There are too many intriguing offensive coaches in the NFL
now to hire a retread like Zimmer:

- Bienemy KC
- Smith TEN
- Daboll BUF
- McDaniel SF
- LaFleur SF

And that doesn't even touch the college level with guys like:

- Campbell Iowa St.
- Riley OK

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Honestly, I can think of a lot worse options.

Certainly not my #1 choice (that’s Harbaugh in a landslide), but I’d probably prefer him over most of the coordinators with zero head coaching experience that have been talked about.

I always thought Garrett would turn into a very good coach. He played in the league and he's got brains (Princeton grad). He just never got over the hump. Unlike Rex and Gase, however, Garrett has stepped away from being a HC for a season. Maybe he will be a different kind of guy the second time around. I think he's respected in league circles and would give the Jets some credibility (although nowhere nearly as much as someone like Harbaugh would). 

• Upvote 2

Absolutely not.  The dude is horrible at clock management, is an ass backwards dinosaur when it comes to offensive philosophy (he fired all of his “pass first” coordinators because they “didn’t run the ball enough”), and he lacks any sort of accountability (he’s scapegoated every single one of the aforementioned coordinators).  

He’s the hard ass version of Rex Ryan, and that isn’t supposed to be a compliment.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

If we're going to hire a defensive minded coach as head coach, I'd prefer the Jets hire Saleh from SF over Zimmer.

I'm by no means advocating for the Jets to re-hire Bowles, as that's like a dog returning to its vomit, but there seems to be talk building that Bowles is going to get another shot at HC based on his work with Tampa Bay last season and this. Could actually benefit the Jets by increasing the pool of available coaches for the head coaching gig.

8 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

No, he's the exact same coach they've been trying for years. He's just switching back to the coordinator in chief having a defensive background. 

I can't fathom how anyone could think he'd be a good hire. He has all the same problems that Rex and Bowles had...

Gase is causing a derangement amongst Jets fans who think that going from suck to blow is something to aspire to..

Exactly.

I can't fathom how people can see the game evolve into a pass first game and want an old school ground and pound coach to come here and develop a stud like Lawrence.

It's the same crew that wanted Mike mccarthy. 

We need a young offensive minded guru whose claim to fame isn't standing on the sidelines cheering on Peyton Manning.

• Upvote 1

Zimmer has his faults.

There are 2 players on the Vikings (PLAYERS) that have as many touchdowns as the Jets Offense (so far).

So, from what I can see, any of the proposed HC candidates would be an improvement over Gase except Biennemy, who I think it’s not going to do well.  Just my hunch.  too personally flawed.  

16 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This makes little sense.  Roman and Fields would be a very logical, excellent pairing.  

How about Eric Bieniemy and Trevor Lawrence ???  

I'm putting Bieniemy in the same sort of category that I had Joe Douglas in.  Both have been parts of successful operations and both are liked and respected, but neither has actually sat in the big char yet.  Joe Douglas has of late, and he looks to be the right man, but what about Bieniemy ??? Is he the man, or just an assistant that wont pan out if he gets to sail away on his own ??? 

17 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He's been entrusted with a lot of talent in Minnesota and had very mixed results.  2 division titles, 3 playoff appearances, 2 playoff wins...good.  3 seasons with 8 wins or less (likely about to have a 4th this year), and currently 1-5...not good at all.

You could do worse than Zimmer but I hope we can do a lot better.  It would be a very unimaginative hire.  A fairly high floor option with a low ceiling.

They’re 1-5 because that roster’s window has closed

Zimmer overachieved with not great QBs like Bridgewater and Keenum.  Cousins isn’t great either.  Jets could do a whole lot worse and have multiple times

11 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

I'm putting Bieniemy in the same sort of category that I had Joe Douglas in.  Both have been parts of successful operations and both are liked and respected, but neither has actually sat in the big char yet.  Joe Douglas has of late, and he looks to be the right man, but what about Bieniemy ??? Is he the man, or just an assistant that wont pan out if he gets to sail away on his own ??? 

It’s looking like the Bienemy/Lawrence pairing is inevitable 

I’m not a huge Bienemy guy but that said Reid’s coaching tree has a lot more success than Belichick’s

8 hours ago, varjet said:

Zimmer has his faults.

There are 2 players on the Vikings (PLAYERS) that have as many touchdowns as the Jets Offense (so far).

So, from what I can see, any of the proposed HC candidates would be an improvement over Gase except Biennemy, who I think it’s not going to do well.  Just my hunch.  too personally flawed.  

I’d rather have Zimmer over Bienemy 

29 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

It’s looking like the Bienemy/Lawrence pairing is inevitable 

I’m not a huge Bienemy guy but that said Reid’s coaching tree has a lot more success than Belichick’s

I don't have any objection to Bienemy other than he has not sat in the big chair yet.  I'm less worried about Greg Roman moving to HC because his experience running an offense is absolute.  I don't know a lot about Bienemy other than he's been an assistant on successful units.  How much is he actually doing ???  Some input from those that know the score would be helpful...

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

Bieniemy get sh!t on around here and I honestly can't understand why. 

Before people reply with the obvious, what makes Bieniemy less qualified then Pedersen and Nagy when they got hired to HC positions? 

6 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

Bieniemy get sh!t on around here and I honestly can't understand why. 

Before people reply with the obvious, what makes Bieniemy less qualified then Pedersen and Nagy when they got hired to HC positions? 

We need more discussion on Bieniemy.  I don't know a much about his current function. 

• Upvote 1