Who Do You Blame: Sam or The Jets?

Who Do You Blame: Sam or The Jets?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Who Do You Blame: Sam or The Jets?

• Sam Darnold
    • The New York Jets Organization (Owners, GMs, Coaches, etc)

4 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Haven't read through the thread but I'm assuming that the only two choices are Franchise QB (whatever the hell that means) or Dogsh*t

I'm also sure there's a weponz argument raging and no mention of whether the coach or offensive line or a competent running game as wepones

The “I Always Hated Sam” crowd think a young qb can succeed with lousy coaching and surrounded by horrible players

3 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

The “I Always Hated Sam” crowd think a young qb can succeed with lousy coaching and surrounded by horrible players

They should eat in a restaurant where the featured ingredient is dog sh*t so they can blame the Chef. Might be a sh*tty chef anyway, but who can say for sure, especially since throughout his culinary career he was only given dogsh*t to work with, so that's all he knows. 

1 minute ago, Gastineau Lives said:

They should eat in a restaurant where the featured ingredient is dog sh*t so they can blame the Chef. Might be a sh*tty chef anyway, but who can say for sure?

Look at the rosters the bills, ravens and browns have and compare to the Jets.  It’s not even close

22 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

You can use that argument in looking at his stats and W/L record. But the problem is Sam is failing at the mental aspect of the game , he can't read defenses , throws to the non open receiver, can't diagnose a blitz, throws into triple coverage and shows the fire of a high school librarian. I watched part of the Dolphins game on Sunday and saw Tua check off at the line and hit a quick  hot read on a Blitz , when was the last time we saw Sam do that - and he's been in the NFL 3 years.  

Sam was a young QB who didn't have a lot of college game experience but had the physical tools and seemed to be a smart kid.

The organization should have recognized that and built around him with that in mind, meaning a quality coaching staff to develop him correctly and obtain quality players on offense to support him. The organization failed to do that on all levels.

Now the kid is broken and it's time to move on. Sad

Sam looked okay under Bowles.  Plenty of NFL QB's come off the bench and look great only to be quickly diagnosed by tape never to be heard from again.  Gase has a record that indicates he is not a great HC but not the worst HC in the league by a long shot.  He also did a very good job with a decimated team last year.  It goes completely against the Gase is the worst coach in the NFL nonsense.  And no that doesn't mean we should retain him.  

Sam was okay last year.  He melted down and seemed to get a grip late against an easy schedule.  While he was far from great down the stretch he didn't implode and the team found ways to win.  

My take is the Jets had some opt outs and bad injuries early.  There was real doubt there would even be a full season.  There was clearly no real training camp or pre-season.  The Jets unloaded their best player for picks and made a decision to not spend and evaluate the entire roster this year.  It's clear Sam can't function with the surrounding talent.  It's also clear the Jets management wasn't all in on this year.  

I don't believe management, Douglas and Gase gave up on Sam if they did he would have been traded in the offseason when he's value would have been at it's peak. Now the Jets have a shot at the No. 1 pick who is more than a raw, talented prospect and Sam may have made the decision that they couldn't make at the end of last year for them.    

Sam was always a high caliber prospect who needed development.  He was never Andrew Luck or Payton Manning coming out.  He was not a highly polished QB with the mechanics and progression thinking that the top, ready to play rookies, have.  The kid got an incredible amount of hype way before he did anything at USC.  He was thrown into the fire and was serviceable but never really a good QB.  He did show some real talent in small doses.  

As a Jets fan I want Sam to be successful and the coaching staff to be successful.  The problem with Sam is there is no indication he is going to be an elite NFL QB without a couple of years of development which might include serious time not playing.  Sadly his rookie contract has been squandered and that really is because Mac and the owners bought in on starting him from day 1.  I'm not even sure that was Bowles decision, if it was it was a mistake.  The Jets are going to be able to vastly upgrade the players around the QB next year.  Sam, although given a very bad hand, still isn't ready.  

Sam is probably done here.  I hope he gets a chance to sit and learn the position and develops into the player we all hoped he would be.  Time to move on.  

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Not true.  Gase benched Tannehill in 2018, tried to make it look like an injury and not coaches decision, and then had a meltdown in a press conference when he got caught

Tannehill was never benched in 2018.  He was injured.  Saying it doesn't make it true. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

They should eat in a restaurant where the featured ingredient is dog sh*t so they can blame the Chef. Might be a sh*tty chef anyway, but who can say for sure, especially since throughout his culinary career he was only given dogsh*t to work with, so that's all he knows. 

He had excellent weapons and coaching at USC.  Outside of one tremendous Rose Bowl performance, he mostly sucked there, too.  He racked up 36 turnovers in 27 games. 

His fumbling issue in particular was concerning in college.  His 11 fumbles in his final year at USC was the most by a 1st round QB since 2007. 

• Upvote 1