Who Do You Blame: Sam or The Jets?

Who Do You Blame: Sam or The Jets?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Who Do You Blame: Sam or The Jets?

• Sam Darnold
    • The New York Jets Organization (Owners, GMs, Coaches, etc)

6 hours ago, BUM-KNEE said:

I'm not gonna blame Sam, it's the coaches that didn't put him in a situation to succeed. The owners know zippo about football, so it's hard to blame them much. Still, they could've demanded the young QB had some top notch guidance through all this.

Ultimately this is the fault of Woody and his even bigger idiot bro

They let Bowles stick around way too long.  Let Macagnan botch multiple drafts and make one dumb signing after another.  And then, they find the one head coach who is somehow worse than Bowles

• Upvote 1

As far as I'm concerned, you can blame the Jets all you want, but unless you want to blame them for the draft pick, they actually got the 2nd best possible outcome here.

Keeping Robby Anderson wasn't going to make Darnold good.  Overpaying a couple of FA's wasn't going to make Darnold good.  Keeping Jamal Adams wasn't going to make Darnold good.  Sure, it may have made us 4-12 vs. 0-16, but Darnold is still bad, even with a few more wins.

The good news is, we're not going to toil away with Darnold for years like we did Pennington or Sanchez.  We quickly discovered he's not the answer and we're in a position to replace him, with extra draft capital, and plenty of cap space.  Option 1) Darnold is a Franchise QB.  Option 2) Darnold is not, and we move on quickly and painlessly.  Option 3-X) We keep running him out there hoping for that 9-7 Wildcard season.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Gase has a very thin resume of success but nothing in his resume points to this.  He also has never had a QB play as consistently poorly as Sam.

Because he had Peyton Manning in Denver and a way better supporting cast for Tannehill, who was a Checkdown stiff Gase was eventually forced to bench

8 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Because he had Peyton Manning in Denver and a way better supporting cast for Tannehill, who was a Checkdown stiff Gase was eventually forced to bench

Gase did not bench Tannehill.  He was injured.  Philbin threatened to bench him for Moore, not sure if he ever actually did. 

Pretty clearly both.

I think situation is extremely important for a young QB. I think good coaching, stability, and talent around him is important. Some QBs walk into great situations that are tailored to their strengths. Others walk into tough situations.

When great players walk into great situations you end up with Mahomes -- superstar talent, elite coach, playmakers everywhere. Guy is about to run the league for the next fifteen years.

When great players walk into crappy situations you end up with Deshaun Watson. Obvious playmaker, but he's banged up, injured, the team is a mess.

When mediocre talents walk into great situations you get Jared Goff or Carson Wentz -- guys who look very good when the situation is great and struggle when things aren't as rosy. 

When you play as bad as Darnold? It really feels like quadrant four -- mediocre talent in a bad situation, everything implodes. Certainly Mike Maccagnan and Adam Gase shoulder a significant degree of failure with regard to Darnold's lack of progression. But when you play this poorly in your third year clearly there's something wrong there. He's not getting better, he's getting worse and there's obvious major accountability there.

Darnold, to his credit, isn't making excuses. He knows he's playing like crap. A change of scenery is inevitable.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

As far as I'm concerned, you can blame the Jets all you want, but unless you want to blame them for the draft pick, they actually got the 2nd best possible outcome here.

Keeping Robby Anderson wasn't going to make Darnold good.  Overpaying a couple of FA's wasn't going to make Darnold good.  Keeping Jamal Adams wasn't going to make Darnold good.  Sure, it may have made us 4-12 vs. 0-16, but Darnold is still bad, even with a few more wins.

The good news is, we're not going to toil away with Darnold for years like we did Pennington or Sanchez.  We quickly discovered he's not the answer and we're in a position to replace him, with extra draft capital, and plenty of cap space.  Option 1) Darnold is a Franchise QB.  Option 2) Darnold is not, and we move on quickly and painlessly.  Option 3-X) We keep running him out there hoping for that 9-7 Wildcard season.

Pennington was good though don’t @ me

4 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Pennington was good though don’t @ me

Pennington was good but when he broke down to injuries, as sad as that was, he was just a shell of his former self. I wanted to hold on to the possibility he could be a dink and dunk game manager but the Jets never surrounded him with the players he needed to do that after they Dumped Moss and then Coles and never had a TE to speak of. So in this case you knew what Pennington was he just didnt have it anymore but ya had  a guy who could manage a game. What exactly does Darnold bring and what other than a few really cool plays (which are few and far between) has he brought to the table.

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Sam has had two horrible coaches and a horrible supporting cast.

But apparently that means nothing and doesnt even become a consideration.

While somehow ever conversation Ive heard from so called insiders is that people around the league think just that

Just now, Jet Nut said:

But apparently that means nothing and doesnt even become a consideration.

While somehow ever conversation Ive heard from so called insiders is that people around the league think just that

No one said it's not a consideration. Just that by far the most likely scenario is that Sam Darnold is a bad QB on a bad team.

I wish someone could give me a list of all the highly touted QBs who came in league, recently under the new start then right away approach, who was given a HC, CS, WR unit, OL, RB core as horrific as this abortion put together the last 3 years and who became a FQB.  I cant think of one team.  

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

How to diagnose Alzheimer's early: Eye changes may be clue See the lack of NFL talent 

The Idea of the Brain' explores the evolution of neuroscience | Science News can figure out how bad the coaching has been

The Idea of the Brain' explores the evolution of neuroscience | Science Newscant figure out how big the effect is.

I raced Usain Bolt in a 100m charity event. I lost by 6 seconds. I realized after that my shoe was untied. Guess we'll never know what the outcome would've been if I had remembered to tie it beforehand.

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

Ok, let's concede that point for the sake of discussion.

Plenty of people could not be the worst QB in the NFL under these circumstances.

No QB that was treated this way in their first 3 years would do much better.

Heck, they plugged in a legitimate franchise, SB MVP, QB - that fared no better or IMO, worse.

10 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

No QB that was treated this way in their first 3 years would do much better.

Heck, they plugged in a legitimate franchise, SB MVP, QB - that fared no better or IMO, worse.

I mean, he did fare a little bit better, and come on, it's intellectually dishonest to compare Joe Flacco in 2020 to Joe Flacco in 2012.  But, if we are, just looking at some stats, his QB Rating this year is frankly, pretty similar to his career QB rating.  Completion percentage is down, but TD/INT ratio is similar or better and YPC is on par with his career.

This year, Darnold has started 9 games and has 5 TD passes on the season.  Flacco has started 4 (playing in 5) and has 6 TD passes.  Half as many games, and he's thrown more TDs.  And, he's old and washed up.

4 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I mean, he did fare a little bit better, and come on, it's intellectually dishonest to compare Joe Flacco in 2020 to Joe Flacco in 2012.  But, if we are, just looking at some stats, his QB Rating this year is frankly, pretty similar to his career QB rating.  Completion percentage is down, but TD/INT ratio is similar or better and YPC is on par with his career.

I completely disagree with this.

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I completely disagree with this.

That's okay.  The numbers don't.  It's also irrelevant to the point of how dishonest it is to frame Flacco as a SB MVP QB that couldn't get it done in this offense when he hasn't played at that level in an extremely long time.

• Upvote 1

It’s the Jets organization. We now know Sam is a flawed QB. The Jets could have and should have done more to limit his deficiencies.  This wouldn’t have made him FQB, but we wouldn’t be as bad.

Lamar is a better QB but the Ravens also play to his strengths. Buffalo last year made Allen a 1 or 2 read QB. Darnold is probably better of working with half the field and running some basic RPOs. 

34 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I wish someone could give me a list of all the highly touted QBs who came in league, recently under the new start then right away approach, who was given a HC, CS, WR unit, OL, RB core as horrific as this abortion put together the last 3 years and who became a FQB.  I cant think of one team.  

Again if the QB is the most important piece , doesn't a FQB make those other things better . which is cause ,which is causation. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

That's okay.  The numbers don't.  It's also irrelevant to the point of how dishonest it is to frame Flacco as a SB MVP QB that couldn't get it done in this offense when he hasn't played at that level in an extremely long time.

Of course he's not the same guy...never said he was, but you made it seemed like anyone would be doing okay in this offense and Darnold is the worst QB in the NFL...I just pointed out that a legitimate veteran has been just as bad.  

Try and blame it on the 3rd year QB that's been handled as poorly as any high level prospect ever has - fine with me...but I'm not buying it.  Darnold's 1st year was very promising....

We will eventually find out.