Ja'Marr Chase

k-met57

is he generally regarded as worthy or a top 3 pick?....after rewatching a bunch of games from last year as well as the championship game...i think taking a year off may hurt him.

is it just me or did it seem like Jefferson was the guy running the good routes on that team? he was the big play guy for sure, but i think i counted 3 routes he ran the entire national championship game.

he may be a guy that really needs for the combine to happen, otherwise he may drop a bit more than people think.

46 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

is he generally regarded as worthy or a top 3 pick?....after rewatching a bunch of games from last year as well as the championship game...i think taking a year off may hurt him.

God no. 

6 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

He has ridiculous talent and is probably the best WR in the draft. 

1st round talent - yea probably. He could just as easily be WR3... Some are concerned he won't test well. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

This.

He had a DeVonta Smith type season last year... and is 30 lbs heavier. 

Yep. Agreed. 

Dude averaged like 21 yards a catch last year. 

It will be interesting to see how the opt out hurts some of these guys, though. I personally am not sure how much weight to give that. 

Just now, Paradis said:

God no. 

1st round talent - year probably. He could just as easily be WR3... Some are concerned he won't test well. 

I guess I am just really high on him but I thought he was legitimately one of the best players in the country last year. 

Test well in what regard? 

33 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

He is a top 10 pick and w/o the holdout probably a top 5 pick .  I like him better than Smith as I think he has a better frame is better on contested catches and will fare better against the jam wr's see at the LOS in the NFL. 

Mims is out contested catch guy, grab Smith to be our game changer guy.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

It will be interesting to see how the opt out hurts some of these guys, though. I personally am not sure how much weight to give that. 

I think the only move for any of those guys during the opt-out was to prepare for the combine/pro day for an entire year. 

If they weren't doing that... they've made a huge blunder. 

I have much respect for @Paradis and while I haven't read anything that backs up his assessment, I'd be giddy AF if Chase fell to the 23rd pick.

Just now, RedBeardedSavage said:

I think the only move for any of those guys during the opt-out was to prepare for the combine/pro day for an entire year. 

I have much respect for @Paradis and while I haven't read anything that backs up his assessment, I'd be giddy AF if Chase fell to the 23rd pick.

I'd be shocked if that happened, but would be banging the table for him right along with you. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

36 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

He is a top 10 pick and w/o the holdout probably a top 5 pick .  I like him better than Smith as I think he has a better frame is better on contested catches and will fare better against the jam wr's see at the LOS in the NFL. 

This is interesting because Penei Sewell has been considered a Top 2 pick and w/o the holdout probably a top 2 pick.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I guess I am just really high on him but I thought he was legitimately one of the best players in the country last year. 

Test well in what regard? 

Need to keep perspective here - we're talking about some of the best players at their position. Chase is a great talent. He'll  be taken early. maybe top 10, maybe top 30, but its not likely he slips into rnd 2...

There's some speed concerns out there. Some pundits think he'll barely scrape by under 4.5 - which before you scoff at - let's not forget how dismissive some were about speed/separation concerns w/ N'Keal Harry... who's been total fcking bust for those exact reasons. 

Not saying Chase will bust (I'm not overly worried) but he could wind up clocking in a 4.47 or 4.48... despite youtube. 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

is it just me or did it seem like Jefferson was the guy running the good routes on that team? he was the big play guy for sure, but i think i counted 3 routes he ran the entire national championship game.

he may be a guy that really needs for the combine to happen, otherwise he may drop a bit more than people think.

He will hurt his stock, all the players that opted out will. I've heard there is a group of people who don't believe Sewell is the top Guard after missing a year.

Just now, Paradis said:

Need to keep perspective here - we're talking about some of the best players at their position. Chase is a great talent. He'll  be taken early. maybe top 10, maybe top 30, but its not likely he slips into rnd 2...

There's some speed concerns out there. Some pundits think he'll barely scrape by under 4.5 - which before you scoff at - let's not forget how dismissive some of you were about the speed and separation concerns w/ N'Keal Harry... who's been total fcking bust for those exact reasons. 

Not saying Chase will bust (I'm not overly worried) but he could very clock in a 4.47 or 4.48... despite youtube. 

Ahh, speed concerns. Fair enough. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

haha, you beat me to it - was about to post this. 

Jeremiah has Sewell as his #2 tackle . . . 

I will say that there could be a slight difference in the Chase situation as there is at least one other WR that's absolutely Top 5-ish in Devonta Smith.  After Sewell there seems to be a drop-off until somewhere around #15 where guys like OT Slater and others start getting considered.

If this was like last year where there were 3-4 Top 12 OTs (Andrew Thomas, Becton, Wirfs, Wills) and one guy had sat out the season I think that one guy would drop a bit.  With Sewell, it might not matter as long as he rolls through the Combine/Pro Day circuit in shape and looks like the same guy everyone saw in 2019.

31 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

appreciate it - we'll see what kind of chatter  comes out of Combine/pro day talk.... sometimes when there's nothing to talk about, people make up things to talk about... 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

This is interesting because Penei Sewell has been considered a Top 2 pick and w/o the holdout probably a top 2 pick.

Because another Olineman didn't just grab the attention by playing on a college all star team and winning the Heisman.

• Upvote 1

Ja'Marr Chase is going to be a stud.  Natural born wide receiver who does all the little things right.  He's a very good route runner, excellent at tracking the ball, and very strong at the catch point.  You don't need to be a burner to be a top WR in this league.

Stephon Diggs and Amari Cooper are good comps for him.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

Ja'Marr Chase is going to be a stud.  Natural born wide receiver who does all the little things right.  He's a very good route runner, excellent at tracking the ball, and very strong at the catch point.  You don't need to be a burner to be a top WR in this league.

Stephon Diggs and Amari Cooper are good comps for him.

isnt Cooper like an all world route runner? i watched a few LSU games....i did not see Chase run complex routes at all. Great beating the press, great running go, post and slant routes...but things like timing routes, working the sidelines...didnt see it.

EDIT: i am going to watch this video, didnt watch before writing this

Heard Daniel Jeremiah say today that Chase was his top WR and to stop saying Sewell is a generational talent - he is not. He was around Ogden and Joe Thomas and he doesn't view him on that level and he is the #2 tackle on his board. Hearing this I would stay far away from Sewell if we don't go QB - we need a center and guard anyhow and can get them later. Trade down a bit or just pick Chase. There is no pass rusher worthy of that pick. 

• Upvote 1