Structure of org

WowOhWow

2 minutes ago, WowOhWow said:

You think they'll announce at the intro new conf that they've changed the structure (just to put a nice little cherry on top)? 

Sure seems like JD hired Saleh, would be great if he reported to him.

I don't think they'll be any announcement of it, (ego), but the way things are going with the clear headed thinking in the HC hire, and CJ's remark, IMO Douglas is in charge of football operations.  Hymie the money.

Not sure it matters much now that JD picked the coach and their contracts are co-terminus.

As an aside - it looks like Jax is going with the Coach>Owner  GM>Owner

Jaguars coach Urban Meyer said he won't call plays.

The Jaguars will hire an offensive coordinator, potentially LSU's Scott Linehan to handle playcalling. We'd still expect Meyer to be heavily involved in Jacksonville's offense, but this should help lessen the load in his first season. Owner Shad Khan confirmed Meyer will be involved in hiring the next GM and have input in roster decisions. Both Meyer and the GM will report directly to Khan.

It doesn't matter who reports to who.  The culture of the Johnson's is to make the HC decision themselves.  Also, it can be a rather humiliating situation for Saleh and we want to avoid that.  Guys like Bowles and Gase can report directly to ownership but Salah can't?  Not a good optic at all.

SAR I

• Haha 1

The structure isn't an issue per se. The question is what happens the first time JD and Saleh don't see eye-to-eye on something. I have little confidence in Woody to mediate a professional dispute and prevent it from getting political. Changing the org structure is a quick way to reduce Woody's involvement in contentious situations. That's a good thing IMHO.

1 hour ago, jgb said:

The structure isn't an issue per se. The question is what happens the first time JD and Saleh don't see eye-to-eye on something. I have little confidence in Woody to mediate a professional dispute and prevent it from getting political. Changing the org structure is a quick way to reduce Woody's involvement in contentious situations. That's a good thing IMHO.

And what's to stop after the first time theres a disagreement that serious, you dont think Saleh or JD can get the ear of their owner to themselves?  

Someone said it perfectly, I think it was Vacciano, it makes no difference as long as everyone is open and theres communication.  

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

And what's to stop after the first time theres a disagreement that serious, you dont think Saleh or JD can get the ear of their owner to themselves?  

Someone said it perfectly, I think it was Vacciano, it makes no difference as long as everyone is open and theres communication.  

How it should work. Again, no confidence that it will work that way. Just too many GM/HC rifts during Woody's tenure for me to think any other way, right now.

Either reporting structure can work, but the top down structure is better. If JD is the boss, ownership is kept informed on football matters by JD. In a dual reporting structure, ownership mediates between two football groups. It is easier to keep the football professionals making the decisions with the former approach than the latter. 

10 minutes ago, jgb said:

How it should work. Again, no confidence that it will work that way. Just too many GM/HC rifts during Woody's tenure for me to think any other way, right now.

I dont know, seems to work anywhere else its been used.  Woody for one isnt here and I dont see all the rifts we've had and how the reporting system is what caused them

7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I dont know, seems to work anywhere else its been used.  Woody for one isnt here and I dont see all the rifts we've had and how the reporting system is what caused them

Woody's back shortly. Again, nothing against the structure as a concept. Just that Woody is a bad manager and allows way too much politicking for my tastes. Giving him less people to manage would be good for organizational health IMHO.

1 minute ago, jgb said:

Woody's back shortly. Again, nothing against the structure as a concept. Just that Woody is a bad manager and allows way too much politicking for my tastes.

Everyone says this, totally forgetting that when he handed the reigns over to CJ he said this was permanent.  Its been said hes going to work for the rep party.  

I have no idea what kind of manager Woody is or isnt.  We all imagine different things he does or misses.  We dont know for sure.   

6 minutes ago, jgb said:

Woody's back shortly. Again, nothing against the structure as a concept. Just that Woody is a bad manager and allows way too much politicking for my tastes. Giving him less people to manage would be good for organizational health IMHO.

Let’s be positive and hope Woody maybe learned from his mistakes and will actually let JD and Saleh do their jobs

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Everyone says this, totally forgetting that when he handed the reigns over to CJ he said this was permanent.  Its been said hes going to work for the rep party.  

I have no idea what kind of manager Woody is or isnt.  We all imagine different things he does or misses.  We dont know for sure.   

There's nothing to "know for sure." It's an opinion, therefore subjective. I go with what I observe. Too much infighting = bad manager. Companies apply the same criteria by the way. It's called a 360 degree review.