Steelers possibly looking to move on from Roethlisberger?

T0mShane

49 minutes ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

I agree with you. Out of those two options I think they will move on from him.

Roethlisberger is due a $15 million roster bonus on March 19, the third day of the new league year. If Pittsburgh releases him before then, the franchise can save $19 million against the cap, according to OverTheCap.

Yeah, probably. 

I know he's old af for a player, but if a team (e.g. Patriots) thinks it means instant-contender like Tampa just did with Brady (who was what, 3-4 years older still?), of course a couple instant shots a ring = well worth a 1st round pick. 

If the Steelers think they can make something out of Darnold (or Mariota or Garoppolo), then they can probably get at least as much for Roethlisberger - with his cheap 2021 compensation coming up - as they'd pay to get either of them. In theory it'd hurt less than it would for a team giving up such a chunk of its early draft capital (particularly for us, if ? that could return a 1st rounder for Darnold; Pittsburgh would still have a 1st round pick).

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Ever since the possibility of trading Darnold surfaced months ago, I always pegged the Steelers as a potential landing spot in my head.  It just seems like such a Steelers type move.  Abd they'd probably somehow turn him into a Pro Bowler.

Pittsburgh is a tough, blue-collar city.   Sam Darnold is a cotton ball.

Not a match IMO.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

12 minutes ago, peebag said:

They ran with Kordell Stewart for how long?  Yea, your synopsis is wrong.

Failing to see why you thought Kordell was a cotton ball?

The guy beat Michigan with Colorado.  Stewart started out as "slash."  He played 3 or 4 different positions.  If I recall, Kordell was very close to winning MVP one season at QB?

Darnold plays 1 position, and he sucks.  Zero come from behind wins.  Maybe he has one?  Several injuries.  Darnold has displayed absolutely no competitive fire at any time in his 3 seasons.  Plays worse in the 2nd half in every game. Cotton ball.

Kordell was tough.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

Would be good for the Jets if they do decide to move on from him. Would be a win now team in need of a QB that doesn't break the bank. Darnold fits that box and the more potential trade partners the better. 

Win now team wanting Darnold? For what? 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Ever since the possibility of trading Darnold surfaced months ago, I always pegged the Steelers as a potential landing spot in my head.  It just seems like such a Steelers type move.  Abd they'd probably somehow turn him into a Pro Bowler.

Oh yeah I can see that.