Steelers possibly looking to move on from Roethlisberger?

T0mShane

1 minute ago, Drums said:

With the way he seemed to bottom out, I thought he was weighing retirement. He even made some comments at the end of the season about his performance. 

He's been doing the retirement dance for years now in the sense where he literally floats it, but then suits up for the next season and gets indignant when people press him about it.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Jets Voice of Reason said:

He's been doing the retirement dance for years now in the sense where he literally floats it, but then suits up for the next season and gets indignant when people press him about it.

True. I remember him doing that, then throwing a hissy fit when they drafted Mason Rudolph. 

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Ever since the possibility of trading Darnold surfaced months ago, I always pegged the Steelers as a potential landing spot in my head.  It just seems like such a Steelers type move.  Abd they'd probably somehow turn him into a Pro Bowler.

Replacing a Hall of Famer for a potential wash out, this is the steelers, they would want Darold for cheap...

I watched a lot of Steelers games this season Bens not shot he's just not mobile anymore and the Steelers relied too heavily on the pass because they couldn't run the ball.  They are probably playing hard ball so he takes a pay cut or restructures his salary he's due to make 41 mil.   If they wanted to move on from him this year they wouldn't do it when the options are this limited. 

• Upvote 2

I disagree that he is shot.  He forced too many things in the playoffs after the steelers got down 28-0 and thus all his interceptions.   They had no run game and he almost brought them back in that game and threw for over 500 yards and 4 tds.

Later in the year his receivers all of a sudden decided to start dropping everything.

In the right situation he can still play.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TokyoJetsFan said:

Right now his cap hit for next year is $41.2mn. Big Ben is going to need to take a pay cut if he wants to stay.

I don't see how. His base pay is only $19MM as it is. More than half that $41MM money hits Pittsburgh's cap no matter what, from past signing/restructure bonuses.

Only way for them to really cut his cap number is to move on from the player altogether, or extend him to convert most of his 2021 compensation into bonus.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I disagree that he is shot.  He forced too many things in the playoffs after the steelers got down 28-0 and thus all his interceptions.   They had no run game and he almost brought them back in that game and threw for over 500 yards and 4 tds.

Later in the year his receivers all of a sudden decided to start dropping everything.

In the right situation he can still play.

The also had a ton of injuries ending the season....The defense was a shell of itself.

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

2020 stats 

12-3 record games started. 

399 completions 608 attempts 

3803 yards  

33 TD's 

10 INT's 

Way better than any QB we've started in many years. 

yes but they started out on fire and then ben just peetered out..  i don't follow the steelers enough to know if the team had a bunch of injuries but it sure seemed like he was spent.

18 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't see how. His base pay is only $19MM as it is. More than half that $41MM money hits Pittsburgh's cap no matter what, from past signing/restructure bonuses.

Only way for them to really cut his cap number is to move on from the player altogether, or extend him to convert most of his 2021 compensation into bonus.

I agree with you. Out of those two options I think they will move on from him.

Roethlisberger is due a $15 million roster bonus on March 19, the third day of the new league year. If Pittsburgh releases him before then, the franchise can save $19 million against the cap, according to OverTheCap.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

A few seasons ago he mused about leaving football so he could just ride around on his motorcycle and be a regular guy, so the Steelers burned a third on Mason Rudolph and Roethlisberger was pissed about it and refused to help Rudolph learn the offense. 

Not only was Big Ben mad about it, so was Myles Garrett

01b2b357-642e-441f-a1b4-656d2e31a9f4-lar

• Haha 1

This

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Ever since the possibility of trading Darnold surfaced months ago, I always pegged the Steelers as a potential landing spot in my head.  It just seems like such a Steelers type move.  Abd they'd probably somehow turn him into a Pro Bowler.

I don’t see Sam as a great fit for what they like to do. He can’t throw the deep ball. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

This

I don’t see Sam as a great fit for what they like to do. He can’t throw the deep ball. 

In the last 3 seasons(as far back as I could find the data), no Steelers QB was even in the top half of the league in air yards per target, let alone near the top.

Are you sure the deep ball is what they like to do?