What jets domino falls first?

AlexVanDyke

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

They dont need any picks to make a deal for Watson.  They can use the picks that they have today and then replenish the ones used if a deal goes through after the fact.

True they don’t need any but having, say another late 1st or second this year, would sweeten a deal.  It’s really just 6 in one, half a dozen the other.

2 minutes ago, heymangold said:

True they don’t need any but having, say another late 1st or second this year, would sweeten a deal.  It’s really just 6 in one, half a dozen the other.

I'm of the mindset we offer the #2 overall and a Seattle 1st along with something outside of the 1st or Darnold and if they want more say goodbye.  We'd be giving them a new QB either with Sam or with the 2nd another 1st and more.  I want Watson, but within reason.  

I'm not one for getting held up by a team for a player that wants no part of that team

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

If the Jets are trading Sam, obviously getting the deal done before free agency would behoove them.

The only way holding onto Sam (with the intent of trading him)works, is if they have a draft day gentleman’s agreement. But that’s very risky and dependent upon factors beyond their control.

But they may be willing to play the hedge your bet game.

12 hours ago, Anthony Jet said:

If the Jets  are set on taking a QB at 2, they have to move Sam before the draft otherwise lose all leverage 

Didn't think of this. But they can still wait until just before the draft to make it happen if they want to milk the clock out as long as possible and see if Texans open up to a trade for Watson that includes Darnold. 

Also. There were rumors of Texans hiring Josh McCown for OC - Its been radio silence on their OC decision though for a while and I wonder what's taking them so long. 

I imagine McCown would be open to coaching Darnold given the opportunity. 

19 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Trading for Deshaun Watson would be the polar opposite of everything I have heard about how Joe Douglas plans on building the Jets. Granted starting quarterbacks of his caliber don't shake free every day but it would go against everything JD has done since he's been here.

Giving up all of our draft capital to get a Quarterback with nobody to block or throw to just doesn't make any sense. For those of you who think we're getting Juju and Allen Robinson, Thuney,  Alvin Kamara and the list goes on, it's not happening. You're dreaming!

Do you guys really think we're signing 9 free agents to 100 million dollar contracts?

DeShaun Watson would be a really surprising move and I honestly totally doubt it happens.

That being said we're keeping Sam and trading down, unless they feel there's a QB in this draft that is of equal or better talent without forgetting Sam's rookie contract is almost up. So it's Sam at QB or QB at 2.

We have so many draft picks and money in free agency we can turn this team around instantly. Realistically we can get a few good free agents in here but we're not getting 7 or 9 starters LOL.

Obviously I'm rounding up from a lot of threads I read about the CB from the Saints, the Center from the Packers, both Pittsburgh and Chicago's number one wide receivers, Guard from the Patriots Etc. It's just ridiculous.. Come on man.

I think they should keep Sam and draft a quarterback with the second pick  let them have a quarterback competition and pick their guy. Trade whoever doesn't make it cuz they'll still have value and continue building the team through the draft and with smart moves In free agency.

Having two quarterbacks drafted with the first top three picks on your team is a great absolutely great problem to have.

Yep. I don’t see a whole lot of downside in not trading darnold before the draft.  The jets need a QB, or at least they need to fully evaluate darnold and his successor.  If they are looking to either Wilson or fields then they won’t hive the full story until late March or so.  And even though darnolds peak trade value may be before the draft, the guy that holds out for top dollar doesn’t always win. In this case an early trade may bring the most draft value but not necessarily be the best move.  Teams always need QBs too.  Another thing is they don’t need to lock themselves in selecting a QBs with the 2 pick. They can go lower and let the guy sit for the season.

4 minutes ago, rangerous said:

Yep. I don’t see a whole lot of downside in not trading darnold before the draft.  The jets need a QB, or at least they need to fully evaluate darnold and his successor.  If they are looking to either Wilson or fields then they won’t hive the full story until late March or so.  And even though darnolds peak trade value may be before the draft, the guy that holds out for top dollar doesn’t always win. In this case an early trade may bring the most draft value but not necessarily be the best move.  Teams always need QBs too.  Another thing is they don’t need to lock themselves in selecting a QBs with the 2 pick. They can go lower and let the guy sit for the season.

JD has a lot of options and like I said a guy like Watson doesn't shake loose often. That being said it would be such a change to the master plan which was to build the team through the draft that I just can't see him pulling the trigger.

I'm sure they'll do their due diligence and it's tempting, but giving up all of those draft picks and then overpaying to build the team through free agency it's just a total crapshoot. Probably even more so than the draft.

We always talk about what would be a Jetsy Move, I would say that giving up most of our first and second round draft picks for the next two-year is for a quarterback who will have no one to block and no one to throw to all while we have holes all over the team to fill would be a real Jetsy move.

JD didn't load up on all these draft picks and all this salary cap money to put all his eggs in one basket on one player. It's a bad idea I do not see it happening. That's my take. When they realize that plan isn't going to work and it's off the table it'll make it clearer what to do with Darnold and whether or not we're taking Fields or Wilson.

I for one am totally looking forward to an influx of good young Draft Talent. Rising stars on rookie deals, rolling over some money so that when we're ready to push it over the top, in free agency we can grab some guys.

• Upvote 2