Rap: No immediate decision to be made on Sam

Rhg1084

7 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Not sure. I dont really like Wilson and I dont really like Fields either. I did like Herbert last year and felt there was a shot he could go over Burrow (I think Burrow being an Ohio kid helped there). To me, he looks like the closest thing. Granted the surrounding talent is a knock, but the ball seems to jump off his hand more than it does with the other 2. I think anyone putting these guys ahead of Lawrence isnt being honest. Jones' ball placement on longer throws is money.

Jones is the second best qb in this draft after Lawrence

the manufactured hype for Fields and Wilson is asinine

• Thumb Down 1

9 hours ago, derp said:

Jury is still very much out on talent evaluation but he very clearly wasn’t making any big swings last offseason, Conklin didn’t make sense, the contract won’t hamper them this offseason, and I don’t think Fant vs. Beachum (who was banged up a lot the year before, aging, and had an injury history) for a year will make a tremendous difference for the team in the grand scheme of things.

Conklin was linked to the Jets for the whole week before Douglas declined to even make an offer. Fant, in comparison, was a backup. He’d have been a smart signing at $2.5MM/year not at $9MM/year. 

I wasn’t bringing up whether or not we could recover from choosing Fant or Beachum. I’m speaking to it as a judgment call. Beachum was still at least as adequate a pass blocker last year (and again this year) as Fant just was. Fant was a much bigger risk than Beachum, getting only spot-start duty since he missed the season a few years back. Other than injury fill-ins, since that injury his “starts” for Seattle had been lining up as a pass-eligible TE who stays in to block as a 6th lineman. But in terms of truly starting, he couldn’t beat out a RT who couldn’t get more than a veteran-minimum contract in the same offseason the Jets rewarded Fant so richly. How does Ifedi max out at a $900K contract and his backup he outplayed gets a $9MM/year contract?

FFS the team would’ve been better off signing Conklin AND Beachum, and then - if their draft pick looked good enough to start at LT (since they wouldn’t have then known which player would be there at 11) - either keep Beachum as a swing tackle (he makes backup money anyway) or trade him to a team that lost its tackle to IR or sat out the season due to covid. That would’ve been a hedge against all 4 tackles going by pick 10 (however unlikely, it was possible). Absent Fant emerging as a top-20 tackle this year, there’s no outcome that justifies such a large contract to such an unestablished, career-backup veteran with a not-insignificant injury history of his own.

There’s literally been serious talk of the team using the #2 overall pick in the draft to undo signing Fant over Conklin. That’s how bad that judgment call has turned out, and is potentially its ultimate cost. And Douglas didn’t even make an offer, despite the more talented, more accomplished, and years-younger player signing for some $5MM/year less than expected. For a bit there was talk of Conklin exceeding Lane Johnson’s contract in free agency. That he came in so much less is is one of those many examples of lucky opportunities this team simply passed up because of a GM’s poor judgment.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, flgreen said:

Interesting

Most people seem to  think Becton had a great season.  He gave up 7 sacks, and had 7 penalites.

Most people think George Fant was a waste.  He gave up 3 sacks and 2 penalites.

Both played 14 games I think   

In between that 9-play differential - largely highlighted by two games, not evenly over the course of the season - Becton was an obviously-superior player. Inconsistency is a hallmark of most rookies - particularly less-polished ones who aren’t afforded full rookie camps or good coaching in that more-limited time - and despite the above stats it’s no accident that there was no controversy whether or not Becton should have just be playing RT. In between those 2 rough games he looked like the future star player he was drafted to be. 

Becton was a just a rookie. Moreover he was one who was projected to be a bit raw but with mammoth upside if he could put it together against pro talent, and further had a limited rookie camp. He also faced the defense’s better edge rushers more than Fant, who has years of pro experience. (e.g. Garrett didn’t line up against Fant).

Conversely, on running plays Becton was moving people out of the way like they weren’t even there, where Fant was an outright liability. I despise using PFF rankings because they’re so suspect, but it’s hardly a head-scratcher that - even taking your post into account - there’s such a wide disparity between the two.

Fant wasn’t a waste because he has no business on a football field; he was a waste because he was badly overpaid based on his prior body of work. He was a career backup whose prior decent run-blocking on paper it seems was graded on a curve if he was on the field as a 6th lineman (an obviously easier task). He’s more than adequate for fill-in work. He’s a substandard starter, though.

50 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

In between that 9-play differential - largely highlighted by two games, not evenly over the course of the season - Becton was an obviously-superior player. Inconsistency is a hallmark of most rookies - particularly less-polished ones who aren’t afforded full rookie camps or good coaching in that more-limited time - and despite the above stats it’s no accident that there was no controversy whether or not Becton should have just be playing RT. In between those 2 rough games he looked like the future star player he was drafted to be. 

Becton was a just a rookie. Moreover he was one who was projected to be a bit raw but with mammoth upside if he could put it together against pro talent, and further had a limited rookie camp. He also faced the defense’s better edge rushers more than Fant, who has years of pro experience. (e.g. Garrett didn’t line up against Fant).

Conversely, on running plays Becton was moving people out of the way like they weren’t even there, where Fant was an outright liability. I despise using PFF rankings because they’re so suspect, but it’s hardly a head-scratcher that - even taking your post into account - there’s such a wide disparity between the two.

Fant wasn’t a waste because he has no business on a football field; he was a waste because he was badly overpaid based on his prior body of work. He was a career backup whose prior decent run-blocking on paper it seems was graded on a curve if he was on the field as a 6th lineman (an obviously easier task). He’s more than adequate for fill-in work. He’s a substandard starter, though.

By most metrics the Oline was improved last season. I agree Douglas didn’t have a great first offseason, but my biggest complaint wasn’t Conklin/Fant. It was the way he handled the WR position. There were multiple games this seasons where the Jets were relying on exclusively scrap-heap guys. That is unacceptable and also way too common an occurrence for this organization. 

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Conklin was linked to the Jets for the whole week before Douglas declined to even make an offer. Fant, in comparison, was a backup. He’d have been a smart signing at $2.5MM/year not at $9MM/year. 

I wasn’t bringing up whether or not we could recover from choosing Fant or Beachum. I’m speaking to it as a judgment call. Beachum was still at least as adequate a pass blocker last year (and again this year) as Fant just was. Fant was a much bigger risk than Beachum, getting only spot-start duty since he missed the season a few years back. Other than injury fill-ins, since that injury his “starts” for Seattle had been lining up as a pass-eligible TE who stays in to block as a 6th lineman. But in terms of truly starting, he couldn’t beat out a RT who couldn’t get more than a veteran-minimum contract in the same offseason the Jets rewarded Fant so richly. How does Ifedi max out at a $900K contract and his backup he outplayed gets a $9MM/year contract?

FFS the team would’ve been better off signing Conklin AND Beachum, and then - if their draft pick looked good enough to start at LT (since they wouldn’t have then known which player would be there at 11) - either keep Beachum as a swing tackle (he makes backup money anyway) or trade him to a team that lost its tackle to IR or sat out the season due to covid. That would’ve been a hedge against all 4 tackles going by pick 10 (however unlikely, it was possible). Absent Fant emerging as a top-20 tackle this year, there’s no outcome that justifies such a large contract to such an unestablished, career-backup veteran with a not-insignificant injury history of his own.

There’s literally been serious talk of the team using the #2 overall pick in the draft to undo signing Fant over Conklin. That’s how bad that judgment call has turned out, and is potentially its ultimate cost. And Douglas didn’t even make an offer, despite the more talented, more accomplished, and years-younger player signing for some $5MM/year less than expected. For a bit there was talk of Conklin exceeding Lane Johnson’s contract in free agency. That he came in so much less is is one of those many examples of lucky opportunities this team simply passed up because of a GM’s poor judgment.

Good points.  Maybe Douglas didn’t make an offer for Conklin but are we sure Conklin didn’t make a go away demand because he didn’t want to play for the jets.  I know we all think it’s about the money but sometimes players will avoid teams and it’s not like he wouldn’t have been an attractive free agent.  The same can be said of fant.  You’re absolutely right about fant not being worth his contract but maybe he got a New York premium to play here.

hopefully the jets will start to be the go to place.

16 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

In fairness, I've heard that before. Maccagnan was the football guy we so sorely lacked - an experienced scout, not a "bean counter" - to do player evaluations. Then we paired him with a defensive "genius" (yes, he was called that here) in Bowles. So much wisdom. So much wisdom.  ;) 

You might have figured from my name that Iwasnt a Bowles supporter when he was here.

But he did coach a defense that gave up 3 field goals to Mahomes

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I mean, not much of what was linked to the Jets played out so I don’t know how that really plays into it. I still don’t think they were seriously involved.

Fant was a backup that they thought would benefit from a schematic fit leaving a line thats consistently struggled. Backups get paid more to start all the time - I certainly would’ve expected less. He’ll have been overpaid for a year. 

He’d either hit and be under team control below market for a few years (particularly as a possible LT) or he’d miss and get overpaid for a year before getting replaced with the latter being more likely. He was fine, didn’t get anybody killed or play tremendously, so at that figure it’ll probably be the latter.

Pretty sure people across the league (incorrectly) thought Beachum was physically done. Signed a $1.2M deal with the Cardinals in July, I presume to be a backup. Don’t think he was as in play for LT as you’re getting at and they still needed someone who could potentially play left tackle.

I think Sewell is more the idea of him being a legitimately special prospect than the need to replace Fant. Pre-season he basically sounded like the Calvin Johnson of offensive line prospects - and I bring up Johnson because he was pretty much the perfect prospect.

Folks on this site tend to really anchor to the rankings from September. Pretty sure we still had people wanting the Jets to trade down in the first to take Tyler Biadasz - because they saw him mocked in the first round in September - a couple weeks before he went in the fourth round.

I think Douglas’ worst decisions have been magnified because he didn’t do anything of note last year, but it was probably prudent not to do anything of note last year.

12 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I’m aware of his hedge, and have called it just that very thing a number of times here. I just think it was stupid. Either go with a total temporary hedge that you’re looking to replace like Beachum, or go for th gold. 

Giving Fant - a career backup who hadn’t earned a starting job in years - that contract was like trying to get a little bit pregnant. 

Unless he thinks from his booth he was better able to assess Fant’s ability than the coaches who saw him up close every year & made him 2nd-string. 

You are pissing all over Fant like he was a huge liability.   But if memory serves he graded out similar to Becton.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, oatmeal said:

Oh, 

You mean the same regime who let Robby walk for a million, couldn’t identify the best LT in last years draft, drafted a QB that couldn’t make the depth chart and fielded a team who had the potential to be the leagues 3rd team ever to go winless in 16 games . 

Yea I have big trust ?

Who cares about Robbie, we got the best LT in last years draft, and again who cares about the QB. You draft one until you find one. Just because Gase didn't play him, doesn't mean you know what he will ever be. Sick of you dudes bashing JD in his first year when he's already said he made some mistakes, Let's see it going forward, if I will be joining you with a call that we have a bad GM, or the other way around. 

24 minutes ago, GreekJet said:

By most metrics the Oline was improved last season. I agree Douglas didn’t have a great first offseason, but my biggest complaint wasn’t Conklin/Fant. It was the way he handled the WR position. There were multiple games this seasons where the Jets were relying on exclusively scrap-heap guys. That is unacceptable and also way too common an occurrence for this organization. 

Fant and Anderson are my two biggest complaints in terms of Douglas exercising poor judgment.

The difference is Anderson isn’t an all-pro like Conklin, where a year later people are calling for using the #2 pick in the draft as the fix for this terrible error in judgment (and allegedly, if the team can’t get an acceptable offer in trading down, may do just that). That’s a far more costly error+fix than a year with Perriman followed by a FA upgrade as good or better than Anderson.

Conversely, there are at least 3 FA WRs that are not only upgrades to Anderson but would make that mistake very temporary (in what would’ve been a crap season anyway). The only other error with his Anderson mess-up is he turned down a mid-round draft pick for him in late October with the team out to a 1-6 start, and made subsequent trade-downs in the following draft to recoup that loss, getting lesser players in the process.

The only unintended benefit that the WR blunder provided is that it did show Darnold’s problems aren’t just “teh weaponz” saddled with the likes of Anderson as “a #3 WR at best” — seeing how he’s back to being a ~70 yard/game WR even with low-ceiling passers QBs like Bridgewater and a 38 year-old McCown. It cast light on showing primarily the receiver was being held back by Darnold, rather than the other way around. 

51 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

You might have figured from my name that Iwasnt a Bowles supporter when he was here.

Some things to say to that:

1. He wasn’t hired to be a DC here.

2. That defense was more personnel-based than genius scheming.

3. That SB performance by the D was disparately impacted by KC playing with two backup tackles against a pair of edge rushers that then didn’t need any blitzing help to generate relentless pressure. That’s player talent, not scheming/coaching.

4. Also it’s generous to credit Bowles for the offense flat-out dropping passes (let alone in the endzone). 

4. That game was itself after Tampa barely got past GB who was likewise without its starting LT. Absent that - and particularly if you swap which team lost its starting LT, it’s hardly a stretch to suggest Tampa doesn’t make it to the SB in the first place. 

On 2/23/2021 at 7:33 AM, Bowles Movement said:

You are pissing all over Fant like he was a huge liability.   But if memory serves he graded out similar to Becton.

Actually that’s exactly my point. Fant was not an $8MM/year upgrade over Becton.

*edit* I meant Beachum, not Becton. Fant was not an $8MM/year upgrade over Beachum.

• WTF? 1

58 minutes ago, derp said:

I mean, not much of what was linked to the Jets played out so I don’t know how that really plays into it. I still don’t think they were seriously involved.

Fant was a backup that they thought would benefit from a schematic fit leaving a line thats consistently struggled. Backups get paid more to start all the time - I certainly would’ve expected less. He’ll have been overpaid for a year. 

He’d either hit and be under team control below market for a few years (particularly as a possible LT) or he’d miss and get overpaid for a year before getting replaced with the latter being more likely. He was fine, didn’t get anybody killed or play tremendously, so at that figure it’ll probably be the latter.

Pretty sure people across the league (incorrectly) thought Beachum was physically done. Signed a $1.2M deal with the Cardinals in July, I presume to be a backup. Don’t think he was as in play for LT as you’re getting at and they still needed someone who could potentially play left tackle.

I think Sewell is more the idea of him being a legitimately special prospect than the need to replace Fant. Pre-season he basically sounded like the Calvin Johnson of offensive line prospects - and I bring up Johnson because he was pretty much the perfect prospect.

Folks on this site tend to really anchor to the rankings from September. Pretty sure we still had people wanting the Jets to trade down in the first to take Tyler Biadasz - because they saw him mocked in the first round in September - a couple weeks before he went in the fourth round.

I think Douglas’ worst decisions have been magnified because he didn’t do anything of note last year, but it was probably prudent not to do anything of note last year.

Right now if I were to bet I’d say 2:1 that Fant is coming back. Not 10:1, but more than a coin-toss. 

Backups get paid that much to start after they’re starting, not in anticipation they will become starters. 

Beachum may have been paid $1.2MM but that’s the veteran minimum, meaning the actual cap hit was a few hundred K less than that, or just under 1/10 what Fant was paid to provide zero upgrade and zero extra flexibility.

If Conklin was here instead of Fant, then special prospect or not there is a 0% chance the Jets draft Sewell.  In that regard, the only reason Sewell is in the mix is because of a domino effect of paying serious starter money to a backup.

It’s never prudent to make bad decisions and rationalize it by saying, “Well we weren’t really trying.” What it does is it leaves the need-list that much longer the following year(s). There are only so many FAs to add in a given year, and only so many of those are willing to sign with the same team (the Jets, at that). You get top FAs when you can get them, if you’re paying significantly for that FA position in the first place. 

If you’re not trying, then sign Beachum as a LT/RT hedge. If you’re trying, then try. Makes little sense to spend an extra $8MM on Fant that now doesn’t carry over to 2021, and in the next breath see multiple rumors the team is cutting Crowder over money. 

17 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Right now if I were to bet I’d say 2:1 that Fant is coming back. Not 10:1, but more than a coin-toss. 

Backups get paid that much to start after they’re starting, not in anticipation they will become starters. 

Beachum may have been paid $1.2MM but that’s the veteran minimum, meaning the actual cap hit was a few hundred K less than that, or just under 1/10 what Fant was paid to provide zero upgrade and zero extra flexibility.

If Conklin was here instead of Fant, then special prospect or not there is a 0% chance the Jets draft Sewell.  In that regard, the only reason Sewell is in the mix is because of a domino effect of paying serious starter money to a backup.

It’s never prudent to make bad decisions and rationalize it by saying, “Well we weren’t really trying.” What it does is it leaves the need-list that much longer the following year(s). There are only so many FAs to add in a given year, and only so many of those are willing to sign with the same team (the Jets, at that). You get top FAs when you can get them, if you’re paying significantly for that FA position in the first place. 

If you’re not trying, then sign Beachum as a LT/RT hedge. If you’re trying, then try. Makes little sense to spend an extra $8MM on Fant that now doesn’t carry over to 2021, and in the next breath see multiple rumors the team is cutting Crowder over money. 

I disagree with your first point but largely because of the cap environment this year and his contract structure. I think that the decision is in the Jets’ hands is a good thing.

I also think teams take guys they think are promising from other teams and pay them to become starters. The $10M+ was egregious but $2.5M for an athletic, raw tackle with some promising game experience who was definitely starting wasn’t happening either.

My point re Beachum was that he got the vet minimum in July in a league that has tons of teams that need better line play. He wasn’t viewed around the league as a viable starter. It’s not like he got scooped up immediately after the Jets didn’t re-sign him.

Conklin got a three year deal so he is getting paid a lot during a stage the Jets are non-competitive. I’m not sure what the purpose of the signing would’ve been. The most important thing in could see about tackle play in this stretch is pass pro and while I’m sure Conklin is better than Fant there he really is a difference maker in the run game. He got paid like four million more to allow two sacks to Fant’s three. 

And they still needed a left tackle pre draft, nobody thought Beachum was that guy at the time, so I don’t really get why you’re stuck on Conklin to be honest. He and Fant are both band aids, but Conklin is better during a period the team will definitely be bad because of the mess Maccagnan left and has less flexibility in his contract.

Signing FA’s is rarely prudent and I’m really not sure which side of that you’re playing re Conklin in the last paragraph.

Crowder’s not a scheme fit as a slot only receiver on a team that will rarely be going three wide, I don’t think it’s money.

I think we’re pretty engrained in our views here. I understand your perspective and I agree it would’ve been a better use of resources in hindsight but it largely hinges on two assumptions I disagree with - that anyone in the NFL viewed Beachum as a potential starting left tackle last March and that Conklin makes a meaningful difference on a team that will be largely non-competitive this year or next year.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Fant and Anderson are my two biggest complaints in terms of Douglas exercising poor judgment.

The difference is Anderson isn’t an all-pro like Conklin, where a year later people are calling for using the #2 pick in the draft as the fix for this terrible error in judgment (and allegedly, if the team can’t get an acceptable offer in trading down, may do just that). That’s a far more costly error+fix than a year with Perriman followed by a FA upgrade as good or better than Anderson.

Conversely, there are at least 3 FA WRs that are not only upgrades to Anderson but would make that mistake very temporary (in what would’ve been a crap season anyway). The only other error with his Anderson mess-up is he turned down a mid-round draft pick for him in late October with the team out to a 1-6 start, and made subsequent trade-downs in the following draft to recoup that loss, getting lesser players in the process.

The only unintended benefit that the WR blunder provided is that it did show Darnold’s problems aren’t just “teh weaponz” saddled with the likes of Anderson as “a #3 WR at best” — seeing how he’s back to being a ~70 yard/game WR even with low-ceiling passers QBs like Bridgewater and a 38 year-old McCown. It cast light on showing primarily the receiver was being held back by Darnold, rather than the other way around. 

Going into a game with Chris Hogan, Lawrence Cager, and Jeff Smith as your top 3 options is unacceptable. I don’t care about injuries and I don’t care who the QB is. 

4 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

Who cares about Robbie, we got the best LT in last years draft, and again who cares about the QB. You draft one until you find one. Just because Gase didn't play him, doesn't mean you know what he will ever be. Sick of you dudes bashing JD in his first year when he's already said he made some mistakes, Let's see it going forward, if I will be joining you with a call that we have a bad GM, or the other way around. 

Wow we are defending the drafting of James morgan lol on what basis 

11 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Wow we are defending the drafting of James morgan lol on what basis 

On the basis, that you draft one every year if you don't have your FQB... Sometimes it might be high, sometimes it might be in lower rounds. Geez, I guess you should have told the NE Patriots, they shouldn't have drafted Brady in the 6th. Not sure why you can't comprehend that.

8 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

On the basis, that you draft one every year if you don't have your FQB... Sometimes it might be high, sometimes it might be in lower rounds. Geez, I guess you should have told the NE Patriots, they shouldn't have drafted Brady in the 6th. Not sure why you can't comprehend that.

But morgan was a bust. What does they have to do with Brady 

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

22 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Actually that’s exactly my point. Fant was not an $8MM/year upgrade over Becton.

Becton cost us the 11 th overall pick in the draft and he got a pretty good salary on top of that.

You are comparing him to a free agent signing that just cost cash, and got similar production.

I guess I’m not getting your gripe about Fant and his cost- his salary is less than a usual starters salary, and he actually produced like a starter.

or are you suggesting that they should have drafted a guy in the fourth that could have started at a lesser salary???  

1 hour ago, Bowles Movement said:

Becton cost us the 11 th overall pick in the draft and he got a pretty good salary on top of that.

You are comparing him to a free agent signing that just cost cash, and got similar production.

I guess I’m not getting your gripe about Fant and his cost- his salary is less than a usual starters salary, and he actually produced like a starter.

or are you suggesting that they should have drafted a guy in the fourth that could have started at a lesser salary???  

I meant Beachum, not Becton. It’s the B. 

Fant was not an $8MM/year upgrade over Beachum.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

But morgan was a bust. What does they have to do with Brady 

How do you know Morgan was a bust he didn't play a down, because Gase was a stubborn A$$HAT... I get it, I don't know what Morgan is, but you keep drafting QB's until you have one. That's my point. I don't trade away my entire draft for one, much as I'd love to have Watson.

2 hours ago, 68JET11 said:

How do you know Morgan was a bust he didn't play a down, because Gase was a stubborn A$$HAT... I get it, I don't know what Morgan is, but you keep drafting QB's until you have one. That's my point. I don't trade away my entire draft for one, much as I'd love to have Watson.

Because he didn’t see the field aka he stinks 

6 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Because he didn’t see the field aka he stinks 

Awesome.... I know because you were at all the JET practices, and were in on the decision making with the coaching staff.  I'm sorry, from now on I'll believe everything you say...

20 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

Awesome.... I know because you were at all the JET practices, and were in on the decision making with the coaching staff.  I'm sorry, from now on I'll believe everything you say...

Hey there was no better year to debut a new raw qb like when you have nothing to lose in 2020. Telling...

On 2/23/2021 at 3:28 PM, GreekJet said:

Going into a game with Chris Hogan, Lawrence Cager, and Jeff Smith as your top 3 options is unacceptable. I don’t care about injuries and I don’t care who the QB is. 

I wonder how Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson do with that turd trifecta at WR, a below average OL and Gase calling the plays

• Upvote 1

On 2/23/2021 at 7:17 AM, Bowles Movement said:

idk if that what his genius or the fact that they chiefs were fielding a second/third string oline

On 2/22/2021 at 1:11 PM, Mogglez said:

To discuss.  Which is what we’re doing.  You think fans on forums are more qualified to make decisions than a highly respected GM and coaching staff.  I think that’s stupid.  You think that makes me shill.

Nope. I can assure you the only reason why I’m not a hall of fame GM is because I decided to take a different career path.

Justin Fields is the right pick. Of the top 10 QBs in this class, he’s the only one that has back to back vowels in his name. So there you have it. My scouting report on Justin Fields.