Rap: No immediate decision to be made on Sam

Rhg1084

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Other than being in the know as to what other GMs are willing to surrender for a pick, and some 1-on-1 time with prospects and existing players/coaches, they don’t know that much more. Or more to the point, the disparity in judgment, from fans to FO people, often dwarfs the disparity in this “information” they have that we don’t.

Just listened to someone talk about Gase calling plays against a cover 3 that are never called for the most part, they never work. I'm not embarrassed to admit my lack of knowledge about cover 3. Do we know at all times if receivers are running correct routes or turning in, when they should be turning out. We watch games to be entertained. We're not breaking down game film. You get my drift

• Post of the Week 1

16 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Always? I think it’s like lots of reporting: no shortage of someone who hears from someone, if not things that are surmised by interpretation, and it’s called reporting sports news when it’s just a sports reporter’s opinion or guess.

So it's not a fact that Watson really wants out?? I could have sworn he said that I guess I'm wrong..B)

3 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

So it's not a fact that Watson really wants out?? I could have sworn he said that I guess I'm wrong..B)

And he hasn’t released much more information than just that. The number of reports about Watson are 1000-fold compared to the number of times he’s actually said something on the subject.

Last thing I remember him saying publicly was he didn’t want people to do an in-person protest in his name during covid. 

17 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Put it this way: Douglas had enough in-house knowledge of what Anderson was capapble of, and then made a big mistake. Publicly admitted he made a big mistake on him, too. Look it’s not like he lost Hopkins - Anderson is very replaceable this March - but it’s more about player judgment than an ability to fix a mistake later. 

I don’t agree on the “wrong LT” thing in the draft; the draft is too inexact and I’m far too happy with Becton to wonder which really good rookie tackle would have been a better pick. At the same time in choosing Becton (so far) he’s been given way too much praise.

What concerns me more is his choice of Fant. Not just over Conklin (and not over a crazy amount difference in money) but also over Beachum. Beachum was a player the team had, while Douglas was here, and he felt Fant was an $8MM/year upgrade over Beachum. That’s what I mean as far as poor judgment despite having more information. Fant isn’t the worst tackle we’ve given big money to in FA (which itself is embarrassing) but choosing him over the far more accomplished - and younger - Conklin, and the far more accomplished - and more reliable - Beachum, and paying heavily for this gamble, should concern every Jets fan.

Douglas has made his mistakes, Robby being the big one. If you've read my post over time, you know how much i liked him. This is all surrounding, (of course), the big QB decision to come. It's a huge decision. I have faith that Douglas will use all his resources to come up with a decision based on what's best for the Jet's moving forward. All the observations about Sam's flaws and his frame of mind, after Gase will be fully ironed out. Considering the the experience and reps of the people he'll include in the decision. I'll be totally comfortable moving foward with Sam, or without him.

4 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

Their pro days are at the end of March 2 weeks after the start of free agency. Teams will move on signing the likes of Newton, Minshew, Trubisky all who have far better stats than Darnold. Joe Douglas should have a better understanding of who Darnold is to strike now rather than waiting another 2 months.

Other teams know who Sam is as well. So if they are to offer a 2nd, it means they see real potential. They would t pass up real potential with backup type QBs in Minshew or Newton on the roster. 

4 hours ago, Grandy said:

This is the smart move. We shouldn't make a franchise altering decision without all of the knowledge.

I'd even go so far as to say "without all of the knowledge" should include knowing who the Jaguars pick at #1. Once that is done, whatever plans that JD and staff have drawn up (including the hypothetical/ what if Jax passes on Lawrence scenario) can commence.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I saw an FO stat on him a few weeks ago that he was great, efficiency-wise, under pressure, but that he was awful when forced to come off of his first read, which seems very Alabama QBs-like. I hate all of these QBs, even though two of them will likely be Hall of Famers. What are your thoughts?

Not sure. I dont really like Wilson and I dont really like Fields either. I did like Herbert last year and felt there was a shot he could go over Burrow (I think Burrow being an Ohio kid helped there). To me, he looks like the closest thing. Granted the surrounding talent is a knock, but the ball seems to jump off his hand more than it does with the other 2. I think anyone putting these guys ahead of Lawrence isnt being honest. Jones' ball placement on longer throws is money.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

34 minutes ago, genot said:

Douglas has made his mistakes, Robby being the big one. If you've read my post over time, you know how much i liked him. This is all surrounding, (of course), the big QB decision to come. It's a huge decision. I have faith that Douglas will use all his resources to come up with a decision based on what's best for the Jet's moving forward. All the observations about Sam's flaws and his frame of mind, after Gase will be fully ironed out. Considering the the experience and reps of the people he'll include in the decision. I'll be totally comfortable moving foward with Sam, or without him.

And I will be here to judge him with the benefit of hindsight, as always. 

• Haha 1

I still firmly believe Darnold is gone but jets just havent made up their mind on how they will go in the draft and dont want to play their hand. 

We arent going to have any movement until the draft. After the draft I expect us to have either stayed out and drafted a QB at 2 or traded for Watson and Darnold will be gone.

I just refuse to believe anyone in this front office seriously is considering starting Darnold for year 4.

1 hour ago, Jet2020 said:

Other teams know who Sam is as well. So if they are to offer a 2nd, it means they see real potential. They would t pass up real potential with backup type QBs in Minshew or Newton on the roster. 

A second rounder for a 23-year-old former #3 pick QB is pretty pathetic, actually. It's a minimal investment for a roll of the dice. So yeah, NFL teams know Sam well, and what they know is you really don't know what you're getting with him.

On the other hand, the Jets can get multiple first round picks for a team that wants the opportunity to draft Wilson or Fields. What does that tell you about the potential NFL talent evaluators see in them compared to Darnold?

• Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

That's what should have been discussed prior to trading away 3 2nd round picks for Sammy.

The trade was made 5 weeks before the draft when at the time all the rumbling was Darnold to Cleveland. It was made to get to #3 so they could get one of their top 3 QBs. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

I still firmly believe Darnold is gone but jets just havent made up their mind on how they will go in the draft and dont want to play their hand. 

We arent going to have any movement until the draft. After the draft I expect us to have either stayed out and drafted a QB at 2 or traded for Watson and Darnold will be gone.

I just refuse to believe anyone in this front office seriously is considering starting Darnold for year 4.

I think this as well.

I don’t have a bug in JD’s house, but I very much doubt he’s really into bringing Darnold back. I get what has been leaked, with people who know those in the Jets’ FO, but even interally there can be purposeful leaks. I think he’s just trying to get the highest pick possible in return for Darnold, so other teams don’t think ultimately in the end we’ll take whatever we can get b/c it’s better than nothing.

There’s only one path to him returning: the FO is convinced there are zero FQBs from the #2 pick onward and they aren’t able to come to terms for Watson. But I think - or maybe it’s hope - they realize they get to take their pick other than Lawrence (unless there’s some major surprise), where next year they may only be in position to get the 3rd or 4th best QB prospect from a lesser QB class, and then won’t be able to recoup yet another high pick for Darnold to offset.

Oh, and it’s another unforgivable lost season to bet & lose on Darnold yet again; particularly if one of the 2021 guys he didn’t take become good QBs; and Douglas turned away a high pick in trade for this privilege. His fresh & moist goodwill will dry up like a hundred year-old vajeen. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Put it this way: Douglas had enough in-house knowledge of what Anderson was capapble of, and then made a big mistake. Publicly admitted he made a big mistake on him, too. Look it’s not like he lost Hopkins - Anderson is very replaceable this March - but it’s more about player judgment than an ability to fix a mistake later. 

I don’t agree on the “wrong LT” thing in the draft; the draft is too inexact and I’m far too happy with Becton to wonder which really good rookie tackle would have been a better pick. At the same time in choosing Becton (so far) he’s been given way too much praise.

What concerns me more is his choice of Fant. Not just over Conklin (and not over a crazy amount difference in money) but also over Beachum. Beachum was a player the team had, while Douglas was here, and he felt Fant was an $8MM/year upgrade over Beachum. That’s what I mean as far as poor judgment despite having more information. Fant isn’t the worst tackle we’ve given big money to in FA (which itself is embarrassing) but choosing him over the far more accomplished - and younger - Conklin, and the far more accomplished - and more reliable - Beachum, and paying heavily for this gamble, should concern every Jets fan.

I don’t think Conklin was ever happening FWIW. Douglas needed two tackles and had a good tackle draft class staring him in the face. Wasn’t going to sign two FA tackles. But he didn’t know if he was going to get a day one LT or potentially a RT only in the draft and couldn’t risk showing his hand or being boxed in. Fant gave roster construction flexibility Conklin didn’t. At the cost of talent for sure, but I think most of last year’s free agents were intended to be band aids - Fant included.

3 minutes ago, derp said:

I don’t think Conklin was ever happening FWIW. Douglas needed two tackles and had a good tackle draft class staring him in the face. Wasn’t going to sign two FA tackles. But he didn’t know if he was going to get a day one LT or potentially a RT only in the draft and couldn’t risk showing his hand or being boxed in. Fant gave roster construction flexibility Conklin didn’t. At the cost of talent for sure, but I think most of last year’s free agents were intended to be band aids - Fant included.

I’m aware of his hedge, and have called it just that very thing a number of times here. I just think it was stupid. Either go with a total temporary hedge that you’re looking to replace like Beachum, or go for th gold. 

Giving Fant - a career backup who hadn’t earned a starting job in years - that contract was like trying to get a little bit pregnant. 

Unless he thinks from his booth he was better able to assess Fant’s ability than the coaches who saw him up close every year & made him 2nd-string. 

8 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I’m aware of his hedge, and have called it just that very thing a number of times here. I just think it was stupid. Either go with a total temporary hedge that you’re looking to replace like Beachum, or go for th gold. 

Giving Fant - a career backup who hadn’t earned a starting job in years - that contract was like trying to get a little bit pregnant. 

Unless he thinks from his booth he was better able to assess Fant’s ability than the coaches who saw him up close every year & made him 2nd-string. 

Jury is still very much out on talent evaluation but he very clearly wasn’t making any big swings last offseason, Conklin didn’t make sense, the contract won’t hamper them this offseason, and I don’t think Fant vs. Beachum (who was banged up a lot the year before, aging, and had an injury history) for a year will make a tremendous difference for the team in the grand scheme of things.

45 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Interesting

Most people seem to  think Becton had a great season.  He gave up 7 sacks, and had 7 penalites.

Most people think George Fant was a waste.  He gave up 3 sacks and 2 penalites.

Both played 14 games I think   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BroadwayRay said:

A second rounder for a 23-year-old former #3 pick QB is pretty pathetic, actually. It's a minimal investment for a roll of the dice. So yeah, NFL teams know Sam well, and what they know is you really don't know what you're getting with him.

On the other hand, the Jets can get multiple first round picks for a team that wants the opportunity to draft Wilson or Fields. What does that tell you about the potential NFL talent evaluators see in them compared to Darnold?

This

why doesn’t this have more likes? Hands down one of the best post I’ve seen 

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think this as well.

I don’t have a bug in JD’s house, but I very much doubt he’s really into bringing Darnold back. I get what has been leaked, with people who know those in the Jets’ FO, but even interally there can be purposeful leaks. I think he’s just trying to get the highest pick possible in return for Darnold, so other teams don’t think ultimately in the end we’ll take whatever we can get b/c it’s better than nothing.

There’s only one path to him returning: the FO is convinced there are zero FQBs from the #2 pick onward and they aren’t able to come to terms for Watson. But I think - or maybe it’s hope - they realize they get to take their pick other than Lawrence (unless there’s some major surprise), where next year they may only be in position to get the 3rd or 4th best QB prospect from a lesser QB class, and then won’t be able to recoup yet another high pick for Darnold to offset.

Oh, and it’s another unforgivable lost season to bet & lose on Darnold yet again; particularly if one of the 2021 guys he didn’t take become good QBs; and Douglas turned away a high pick in trade for this privilege. His fresh & moist goodwill will dry up like a hundred year-old vajeen. 

Great post love this 

• Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, oatmeal said:

?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️

Aaron Rodgers is 35+ and was the same age Farve was when he was drafted. Sam is a 23 yrold QB still on a rookie deal. Lightyears of difference, and The Chiefs, Bills etc aren’t scouting potential franchise QBs 

All I'm saying is that you ALWAYS scout everyone, particularly at the most important position in football.  If a player like Mac Jones somehow drops to the Bills, Chiefs or anyone else they better understand his value and how much they can trade that pick for.  It's not just about needs, it's about player value giving a GM all the information he needs to make the correct decision.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

This

why doesn’t this have more likes? Hands down one of the best post I’ve seen 

It makes sense until you remember that Darnold wasn't JD's pick. If he's intent on moving on from him, he will take whatever the highest bidder is offering, even if it's a 2nd round pick. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Not sure. I dont really like Wilson and I dont really like Fields either. I did like Herbert last year and felt there was a shot he could go over Burrow (I think Burrow being an Ohio kid helped there). To me, he looks like the closest thing. Granted the surrounding talent is a knock, but the ball seems to jump off his hand more than it does with the other 2. I think anyone putting these guys ahead of Lawrence isnt being honest. Jones' ball placement on longer throws is money.

I feel like, unless Watson comes through, Douglas just has to keep throwing bodies at QB and hope one of them emerges. Mac Jones seems as safe a bet as Darnold, Morgan or Beathard, that’s for sure.