2021 QB competition

Should there be a QB competition this year or hand off the keys to Wilson? All QBs on the roster are a question mark at this point. We have not seen Morgan or White in action. The Jets were all in on Wilson this off season, but should he be excluded regardless of his draft position?

Saleh is big on competition, "Competition breeds improvement and so there's just going to be a great level of competition," Head Coach Robert Saleh said. He added: "We love the competition."-Saleh

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/hc-robert-saleh-loves-the-competition-especially-in-cornerbacks-room

Wilson has an incredible arm and great instincts, but he should not be excluded from competing. Morgan and White are a mystery and would be intriguing to view their potential this off season.

Just now, Biggs said:

No competition.  He gets ever rep.  If they want to sit him for a while bring in a Vet to start.  He needs all the work he can get.  Morgan and White get 2nd team reps and work in pre-season games. 

I totally understand your point and I certainly think it will be the most likely course of action. But there is always the "if factor" that shouldn't be ignored.

zwill will most likely be the starter but it would be good to see what morgan has and it would also be good to bring in a vet as the back up.  none of this mentor garbage though.  the guy they bring in needs to be hungry to get a starting job and not be content to collect a paycheck.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Bronx said:

Should there be a QB competition this year or hand off the keys to Wilson? All QBs on the roster are a question mark at this point. We have not seen Morgan or White in action. The Jets were all in on Wilson this off season, but should he be excluded regardless of his draft position?

Saleh is big on competition, "Competition breeds improvement and so there's just going to be a great level of competition," Head Coach Robert Saleh said. He added: "We love the competition."-Saleh

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/hc-robert-saleh-loves-the-competition-especially-in-cornerbacks-room

Wilson has an incredible arm and great instincts, but he should not be excluded from competing. Morgan and White are a mystery and would be intriguing to view their potential this off season.

In the earliest camp, it should be a competition.  Wilson, unlike so many of our 'anointed future-bust' QB's, MUST EARN his starting job.

Have no fear, if he is 1/10th the QB his hype-men here at JN claim, he should easily beat out a developmental backup QB prospect like Morgan and White.  He won't miss many reps, be assured.  Fans think a competition means the eventual #1 is somehow only getting a few reps, that simply isn't how it works in an NFL Camp, especially early.

And once he does, he gets every #1 rep from then on, nothing of value lost, and he at least had to earn his job for a change. 

Competition brings out the best in athletes, I've said it for years, and love that Saleh says it.  Make him earn it. 

And I believe he would, quickly.  Then we move on with a #1 who earned it.

• Upvote 1

The Jets realistically have two rookie QB's. Zack is the stater going in, but Morgan should get a good look. If Morgan shows well in camp, and in the preseason, if the Jets want to let Zack sit for a few games, would have no problem with letting Morgan start the season rather than bring in a career back up bum.

• WTF? 1

This isnt some clown show.  You think Saleh is going to put Morgan out there 1st today to send a pointless message to Wilson?

Those days are over.  No need for silly games and dog/pony shows.  This is the Joe D/Rob Saleh run jets.  Zach Wilson was drafted to be the starting qb and already is the starting qb.  Case closed.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 2

3 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

This isnt some clown show.  You think Saleh is going to put Morgan out there 1st today to send a pointless message to Wilson?

Those days are over.  No need for silly games and dog/pony shows.  This is the Joe D/Rob Saleh run jets.  Zach Wilson was drafted to be the starting qb and already is the starting qb.  Case closed.

It's called due diligence.

10 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

There is nothing "clown show" or "dog and pony" about competition and earning jobs.

You must not have much confidence in Wilson if you're this afraid even a minor competition against a lesser prospect would be a problem for him to quickly win, or would hamper him so much he's be less successful.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

They could maybe bring in a Foles or Mullens for an actual competition, but Zach would probably win that, anyway. Morgan and White are in competition with each other, not Wilson. 

This is a developmental year, and a huge part of that development is the development of the second pick in the draft. They’re going to get him on the field. It would be a major upset (and concern) if Zach Wilson isn’t the opening day starter. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

There is nothing "clown show" or "dog and pony" about competition and earning jobs.

You must not have much confidence in Wilson if you're this afraid even a minor competition against a lesser prospect would be a problem for him to quickly win, or would hamper him so much he's be less successful.

Yes there is.  He was the 2nd pick in the draft.  He is an elite talent.  Hes the starter and there is no question about it.

Zach knows it.  Coaching staff knows it.  Owner knows it.  Players know it.  Case closed.  

Saleh isnt wasting time putting on a farce competition.

There is no competition on Jax and there is no competition in NY.  When you are an elite talent, the job is yours.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, Joe W. Namath said:

Saleh isnt wasting time putting on a farce competition.

Ridiculous! He will be lying to all of us then. He clearly stated the contrary, you have to earn the job. 

Don't get me wrong! I do want to see Zach start, but all protocols have to be in place first. 

17 minutes ago, Bronx said:

Ridiculous! He will be lying to all of us then. He clearly stated the contrary, you have to earn the job. 

Don't get me wrong! I do want to see Zach start, but all protocols have to be in place first. 

There is no one to compete with.  You think bringing in Mullins or Foles wont change that.  Those guys stink.

Should Trevor Lawrence be competing in Jax?  No.  Its his job.

Zach is the starter.  Hes the best qb by far on the roster.  And if Mullins or Foles comes in, they can carry zachs bags.

5 minutes ago, Bronx said:

Its not lying, its coach speak.  Come on guys.  You are smarter then this.

Did you believe him too when he was telling you how great Darnold was?  HAHAHAHAHAA

10 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Mullins or Foles will change that.  Those guys stink

So letting Zach sit, watch and learn the NFL pace until he is ready a bad thing? Foles won a Superbowl, Mullins played the system. Let someone else get the beating before he is determined ready.

Zach is the presumptive starter. Just like Becton last year and Vera-Tucker at LG. That doesn't mean he (they) don't have to compete and aren't at risk of being Pipped. From Zach's wiring, much ado about nothing. He will quickly show he's willing to put in the work and has the skill set to be the QB1 for the NYJ.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, OilfieldJet said:

Bring in a vet and sit Zach the first 8 games. Allow the line to gel. Let him watch. This season isn’t about wins, it’s about building for a run in 2022-23.

The CS will have to evaluate his ability to start during camp/preseason.  If he looks up to it, he starts.  If he looks shaky, bring in a vet, any vet available and sit Wilson for how ever long he has to sit until he is ready. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bronx said:

So letting Zach sit, watch and learn the NFL pace until he is ready a bad thing? Foles won a Superbowl, Mullins played the system. Let someone else get the beating before he is determined ready.

Why do you assume hes getting a beating?  Joe Douglas has majorly upgraded this roster.

Jet fans are so beat down is unreal.

2 minutes ago, Bronx said:

Please reserve your trip...

Gene Wilder Somersault GIF

Great movie!

Listen, Ill let you guys talk about how mullens and Foles could beat out Wilson in some qb competition you've made up.

I will be in the OTA thread reading the tweets about how great Zach's laser arm looks today and how he already seems to have a great rapport with his receivers.

3 hours ago, Bronx said:

I totally understand your point and I certainly think it will be the most likely course of action. But there is always the "if factor" that shouldn't be ignored.

There is no if factor. If Wilson goes down for an extended period with an injury,  the season is done save they bring in a vet backup. This is Wilson's team as presently constructed.  

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Great movie!

Listen, Ill let you guys talk about how mullens and Foles could beat out Wilson in some qb competition you've made up.

I will be in the OTA thread reading the tweets about how great Zach's laser arm looks today and how he already seems to have a great rapport with his receivers.

Well, at least we know who the Lord Master of Hyperbole will be during the Zack Era, lol.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Bronx said:

That sounds ass backwards.

You don't draft a QB at #2 overall to not start him in today's NFL. If the Jets assess him as unready to start over Morgan/White/whoever they bring in, that will be a massive red flag IMHO.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Are you serious? I mean do you actually  think White or Morgan would start over a healthy  Wilson?

Apparently. If Wilson can't beat out White and Morgan in camp, the bust detector's needle will be in the red zone already.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2