Lets get some Gas in here!!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I never throw out or sell anything.  Stuff gets stolen though.  My first guitar was an absolutely gorgeous Aria Pro II start.   Candy apple red with gold hardware and no pickguard. 80's. Stolen in the late  Silvertone was the Sears guitar right?  I thought they were re-branded Danelectros?.  The Masonite ones.  I had been considering one of them before the SG.  

I always figured rock guys used LPs, but I remember hearing that Page recorded all of LZ1 on a tele.  Then I saw this:

jimmy019.jpg 

Yeah he rocked the tele. There is some footage from Denmark of him playing it. Bonham sporting a four piece drum set. Plant is like 19. It is one of the best concerts I’ve ever seen. 

That guitar there in the photo is the one Syd Barrett made famous. It’s a beaut. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Drums said:

Yeah he rocked the tele. There is some footage from Denmark of him playing it. Bonham sporting a four piece drum set. Plant is like 19. It is one of the best concerts I’ve ever seen. 

That guitar there in the photo is the one Syd Barrett made famous. It’s a beaut. 

If you are a Zep fan and haven’t seen this it is a MUST. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Drums said:

I've posted it before over the years.   It's an early LZ gig on Danish radio.  You get Jimmy playing an extended solo with bow on the Tele.  And check out Bonzo absolutely hitting the skins like he's using sledgehammers.

EDIT:   Oops.  Did not see that you added the video.  Apologies.

• Upvote 2

Just now, munchmemory said:

I've posted it before over the years.   It's an early LZ gig on Danish radio.  You get Jimmy playing an extended solo with bow on the Tele.  And check out Bonzo absolutely hitting the skins like he's using sledgehammers.

Yeah it changed my life as a drummer when I saw it (I was like 18). It was on the DVD they released around then. They were just so raw and that’s how I love my rock and roll bands. Pure adrenaline. No BS. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Speaking of raw, guitarists not using their iconic typical guitars, and life changing drums, if you haven’t seen this watch it too. Noel shines. After seeing these two concerts I went out and got a 24x14 bass drum and never looked back (Bonham was 26x14, Mitch was 24x14). My two favorite drummers. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I should have know.  I thought this was a GAS (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome) thread, but I knew if it were SJ or JGB, it would just be regular gas.  

I have been considering:

1_Full_Straight_Front_NA-ec7069218f39d78

I am not much of a player, but I have a pretty nice collection, but it is mostly Fender based.  Figured I would try a lower end Epi.  I have been shying away from this one because I don't think I like the one piece bridge.  Even some of the cheaper ones have a tune-o-matic.  Then I saw that the Gibson P-90 version is $1,400 and has the same bridge.  I am overly concerned with looks, Thoughts? 

1984 Yamaha sbg 200. Listed on reverb.com at $550. A steal at that price. Better quality than that SG. 

nftuqvnoucbhuafv06nr.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I am sure I wouldn't keep it in tune long enough to notice the intonation.  I think they are supposed to be compensated.  Probably be fine, it just seemed kind of cheap to me as opposed to the tune-o-matics on $180 LP Specials.  Plot twist, the $1,400 Gibson is actually $1,499.  My wife may still call that $!,400, but to me it's $1,500.

I have always known Epiphone as cheap versions of Gibsons - usually from overseas, despite the company having a rich past.  Epiphone is to Gibson like Squire is to Fender.  Sort of like the gold top LP @munchmemory posted above. 

If Epiphone is on the same level as Squire, then they are damn good instruments. I have played a few Squires in music stores and I was shocked how good they were. I thought some were better Fenders for double the money.

56 minutes ago, genot said:

1984 Yamaha sbg 200. Listed on reverb.com at $550. A steal at that price. Better quality than that SG. 

nftuqvnoucbhuafv06nr.jpg

Quality?  I'm not looking for quality!  I play like crap anyway!  My buddy has an Ibanez like that, but it is bound.  Nice guitar but I prefer something thinner.  It's also like 40% more expensive.

19 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Quality?  I'm not looking for quality!  I play like crap anyway!  My buddy has an Ibanez like that, but it is bound.  Nice guitar but I prefer something thinner.  It's also like 40% more expensive.

Lol. Ok.That's a good price. I had an SBG 2000 years ago. Going for thousands now. They called it the Les Paul killer. Exaggeration. A good guitar though.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, nycdan said:

JPJ is probably my single greatest influence on my bass playing.  This is why.

Also, any version of the Lemon Song.  When I play with any new drummer, that's the test that tells me if we're going to work out.  I start playing it and see what he does.  It's Pass/Fail.

JPJ is the man

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

JPJ is probably my single greatest influence on my bass playing.  This is why.

Also, any version of the Lemon Song.  When I play with any new drummer, that's the test that tells me if we're going to work out.  I start playing it and see what he does.  It's Pass/Fail.

Like Page in those days, JPJ was an in-demand session player.  They both contributed to a ton of records from that era.  Not sure, but think they met doing the session for Donovan's "Hurdy Gurdy Man".  When Page was forming LZ, JPJ reached out and wanted in.  Page added him straight away.

24 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

As a kid bass player in garage bands back then, JPJ's work in "Ramble On" almost made me burn my bass.  Took me a while to get all the nuances down.  Still never played it with his cool, melodic bounce.

This is a really impressive cover of the Lemon Song bass/drum solo.

• Sympathy 1

46 minutes ago, nycdan said:

This is a really impressive cover of the Lemon Song bass/drum solo.

Had not seen that before.  Very impressive playing.

Found this gem a while back and shared it with a buddy of mine who is a LZ freak.  Check them out doing an early version of "The Lemon Song", then called "Killing Floor", at the Filmore West.  YouTube is an incredible resource for lost treasures like this one.  

4 hours ago, nycdan said:

I play both instruments but I don't have any Fenders.  I have played them and like them, but there are better instruments out there depending on your style and tastes.  I put more emphasis on action as I can usually adjust the sound downstream but you can't fix action.  The best stock guitar I've played for that (IMO) is the PRS.  That thing is like butter to me.  And the sound is great.  Really not sacrificing anything IMO in that regard.  And it's fking beautiful.

image.png

Then when it comes to basses, which is my primary, there is no substitute for a custom instrument.  I bought a Ken Smith 'Chuck Rainey' style bass about 20 years ago and it is far beyond any P-Bass ever made.  Was not cheap, but it's worth it.  I highly recommend going through that process once in your life, whether it's a guitar or bass.

I am a bass player, so I have little to no hands on with guitars.  I have always loved the clean sound of Strats.  Many who play then describe them as being harder to fret and in general harder to play than Less Pauls or most any other "new school" guitar yet, they love them best for many good reasons.   For recording, the Fender P is in my opinion the king of the studio for just about any style.  It just sits in the mix perfectly :) 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

My "nice" guitar is an early 90's American Standard tele that I picked up for $400 around 1995.  Some weird aqua color with a mother of toilet seat pickguard which was exactly what I was looking for.  

Other than my P-Bass, my BX-1 is the only other bass I held on to.  Too unique to part with. 

yamaha_bx1.jpg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

As a kid bass player in garage bands back then, JPJ's work in "Ramble On" almost made me burn my bass.  Took me a while to get all the nuances down.  Still never played it with his cool, melodic bounce.

JPJ harder to reproduce than Geddy Lee 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

I love the sound of a tele.  And I'm sure you heard this before... What would country music be without the Tele :-) Oddly enough, my absolute favorite bass ever is not a vintage Fender.  It is a modern hotrod version of the Fender P.  Fender used to call them a "deluxe P Bass and now they call them "American Elite"  It is actually a PJ bass.  Both the P and J pickups along with onboard electronics and a fast, slim J-Bass style neck.  I have a 1997 sunburst that I consider to be the holy grail.  Over the years I have had a pile of basses, but I have only held on to two of them.  That factory hotrod P-Bass and a fairly rare late 1980's Yamaha BX1. Very light, extremely versatile and by far the fastest neck I have ever payed on.  

yamaha_bx1.jpg

6 hours ago, THE BARON said:

I'm always wondering when the guitar player I see without a Strat or the bass player I see without a P-Bass will finally see the light.  

If you know the history, the P bass is significant  because it was the first electric bass that was widely  used by Pro musicians. People have said if Leo Fender should be remembered for anything, it should be for the precision bass. Personally I much prefer Fender Jazz basses and as of today, Fender is more or less living off its rep. The most popular  line they make is Squire. I actually see more people playing those than real Fenders because they are so damn cheap and are still great instruments. 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

If you know the history, the P bass is significant  because it was the first electric bass that was widely  used by Pro musicians. People have said if Leo Fender should be remembered for anything, it should be for the precision bass. Personally I much prefer Fender Jazz basses and as of today, Fender is more or less living off its rep. The most popular  line they make is Squire. I actually see more people playing those than real Fenders because they are so damn cheap and are still great instruments. 

I dig.  Still, I prefer to own and play the ones made in America.  If you like the J-Bass, I'm wondering if you ever saw/tried the Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass.  It is a Japanese made bass.  I've been mulling over buying one for the past year.  VERY nice bass. Compelling for many reasons.

• Sympathy 1

18 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

I dig.  Still, I prefer to own and play the ones made in America.  If you like the J-Bass, I'm wondering if you ever saw/tried the Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass.  It is a Japanese made bass.  I've been mulling over buying one for the past year.  VERY nice bass. Compelling for many reasons.

I have a 1970's Jazz Bass with the block inlays and bound neck. It's  the only one I ever owned. I did some modification to it. I put a bad ass bridge on it and swapped out the bridge pickup for a Seymour Duncan. I may have played that one if it's  the one with all the new electronics in it. I actually led the Squire I played that day better. My main bass is a Fodera. 

Resized_IMG_20190919_110419_505.jpeg

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I have a 1970's Jazz Bass with the block inlays and bound neck. It's  the only one I ever owned. I did some modification to it. I put a bad ass bridge on it and swapped out the bridge pickup for a Seymour Duncan. I may have played that one if it's  the one with all the new electronics in it. I actually led the Squire I played that day better. My main bass is a Fodera. 

Resized_IMG_20190919_110419_505.jpeg

I always calked Fodera "The Brooklyn Bass"   :) 

5 hours ago, THE BARON said:

JPJ harder to reproduce than Geddy Lee 

Not sure I can agree with that.  Geddy Lee has technical chops that are almost impossible for mortals to replicate.  JPJ's playing is beautiful but approachable in a way that Lee is not.

My Mt. Rushmore on any given day could include around 6-7 bassists, but if you press me right now:

JPJ, Geddy Lee, Stanley Clarke, Jaco.

All bring something VERY different to the table, and I have a little bit of all of them in what I do.  Leaving off Jamerson is hard but if you limit me to four...what's a guy to do?

• Upvote 1