Lets get some Gas in here!!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I should have know.  I thought this was a GAS (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome) thread, but I knew if it were SJ or JGB, it would just be regular gas.  

I have been considering:

1_Full_Straight_Front_NA-ec7069218f39d78

I am not much of a player, but I have a pretty nice collection, but it is mostly Fender based.  Figured I would try a lower end Epi.  I have been shying away from this one because I don't think I like the one piece bridge.  Even some of the cheaper ones have a tune-o-matic.  Then I saw that the Gibson P-90 version is $1,400 and has the same bridge.  I am overly concerned with looks, Thoughts? 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

21 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I should have know.  I thought this was a GAS (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome) thread, but I knew if it were SJ or JGB, it would just be regular gas.  

I have been considering:

I am not much of a player, but I have a pretty nice collection, but it is mostly Fender based.  Figured I would try a lower end Epi.  I have been shying away from this one because I don't think I like the one piece bridge.  Even some of the cheaper ones have a tune-o-matic.  Then I saw that the Gibson P-90 version is $1,400 and has the same bridge.  I am overly concerned with looks, Thoughts? 

Oooh.  Sharp axe, dude.

Epiphone's new Inspired by Gibson line looks impressive.   I've wanted a LP Goldtop for decades.  Just totally beyond what I want to spend.  Epiphone's version looks tempting.

front-banner-500_500.png

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I have been considering:

Unless you think there will be problems with the intonation, I think you're being overly concerned with the bridge. Epiphone from what I know about them are better known for semi hollow and hollow body guitars. Never really seen anyone with a solid body like this one,

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Oooh.  Sharp axe, dude.

Epiphone's new Inspired by Gibson line looks impressive.   I've wanted a LP Goldtop for decades.  Just totally beyond what I want to spend.  Epiphone's version looks tempting.

front-banner-500_500.png

Sweet!  The singer in my buddy's band had an old Les Paul.  We used to think it was a crappy Epi.  He treated it like trash, it was filthy and gray and I don't think headstocks were different then.  They had a rehearsal space and one day we were in there and I picked it up off the stand and wiped it down.  it turned out to be an insanely nice Gibson Les Paul Custom.  Thing is probably worth about $10K these days.  I think the story was that his Dad gave it to him and he was pissed at his Dad, so didn't take care of it.  

• Sympathy 1

33 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Unless you think there will be problems with the intonation, I think you're being overly concerned with the bridge. Epiphone from what I know about them are better known for semi hollow and hollow body guitars. Never really seen anyone with a solid body like this one,

I am sure I wouldn't keep it in tune long enough to notice the intonation.  I think they are supposed to be compensated.  Probably be fine, it just seemed kind of cheap to me as opposed to the tune-o-matics on $180 LP Specials.  Plot twist, the $1,400 Gibson is actually $1,499.  My wife may still call that $!,400, but to me it's $1,500.

I have always known Epiphone as cheap versions of Gibsons - usually from overseas, despite the company having a rich past.  Epiphone is to Gibson like Squire is to Fender.  Sort of like the gold top LP @munchmemory posted above. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

I have been considering:

Try to find a Japan Market only Epiphone - they have the same ‘Open Book’ headstock as a Gibson, are full weight, and made by Fujigen - makers of Ibanez Prestige lines and all the great Import Charvels of the 80s.  Bought a Goldtop LP in great condition on eBay for around $900 and installed vintage locking tuners and EMG Alnico Retroactive 55s.  It plays better than any Gibson I’ve picked up in GC.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

Oooh.  Sharp axe, dude.

front-banner-500_500.png

My “Gibson,” is the Tokai LoveRock version of this from the ‘80s. Super sweet. 

• Sympathy 2

54 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Sweet!  The singer in my buddy's band had an old Les Paul.  We used to think it was a crappy Epi.  He treated it like trash, it was filthy and gray and I don't think headstocks were different then.  They had a rehearsal space and one day we were in there and I picked it up off the stand and wiped it down.  it turned out to be an insanely nice Gibson Les Paul Custom.  Thing is probably worth about $10K these days.  I think the story was that his Dad gave it to him and he was pissed at his Dad, so didn't take care of it.  

OMG.  So many of those stories about the unknown nature of vintage instruments.  I have friends who were real musicians in the 60s-70s who bought Stratocasters and Fender Twin Reverbs from parents/grandparents for nearly nothing.  Their kids had moved and they just wanted the stuff out of the garage/attic.

This will take you back some: As a kid one Xmas, I got a Silvertone guitar (three pickups and a tremolo bar) and amp.  Had it for years sitting in my closet until my Mom pitched it when I was at college.  Not exactly sure why, but those Silvertone guitars and amps are worth a fortune.   I can't imagine what my pre-CBS Precision would be worth today.  Think I sold it in the late 70s for like $400.  

I have been considering:

I'm always wondering when the guitar player I see without a Strat or the bass player I see without a P-Bass will finally see the light.  

I have been considering:

Angus would approve of the SG... 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, slats said:

My “Gibson,” is the Tokai LoveRock version of this from the ‘80s. Super sweet. 

Between the Flying V and Goldtop, I don't think more beautiful guitars were ever created.   Kudos on your axe.

Have heard of Tokai guitars but know nothing about them.  Just looking on Reverb at an 80s model.  F*cking thing is gorgeous.  Used, it's $2,500.   Wow.  

23 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Between the Flying V and Goldtop, I don't think more beautiful guitars were ever created.   Kudos on your axe.

Have heard of Tokai guitars but know nothing about them.  Just looking on Reverb at an 80s model.  F*cking thing is gorgeous.  Used, it's $2,500.   Wow.  

It’s great. I have the Ibanez Flying V, too, which was the first “lawsuit” guitar that I ever heard of. 

• Sympathy 2

39 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

OMG.  So many of those stories about the unknown nature of vintage instruments.  I have friends who were real musicians in the 60s-70s who bought Stratocasters and Fender Twin Reverbs from parents/grandparents for nearly nothing.  Their kids had moved and they just wanted the stuff out of the garage/attic.

This will take you back some: As a kid one Xmas, I got a Silvertone guitar (three pickups and a tremolo bar) and amp.  Had it for years sitting in my closet until my Mom pitched it when I was at college.  Not exactly sure why, but those Silvertone guitars and amps are worth a fortune.   I can't imagine what my pre-CBS Precision would be worth today.  Think I sold it in the late 70s for like $400.  

I never throw out or sell anything.  Stuff gets stolen though.  My first guitar was an absolutely gorgeous Aria Pro II start.   Candy apple red with gold hardware and no pickguard. 80's. Stolen in the late  Silvertone was the Sears guitar right?  I thought they were re-branded Danelectros?.  The Masonite ones.  I had been considering one of them before the SG.  

I always figured rock guys used LPs, but I remember hearing that Page recorded all of LZ1 on a tele.  Then I saw this:

jimmy019.jpg 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

45 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

I'm always wondering when the guitar player I see without a Strat or the bass player I see without a P-Bass will finally see the light.  

I play both instruments but I don't have any Fenders.  I have played them and like them, but there are better instruments out there depending on your style and tastes.  I put more emphasis on action as I can usually adjust the sound downstream but you can't fix action.  The best stock guitar I've played for that (IMO) is the PRS.  That thing is like butter to me.  And the sound is great.  Really not sacrificing anything IMO in that regard.  And it's fking beautiful.

image.png

Then when it comes to basses, which is my primary, there is no substitute for a custom instrument.  I bought a Ken Smith 'Chuck Rainey' style bass about 20 years ago and it is far beyond any P-Bass ever made.  Was not cheap, but it's worth it.  I highly recommend going through that process once in your life, whether it's a guitar or bass.

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I never throw out or sell anything.  Stuff gets stolen though.  My first guitar was an absolutely gorgeous Aria Pro II start.   Candy apple red with gold hardware and no pickguard. 80's. Stolen in the late  Silvertone was the Sears guitar right?  I thought they were re-branded Danelectros?.  The Masonite ones.  I had been considering one of them before the SG.  

I always figured rock guys used LPs, but I remember hearing that Page recorded all of LZ1 on a tele.  Then I saw this:

jimmy019.jpg 

Yeah, most folks don't know that Page's main axe was his classic Dragon Tele.  It was a gift from Jeff Beck after Page recommended him for the Yardbirds.  Page then painted and decorated with mirrors, etc.  And he did all the Zeppelin slide stuff with that Danelectro.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

My "nice" guitar is an early 90's American Standard tele that I picked up for $400 around 1995.  Some weird aqua color with a mother of toilet seat pickguard which was exactly what I was looking for.  

• Upvote 1